Steve Jobs 'expected' to appear at Apple's iPhone 5 event - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    I am amazed and overwhelmed at all the management/PR gurus and their totally free advice here!

/sarcasm
  • Reply 42 of 93
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

Of course Steve's gonna be there.

There will be an ovation that will not end & more than a few tears in the crowd.

And I, for one, am not ashamed to say thst one of the people supplying them will be me.

WE LOVE YOU, STEVE!

+ 1. same here. well said. I only want him to up there if it brings him joy however. I don't want to see him in pain. Cancer is inhumane.
  • Reply 43 of 93
    Towards the end of the keynote, Tim Cook will welcome Steve Jobs to the stage in which after 10 minutes of standing ovations from the crowd, Jobs will talk about his time at apple. Then towards the end, His last one more thing will be announced. the redesigned iPhone 5. In a Parallel universe that is...
  • Reply 44 of 93
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Remember the clue: "Let's Talk iPhone." Gee, sounds like Tim might get a call from Steve. Breif, to the point, they talk iPhone and show something off. Why not?

And while we're at it, has anyone notices that kids don't actually use a phone to talk anymore? My experience is no one wants to talk into a phone unless they have to. Or make a facetime call to family. There's been reports of this Siri assistant thingy, and if it entails talking into an iPhone to make it work, I predict fail. Only place something like that is useful is in a car where it is actually illegal to hold it up to your face.
  • Reply 45 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

\

Anyway,

*Steve walks on, pretty darn gaunt, frail, and otherwise not good*

*standing ovation, thunderous applause*

*Steve slowly and silently bows and walks off*

*Cue Tim Cook*

I like that!

Apple, Tim, Steve and the other Apple Executive Team members have no concern about Steve stealing anyone's thunder -- least of all Tim's.

Tim is running the largest technology company in the world -- and quite well by all measures.

Steve has made his mark on the world -- quite a few, actually.

But Steve's biggest accomplishment is that he has assembled a management team capable of running Apple 2011 (and beyond) -- Apple, being Steve's second biggest accomplishment!
  • Reply 46 of 93
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That said, I'm not shocked that some analyst expects Jobs to be there. they will expect him to be there until hell freezes over.

I've worked at firms that had sad old guys sitting in their elaborate offices, wearing their old-fashioned garb, doing not much, until they were carried out feet first.

I hope that Steve actually has something going on in life other than work work work. Very sad to see otherwise.
  • Reply 47 of 93
    Anything that smacks of showboating (final bows, farewell speeches, handing over of torches, etc.) is highly unlikely. In the first place, it's just not Apple's (read Steve's) style. Secondly, even if they were to do something like that, it wouldn't be at a downplayed, almost non-event such as this.
  • Reply 48 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I've worked at firms that had sad old guys sitting in their elaborate offices, wearing their old-fashioned garb, doing not much, until they were carried out feet first.

I hope that Steve actually has something going on in life other than work work work. Very sad to see otherwise.

Have you been following Apple or Steve Jobs long?
  • Reply 49 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

Of course Steve's gonna be there.

To those troglodytes who belived that atrocity of a fake image -- you know the one -- that circulated

the day after he stepped down, he is nowhere near that condition, and like he said the last time the talk

of him leaving us was at at this much of a feverpitch: '"The statements concerning my health are greatly exaggerated."

This has NOTHING to do with Tim's being "overshadowed" or making awkward his first public apperance as CEO.

Steve is, after all, literally Apple.

What it does have to do with is letting the fans have thier last "Good-Bye".

I wouldn't be surprised if Wozzie jumped on stage for a quick bow with Steve.

There will be an ovation that will not end & more than a few tears in the crowd.

And I, for one, am not ashamed to say thst one of the people supplying them will be me.

WE LOVE YOU, STEVE!

Freak
  • Reply 50 of 93
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

You can't even imagine the data rates we get up here.

