Microsoft removes, then re-adds Zune HD to its website [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Microsoft temporarily removed references to all Zune hardware from the official Zune website Monday, an apparent error that was initially viewed as the final nail in the coffin for the media player that failed to gain traction against Apple's iPod lineup [update].

As first noted by tech journalist Ed Bott, Microsoft's Zune.net website was updated on Monday to remove all references to devices. Instead, the website simply promoted Zune Music Pass and Zune software on various platforms including Windows Phone and Xbox Live.

Update: But later Monday, the site was updated and the Zune HD hardware appeared on the site once again. A spokesperson for Microsoft told Bott the removal of the device from the page was a "mistake."

Microsoft last updated its Zune hardware in 2009 with the Zune HD, which aimed to take on Apple's iPod touch with an OLED multi-touch screen and access to the $15-per-month unlimited download Zune Pass service. The Zune HD sold at launch for $220 for a 16GB model, and $290 for 32GB.

Microsoft has yet to officially announce that the Zune HD has been discontinued, but it's a logical step as the market for devoted media players continues to shrink with more powerful smartphones offering the same or better functionality in a multi-purpose device.

As the iPhone has gained in popularity, iPod sales have continued to dwindle for Apple, and this year its flagship devoted media player, the iPod touch, is not expected to see any major changes aside from the availability of a new white model. There have also been claims and some evidence that Apple will soon discontinue its aging iPod classic and iPod shuffle.

Reports first began to surface in March that Microsoft planned to abandon its line of Zune media players, first launched in 2006. Bloomberg cited anonymous sources who indicated Microsoft would shift the Zune brand toward its music store and subscription software, which will is available through handsets running its Windows Phone mobile operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    It makes sense. Dedicated music players are quickly dying.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Apple is winning.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Apple is losing.

And dedicated music players are not quickly dying.

There, all the arguments have been concisely covered. This thread can end without bickering, insults, trolling, and other nonsense.

Good night, AppleInsider! See you when this all starts up again tomorrow!

Note: this is not to be construed as me leaving for the day
  • Reply 4 of 60
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Company X axes hardware x to concentrate on software and services.

There seems to be a lot of that going around these days.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Apple/Microsoft are winning/dying...yada yada.

Apple makes good products. The Zune HD was a fantastic music player with better sound quality than the iPod, BUT it couldn't compete if you wanted apps, plain and simple. Plus MS's customer support for the Zune was abysmal. With Apple you can just walk into their stores and get something fixed with little problems. MS would be smart to try and put their Zune software on all platforms, but I don't see that happening.

I guess the days of dedicated music players are seeing an end. The Classic might go the way of the Dodo as well tomorrow. This is unfortunate as I like having a dedicated music player versus a smartphone. I guess we can settle on the iPod Touch for now.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Reports first began to surface in March that Apple planned to abandon its line of Zune media players, first launched in 2006. .

You guys need to get some editors who are not so emotionally involved with the topic.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Yup. And Apple will kill the hard drive-based iPod Classic tomorrow.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Apple is winning.

..."is..."?
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Yup. And Apple will kill the hard drive-based iPod Classic tomorrow.

Yeah, and that would be equivalent to saying "Zune" is gone?
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Apple makes good products. The Zune HD was a fantastic music player with better sound quality than the iPod, BUT it couldn't compete if you wanted apps, plain and simple. Plus MS's customer support for the Zune was abysmal. With Apple you can just walk into their stores and get something fixed with little problems. MS would be smart to try and put their Zune software on all platforms, but I don't see that happening.

Not that it matters now?not that it ever really did?but I wouldn't go out of my way to describe the Zune as a fantastic music player, nor did the consumer market which voted it down with their money. It was starting to find some polish, though. And better sound quality? Due to what, better headphones? The iPod headphones have never been fantastic; that should be yielded by anyone who has compared its headphones to a good pair. The Zune could have used better customer service but it is pretty hard to compete with the convenience of the established Apple Store network...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I guess the days of dedicated music players are seeing an end. The Classic might go the way of the Dodo as well tomorrow. This is unfortunate as I like having a dedicated music player versus a smartphone. I guess we can settle on the iPod Touch for now.

This is a good part of what it is all coming down to. As smartphones (and in the Apple ecosystem, the iPod Touch) become more accessible and more capable, and music management becomes more efficient, the general interest in a large-capacity music player (like the iPod Classic) will continue to die out. Probably the biggest part of what brought us here is that Microsoft never offered a proper competitor to the iPod, and more goes into that than hardware alone. Competing with the iPod also meant competing with iTunes and the iTunes store. That tie-in was (and perhaps still is) probably the single greatest hurdle for Apple competitors to overcome or react to.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple is losing.

Yes they are. Just because you are hanging on for dear life, doesn't mean everyone else is.

Smart phones and iPod Touches eliminated the need for such dedicated players.

Anybody who absolutely needs to carry 40,000 songs in their pocket at all times is clearly in the minority...
  • Reply 12 of 60
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    You know it's bad when the Zune Tattoo Guy gives up on Zune.

And that was 3 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBbOBc-L720

I wonder what took Microsoft so long to give up.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Uhh... no offense to Ed Bott, but check your facts, dude. The Zune HD player is still available under the "Products" pull-down menu.

http://www.zune.net/en-US/products/zunehd/default.htm
  • Reply 14 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Yes they are. Just because you are hanging on for dear life, doesn't mean everyone else is.

I'm? *sigh* Never mind.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

You guys need to get some editors who are not so emotionally involved with the topic.

Classic!
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Reports first began to surface in March that Apple planned to abandon its line of Zune media players, first launched in 2006.

About time Apple did something right!!!
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:

I'm? *sigh* Never mind.

• Reply 18 of 60
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I honestly thought this was gone some time ago. Suspecting they are running out of stock right about now. At some point it is cheaper to shred them than sell them. Wonder if they will blend?
  • Reply 19 of 60
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    The rumor of Zune hardware being discontinued is old news from last back in March and Microsoft commented on Windows Phone 7 being the successor to Zune:

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/03/zune-is-not-dead
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Fuck, where am I going to get a brown music player now?

PS: This was excellent:-

Quote:

Apple is losing.

There, all the arguments have been concisely covered. This thread can end without bickering, insults, trolling, and other nonsense.

Good night, AppleInsider! See you when this all starts up again tomorrow!