Steve Jobs 'expected' to appear at Apple's iPhone 5 event - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So since 1997 Jobs showing up has overshadowed the product? I don't' think so. He's the best presenter I've ever seen on stage at an Apple event?ever. He helps sell the product, not detract from it.

No he has not, but the last 15 years he was the CEO, not the ex-CEO who had recently stood down because of health issues.

If he shows up tomorrow, the headlines will be divided between.
    1. The product.

2. The fact that he was there.

3. The fact that he is looking well.

4. The fact that he is looking sick.

5. The fact that his being there shows he wants to support Tim Cook.

6. The fact that his being there means he doesn't trust Tim Cook to do things properly.

If he doesn't show up tomorrow, I think most of the headlines will be about the product (though some will be about the fact he wasn't there I concede).

The goal of tomorrows event surely is how to get the most positive press for the new product. I think that would best be achieved without Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 62 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

No he has not, but the last 15 years he was the CEO, not the ex-CEO who had recently stood down because of health issues.

If he shows up tomorrow, the headlines will be divided between.
    1. The product.

2. The fact that he was there.

3. The fact that he is looking well.

4. The fact that he is looking sick.

5. The fact that his being there shows he wants to support Tim Cook.

6. The fact that his being there means he doesn't trust Tim Cook to do things properly.

If he doesn't show up tomorrow, I think most of the headlines will be about the product (though some will be about the fact he wasn't there I concede).

The goal of tomorrows event surely is how to get the most positive press for the new product. I think that would best be achieved without Steve Jobs.

People made some comments about Jobs being weak when he invited others up to talk about other products. Not a big deal. In fact, that's the smart way to hand over the reigns, not to pretend that your active Chairman of the Board and former CEO who just MCed a 3 hour even in June doesn't exist.

PS: You're still ignoring that Jobs was MC during many, many years of introducing products, that fact he was there, not looking well, looking sick, the fact that Tim Cook was supporting Jobs on stage, and fact that by your assertion that Time Cook et al. being on stage before means that Jobs can't be trusted to do things properly.
  • Reply 63 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I know seeing you actually think Steve Jobs reads this forum.

Oh no.... you're back.

Didn't you go away or something, for a long time? Couldn't stay away?
  • Reply 64 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

People made some comments about Jobs being weak when he invited others up to talk about other products. Not a big deal. In fact, that's the smart way to hand over the reigns, not to pretend that your active Chairman of the Board and former CEO who just MCed a 3 hour even in June doesn't exist.

PS: You're still ignoring that Jobs was MC during many, many years of introducing products, that fact he was there, not looking well, looking sick, the fact that Tim Cook was supporting Jobs on stage, and fact that by your assertion that Time Cook et al. being on stage before means that Jobs can't be trusted to do things properly.

I'm not saying Jobs couldn't be trusted do the job properly at all. My point is, the goal needs to be to make sure the product is the news story, and I think that is less likely to be the case if Jobs is on stage tomorrow.

You are absolutely right that Jobs doing the presentations previously didn't cause any harm, but my point remains, he was the CEO then, not the ex-CEO who had stood down. The implications for what the media will do are very different.
  • Reply 65 of 93
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Phil Schiller should do all of the events since he is the head of marketing. That is what marketing people do. They present things to the public. He could have the various heads of departments talk about their areas when necessary. Marketing is about promotion. He is probably the head of how the web site looks and in charge of all of the advertising too.

Except that Schiller sucks are presenting. He has no gravitas, sorry to say. Forstall is 10x better, as well as others. Where do some of you come up with your 'recommendations' as to what Apple should or shouldn't do? I't usually utterly absurd.

Also, this concern trolling about how Steve may 'ruin' Tuesday's event with his present is pretty pathetic. It's official- you people are insane. Stop worrying about Cook, I'm sure he won't feel ass-hurt by Steve being there. At the end of the day, people WANT to see Steve, and he attracts attention and PR. That's GOOD thing. It's only a presentation, stop making so much damn drama over it.
  • Reply 66 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Except that Schiller sucks are presenting. He has no gravitas, sorry to say. Forstall is 10x better, as well as others. Where do some of you come up with your 'recommendations' as to what Apple should or shouldn't do? I't usually utterly absurd.

Also, this concern trolling about how Steve may 'ruin' Tuesday's event with his present is pretty pathetic. It's official- you people are insane. Stop worrying about Cook, I'm sure he won't feel ass-hurt by Steve being there. At the end of the day, people WANT to see Steve, and he attracts attention and PR. That's GOOD thing. It's only a presentation, stop making so much damn drama over it.

I can't help but feel if you don't like people speculating on things Apple may or may not do, an Apple rumor site might not be the best place for you.

Hell I don't know what Apple will do, but I'm entitled to an opinion, and others are entitled to a different opinion. Me and Solipsism clearly have different points at the moment, but it's being conducted respectfully, and we are obviously enjoying the discussion, so what's the problem?
  • Reply 67 of 93
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Not really following - like most people, until I bought an Apple CE product Apple wasn't really on my radar. I decided to replace my aging Apple II with a custom-made clone, and never looked back until a few years ago.

