Apple seen selling iPhone 3GS free with subsidy, $399 without contract

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I agree, especially at that price point. $399...even without a contract, is bonkers. I think they'll sell the 4s and the 4.

I agree the price point is too high, but as it is - as we are reminded in other circumstances - it remains the 2nd best selling device in the US, beating Android phones a month old.

In any case that price might be incorrect ( the Kindle Fire was pegged by the media at $250 on release,it sold at $199), but the fact that it is staying in the line is probably not. There is little or no need to get rid of it - it's speed is not too different from the iPhone 4.

( contrasting with the 3G and 1G which was like molasses running 3.x compared to the 3GS)
  • Reply 62 of 78
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

You best friend's mom wasn't that great...I have had better.

one of those free webcam chat sites?
  • Reply 63 of 78
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I agree the price point is too high, but as it is - as we are reminded in other circumstances - it remains the 2nd best selling device in the US, beating Android phones a month old.

In any case that price might be incorrect ( the Kindle Fire was pegged by the media at $250 on release,it sold at $199), but the fact that it is staying in the line is probably not. There is little or no need to get rid of it - it's speed is not too different from the iPhone 4.

( contrasting with the 3G and 1G which was like molasses running 3.x compared to the 3GS)

Gods the 1G running 3.x...

Worst mistake Apple ever made allowing that. I actually seriously considered 4 other phones due to how bad 3.x ran on the first phone.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

one of those free webcam chat sites?

No, one of those "I worked from home without doing anything and got billions of dollars a day doing" sites.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    She runs a bank in Nigeria for deposed dictators?

• Reply 66 of 78
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

who's gonna pay 399 for a 3GS?!

Ain't folks 'round these parts all clammerin for contract free and pay as yuh go. Well hell, partner - this is the other side of that equation. It costs what it costs.
  • Reply 67 of 78
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Ain't folks 'round these parts all clammerin for contract free and pay as yuh go. Well hell, partner - this is the other side of that equation. It costs what it costs.

it could cost less, though. Then it would also cost what it costs.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

She runs a bank in Nigeria for deposed dictators?

Get me her IM info. Her check bounced!!!! 2x
  • Reply 69 of 78
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    But I thought only Androids were given away free?

In all seriousness, who would get a 3GS on contract even if it was free. If you got one free tomorrow, in 2 years that would have been 4.5 years since the device launched!

iPhone 4 free on contract maybe. 3GS? No way.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

it could cost less, though. Then it would also cost what it costs.

Ahhh, but that would not follow the "blame the carrier" template, now would it? Gonna be ironical when the shouts for regulating the handset manufacturers begin - only after CE and the Interwebs reduce all of them evil cell phone providers to a dumb, fast pipe.

Windfall profits tax!!!
  • Reply 71 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

But I thought only Androids were given away free?

In all seriousness, who would get a 3GS on contract even if it was free. If you got one free tomorrow, in 2 years that would have been 4.5 years since the device launched!

iPhone 4 free on contract maybe. 3GS? No way.

People that spend lots of time traveling.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    You can already get it for free on contract, as low as £20 from what I have seen. Its been that way with the 3GS since the beginning of this year on some networks. Or is this Article purely addressing the American market?
  • Reply 73 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

You can already get it for free on contract, as low as £20 from what I have seen. Its been that way with the 3GS since the beginning of this year on some networks. Or is this Article purely addressing the American market?

Contract free is a new thing in the U.S. it seems. I used to spend 1/3 of the year in AP, 1/3 in the EMEA and had to change my U.S plan every time I skipped The States because of the contract thing. Had a nice Nokia I picked up in Stockholm and a crappy handset for when I was home the remaining 1/3 That Nokia followed me to American Airlines Elite for few years. God bless Vodefone.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

who's gonna pay 399 for a 3GS?!

The same people who currently pay $399 for an iPod touch.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I have no idea if Apple will keep selling, however, my family still has one in use, and it works great. Certainly, much better then your typical pay to go devices. The suggested price for pay to go seems high. I say $299 seems right for a three year old device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

I highly doubt Apple will still sell the 3GS. It's really starting to show it's age, and Apple is too much of a perfectionist to continue selling something that makes them, frankly, look bad. There's just no point.

• Reply 76 of 78
    gqmacgqmac Posts: 4member
    not sure why it moves so slow back home in the US & A.. but if lawmakers come over to Hong Kong to see how real capitalism works, competition has driven both phone prices and packages down to probably one of the cheapest in the world for smartphones.

iPhone4 has been free here for at least 4-5 months already with a 2 year contract. our most expensive package (which gets you the free phone) is ~$50 for unlimited data/minutes, and that's it. All the big 3 telecoms have the official iPhones, and the myriad of other smaller providers have packages for smartphones bought through the apple store or in the black/grey market.

best of all - they all unlocked! they subsidize a bit cheaper for the new ones as well - so when i picked up my iP4 last year on launch day (32gb) i paid ~$225 w/2yr contract @~$50per for unlimited everything (including tethering, which is automatically part of data).

love living out here - and now with the apple store(s) finally opening, things can only get better!
  • Reply 77 of 78
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    I think they will announce only the iPhone 4S and not the 5 (waiting until June / July 2012).

3GS may stay, but at a lower rate (especially if they only offer the 8GB)...the 32GB touch (with dual camera, retina display and A4) is $320 while the 64GB is $430.

Probably more like $199 unsubsidized.
  • Reply 78 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gqmac View Post

not sure why it moves so slow back home in the US & A.. but if lawmakers come over to Hong Kong to see how real capitalism works, competition has driven both phone prices and packages down to probably one of the cheapest in the world for smartphones.

iPhone4 has been free here for at least 4-5 months already with a 2 year contract. our most expensive package (which gets you the free phone) is ~$50 for unlimited data/minutes, and that's it. All the big 3 telecoms have the official iPhones, and the myriad of other smaller providers have packages for smartphones bought through the apple store or in the black/grey market.

best of all - they all unlocked! they subsidize a bit cheaper for the new ones as well - so when i picked up my iP4 last year on launch day (32gb) i paid ~$225 w/2yr contract @~$50per for unlimited everything (including tethering, which is automatically part of data).

love living out here - and now with the apple store(s) finally opening, things can only get better!

How's the coverage in Tibet?