German carrier lists Apple 'iPhone 4S' in 16GB, 32GB & 64GB capacities

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Germany's Vodafone has suggested that Apple this week will announce a new "iPhone 4S" available in three capacities, including a new high-end 64GB model.

The information comes from the accessories section of Vodafone Germany's website. As discovered by iPhone-Ticker.de, the new iPhone 4S is also available in the existing 16GB and 32GB sizes of the current iPhone 4.

As for the iPhone 4, the listings also suggest that Apple will reduce its memory to 8GB to make it the company's new low-end model. That's the same strategy the company employed in 2010, when it began selling the previous-generation iPhone 3GS for $99, and eventually reduced that price to $49.

Vodafone's listing also suggests Apple will offer both the iPhone 4S and the 8GB iPhone 4 in black and white models. It took Apple 9 months to finally release the white iPhone 4 first announced in the summer of 2010, as the company ran into issues with coloring the glass on the handset.

Though the iPhone 4S name has been used colloquially for months to refer to what rumors have dubbed a "minor" upgrade to the current iPhone 4, this weekend the name was discovered in a beta build of Apple's official iTunes software. The listing from Vodafone provides even more evidence that the iPhone 4S name has been used by Apple as well, at least internally.

Apple will unveil its fifth-generation iPhone on Tuesday at 10 a.m. from the company's corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif. AppleInsider will have full live coverage of the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    No inventory updates so far alluding to an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4s. Looks like this might turn out to be a very dissapointing announcement tomorrow. Fingers crossed though, been waiting for months to get rid of my old 3GS.

Assuming a 4s gets released I'll kick myself for not having bought the iPhone 4 last year!
  • Reply 2 of 77
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Never seen this image before even as a mockup...could this be the iPhone5???

• Reply 3 of 77
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    64gb? Yes please!
  • Reply 4 of 77
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

64gb? Yes please!

Could this mean the death of the iPod?

Simtub, I have never really liked the iPhone look, but that is a beautiful phone.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    These guys know nothing. Its all guesswork.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Never seen this image before even as a mockup...could this be the iPhone5???

Nah. Too thick looking. Nice renders though.

Use the power of the Schwartz! Apologies to the Germans

• Reply 7 of 77
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    I'm starting to think the iPhone 5 is delayed by some unknown amount of time. All of these shreds of info suggest the 4S is going to be available this week or mid-month at the latest. If there is no iPhone 5 introduced concurrently, the question then is whether they'll announce it anyway tomorrow, say it's coming with a rough date, or not say anything at all about it. My hunch is they will say something about it even if it's not ready but who knows?
  • Reply 8 of 77
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I'm starting to think the iPhone 5 is delayed by some unknown amount of time. All of these shreds of info suggest the 4S is going to be available this week or mid-month at the latest. If there is no iPhone 5 introduced concurrently, the question then is whether they'll announce it anyway tomorrow, say it's coming with a rough date, or not say anything at all about it. My hunch is they will say something about it even if it's not ready but who knows?

agreed
  • Reply 9 of 77
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

No inventory updates so far alluding to an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4s. Looks like this might turn out to be a very dissapointing announcement tomorrow. Fingers crossed though, been waiting for months to get rid of my old 3GS.

Assuming a 4s gets released I'll kick myself for not having bought the iPhone 4 last year!

So it seems likely to move to an 8mp camera, A5 chip, gig of ram, 64 gigs storage, and be able to run a voice recognition system that no current phone can run...

...and if it looks the same you will find it disappointing and kick yourself.

Not that i am suggesting that some people place too much emphasis on external appearance or anything, but if that is how you feel, i think a lot of us would kick you as well.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

So it seems likely to move to an 8mp camera, A5 chip, gig of ram, 64 gigs storage, and be able to run a voice recognition system that no current phone can run...

Not that i am suggesting that some people place too much emphasis on external appearance or anything, but if that is how you feel, i think a lot of us would kick you as well.

^Like
  • Reply 11 of 77
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Not to mention run twice as fast, be iCloud capable right out the box, etc.

People can be silly sometimes. I am glad I waited. I just hope Apple sells it unlocked.

