CD's to Wav in iTunes loses track info

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey All -

I have been converting my CD's to WAV using iTunes. After a couple of hundred od CD's I imported the WAVs into iTunes only to find that only the track name appears and nothing else. No album name, no artist name, no genre, etc. It looks fine when I load the CD and make the WAV. It gets sorted on my hard drive in the proper folder, etc. But when I bring it back into iTunes only the song track info is there.

What am I doing wrong? If I convert to MP3 its fine. Is there a way to fix the WAVs I have already made?

thanks for any help.

Otto.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Of course. WAV doesn't allow metadata, I don't think

Real formats like AAC, MP3, and ALAC, however, do.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks Tall -

I didn't get a chance to stop by here and update my post, but what you said is what I learned after a little research. WAVs aren't equipped with ID3 tags (metadata). It would be nice for those of us that don't want compression on their rips from CD.

I haven't found a way to "tag" them, so I guess I'll be holding on to my CD's for now.

thanks again -

Otto.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nightotter View Post

Thanks Tall -

I didn't get a chance to stop by here and update my post, but what you said is what I learned after a little research. WAVs aren't equipped with ID3 tags (metadata). It would be nice for those of us that don't want compression on their rips from CD.

I haven't found a way to "tag" them, so I guess I'll be holding on to my CD's for now.

thanks again -

Otto.

Use Apple lossless, silly.

When it plays, your DAC is dealing with exactly the same ones and zeros that are stored on your CDs. Whatever compression there is is only temporary, and you don't lose a single one or zero, in other words, it's lossless.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    THanks Tonton. I did a little research and I will probably go with the A.L format.