Report reaffirms Apple's iPhone 5 won't feature 4G LTE or WiMAX

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Wow. That is a bold move by Apple.

It is a practical move by Apple there is nothing bold about it.

Quote:

Does this mean a new iPhone next June?

I'm certain in a couple of hours we will have a better idea as to Apples intentions. However I'm certain that software will be a driving force in Apple hardware.

Quote:

By next fall, will there be a premium phone by any manufacturer (except Apple) that fails to include fast data connections?

By premium do you mean fat and heavy? I don't get this obsession with the term premium anyways, it isn't about the hardware it is the software that sets iPhone apart.

Quote:

Amazing. I don't get it.

Yes that is obvious!!!!

Quote:

I'm leaning towards i5 coming out next spring, with a 4S now. That way Apple can sell now and sell later. That is their usual strategy with new devices. They sell a stripped down model to the early adopters, and follow it up shortly with a full(er) featured mass-market product that the EAs buy a second time. Are they extending that strategy to mature products too?

I really don't know what you are talking about above. Apple can only build iPhones based on the technology available to them at the time. The next gen iPhones likely won't have LTE because the technology isn't there yet. Pretty simple really.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    i see no need to update my 3gs until an LTE version of the iPhone comes out. the 3gs does everything i need it to do. the wife has the 4 and outside of Facetime, everything seems the same to me. better camera? eh... not my thing. i prefer Apple take their time and make a great LTE phone. doesn't matter how long it takes.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Over the last several months AT&T has been lighting up there HSPA+ network from where it was at the start of this past summer... heck it's now active where I live. I view this as a better point for AT&T and perhaps a token from Apple as thank you for taking a risk with them... while not a true 4G it is a step forward rather than backwards with a CDMA network... perhaps this is why Verizon is on Samsung side feeling a little slighted...
  • Reply 24 of 63
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Does this mean a new iPhone next June?

By next fall, will there be a premium phone by any manufacturer (except Apple) that fails to include fast data connections?

Amazing. I don't get it.

This is the same type of commentary that preceded 3G on the iphone (many people said they wouldn't buy it until it had 3G). I'm not sure leaving this out would really stifle sales anyway. Regarding iphone hardware, when has it ever been in the lead in terms of hardware? It simply functions exceptionally well as a complete system with a few quirks, none of which are that bad.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I really don't know what you are talking about above. Apple can only build iPhones based on the technology available to them at the time. The next gen iPhones likely won't have LTE because the technology isn't there yet. Pretty simple really.

The first iPhone did not have 3G, even thought "the technology [was] available to them at the time".

The first iPad did not have a camera, even thought "the technology [was] available to them at the time".

That is what I am talking about. Apple routinely issues new products that are missing basic, obvious capabilities, only to follow up shortly with a product including the missing stuff. ISTM that they do NOT do that because "the technology [is not] available to them at the time".

All I can guess is that they take their most rabid customers as fools.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Working on the new iPhone, I see."

"Yep, we just need a name for this SIXTH iteration of our iPhone hardware that has the ASIX chip inside and is running iOS SIX."

I believe it will be the iPhone 111, completing the long awaited shift to binary...
  • Reply 27 of 63
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    AppleTards can spin this anyway they want, but the reality is that if this report is true, Apple will fall seriously behind Android.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I have an iPhone 3G that's been used as an iPod touch since January. I have a Samsung Messager (that IS the "correct" spelling, according to Cricket) that is a huge POS. I'm ready to jump back into a new iPhone, but it has to...

...be on Sprint's WiMAX 4G network. (for a few reasons I won't get into)

...have AT LEAST a 4" screen.

...have a dual-core processor.

Otherwise there's a Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch with my name on it.

BTW, it's good to be back, but I see you all have continued the time-honored tradition of personal attacks, baseless claims and general curmudgeonry. Keep up the good work, kids.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Regarding iphone hardware, when has it ever been in the lead in terms of hardware?.

Every single iPhone ever released has been cutting edge. First one was a revolution. Back in the day, what was more cutting edge than the 3GS? Even the most recent one had a cutting edge screen, the "Retina Display".

If they just rehash an old design and fail to even catch up to the Galaxy SII et. al., it will mark a departure from their previous strategy.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

This is the same type of commentary that preceded 3G on the iphone (many people said they wouldn't buy it until it had 3G). I'm not sure leaving this out would really stifle sales anyway. Regarding iphone hardware, when has it ever been in the lead in terms of hardware? It simply functions exceptionally well as a complete system with a few quirks, none of which are that bad.

The leap between 2G and 3G was so big that the lack of 3G did put a lot of people off purchasing the original iPhone (at least here in the UK).

I don't think that the difference in experience between 3G and these 3.75G/3.9G technologies is so big.

2G to 3G was like going between VHS and DVD. 3G to HSPA+/LTE is like going between DVD and Blu-Ray. Most people won't be able to tell the difference using today's services.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The leap between 2G and 3G was so big that the lack of 3G did put a lot of people off purchasing the original iPhone (at least here in the UK).

I don't think that the difference in experience between 3G and these 3.75G/3.9G technologies is so big.

2G to 3G was like going between VHS and DVD. 3G to HSPA+/LTE is like going between DVD and Blu-Ray. Most people won't be able to tell the difference using today's services.

That is actually a really good analogy.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:

I think you're wrong here.

If the new iPhone has HSPA+ for instance, it would potentially have three times the download speed of the current iPhone. It will indeed be a noticeable difference in markets that support the device.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

AppleTards can spin this anyway they want, but the reality is that if this report is true, Apple will fall seriously behind Android.

don't bring that negativity here.

you're starting a flame-war and then I'm going to have to combat wave after wave of disinformation.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If the new iPhone has HSPA+ for instance, it would potentially have three times the download speed of the current iPhone. It will indeed be a noticeable difference in markets that support the device.

HSPA+ is great...I have it on my G2X and while I know there is faster speed out there, I feel it's fine.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:

Every single iPhone ever released has been cutting edge. First one was a revolution. Back in the day, what was more cutting edge than the 3GS? Even the most recent one had a cutting edge screen, the "Retina Display".

If they just rehash an old design and fail to even catch up to the Galaxy SII et. al., it will mark a departure from their previous strategy.

There will be some interesting things I'm sure...

But I feel this is more of a 3G/3GS type upgrade than a 3GS/4 upgrade.

Like someone else said, this is mainly meant to attract the 3GS holders and newcomers.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:

Every single iPhone ever released has been cutting edge. First one was a revolution. Back in the day, what was more cutting edge than the 3GS?

Umm, any camera phone with a built in flash?
  • Reply 37 of 63
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

don't bring that negativity here.

you're starting a flame-war and then I'm going to have to combat wave after wave of disinformation.

Just ignore it and they will not commect like that anymore.......
  • Reply 38 of 63
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Download speeds aren't the bottleneck on mobile devices at the moment. When people complain about web browsing being slow, the real culprit is usually latency. HSPA+ doesn't solve the latency issue.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

AppleTards sound like a great dessert. Can you get them in State college

Or maybe they are leotards with an Apple logo on them.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:

Download speeds aren't the bottleneck on mobile devices at the moment. When people complain about web browsing being slow, the real culprit is usually latency. HSPA+ doesn't solve the latency issue.

For the less-than-fully-tech-literate amongst us, where might we read about what is the nature of this Latency Issue? Thanks.