Best Software for a MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am about to purchase a new MacBook Pro and I was wondering what the best software is for it. I already have Office for Mac 2011 and I intend to buy iWork but I don't know if there is anything else I should buy in order to get the most out of my MBP! Some ideas of software I would be interested in: Photo & video editing, music making & mixing, website design, presentations, word processing and publications (I know the majority of these are covered by iLife and Office for Mac but I was wondering if there is any other software which does a better job).

If you have any ideas for good accessories for a MBP then please can you tell me on my other thread here.

Thanks,

AppleLover123

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover123 View Post

I am about to purchase a new MacBook Pro and I was wondering what the best software is for it. I already have Office for Mac 2011 and I intend to buy iWork but I don't know if there is anything else I should buy in order to get the most out of my MBP!

If you have any ideas for good accessories for a MBP then please can you tell me on my other thread here.

Thanks,

AppleLover123

It's not cheap, but Omnigraffle is one of my favorite applications. It complements Office well since there is no version of Visio for the Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover123 View Post

I am about to purchase a new MacBook Pro and I was wondering what the best software is for it. I already have Office for Mac 2011 and I intend to buy iWork but I don't know if there is anything else I should buy in order to get the most out of my MBP!

Thanks,

AppleLover123

Why don't you make a list of things that you would like to do with your computer. The forum can help you match software to your needs.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

It's not cheap, but Omnigraffle is one of my favorite applications. It complements Office well since there is no version of Visio for the Mac.

Looks great! Definetly one to consider, thanks
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Why don't you make a list of things that you would like to do with your computer. The forum can help you match software to your needs.

Good idea! I have added some suggestions to the original post
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoDodorant View Post

Have you already got an external HD to make your backups on? Have you already got a router for wireless internet in your house? Apple combines the two in TimeCapsule, which works seamlessly, and wirelessly, together with the TimeMachine backup software already on your new MBP in a super convenient "fire & forget" scenario.

For security you may want to install iAlertU, to prevent theft, and Prey, to track down your stolen MBP when prevention has failed. Both free.

I already have an external HD and a wireless router but I do like the Time Capsule. Maybe a possibility for the future.

iAlertU and Prey look great! Definetly ones to get, thanks!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

word processing and publications

That’s a very broad area.

For writing process, nothing tops Scrivener for research, organizing, rearranging, notetaking, and writing drafts. Easy exports to various formats (.rtf is native).

For general writing,Nisus Writer Pro works well, unless you have extensive footnotes, then it slows down.

For academic writing and long documents,Mellel is rock solid, has multiple footnote(or endnote or both) streams, powerful style sheets (very different than Word styles), and extensive auto-title capabilities. It also handles Hebrew correctly within English documents. In 7+ years, never has crashed.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    i dont use mac so i dont know, but for ur needs i surfed and find out that openoffice.org which is free and supports word docs and u can create edit word docs and it supports for mac 10.4 or higher