iPhone 4S = High-End. iPhone 5 = Mid-Range, iPod touch replacement? Discuss

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
That's my guess. What do you guys think of this scenario? Has the iPod touch become too limited in its functionality? If it hasn't, shouldn't Apple kill it before it does become limited - like they always do?

8GB & 16GB iPhone 5 = 4" display, A4 proc. with 512GB RAM, 3.5MP camera (no flash), world phone, etc.

16GB, 32GB & 64GB iPhone 4S = 3.5" display, A5 proc. with 1GB RAM "with Assistant", 8MP (1080p) camera (yes flash), world phone, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    My guess.

Only "4S". Modified Verizon iPhone with SIM tray (or embedded SIM) and necessary antennas. A5 chip. Rest of the specs are the same.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    No... if something like that happened, iP 5 would be the high end, iP 4 would be lower.

It's simple marketing... the newer/next number HAS to be the newer/better phone.

Assuming the 5 were a newer design, it would make no sense whatsoever to design a new phone and put in old (A4) components... an iP 5 would use the A5.

Screen size?... larger is better... so the 4" screen would not only be in the new design, but would have to be considered the high-end phone (never mind that it would make it more expensive.)

So while I'm not discounting the possibility of tiered phones as you suggest, I think the iP5 moniker would be the new design AND the "high-end" product... the iP4s would be more-or-less an updated iP4 and would be the mid-range model... If they go to three models, then the iP4 or 3GS could be retained as the low-end (more likely the iP4, I'd think.)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Like Kramer said... Van Der Lay industries? No, you're waaay off buddy...!

iPhone 4S is the new iPhone 3GS, iPhone 5 is the new iPhone 4. iPod touch has a minor bump and comes in white. iPod nano will have a little redesign, shuffle and classic likely to go bye-bye.. But it will probably not be announced during the keynote, since it's just "talk iPhone".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's my guess. What do you guys think of this scenario? Has the iPod touch become too limited in its functionality? If it hasn't, shouldn't Apple kill it before it does become limited - like they always do?

8GB & 16GB iPhone 5 = 4" display, A4 proc. with 512GB RAM, 3.5MP camera (no flash), world phone, etc.

16GB, 32GB & 64GB iPhone 4S = 3.5" display, A5 proc. with 1GB RAM "with Assistant", 8MP (1080p) camera (yes flash), world phone, etc.

• Reply 4 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

iPhone 4S is the new iPhone 3GS, iPhone 5 is the new iPhone 4.

The Macrumors link you posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/01/...xconn-factory/

seems to suggest N90A is the current iPhone 4 but possibly with 8GB storage and N94 is the A5-based iPhone 4.

If they wanted to save money, this would be the best way as they would be using the same parts and manufacturing process for all current models and would just have a difference in motherboard and Flash capacity.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

iPod touch has a minor bump and comes in white. iPod nano will have a little redesign, shuffle and classic likely to go bye-bye.. But it will probably not be announced during the keynote, since it's just "talk iPhone".

When they say "let's talk iPhone", this could mean the end of everything else. If they could build an 8GB iPhone 4 for $299 off-contract, they can discontinue the iPod Touch and just forget the Shuffle and Classic but possibly leave the Nano.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    And 16 months in the making? I don't think so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My guess.

Only "4S". Modified Verizon iPhone with SIM tray (or embedded SIM) and necessary antennas. A5 chip. Rest of the specs are the same.

• Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And 16 months in the making? I don't think so.

Never underestimate the ability of Apple to dash one's hopes and dreams so thoroughly that they're ignored by those who are actually impressed by the products they release.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't buy the only one phone talk.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    In all honesty, iPhones are a bit stupid in my opinion...

They make a new iPhone every 6-9 months in which time, youhave to splash out another £400-600 which isn't exactly easy in these times.

THe only thing i find stupid is that once you get the new iPhone on cantract by the time your contract is over, They'll be about 3 different iPhones out.

Btw, I don't have an iPhone but if i was to get one, i'd buy one that is already out and not buy a newer one but the 4S is much better than the iPhone 5, if what you're saying is the correct specs
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by James Cash View Post

In all honesty, iPhones are a bit stupid in my opinion…

Then leave here.

Quote:

They make a new iPhone every 6-9 months

12+ months. Troll.

Quote:

in which time, youhave to splash out another £400-600

$199. Troll.

Quote:

THe only thing i find stupid is that once you get the new iPhone on cantract by the time your contract is over, They'll be about 3 different iPhones out.

Blame the telecoms. Heaven forbid Apple releases new products.

Quote:

I don't have an iPhone but if i was to get one, i'd buy one that is already out and not buy a newer one

Nonsense (or extreme, nonsensical thrift).

Quote:

but the 4S is much better than the iPhone 5, if what you're saying is the correct specs

Uh…