No iphone 5 this year

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Cant say too much.but I have already seen the new stuff. Oct 4 release is 4s with same shape as 4. Hard to notice diffs. 5 is for the next year. So does ipad3 with hi-def screen. Have to wait another release to chang my phone, damn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Since when do you know anything about computers, Sakaki?

Last I heard, you were having trouble with P-Pets, even.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I think that there will be an iPhone 5 released this year because the name of the event is "Lets Talk iPhone" there will be a bigger cause for the event that is only about iPhones than just releasing the 4S. And how have you seen the new products?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pchipchip View Post

I think that there will be an iPhone 5 released this year because the name of the event is "Lets Talk iPhone" there will be a bigger cause for the event that is only about iPhones than just releasing the 4S.

Except the 3GS was pretty much the only thing at WWDC in its year.

Quote:

And how have you seen the new products?

He hasn't.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's not true. The 3GS was announced at WWDC 2009. First, though, they announced updates to the macbook, macbook air, and macbook pros. Second, they announced Snow Leopard. Third, they announced iPhone OS 3. Finally , at the very end they announced the 3GS (more than an hour in to it). They only spend about 10 minutes talking about it, almost like an afterthought. They spend much more time on each of the operating systems.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post

That's not true. The 3GS was announced at WWDC 2009. First, though, they announced updates to the macbook, macbook air, and macbook pros. Second, they announced Snow Leopard. Third, they announced iPhone OS 3. Finally , at the very end they announced the 3GS (more than an hour in to it). They only spend about 10 minutes talking about it, almost like an afterthought. They spend much more time on each of the operating systems.

Ah, apologies. My memory isn't what it has ever been, and I've not seen that keynote in a while.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pchipchip View Post

I think that there will be an iPhone 5 released this year because the name of the event is "Lets Talk iPhone" there will be a bigger cause for the event that is only about iPhones than just releasing the 4S. And how have you seen the new products?

Dual mode iPhone 4S with new design, 8G cheaper iphone4, iOS 5 with tons of new features. They are big enough. iOS 5 contains more features than we expected. iOS is the keyrole here then new iphones are following.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He hasn't.

I actually used it for weeks. Believe it or not. Keep you wallet for more months, and you will enjoy the feast of iPhone5 and iPad3 in one shot.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sakaki View Post

Dual mode iPhone 4S with new design

By DEFINITION in the rumor community, the iPhone 4S does NOT have a new design. The iPhone 4S has the same design as the iPhone 4. The iPhone 5 is the one with a new design.

Quote:

I actually used it for weeks. Believe it or not. Keep you wallet for more months, and you will enjoy the feast of iPhone5 and iPad3 in one shot.

You're completely insane. If an iPhone 4S exists, there can be no iPhone 5. And if you're insinuating the iPad 3 is coming out yet this year, come on, man.

Not that this:
    Quote:

Dual mode iPhone 4S… …8G cheaper iphone4, iOS 5 with tons of new features.

doesn't sound EXACTLY like what Apple will do. I mean, SPOT. ON.

But the rest? Nope.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:

It always was a possibility

That Apple would disappoint at tomorrow's event.

That apart from iOS 5 Apple would not introduce anything new except for a slighlty upgraded iPhone 4 (let's call it 4S) with a universal GSM/CDMA chip, plus perhaps a 8GB cheaper variant (whether that be the 'old' iPhone 4 or an 8GB version of the 4S - both possible).

Yet if that is all they are going to show tomorrow, it will be a huge disappointment to many.

Not because iOS 5 won't have nice features, but many were hoping for a design refresh for the holiday season.

A smartphone is not merely about software, as Apple perhaps deludes itself, people actually do want a choice on form factors too.

As I cannot see Apple still offering the 3GS alongside the iPhone 4 and 4S Apple will effectively be a one-model shop for the all-important holiday and new year buying season. Not so good IMHO.

Some people actually do like bigger screens for example. The answer to tiny text on a tiny screen is not the introduction of voice commands! I'm sure the feature is cool, but is utterly useless in many public places, or trains where you are asked not to make phone calls.