WRT Steve, I understand he used to be some kind of a drug fiend or something, ditched a bastard kid, and then did TM. Next he got shitcanned, started up a none-too-presciently named computer co, and then came back into the fold. Since then, his business chops have competed for headlines with his fatal medical conditions.

I don't really care about celebrities, whether in the business arena or elsewhere. Why do you ask?

you will probably say I don't have a clue for what I am going to say. I am not looking to hurt you or humiliate you. I believe everyone find themselves in a different place in their lives and I don't expect you to understand right now if you are not receptive. However, I am going to try in case there is a 0.00000000001% chance that what I say may resonate and may help you one day. No need to respond.

I used to think the phrase about "..if you got nothing good to say, don't say anything at all" had to do with offending others. I discovered later that is actually key to living a happy and fulfilled life.

I can not begin to understand the rational for intentionally trying to start argumentation, however I think you are being more destructive to yourself than you realize. I am not trying to argue this with you or insult you.

Hope you find the key to your happiness one day. I don't think this is the right path however. Best wishes and health to you.

life is too short and fragile to not enjoy it.
  • Reply 68 of 93
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Just because some of the people who've posted comments that they'd rather SJ didn't show up doesn't make them trolls. It's their opinion and they're entitled to it just as mach as you are to yours. Though I agree that Cook would most-likely not feel slighted if Jobs did show up, I do feel that this needs to be Cook's show. At the end of the day, what people want to see is the new iPhone, not someone who may or may not even show up. Believe me, there will be plenty of attention on the event just because of the new phone and update to iOS.
  • Reply 69 of 93
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,959member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I don't really care about celebrities, whether in the business arena or elsewhere. Why do you ask?

Sorry I did.
  • Reply 70 of 93
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel21x View Post

Steve's not completely uninvolved with the company. He's still part of the board, and I would not be a bit surprised if he makes a brief appearance. My prediction is he'll make an appearance of some sort on these big events as long as his health permits.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TylerD View Post

The baton has been passed. Any appearance by Mr. Jobs would undermine the very idea of him stepping down and passing the helm to Mr. Cook. This will not happen folks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Steve resigned. Tim is in charge. Tim should take the stage and OWN it tomorrow, if he ever has a chance at impressing investors and customers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

He's the Chairman of the Board. In the US system of governance, the CEO reports to the Board. So, he's actually Cook's boss. Period.

1. Steve didn't "step down" - he moved upstairs. That's rather a big difference. And in corporations - some Chairmen are as or more powerful than CEO's or Presidents, while in others they're figureheads. Which, in this case, depends on the unknown to us state of his health. If he's more than hanging on, he's still plenty involved (tho' I've seen none of the usual "sightings" or "non-sighting" reports that were frequent during his medical leave, so no indication if he's ever at HQ these days).

2. He also didn't "resign" - he's still specifically an Apple employee. And if able, still a key or the key one in terms of "the vision thing."

And these speeches have become exercises in "visionaryism" as much as product intros. I'm hardly the first to notice, I'm sure, the way in which both Zuckerberg's F8 keynote, and Jeff Bezos' intro of the new Kindle Fire (among other recent corporate events) have taken tons of cues from the patented Stevenotes of years past.
    (Maybe there's a new IP infringement suit there, LOL...!)
    Anyway, if he's up to it, and wants to, he could still play a useful role in drawing the free attention Apple's thrived on, even if he keeps - like an old soldier - fading a little further away at each one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I just don't think it's appropriate for Steve to appear on stage. All of this slobbering over him is completely misplaced and inappropriate...it would be so ridiculously condescending and undermining to have Steve introduce the CEO, or any similar fanfare. This is a business, not a love affair, not a movie.

3. The story of Apple is more than a business, a love affair or a movie. It's a true saga of Phoenix-like proportions unique in American History, and the leading character - a rule breaker and shaker all his life - who's changed all our lives (whether we use Apple devices or have even heard of the company) - should get to decide on "the appropriateness" of his actions as long as he's in a position to act.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Pretty obvious: Jobs will receive a FaceTime call over 3G at the building site for the new HQ. And he'll be wearing a hard hat.

Ha! Not bad - over the sound of cranes, jackhammers and plenty of busy American construction workers in the background.... ...except Facetime isn't a new feature. ....something to do with Assistant maybe?

All that said, I have no idea whether we'll see him tomorrow or not. But I kinda, sorta 'spect we well for a bit at least..... ...and if we do, it won't be in a "passing the torch" retrospective way, which I think would demean Cook by being a "vote of confidence" (which are almost always reserved for those in whom there is little confidence), and also emphasize, rather than de-emphasize the loss Apple faces without him, rather, as just being part of another successful reality distortion field show in which he plays his chosen role and Cook and Schiller and the others play theirs. Business as usual. Apple lives.
  • Reply 71 of 93
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Except that Schiller sucks are presenting. He has no gravitas, sorry to say. Forstall is 10x better, as well as others.

