Apple seen selling iPhone 3GS free with subsidy, $399 without contract

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

This makes no sense. The iPhone 4 is already being sold for free with a 2 year-contract in many markets. I'm most likely going to be picking one up myself next week.

The 3GS is dead.

Yes. The display as Solip points out is one reason. The other is that I can't see them keeping the production lines running and selling it cheaper unless it is a lot cheaper to produce (in lower numbers). The tech is getting old as in no face time and slower processors. It makes sense to keep the 4 as the lower end option.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have never seen you mention aspects of Android-based phones that can't compare with an iPhone.

Then you aren't paying attention.

I've mentioned a few times in my nearly four hundred posts how the unification, ease of use, beauty, sense of design, of Apple is second to none.

How Android 3.0 is buggy and complex compared to iOS on tablets.

You and others (mostly others) focus on my pro Android posts, even going as far as to assume since I'm pro Android I'm anti Apple even suggesting I've made posts I've never made.

Confirmation bias.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Do people really care if the phone costs $50-$200 when they agree to pay $70, or more, a month for 2 years when they buy it? Are math skills that lacking in the adult population?

-kpluck
  • Reply 44 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

It is funny, every person i actually know face to face style who has ever owned any Android model and also used any iPhone says that no Android is on par with even the 3G, let alone the 3GS. My own testing of Android leads me to believe that it is the mobil phone version of windows 95. All the virus worries, all the instability, some pretty colors, and basically useless.

Yet regularly people say Android phones are as good or better. I have just never actually met that person...

Example of what i am saying here, http://jawcl.com/post/10648454899/wh...g-with-android

Having both an android and iphone4 and ipad I would disagree. My android is faster and more stable than ios. No instabilities here. And better battery life. And the ability to select default apps and something as simple as a back button makes it better than ios in some ways. And I have more freedom to do what I want with the device. Customize any aspect to suit my needs.

However I do like itunes for managing my podcasts and books and I like the simplicity of ios. And if I could select default apps in ios I may not have an android phone. And i've been eyeing a WP7 and must say i'm damn impressed with them.
  • Reply 45 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Having both an android and iphone4 and ipad I would disagree. My android is faster and more stable than ios. No instabilities here. And better battery life. And the ability to select default apps and something as simple as a back button makes it better than ios in some ways. And I have more freedom to do what I want with the device. Customize any aspect to suit my needs.

However I do like itunes for managing my podcasts and books and I like the simplicity of ios. And if I could select default apps in ios I may not have an android phone. And i've been eyeing a WP7 and must say i'm damn impressed with them.

If iOS default and jailbroken had half the customization of Android default and rooted I would probably have never jumped on with Android. A more desktop like homescreen would do iOS wonders IMO. IOS home is an app launcher. Boring to me.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    who's gonna pay 399 for a 3GS?!
  • Reply 47 of 78
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Really doubt that last bit. The number of people who own an iPhone 3Gs from two years ago is a tiny percentage of the total iPhone ownership now because the growth in iPhone users has been exponential. If all Apple gets is the upgraders in their ( supposed) 2 year universal contracts, then it wont sell that many.

It needs to convince iPhone 4 users to break contract, or upgrade early, and new entrants to buy their first iPhone. That will exceed the 3GS users, in a tiny number of countries, who bought as new and have a 3GS for 2 years or more.

The modern 3GS user, who bought the 8G version, is not going to upgrade to the iPhone 4S, but may get a deal on the iPhone 4.

The new 3GS is for the lower-mid market.

Apple wants everyone to Upgrade and to be able to Upgrade on a subsidized price will only enable them to sell more phones. It's the Carriers that don't want you to upgrade because if they can continue to collect on your expensive monthly bill without providing a new subsidy payment to Apple, they'll earn more profits.

As soon as those subsidy payments stop flowing...there will be hell to pay.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

The people who don't want to pay $599 for a newer iPhone off-contract, probably, since the 3GS is still the second-best selling phone on the planet.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    archer75archer75 Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Apple wants everyone to Upgrade and to be able to Upgrade on a subsidized price will only enable them to sell more phones. It's the Carriers that don't want you to upgrade because if they can continue to collect on your expensive monthly bill without providing a new subsidy payment to Apple, they'll earn more profits.