Wait for how much longer?

There was already no new iPhone in June. Apple is already 1/3 of a year late...

Now on top of that what is 'more months'. 2? 4? 6? If Apple is seriously going to wait until March/April to release the iPhone5 and iPadHD then this is opening a massive window for Android phones and tablets. Apple would basically be giving their market lead away for free...

And I do not believe the iTunes ecosystem nor iOS 5 will be compelling enough to keep everyone interested in iPhones.

And as enough people use tablets to watch movies, having an 'HD' option will certainly be a very compelling Android tablet feature for many.

It would be rather dumb (delusional?) to think these don't matter.

Yet there have been reports of technical issues with the iPhone 5's screen. We don't know how serious these are. Apple might have been forced to abandon the iPhone 5 introduction for 2011. They might even consider waiting for the LTE chipsets and offer a truly universal GSM/CDMA/LTE iPhone 5 some time next year.

Still if they wait too long, they will lose too much momentum and people will eventually view them as 'having lost steam' and 'having abandoned innovation'...

Either way they will lose something.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

It always was a possibility

That Apple would disappoint at tomorrow's event.

That apart from iOS 5 Apple would not introduce anything new except for a slighlty upgraded iPhone 4 (let's call it 4S) with a universal GSM/CDMA chip, plus perhaps a 8GB cheaper variant (whether that be the 'old' iPhone 4 or an 8GB version of the 4S - both possible).

New hardware is seldom a disappointment. Even if iPhone 5 does come tomorrow apple will still sell massive amounts of the 4S. IPhone 4 is a very capable unit, an upgrade is a great way to keep selling this tool.

Quote:

Yet if that is all they are going to show tomorrow, it will be a huge disappointment to many.

Not because iOS 5 won't have nice features, but many were hoping for a design refresh for the holiday season.

Rational people don't care what the iPhone looks like, they realize the important thing is the screen and that the rest gets covered with a case. Beyond that Apple has demonstrated clearly that people prefer stable hardware designs. Continued strong sales of iPhone 4 indicate that a solid hardware and software combo will sell well for a long time.

Quote:

A smartphone is not merely about software, as Apple perhaps deludes itself, people actually do want a choice on form factors too.

You haven't matured past the idea that a cell phone is a fashion accessory. It isn't anymore, Apple has turned the cell phone into a powerful pocketable tool. The perfect iPhone would be a pane with enormous computational power to drive the software stack.

Quote:

As I cannot see Apple still offering the 3GS alongside the iPhone 4 and 4S Apple will effectively be a one-model shop for the all-important holiday and new year buying season. Not so good IMHO.

That is very narrow minded. People aren't that dumb, they understand features.

Quote:

Some people actually do like bigger screens for example. The answer to tiny text on a tiny screen is not the introduction of voice commands! I'm sure the feature is cool, but is utterly useless in many public places, or trains where you are asked not to make phone calls.

I'm all for a larger screen but that really has nothing to do with voice commands.

Quote:

Wait for how much longer?

There was already no new iPhone in June. Apple is already 1/3 of a year late...

Now on top of that what is 'more months'. 2? 4? 6? If Apple is seriously going to wait until March/April to release the iPhone5 and iPadHD then this is opening a massive window for Android phones and tablets. Apple would basically be giving their market lead away for free...

More garbage! If Apple was having trouble with Android it certainly isn't showing up in sales. Remember cell phones are not fashion pieces anymore they are now tools. As such Apple has the best software stack going. It is very much a game of software and services now, no body gives a hoot as to what the phone looks like. These days it is about execution performance.

Quote:

And I do not believe the iTunes ecosystem nor iOS 5 will be compelling enough to keep everyone interested in iPhones.

Then you would be a fool. These services combined with improved hardware will drive sales.

Look at it this way iPhones sales success are not the result of it's looks. The expansion in sales is directly related firming up software, the success of app store and so forth.

Quote:

And as enough people use tablets to watch movies, having an 'HD' option will certainly be a very compelling Android tablet feature for many.

It would be rather dumb (delusional?) to think these don't matter.

