I've just thought of the perfect replacement for the Classic

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
...and it's not the Cloud.

How about a high capacity Bluetooth pocket server compatible with iOS?

Streaming from cloud storage is useless when you don't have network coverage, and when you have data limits, which is most of the time for most people.

For people who want to have more than 64GB or possibly 128GB of music and videos on the go, there is still no replacement for the Classic.

But imagine a device that's just a 250GB micro hard drive, a Bluetooth chip, and a battery, able to serve all compatible iTunes files to iOS devices. It would work with the iPhone, the iPod Touch, and the iPad, and could be a "local cloud" storage for apps, music, videos, photos, everything. You could keep it in your pocket or your bag, and it wouldn't add any weight to your other devices. The battery could easily outlast the battery of the Classic. It doesn't have to be paper thin, so it could have a larger capacity battery.

It's easy to imagine such a device replacing the Classic!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Another device to carry around? Nah.

Another device to charge? Nah.

Another device to sync? Nah.

And is Bluetooth even fast enough to push stuff like that to devices yet?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    One function (listening to music or watching a video) requiring two separate devices? ... Doesn't sound very "Apple-ish" to me.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

One function (listening to music or watching a video) requiring two separate devices? ... Doesn't sound very "Apple-ish" to me.

Exactly how many devices do you suppose people who use Classics carry around with them?

At a minimum, they have a Classic and a phone. How would this be any different, except that you can use the phone for everything except storage, and you never have to take the server out of your bag? And if Bluetooth can stream analog audio to headphones, it has plenty of speed to stream compressed audio files, and to send compressed video to a cache with a slight delay.

The idea here is that for many people, there's nothing that can replace the Classic, because they want to have all their files with them. Well, I'm saying here's something that can provide the same benefit, as well as allowing you to use one device for playback of all media.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Exactly how many devices do you suppose people who use Classics carry around with them?

... as well as allowing you to use one device for playback of all media.

I carry my iPhone. It can store and play files and make calls... All in one unit.

It can carry enough "files" to last longer than I'll be away from home... And I'm gone for days at a time.

As I understand your proposed device, it is ONLY a storage device... Will still require at least an iPhone to play anything on it. possibly an iPod (and then a third device for making calls.)

I'm not saying it's a BAD idea... In fact, it would be ideal for some folks... It's just not the "Apple" way of doing things.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    This already sort of exists. Seagate has a Wi-Fi hard drive server that works with iOS (and other mobiles), and can stream media using their app.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...001a48090aRCRD

I can imagine that the concept can be improved upon (integration with the OS for one), but I agree that it seems very awkward to use. Even if you don't have to take it out of your bag to stream from it, you would need to charge it regularly...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

This already sort of exists. Seagate has a Wi-Fi hard drive server that works with iOS (and other mobiles), and can stream media using their app.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...001a48090aRCRD

I can imagine that the concept can be improved upon (integration with the OS for one), but I agree that it seems very awkward to use. Even if you don't have to take it out of your bag to stream from it, you would need to charge it regularly...

Exactly. That thing is huge compared to the Classic, and my version would be even smaller.

It's just like the first giant hard drive based MP3 players and the first iPod. Apple totally reevaluated size, battery life and interface to take an awkward idea and make it great.

And iOS integration is the key that would make it not awkward. Sure you'd have to charge it, but the battery could last for days of constant use, or for weeks of standby.