Apple leaks "iPhone 4S" product name in latest iTunes beta

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With just days to go before the company is expected to detail its latest iPhone offerings, Apple has let slip references to an iPhone 4S in its latest iTunes beta.

References to the much-used iPhone 4S moniker could be found in the Info.plist file of the MobileDevices bundle that was included with the ninth beta of iTune 10.5 released Friday. .

Specifically, device preferences for Item 7 and Item 8 in the Info.plist file describe a black and white iPhone 4S whose display icons (below) depict models that look identical to the existing black and white CDMA iPhone 4 introduced earlier this year.

The discovery can be seen as further evidence that Apple is gearing up to introduce iPhones next Tuesday, Oct. 4th that bundle an 8MP camera, 512MB of RAM, support for HSPA+ and the iPad 2's A5 processor and dual graphics, but do so in a the current CMDA iPhone 4 design.

However, the new iPhone 4S is expected to be a dual-mode phone, meaning the same iPhone 4S can be used on either CDMA or GSM networks. Currently, Apple markets separate iPhone 4 models for CDMA and GSM networks.

Talk of Apple taking a dual-route strategy this year by releasing both an iPhone 4S and a more advanced iPhone 5 began to cool off this week, with leaked parts and casings all pointing to a product dubbed iPhone 4S.

In addition, insider Ming-Chi Kuo reported that his industry checks turned up no sign of a redesigned iPhone 5 in the pipeline. Instead, he told AppleInsider that Apple was manufacturing a model that looks largely the same as the current iPhone 4, only with an improved antenna design.

Dubbed "N94," the new iPhone model will reportedly also use the same Gorilla glass for its back panel. Kuo also said it will be available in both black and white models at launch, and 60 percent of units assembled so far have been of the black variety.

Echoing a report from earlier this month, he also said that Foxconn will be responsible for manufacturing 85 percent of Apple's fifth-generation iPhone units. The other 15 percent will reportedly be assembled by Pegatron.

Each will run iOS 5, which is rumored to bundle new voice recognition technology in the form of a new application dubbed Assistant, which will allow users to speak to their iPhone and accomplish a number of tasks through natural language, like sending text messages, looking up information, or scheduling an appointment.

The functionality is believed to stem from Siri, a "personal assistant" application for the iPhone that Apple purchased in April of 2010.

In all Apple is said to be building 30 million fifth-generation iPhone units by the end of calendar 2011. If Apple were to meet that goal and sell all of the handsets in the holiday quarter, it would easily best the record 20.34 million iPhones Apple sold in its June 2011 quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 303
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Hopefully there's also "just one more thing" in the form of an iPhone 5. I'm not sure a basic spec bump after 15+ months will be worthwhile for many. Perhaps there will be an "S" with immediate availability (and a lower price), and an iPhone 5 available a few weeks later.
  • Reply 2 of 303
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They must be going to emphasise the software features in iOS 5 that only run on this new device.
  • Reply 3 of 303
    Yup...I think that tells the story. We've all over shot the runway with our OCD coverage and speculation of Apple's next move. They've been working round the clock to bring us the new voice feature in iOS 5, and we've ruined the surprise.

We did the same things with the Macbook Pros earlier this year. We were all positive there was going to be a thinner, lighter redesign, and it turns out there wasn't.

I'm disappointed (and a little surprised) there isn't a redesign, given the near 18 month wait for the next-gen iPhone. But, there's nothing I can do about it. I think there are going to be some more disappointed people out there.
  • Reply 4 of 303
    You must be kidding me. Wait more than a year just to update cpu and camera?

I hope that's not true. Otherwise, AAPL trading at $381 two days before iPhone 4s introduction means all insiders are so ethical on the stock market.

I would believe this piece of news if AAPL closes below $350 on Monday.
  • Reply 5 of 303
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Hopefully there's also "just one more thing" in the form of an iPhone 5. I'm not sure a basic spec bump after 15+ months will be worthwhile for many.

Most of the worth comes in iOS 5 anyhow. Most iPhone customers probably couldn't give a hoot about the features - Apple know this - price is probably more of an issue. An improved camera and faster processor along with iOS 5 will be more than enough for 9/10 buyers. 3GS are still on sale today and being sold to consumers who will still have a great phone and great OS. It would bother those of us who frequent AI but not most consumers.
  • Reply 6 of 303
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Maybe the one that was lost in a bar just looked like an iPhone 4 and the person that found it didn't realize it was special.
  • Reply 7 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Maybe the one that was lost in a bar just looked like an iPhone 4 and the person that found it didn't realize it was special.

He probably only sold it for $9.99 because it doesn't turn on.
  • Reply 8 of 303
    Well if just this new iPhone 4S launches, I guess that's cool. Sure did save Apple time on designing a new one. Hopefully all that time saved will have been put towards improving the design flaws of the current iPhone 4. I'm all for recycling the old design and focusing on the flaws, creating a better product. By the time an iPhone 5 comes out, it will probably be completely redesigned and hopefully they would have had enough time to fix any problems with the redesign BEFORE it launches. Unlike what happened with the iPhone 4. Plus, this would be great for accessory manufacturers, not having to come out with a new design. Plus, customers won't have to buy new cases! It's a win-win for everyone.
  • Reply 9 of 303
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Two other options:

1) They made an honest mistake in leaving in the 4S models but not the 5 model.

2) It's APple's disinformation.

