Steve Jobs 'expected' to appear at Apple's iPhone 5 event - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

?if he ever has a chance at impressing investors?

So the past year he has worked as C.E.O. and past yearS he has finagled extraordinary deals just don't mean squat, apparently.
  • Reply 22 of 93
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    On a network newscast, the anchor gives the headlines, then introduces a reporter with the actual story. Thats how it will be here. Jobs will come on stage first, say there is a new iPhone 5 and the other products, say what they will do, then instead of actually whipping out the product, will give it over to Cook et al to do the reveal. So. Less than before, but still the MC. That could be a decent keynote transition plan.
  • Reply 23 of 93
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So the past year he has worked as C.E.O. and past yearS he has finagled extraordinary deals just don't mean squat, apparently.

No apparently it doesn't, considering all people care about is seeing a mythical figurehead, rather than the person who is responsible for the last few years success.
  • Reply 24 of 93
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:

I just don't think it's appropriate for Steve to appear on stage. All of this slobbering over him is completely misplaced and inappropriate...it would be so ridiculously condescending and undermining to have Steve introduce the CEO, or any similar fanfare. This is a business, not a love affair, not a movie.

Steve resigned. Tim is in charge. Tim should take the stage and OWN it tomorrow, if he ever has a chance at impressing investors and customers.

Spot on. I agree 100%.
  • Reply 25 of 93
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

If there was ever a secret that was easy to keep it would be the status of Steve Jobs' attendance tomorrow. Any outsider "knowledge" of this is just a guess.

Yep I agree 100%. This is just another waste of time story by a writer probably under pressure to drive traffic in the build up to the Apple event.

Saying something could happen, while also stating it would be no surprise or concern if it doesn't, what a tremendous fluff piece.
  • Reply 26 of 93
    Quote:

No apparently it doesn't, considering all people care about is seeing a mythical figurehead, rather than the person who is responsible for the last few years success.

\

Anyway,

*Steve walks on, pretty darn gaunt, frail, and otherwise not good*

*standing ovation, thunderous applause*

*Steve slowly and silently bows and walks off*

*Cue Tim Cook*
  • Reply 27 of 93
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

I think Steve will welcome everyone to the event, go through the usual boring stuff (Sales etc), introduce iPhone 5, then hand it over to Cook.

This will

A) Prove that Steve is alive and well and;

B) show that Steve has faith in Cook.

Agree, but I think it would be cool if Tim did the boring stuff, and then let Steve introduce the iPhone 5. Would be a good moving on type of moment.
  • Reply 28 of 93
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

It will be good to roll out the old guy for his last hurrah!

468 posts in one month. It would be good for you to roll yourself into a new job that doesn't involve self-humiliation.
  • Reply 29 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Agree, but I think it would be cool if Tim did the boring stuff, and then let Steve introduce the iPhone 5. Would be a good moving on type of moment.

How would that be "moving on" at all? That's exactly like every keynote ever.
  • Reply 30 of 93
    I hope the rumor is true! He is Apple's chairman and co-founder, after all. Entirely appropriate.
  • Reply 31 of 93
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I hope he shows up and sits in the front row, if he is not too busy strengthening Yahoo via ABC/Disney.
  • Reply 32 of 93
    Of course Steve's gonna be there.

To those troglodytes who belived that atrocity of a fake image -- you know the one -- that circulated

the day after he stepped down, he is nowhere near that condition, and like he said the last time the talk

of him leaving us was at at this much of a feverpitch: '"The statements concerning my health are greatly exaggerated."

This has NOTHING to do with Tim's being "overshadowed" or making awkward his first public apperance as CEO.

Steve is, after all, literally Apple.

What it does have to do with is letting the fans have thier last "Good-Bye".

I wouldn't be surprised if Wozzie jumped on stage for a quick bow with Steve.

There will be an ovation that will not end & more than a few tears in the crowd.

And I, for one, am not ashamed to say thst one of the people supplying them will be me.

WE LOVE YOU, STEVE!
  • Reply 33 of 93
    Quote:

He's the Chairman of the Board. In the US system of governance, the CEO reports to the Board. So, he's actually Cook's boss. Period.

It would be perfectly apropos of him to make an appearance simply as CoB, given his stature. And, I don't think he really needs a lot of condescending advice from anyone--least of all, us--on on how to behave in a manner consistent with putting the best foot froward for Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Please don't do this and ruin Tim Cooks event.

A brief FaceTime only- if anything. Like Dick Clark on New Years eve.

Otherwise the press will be watching his every move for his fanboys.