Personally, I've always found Phil Schiller to be very relatable at keynotes and presentations. He seems like a bit of a goofball when he's part of these events, someone you could actually hang out with for a while and have a decent chat with. However, he does seem to bring out a lot of venom amongst Apple fans for some bizarre reason.
  • Reply 72 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Personally, I've always found Phil Schiller to be very relatable at keynotes and presentations. He seems like a bit of a goofball when he's part of these events, someone you could actually hang out with for a while and have a decent chat with. However, he does seem to bring out a lot of venom amongst Apple fans for some bizarre reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if Schiller had more stage time over Cook. The CEO doesn't have to be on stage.
  • Reply 73 of 93
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

1. Steve didn't "step down" - he moved upstairs. That's rather a big difference. And in corporations - some Chairmen are as or more powerful than CEO's or Presidents, while in others they're figureheads.

2. He also didn't "resign" - he's still specifically an Apple employee. And if able, still a key or the key one in terms of "the vision thing."

Cook by being a "vote of confidence" (which are almost always reserved for those in whom there is little confidence), and also emphasize, rather than de-emphasize the loss Apple faces without him, rather, as just being part of another successful reality distortion field show in which he plays his chosen role and Cook and Schiller and the others play theirs. Business as usual. Apple lives.

I am much more of a fan of Steve Jobs than I am a fan of Apple. A company like any other is what its leaders make it. Its not a democracy.

I wonder how many people truly grasp the word EXECUTE. As in Chief EXECUTive Officer. Being responsible for the execution of day to day business strategy is no picnic and takes more energy then Steve has anymore. He needs to save his energy and focus most of his time on his health. You can still be the visionary as long as you trust the person that it needs to execute. Hopefully Steve can trust Mr. Cook to execute of all day to day activities while Steve is still alive and able to be on the board of Directors. Which are responsible for giving DIRECTion, not EXECUTion.

More over, I don't think there is any point to trying to debate if Steve got promoted or demoted. Going from EXECUTION to DIRECTION.

I dont think he cares. I don't really care at this point either. I am sure I am not alone in this belief. All he cares about is being happy in what he does every waking hour with the time he has left on earth. If he is feeling good enough to talk tomorrow, and Apple allows him. Then it will be for his own reasons which have little to do with stock price or how much money he will make if the stock goes up. I think he stopped caring a long time ago about how much money he has in the bank. If you work very hard on something for a long time, wouldn't you too want to get on stage and show off what you and your team have accomplished? Its not about the money.

If Apple loses its vision after Steve passes (whenever that will be, months, years, decades from now), I will feel sad but I wont be surprised. There are few people on this planet that have had the courage, desire, skill and dedication that Steve has for execution on vision that revolves around making the best product possible 1st, profit 2nd. I honestly don't know that Tim Cook is the guy to keep that up. He is a finance guy.. hopefully he has seen the light however and will be strong and courageous when the going gets tough from "cheap" product competitors.
  • Reply 74 of 93
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

... Him appearing to introduce something or to give a final speech...

Yeah, I think it's a great opportunity to say "thank you all" and then pass "the key to Apple" on to Tim.
  • Reply 75 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh no.... you're back.

Didn't you go away or something, for a long time? Couldn't stay away?

I Think it's called B.O. -- Banned Outright!
  • Reply 76 of 93
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Phil Schiller should do all of the events since he is the head of marketing. That is what marketing people do. They present things to the public. He could have the various heads of departments talk about their areas when necessary. Marketing is about promotion. He is probably the head of how the web site looks and in charge of all of the advertising too.

I agree. I dont see Cook as that type of CEO. There is no point trying to replicate Jobs, if you are not Jobs. Schiller isn't either, but he is a salesman. Cook is an administrative guy.
  • Reply 77 of 93
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Picture caption: I find your lack of faith disturbing

*force choke*
  • Reply 78 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I agree. I dont see Cook as that type of CEO. There is no point trying to replicate Jobs, if you are not Jobs. Schiller isn't either, but he is a salesman. Cook is an administrative guy.

I think that Tim is super organized, has very good recall of details, a fantastic negotiator -- but most of all he is a motivator...

...just ask anyone who has dealt or negotiated with him if they are motivated
  • Reply 79 of 93
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that Tim is super organized, has very good recall of details, a fantastic negotiator -- but most of all he is a motivator...

...just ask anyone who has dealt or negotiated with him if they are motivated

Not the same as being a public speaker, though. He can speak softly and carry a big stick.
  • Reply 80 of 93
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Sorry I did.

I'm glad you did, actually. You elicited the most corrosive and wretched prideful ignorance I've seen around here for a while. How to get rid of this guy?