Maybe you haven't noticed but IPad isn't optimal for movies and never will be with the current aspect ratio.

Quote:

Yet there have been reports of technical issues with the iPhone 5's screen. We don't know how serious these are. Apple might have been forced to abandon the iPhone 5 introduction for 2011. They might even consider waiting for the LTE chipsets and offer a truly universal GSM/CDMA/LTE iPhone 5 some time next year.

Maybe maybe not. These rumors often crop up well after a solution to a problem is found. Sometimes I have to think people on this forum have never tried to develop anything new, there are always obsticals to over come. I don't know if those issues are even real or for that matter if Apple ever intended to deliver what many are calling iPhone 5 this year.

Quote:

Still if they wait too long, they will lose too much momentum and people will eventually view them as 'having lost steam' and 'having abandoned innovation'...

Either way they will lose something.

Loose? Loose what? If they come out with the 4S as described in the forums here they will succeed massively because the rumored features would result in a far more powerful and flexible tool.

Apple changed the cell market forever, in many cases the cell in the guise of iPhone 4 has become the tool for the professional. People are actually dependent on them.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Sounds good to me. "Pro" would fit in with their Mac Marketing.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Rational people don't care what the iPhone looks like, they realize the important thing is the screen and that the rest gets covered with a case. Beyond that Apple has demonstrated clearly that people prefer stable hardware designs. Continued strong sales of iPhone 4 indicate that a solid hardware and software combo will sell well for a long time.

Hang on, you're making some unforgivable generalizations here.

First of all, 'rational people' come in a lot of flavors, and I am certain that some-perhaps most- of those flavors do care what their iPhone looks like. Apple is aware of this: why do you think it introduces models in white?

You are right, though, in stating that a solid hardware and software combo sell well- but if you put that combo in an attractive package, it will sell even better. This has been a crucial part of Apple's strategy for a long time.

Quote:

You haven't matured past the idea that a cell phone is a fashion accessory. It isn't anymore, Apple has turned the cell phone into a powerful pocketable tool.

Why so hostile?

You are correct that the iPhone is a powerful tool, but you need to understand that whether someone considers a phone an accessory has nothing to do with his or her maturity. In fact, one might say that questioning another person's maturity because they hold a different opinion is in itself a sign of questionable maturity.

In other words, for many people, a cell phone is indeed a fashion accessory, and there's nothing wrong or immature about it: it merely represents a different set of priorities.

Quote:

That is very narrow minded.

Pot, meet kettle.

Now, how about calming down, and having a reasonable exchange of ideas?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe Blue View Post

Hang on, you're making some unforgivable generalizations here.

Not really.

Quote:

First of all, 'rational people' come in a lot of flavors, and I am certain that some-perhaps most- of those flavors do care what their iPhone looks like. Apple is aware of this: why do you think it introduces models in white?

White / Black how much of that color do you really see. Especially after a case is put on the unit. These days cases are purchased as much for personalization as anything else. Fundamentally the iPhone is a flat panel, there isn't really much that Apple can do with it.

Quote:

You are right, though, in stating that a solid hardware and software combo sell well- but if you put that combo in an attractive package, it will sell even better. This has been a crucial part of Apple's strategy for a long time.

Yes, a very important element.

Quote:

Why so hostile?

The words weren't chosen to be hostile. Apple has forced the cell market to change dramatically and I don't think everyone has grasped this yet. iPhone is a tool and has forced people to see or value cell phones differently now.

Quote:

You are correct that the iPhone is a powerful tool, but you need to understand that whether someone considers a phone an accessory has nothing to do with his or her maturity. In fact, one might say that questioning another person's maturity because they hold a different opinion is in itself a sign of questionable maturity.

Well we can argue that point if we really want to but I see it as a personality defect, especially in males, to be obsessed with fashion. It is all about excessive attachment to worldly goods and fashion is very worldly.

Quote:

In other words, for many people, a cell phone is indeed a fashion accessory, and there's nothing wrong or immature about it: it merely represents a different set of priorities.