Steve is Chairman, and co-founder. And an extremely skilled salesman, pop culture icon (he's been parodied on The Simpsons, South Park and SNL) with a strong vision for the future. How in the hell could adding a Steve Jobs to your event RUIN ANYTHING???

It's not "just for fanboys." Steve Jobs is a household name, his stage presence is legendary.

Aww...did your Droid crash while you were typing that post?
  • Reply 35 of 93
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:

I think Steve will welcome everyone to the event, go through the usual boring stuff (Sales etc), introduce iPhone 5, then hand it over to Cook.

This will

Steve's faith in Tim Cook was "proven" when he specifically recommended the Board choose Tim to succeed him in his letter when he stepped down, so this has already been done and checked off the list.

With regard to Steve's health, Apple has never been interested in proving anything. Steve took leaves of absence when he wanted, he disclosed what he wanted to about his health (which was very little), he announced the products he wanted even when on medical leave, and he stepped down as CEO when he wanted. There is no longer any need for Apple to prove anything about Steve's health. We all know his health is not good, which is why he left in the first place.

Steve may or may not show up to the event, but if he does, it won't be for either of the two reasons you mention. And Tim will definitely be running the show. A Facetime cameo would be fitting.
  • Reply 36 of 93
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

This will

SJ showed his faith in Tim Cook when he recommended to the board that Tim become CEO. SJ coming out and going through the "boring stuff" will not exactly convey a message of "I trust him to run the company". I think, as PMZ stated, that Cook needs to go out there tomorrow and own it.
  • Reply 37 of 93
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    putting business and hype aside...

I hope and pray that Steve Jobs is able to still enjoy life. He is an inspiration to me both intellectually and spiritually. I would love to see him on stage doing what he loves to do as long as possible.
  • Reply 38 of 93
    Phil Schiller should do all of the events since he is the head of marketing. That is what marketing people do. They present things to the public. He could have the various heads of departments talk about their areas when necessary. Marketing is about promotion. He is probably the head of how the web site looks and in charge of all of the advertising too.
  • Reply 39 of 93
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I just assumed Steve Jobs would make a brief appearance... A final appearance to publicly thank everyone and pass the torch to Tim.

He might. Then again, he might not since the torch was passed when he sent that letter of resignation. He might actually stay away to reaffirm the notion that it isn't his ship anymore. It is Tim Cook's. Not showing up would actually also reaffirm the notion that Apple and Steve Jobs aren't the same thing.

That said, I'm not shocked that some analyst expects Jobs to be there. they will expect him to be there until hell freezes over. They just can't detach him and Apple, which was most of the trouble back in 2007 when they pushed the doom and gloom and the stock price down to something like $50 a share with their talk that Apple would be over if Jobs left, as if everyone else there were idiot robots that had no brains of their own and were commanded by Jobs Borg style

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I don't think it would undermine Cook at all. Jobs became more than just a CEO. He became an icon.

Yep. He became synonymous with Apple. Which is why it is best that he stay away. Steve Jobs walking out on that stage, appearing in a FaceTime or whatever for even half a second pulls too much attention on Steve Jobs. If he's not tanned and weighing 200 LBS of strapping muscle then it will be all over the place with out he's frail and gaunt and on his deathbed. So what that there's another CEO, too many folks still think that Steve is the brain and everyone else a puppet just like in 2007.

After that disaster Steve made a deliberate move to get other folks on the stage. I think that is also a lesson he would have pushed on Tim. Don't ever be the only face they see. Come out, do the financial recap and then play MC to the other boys and girls getting their 15 minutes of fame. That way you never become THE person in the eyes of the media and Apple never suffers a value drop because you were out for a couple of weeks with the flu or whatever. And I can't see him undermining that lesson by coming out on the stage, upstaging Cook and continuing his rock and roll esque icon position as Mr Apple.

I think if there is any Steve Jobs on that stage it will be via Tim Cook saying something. Tim might ask him to come up on the stage for a moment if he happens to be there but that will be Tim doing it on his own, not part of the agenda. And if Steve says good luck, he'll be playing golf, no one will try to talk him into being there.
  • Reply 40 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'll be more surprised if he doesn't show up.

Most surprised to least surprised:
    1. Chairman Jobs MIA.

2. Chairman Jobs sitting in first row watching the event.

3. Chairman Jobs comes out only at very end to announce "One More Thing"

4. Chairman Jobs appears on screen as a giant face and announces the NC data center was really for storing his mind as a Singularity in iCloud.

5. Chairman Jobs is just another announcer with Tim Cook as master of ceremonies.

6. Jobs master of ceremonies to start with others doing the event and Tim Cook taking a larger role this time around to see how it goes.

Bottom line: It's not about your CEO, but about your best person for the job, which I still think is Chairman Jobs.