Apple outs iPhone 4S coming Oct. 14, plus an updated iPod nano

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple jumped the gun on Tuesday, updating websites in Japan ahead of its media event, revealing the new iPhone 4S set to go on sale on Oct. 14, as well as an updated iPod nano with a "new user interface."

The details come from the sites for Apple's Japanese retail stores, where the name "iPhone 4S" is listed. A translation of the site reveals that the handset will be available starting Oct. 14 at 8 a.m.

The first confirmation of the iPhone 4S name came from a beta build of iTunes. Hidden in the software was a reference to an iPhone 4S, with a design similar to the current iPhone 4.

Also mentioned on the site is an updated iPod nano with a "new user interface," as well as improved fitness functionality. The translated page also makes mention of a "new clock face" with the device.

Neither of the blurbs on the page reveal any further details on the iPhone 4S or updated iPod nano, but all will be revealed in a matter of minutes at Apple's iPhone media event. Stick with AppleInsider for live coverage of the keynote presentation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    PLEASE, LET THIS BE FAKE INFO! Please, I want 4" screen, otherwise I am out shopping for something else
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uncore View Post

PLEASE, LET THIS BE FAKE INFO! Please, I want 4" screen, otherwise I am out shopping for something else

Oh, come OFF IT.

It's on Apple's website itself, for heaven's sake. Just deal with it.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Quote:

i agree man! why make us wait extra months for the same freakin design!!!! they screwed up big time bro!
  • Reply 4 of 34
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaedre View Post

i agree man! why make us wait extra months for the same freakin design!!!! they screwed up big time bro!

Maybe there is something more to it. If it is voice (can already basically do with apps), and a slightly faster (yet supposed underclocked A5) then Apple screwed the pooch.

New CEO with all eyes, delayed release...and you roll out a slight bump?

Gotta be more to it.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Now with pics:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/10/04/ap...the-iphone-4s/

Same form as the 4.

Anyone recognize the icon next to Notes and Clock?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaedre View Post

Maybe too busy building lawsuits against Samsung and changing suppliers instead of what they do best. Let's hope they at least make it more affordable.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Anyone recognize the icon next to Notes and Clock?

Yeah. Reminders. Straight from iOS 5.

• Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, come OFF IT.

It's on Apple's website itself, for heaven's sake. Just deal with it.

If so, it is epic fail! I will not believe they can release the same form factor and same sized screen for the fifth time until I see it with my own eyes
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:

I will not believe they can release the same form factor and same sized screen for the fifth time until I see it with my own eyes

You just did. On the Apple Store link. Quit complaining.

Personally, I'm ecstatic. Larger screen? Screw it. Doesn't appeal to me.

Same form factor? Who fricking cares? The iPhone 4's the second-best looking iPhone ever.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Looks like the 4S and iOS 5 is it.

I don't see a reason to have delayed the hardware just to release iOS 5. Oh well.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

Same form factor? Who fricking cares? The iPhone 4's the second-best looking iPhone ever.

You bet I am not going to stop complaining! After 14? 15? months still the same s..t? I am ready to buy iPhone 5, but definitely not with the same form factor!
  • Reply 12 of 34
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

You bet I am not going to stop complaining! After 14? 15? months still the same s..t? I am ready to buy iPhone 5, but definitely not with the same form factor!

What's wrong with the form factor?

It's what's on the inside that counts.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    uncoreuncore Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

What's wrong with the form factor?

It's what's on the inside that counts.

what about the too small lcd? ok, I am done, it has just been introduced, iPhone 4s, same screen, same design... epic dissapointment for me, i just cant believe what I am seeing in the live coverage : -(
  • Reply 14 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

what about the too small lcd?

LOLWUT.

You people are hilarious.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Fuck me I am so disappointed.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    wow, what a flop. The most hype any iPhone has ever had, the longest wait, and all this for the same phone that runs a bit faster.

EPIC FAIL
  • Reply 17 of 34
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Sorry mate you are going to be hearing a lot from me. Or maybe not. I'm sitting here in disbelief. This is not good. Not good.

Doesn't look like flash photography is improved in the iPhone4S even though it's 8MP. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone4 *daylight* pics and day and night 720p HD video.

The damn flash is still so near the lens! That's caused heaps of problems especially in smoky conditions as well.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Still hoping for a "oh yeah, one more thing" moment where an actual NEW phone is rolled out. But not likely with all the 4S updates.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Sorry mate you are going to be hearing a lot from me. Or maybe not. I'm sitting here in disbelief. This is not good. Not good.

See, this is why more people need to be like me.

Not necessarily as, you know, world-worn, but like this:

Quote:

My guess.

Only "4S". Modified Verizon iPhone with SIM tray (or embedded SIM) and necessary antennas. A5 chip. Rest of the specs are the same.

Because Apple ALWAYS is within or under my pessimism.

Oh, look! 8MP camera! See, they've overshot me, and now I'm actually HAPPY about the release.

Actually, I'm not. I hate the idea of an 8MP camera. It's worthless and confusing, but if someone ELSE had guessed the same thing, they'd be really, really happy.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Hey, at least I'll be able to increase my AAPL holdings at a lower price this afternoon!