Fifth-gen iPhone expected to 'shatter' Apple's existing sales records

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

It could have, perhaps, just possibly, been a sarcastic remark to someone who suggested that record sales would be due to a single carrier in America. But I doubt it, as I would never make fun of someone for having such an ethnocentric view.

That's not called for. It's entirely possible that the original point was based on the information that poster had at the time. It's not like they are required to know the potential size of every market on the planet and the factors that might (or might not) drive that potential into actual sales. He/she probably knows the Sprint figures, though.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    The comments about the media blitz and the higher than ever sales are big no duh moments.

Of course there will be a media blitz. The only thing that would get more media coverage than anything Apple is if those twitards actually came out and admitted that they are dating. Both subjects are major hit attractors and the sites are all about getting hits because that's where their money is.

The Higher than Ever sales is a combo of more countries where you can buy the dang thing, more Apple Stores have opened even in the US and more folks have been hanging out with their iPhone toting friends, seeing more and more iPhones everywhere etc.

Where this guy blows it is when he suggests that Apple simply MUST do anything to keep up with anyone. It shows that he has no clue how Apple does things. They are the ultimate Honey Badger when it comes to the notion of keeping up with The Joneses. Especially when The Joneses happen to be those trade dress stealing wanks at Samsung.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I'd think that it comes down to how many Apple can make, major stock shortages are common with popular Apple products.

And it probably pisses off a lot of other companies that folks will wait for whatever to get back in stock when it is an Apple thing. Everyone else, maybe or maybe not
  • Reply 23 of 29
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I hope the voicemail alert icon on the invitation is a clue that Apple is adding a speech to text feature for voicemail messages, perhaps using the Siri technology. Heaven knows the speech-to-text tool in Google Voice sucks.

Or maybe the alert icon means their announcing version 1 of something?
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Oh, the dinner bell has been rung. Standard fandroid retort "but but android outsells iOS 2-to-1" or the obligatory listing of hardware features and/or specs expected on this thread soon.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel21x View Post

If they do have an earth shattering sales record, it will be because they're introducing the iPhone to Sprint.

No offense, but, the world is so much bigger than that. The real prize will be China. And then India.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I can think of at least two huge advantages in keeping the same iPhone 4 form factor for the 2011 iPhone. One helps sales, the other helps lower Apple's costs.

1. iPhone sales tend to slow down after a major redesign, as production of the old model is stopped and production of the new model is slowly ramped up. A substantially unchanged design (other than SoC, unified radio chip, camera, and RAM) means far less down time during the model changeover. And less down time means more sales.

2. Using the same overall iPhone 4 design means that Apple can amortize its development costs over two years (or even three years if the rumors of a free, subsidized 3GS are true.) This works out to a lower development cost per unit produced, which helps keep Apple's hardware margins up.

Another benefit, of course, is that Apple can spend roughly two years on the design and refinement of the next-gen iPhone. Apple might settle into a tick-tock routine: all-new design on even years, refinement and spec upgrades on odd years. The reason why it would take two years to fully develop each next-gen phone is because both the internal and external designs need to change simultaneously.

Oh well. Who knows? There might be a totally new iPhone every year from now on.

And that's what I'm really hoping for.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    to that i say

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/03/...s-performance/

nuff said

people should know its no longer just about paper specs...
  • Reply 28 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Jees, not sure if Sprint is doing the right thing. . .

The Wall Street Journal is writing that "Sprint has bet the company" on Apple's iPhone, committing to purchase over nearly 8 million per year average over the next four years. The cost to Sprint? Over $20B! That's one huge gamble IMO, but smarter people than me signed off on it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...795839250.html
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Whatever they announce tomorrow will be my first iPhone. Like many others I waited for the Verizon iPhone and wasn't going to settle for the iPhone 4 with the next gen model right around the corner.