It would be easy enough to automatically test for the words iPhone 4S, or iPhone 5 on submission to every build, in the info.plist or strings file. And to manually test before release that the info.plist file does not have any reference to any future model. Make that one person's job, and he fails it at the risk of his job. It can even be "cross-checked" by his manager at the risk of his job. I do think that Apple is engaging in lots of dis-information about what is actually going to be released on Tueday. For whatever reason. Maybe they were warry about the fall off in sales last year, with the announcements about the iPhone 4.

However I do believe the market will re-act very badly to this, if this is true and all we get.
  • Reply 10 of 303
    Boy, things are really not looking good for a redesigned iPhone 5. Too bad, as I was really hoping for a larger screen...

I wonder what would happen if Apple decided to lower the prices of all iPhone models to compensate for the lack of major changes? I'm thinking the current iPhone 4 takes the 3GS's spot at $49, the 16 GB 4S at $99, the 32GB at $199, and the 64GB (if there is one) at $299. Would that make enough of a difference to encourage people to upgrade?

There is also still the possibility that the 4S is going to be introduced as the low end model. It is important to note that there are only two placeholders in the system, one for black and one for white. Apple typically only offers the low-end model in an 8GB capacity, while offering more options for the current generation device. So, its possible we are looking at the low-end model in one size but with two color options.

Thank goodness the announcement is only days away. The rumors roller-coaster is really starting to get to me!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post

Well if just this new iPhone 4S launches, I guess that's cool. Sure did save Apple time on designing a new one. Hopefully all that time saved will have been put towards improving the design flaws of the current iPhone 4. I'm all for recycling the old design and focusing on the flaws, creating a better product. By the time an iPhone 5 comes out, it will probably be completely redesigned and hopefully they would have had enough time to fix any problems with the redesign BEFORE it launches. Unlike what happened with the iPhone 4. Plus, this would be great for accessory manufacturers, not having to come out with a new design. Plus, customers won't have to buy new cases! It's a win-win for everyone.

Except for those of us yearning for a larger screen...
  • Reply 11 of 303
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Most of the worth comes in iOS 5 anyhow. Most iPhone customers probably couldn't give a hoot about the features - Apple know this - price is probably more of an issue. An improved camera and faster processor along with iOS 5 will be more than enough for 9/10 buyers. 3GS are still on sale today and being sold to consumers who will still have a great phone and great OS. It would bother those of us who frequent AI but not most consumers.

True, Assistant sounds interesting, but Apple is usually the kind of company that emphasizes design. A larger screen or a refresh would help psychologically since it would help people justify making a new purchase. Maybe they are waiting for LTE for a radical external redesign. That said, the A5, 1GB RAM, and potentially HSPA+ are pretty significant.
  • Reply 12 of 303
    I might sit on the sideline this time around. I don't think i can spend over 600 dollars on an iPhone 4 with minor speed bumps. i am holding onto my iPhone 4 or i will get a htc or samsung phone until apple comes out with the iPhone 5 new year.
  • Reply 13 of 303
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Android phones have already seen larger displays, curved glass, 3D displays, NFC, 4G, 1.5 GHz dual-core processors, 1 GB RAM, 8 MP cameras, etc. Quad-core processors and 16 MP cameras are about to hit Android phones soon.

I'm seriously hoping Apple has an iPhone 5 surprise planned for next week. If the best Apple can deliver in 16 months is an iPhone 4 chassis with some iPad 2 upgrades, there will be some disappointed people and investors. iOS 5 mostly seems to play catchup with Android and Windows Phone, so most of the new software features are a "been there, done that."
  • Reply 14 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Android phones have already seen larger displays, curved glass, 3D displays, NFC, 4G, 1.5 GHz dual-core processors, 1 GB RAM, 8 MP cameras, etc. Quad-core processors and 16 MP cameras are about to hit Android phones soon.

I'm seriously hoping Apple has an iPhone 5 surprise planned for next week. If the best Apple can deliver in 16 months is an iPhone 4 chassis with some iPad 2 upgrades, there will be some disappointed people and investors. iOS 5 mostly seems to play catchup with Android and Windows Phone, so most of the new software features are a "been there, done that."

This.
  • Reply 15 of 303
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    This tells us nothing other than confirming the device name. In previous betas existing device images have been used as placeholders during betas. In this instance they are using the iPhone 4 CDMA images as placeholders.

Ultimately we will find out on Tuesday.

Oh, just so you know, the developer beta has neither been pulled or modified from its original release on Friday. But hey, that just wouldn't be sensational now would it.
  • Reply 16 of 303
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Judging by stock price it looks like we will not see a redesign. I think the lack of a new design may be very bad mojo for apple. If there is no NFC, no redesign and only a minor spec bulb I think we may see a lot of high end techy people leaving the iPhone and with them perhaps the high end devs as well. I would be very disappointed as I feel that apple really needs something special this time around aside from personal assistant that I don't see myself using ( at least from what I have seen of it)
  • Reply 17 of 303
    jumperjumper Posts: 34member
    I don't believe that this is the only phone Apple will release next week. I'm all ready to buy the new IPhone 5 but only if it has a larger screen. Otherwise the current Iphone 4 I have will have to hold for another year. A faster cpu or more memory is not that important to me as my current phone works just fine. Actually I might even look at a few droids(with larger screens) to hold me over till next year.

What a big disappointment this will be for millions of Apple fans and a big let down for Cook if this is his first product out the door for him.
  • Reply 18 of 303
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

This.

yep, this!
  • Reply 19 of 303
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Oh, just so you know, the developer beta has neither been pulled or modified from its original release on Friday. But hey, that just wouldn't be sensational now would it.

That was in the article.
  • Reply 20 of 303
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    [removed, AI fixed it]