Quote:

• Reply 12 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Don't kick yourself, the iPhone 4 had serious antenna problems. Very good phone except for the serious antenna problem. I had one and love it except for all the dropped calls, I returned it. I still have lots of dropped calls from other people with iPhone 4's.

I'm also waiting to replace my 3GS and if all they introduce is a jazzed up 4S (A5 processor, 1GB Ram, 8MP camera) WITH a revised antenna, that 4S will go from a great phone with a bad antenna to a REALLY GREAT phone!!!! I'll be getting one!
  • Reply 13 of 77
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

As far as features go... what will be important to some Verizonwireless and Sprint users is whether the 4S is "world capable" or whatever it's called by having the backup GSM radio. There are a lot of CDMA users out there that are still using BlackBerrys or something else simply for that feature but would love to switch to an iPhone.

AFAIK, no one has figured out whether the dual radio feature will be in the 4S or the 5. All that's known is that it will be in at least one of them (per a slip of a VZW VP).
  • Reply 14 of 77
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    This German Vodaphone link proves nothing. It may indicate that there will definitely be a 4S, but it does not reveal anything about whether there will be a 5. It's a page devoted to an accessory designed for the 4, so of course there would be no reference to a 5, if there is one.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    My German isn't exactly brilliant but this screenshot is for an iPhone 4 bumper and the dropdown is showing compatible phones and that the iPhone 4 bumper will be compatible with the iPhone 4S.

If the iPhone 5 exists as the rumoured complete redesign then the chances are it will need a new case/bumper - hence it's absence from this list.

All this screenshot (possibly) does is confirm the iPhone 4S... it says nothing about the existence or otherwise of the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If their 5th generation iPhone is just a souped-up iPhone 4, why was Apple so upset about losing one in a bar earlier this year?
  • Reply 17 of 77
    Quote:

EXACTLY.

Or, perhaps it's the fact that they chose to call it "4S" instead of "5" that makes him think it's a "minor" upgrade. I have news for you: My 3GS was a *huge* improvement over the 3G.

I'll be holding onto my 3GS for another year or so, but if the "4S" or "5" or whatever they call it being announced tomorrow does have the rumored specs, I'll have no problem upgrading to it whenever I do get around to it.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

If their 5th generation iPhone is just a souped-up iPhone 4, why was Apple so upset about losing one in a bar earlier this year?

Perhaps because the device lost in a bar earlier this year was not the same as the device that's going to be released later this month. Perhaps it was much earlier in a parallel design process -- maybe a predecessor of the device that will ultimately go on to be released in 2012's annual refresh.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    nemadnemad Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

My German isn't exactly brilliant but this screenshot is for an iPhone 4 bumper and the dropdown is showing compatible phones and that the iPhone 4 bumper will be compatible with the iPhone 4S.

If the iPhone 5 exists as the rumoured complete redesign then the chances are it will need a new case/bumper - hence it's absence from this list.

All this screenshot (possibly) does is confirm the iPhone 4S... it says nothing about the existence or otherwise of the iPhone 5.

It's of course logical that the iPhone 5 (assuming it's the teardrop-shaped model featured in the case leaks) is missing from the list of compatible devices for the iPhone 4 bumpers. However, I would like to point out that on that Vodafone Germany page the iPhone 4S and 8GB iPhone 4 are also listed as compatible with other accessories such as Apple in-ear headphones (again there is no mention of iPhone 5).

I'm not saying this proves indefinitely that there won't be an iPhone 5 presented tomorrow but due to recent lack of any credible leaks on a redesigned model, I tend to lean towards tomorrow's event being about iPhone 4S & 8GB iPhone 4.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:

Why is it so strange that he prioritizes a larger screen and/or a new enclosure over internal speed bumps only? It is not necessarily a superficial fashion statement for everyone who thinks this way.

Maybe the speed of the iPhone 4 is good enough for his needs. But maybe he thinks that the iPhone 4 enclosure is too squared and not comfortable to hold. And maybe his eyesight isn't as good as yours and could really use a larger screen. And, maybe he doesn't like a phone that has glass on both sides of the phone instead of just one, doubling his chances of cracking a panel.

Why do you want to try to minimize and label someone else's priorities as invalid?