Yes but the latency must be killing you. Fat pipes aren't necessarily fast pipes.
  • Reply 51 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Freak

"Discontent and unable to come up with any actual argumentative points, the trolls descended into the madness that is outright name-calling."

?Excerpt from The History of Apple Trolling, Chaper 5: AppleInsider, Part II.
  • Reply 52 of 93
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I hope he's doing what he enjoys. He certainly has earned the means to pick what that is.
  • Reply 53 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

He's the Chairman of the Board. In the US system of governance, the CEO reports to the Board. So, he's actually Cook's boss. Period.

It would be perfectly apropos of him to make an appearance simply as CoB, given his stature. And, I don't think he really needs a lot of condescending advice from anyone--least of all, us--on on how to behave in a manner consistent with putting the best foot froward for Apple.

I know seeing you actually think Steve Jobs reads this forum.
  • Reply 54 of 93
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Have you been following Apple or Steve Jobs long?

Not really following - like most people, until I bought an Apple CE product Apple wasn't really on my radar. I decided to replace my aging Apple II with a custom-made clone, and never looked back until a few years ago.

WRT Steve, I understand he used to be some kind of a drug fiend or something, ditched a bastard kid, and then did TM. Next he got shitcanned, started up a none-too-presciently named computer co, and then came back into the fold. Since then, his business chops have competed for headlines with his fatal medical conditions.

I don't really care about celebrities, whether in the business arena or elsewhere. Why do you ask?
  • Reply 55 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'll be more surprised if he doesn't show up.

Most surprised to least surprised:
    1. Chairman Jobs MIA.

2. Chairman Jobs sitting in first row watching the event.

3. Chairman Jobs comes out only at very end to announce "One More Thing"

4. Chairman Jobs appears on screen as a giant face and announces the NC data center was really for storing his mind as a Singularity in iCloud.

5. Chairman Jobs is just another announcer with Tim Cook as master of ceremonies.

6. Jobs master of ceremonies to start with others doing the event and Tim Cook taking a larger role this time around to see how it goes.

Bottom line: It's not about your CEO, but about your best person for the job, which I still think is Chairman Jobs.

I disagree, it should not be about your CEO, or your best person for the job, it should be about the product.

The keynotes Jobs has delivered over the past 15 years would have been nothing short of a joke had the products all been crappy. There is no doubt that he is a consummate showman, and a hell of a salesman, but he has been selling awesome products, and that's what Apple should continue to push at these events.
  • Reply 56 of 93
    I think that what would work best is if Steve starts the keynote and "hands over the reigns" to Tim. Tht would be best. It would show how he has total faith in Tim and how he feels that it was the right thing to do. They could have an announcement though that Steve will still continue to do all the Keynotes from here on out. It might work brilliently since we all know that Steve has a reality distortion field around him at all times. I'd drink is Koolaid! LOL
  • Reply 57 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I disagree, it should not be about your CEO, or your best person for the job, it should be about the product.

The keynotes Jobs has delivered over the past 15 years would have been nothing short of a joke had the products all been crappy. There is no doubt that he is a consummate showman, and a hell of a salesman, but he has been selling awesome products, and that's what Apple should continue to push at these events.

How can your product be the MC of an event?
  • Reply 58 of 93
    Quote:

You can't even imagine the data rates we get up here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Yes but the latency must be killing you. Fat pipes aren't necessarily fast pipes.

...short... but not too big around!
  • Reply 59 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How can your product be the MC of an event?

It can't, but it can be overshadowed by the MC of an event, and I think it's important that doesn't happen.

I think if Jobs shows up, he will overshadow the product, and that would be stupid.
  • Reply 60 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

It can't, but it can be overshadowed by the MC of an event, and I think it's important that doesn't happen.

I think if Jobs shows up, he will overshadow the product, and that would be stupid.

So since 1997 Jobs showing up has overshadowed the product? I don't' think so. He's the best presenter I've ever seen on stage at an Apple event?ever. He helps sell the product, not detract from it.