As soon as those subsidy payments stop flowing...there will be hell to pay.

If they lower the off contract pricing they get more sales as they don't have to wait for others contracts to end. Most people are on a 2 year contract and won't be able to afford to switch from another phone to an iphone until that's up. And in that time whatever platform they are on may come out with better updates that convinces them to stay.

No, you want people to switch to your platform ASAP.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    $399?? Seriously? This is a 2.5 year old phone we're talking about here. I expected the the iPhone 4 to sell for that much off contract, not the 3GS. With taxes, I'd be paying $450+ for a phone 2 generations behind and likely not to support the next software update/features, which doesn't seem like a very smart move. Also, it's not like Apple to leep selling and promoting a device this old. My iPhone 4 seems ancient.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ahead of Tuesday's iPhone event, analyst Mike Abramsky with RBC Capital Markets said he expects Apple to introduce a refreshed iPhone this week, likely to be branded either "iPhone 5" or "iPhone 4S.".

so, will this be pronounced as "iPhone Force"? It has a nice ring! Still, prefer it if they call it iPhone 5.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    I think people have a slanted view of the 3GS simply because they want everything NOW NOW NOW!!! Sure the 3GS takes a couple of second longer to open an app or to load a page, but that is about it. I used one for two years and only got rid of it because the warranty was expired.

If Apple were to give the 3GS for free on a 2 year contract, I would jump on it and use it for about 6 months. Once the iPhone 5 fever dies down after Xmas I would sell it for around $200 or keep it as a back up and just buy a factory unlocked iPhone 5 (if is doesn't have the iPhone 4 sharp edges). I would rather have an unlocked iPhone anyway.

$49 is too much for the 3GS on contract, but for FREE? The problem is how will the Gold Master of iOS 5 run on the 3GS. Apple doesn't want a black eye from the perception that iOS 5 is a hog of an OS.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    A couple of things.... I don't see the iPhone 3GS continuing to sell well even if it is free, if there is going to be a discounted iPhone 4. They may continue to make it available while clearing out their current inventory, but I have my doubts Apple is continuing to manufacture it.

As far as the $399 off contract offer, I suppose I could see this happening, but that seems like a high price tag for a 2 year old phone. I don't really see it as a prepaid option in the U.S. because most prepaid carriers are CDMA, and I seriously doubt a CDMA version of the 3GS is coming out. Maybe it's a $399 Go Phone on AT&T?
  • Reply 54 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

They go for close to that, new, on eBay. Many people like the 3GS. They like the that is uses a standard SIM card. They like that it can be used as a GoPhone. They like the design of the phone versus the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Sigh, utter nonsense of course. The 3GS will be axed.

J.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

I highly doubt Apple will still sell the 3GS. It's really starting to show it's age, and Apple is too much of a perfectionist to continue selling something that makes them, frankly, look bad. There's just no point.

I agree, especially at that price point. $399...even without a contract, is bonkers. I think they'll sell the 4s and the 4.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Sigh, utter nonsense of course. The 3GS will be axed.

J.

Sigh, utter nonsense of course. The 3GS will NOT be axed.

B.

There is balance in the force again.
  • Reply 58 of 78
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    here ya go...

Wild speculation regarding upcoming products from Apple expected - to be followed by diametrically opposed evaluations of what the impact of those products will be both on Apple's future and the industry in general.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChurchLeola View Post

my best friend's mom makes $77 an hour on the computer. She has been out of job for 9 months but last month her check was $7487 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read about it here CashLazy.com

You best friend's mom wasn't that great...I have had better.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjbjohnson View Post

A couple of things.... I don't see the iPhone 3GS continuing to sell well even if it is free, if there is going to be a discounted iPhone 4. They may continue to make it available while clearing out their current inventory, but I have my doubts Apple is continuing to manufacture it.

As far as the $399 off contract offer, I suppose I could see this happening, but that seems like a high price tag for a 2 year old phone. I don't really see it as a prepaid option in the U.S. because most prepaid carriers are CDMA, and I seriously doubt a CDMA version of the 3GS is coming out. Maybe it's a $399 Go Phone on AT&T?

They may sell it outside the US, you never know.