Currently their is a limit to how much design latitude Apple has with the iPhone. As long as they need a flat panel for the UI their won't be huge variability in iPhone design. In any event the priorities you are talking about are meant with the plethora of cases available for iPhones.

Quote:

Pot, meet kettle.

Now, how about calming down, and having a reasonable exchange of ideas?

I'm not sure what got you so excited. This obsession with design (not yours but on the forums in general) puzzles me. iPhone is nothing more than a panel of glass with a chassis behind it. Until Apple can get rid of that hard panel what do people really expect? A slightly tapered iPhone, if so what possible allure does that have, the UI panel is still there, I/O has to be placed someplace on one or more of the edges. In the end Apple is confined to a box design wise.

Note that I don't dismiss the value of a thinner iPhone. I just don't see good reason to be dwelling on it. If the technology is there great, if not there is nothing wrong with the iPhone 4's chassis.

The other way to look at this is the iMac or Mini. We don't see major design overhauls on these every time their is a bump. In the case of these machines the design if far more apparent to the casual observer.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Note that I don't dismiss the value of a thinner iPhone. I just don't see good reason to be dwelling on it. If the technology is there great, if not there is nothing wrong with the iPhone 4's chassis.

I've never seen the thickness as a big deal. We're pretty close to the point where it won't make much of a difference. If it doesn't create a significant pocket bulge of discomfort of any kind when used in conjunction with a case or bumper for protection, the device should be fine. The iphone presently doesn't seem to have those kinds of issues. Does anyone really find it heavy or notice it much when stored in a pocket?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    wizard69, I normally really enjoy your posts but I felt your tone was a bit too harsh. I had not attacked you in any way, why are you so aggressive?

Are you in a bad mood? If so, that's OK, we all have your bad days...

I feel you were generalizing too much (while perhaps only speaking for yourself?).

Different people have different preferences.

And that does not make them fools or irrational.

Quote:

Rational people don't care what the iPhone looks like, they realize the important thing is the screen and that the rest gets covered with a case.

I do not like cases for example. What is the point of buying a beautifully designed object - only to put it in a cheap plastic or silicone case? Might as well buy a cheap plastic object in the first place! At least design-wise there would be little difference.

To me this is akin to buying the latest Audi car model, removing the chassis and putting it into a cheap generic brand chassis. Yeah, you get the same motor and speed, but the ride won't feel the same...

I get enjoyment from holding - directly and immediately - a beautifully designed item in my hand. Maybe this is not 'rational', but it has value to me.

To protect the phone when not in use I carry it in a leather sleeve e.g. the Sena Ultraslim. And the fact that such sleeves exist tells me that I am not the only person who does not want a case that covers everything but the screen.

Quote:

You haven't matured past the idea that a cell phone is a fashion accessory. It isn't anymore, Apple has turned the cell phone into a powerful pocketable tool.

As Joe Blue was saying, the real winner is having both: a fashion accessory that is also a highly capable phone.

Why limit yourself to one of the two? Is that 'rational'?

Quote:

I'm all for a larger screen but that really has nothing to do with voice commands.

This is how you see it. I see it differently: for someone who can barely read tiny text on a small screen a solution could be a voice interface: speaking commands into the phone and receiving results spoken. Yet a better solution is probably just a bigger screen.

For these people Apple does not really offer any iPhone and forces them to shop elsewhere.

If all iPhone models have the same screen size, none of their other options are real choices.

Even Macs and iPods come with different screen sizes.

Quote:

More garbage!

No need for such strong language. I have not insulted you, why do you insult me?

Quote:

Maybe you haven't noticed but IPad isn't optimal for movies and never will be with the current aspect ratio.

I was not talking about iPads but Android tablets being offered at 'HD' resolutions. And many of these tablets have 16:9 aspect ratios.

Maybe you would never watch any movies on your iPad, but there are a lot of people who do want to show their own HD home movies to other people on a portable screen that is larger than a mobile phone.

To quote you 'they realize the important thing is the screen' and as such an Android tablet with an HD resolution is a more compelling product than the current iPad.

Underestimating the competition is what allowed the iPhone to become so big in the first place.

Apple should just not make the same mistake as well.