Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 141 of 641
    so when you pre-order do you go to a store to pick it up or do they deliver it to your house?
  • Reply 142 of 641
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    I wonder how Siri works outdoors in NYC? Good luck with that one.

Whatever happened to the digital"wallet" chip? I'd rather have that then some fembot answering questions- I'm not that lonely.
  • Reply 143 of 641
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    NO NFC? NO WALLET? NO TURN-BY-TURN?

WTF!

In other news, the Android platform triples it's lead over iOS...
  • Reply 144 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sip View Post

I'm still using a factory-unlocked 3GS and am sorely tempted to buy a plain iPhone4 but will probably end up with the 4S. The camera is tempting to be used as a P&S, especially if it comes anywhere near my Nikon D40 (also have a D700 but no point-n-shoot).

The 64GB is welcome as the 8MP images and 1080 video files are going to be huge compared to 5MP and 720 video. Also useful as temporary storage for my dSLRs for when I don't have the iPad with me.

Tough decision to make in the next two days and if I succumb to temptation, I shall pre-order factory unlocked for delivery on 14 Oct 2011.

Good point about the need for 64GB for the camera and Video.
  • Reply 145 of 641
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

Woohoo! Been waiting for a stock buying opportunity!

Exactly!
  • Reply 146 of 641
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

All this whining amazes me. I realize that there are a lot of people who like nothing better than attacking Apple, but this is absurd.

The new phone has:

- much faster processor

- much faster data speeds

- new antenna

- greatly improved camera

- incredible voice recognition

- Improved software

- World phone capability

- up to twice the storage capacity

In fact, virtually everything is new except the case.

This.

The single best selling cell phone ever just got a dual core heart, more storage, a better camera, voice recognition that (at least from the demos) rivals a star trek movie scene, a new OS and is now a world phone.

...and people are complaining that it looks the same.

"But it looks just like the last one! How will people know that I spent more money than the guy next to me?!"

App idea, the i am rich app launched by voice control...

I weep bitter tears for the shear stupidity of much of humanity.
  • Reply 147 of 641
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Wow, how many years on these boards now.

Apple announces something new. People come on and say they are underwhelmed - or some remark about how the competition has something better. Only for Apple to blow the competition away and change the way the competition manufactures their products.

Do you people ever get tired of being wrong?
  • Reply 148 of 641
    hoganhogan Posts: 94member
    Small sample size but reaction is a bit underwhelming.

8 people here in office with iPhones (5 x iPhone 3Gs; 3 x iPhone4), and two of the 3Gs are jailbroken.

Only one is definitely upgrading to iPhone 4s. The rest see nothing sufficiently compelling to warrant the upgrade.

Siri commanded some interest but nobody really wants to talk to their iPhone (I love the feature)
  • Reply 149 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afreemanmd View Post

What is possibly good about a "world phone" as long as the phone is forever locked to a single carrier, even after contract? I guess if you have Verizon and go to europe, verizon could contract with another carrier to provide you with exorbitantly expensive coverage there. It seems to me the only thing good about this is that is simplifies Apple's manufacturing. This is not much of a feature IMHO unless they sell unlocked versions or will unlock after contract.

They'll offer unlocked versions at some point I'm sure. Your point is well taken.
  • Reply 149 of 641
    amtwwgamtwwg Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Really? Because my Evo consistently lasts a day and half without needing a charge, and still goes a full day when I'm using 4G to surf the web. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the iPhone 4S will continue the trend of amazing battery life, but you did NOT return the Evo after 3 days because you never purchased one. I'm not sure why you would need more than a day of battery life to be quite honest.

On that note: For the idiots claiming this isn't a great upgrade, it is. Apple has never been a "bleeding edge technology" company.They've consistently been an "optimize the current technology so it runs better than bleeding edge" and that's exactly what they've given.

On that note, Siri look amazing. Even for beta.

I call BS. I've had an EVO since it was released and I have to carry 2 extra batteries around with me if I'm going to be away from a plug. It has the worst, bar none, battery life of any device out there.
  • Reply 151 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

All this whining amazes me. I realize that there are a lot of people who like nothing better than attacking Apple, but this is absurd.

The new phone has:

- much faster processor

- much faster data speeds

- new antenna

- greatly improved camera

- incredible voice recognition

- Improved software

- World phone capability

- up to twice the storage capacity

In fact, virtually everything is new except the case.

Yet everyone is whining "we didn't get anything new - just a faster iPhone). So do you use your phone to make calls or access the internet - or do you spend all your time staring at the case? It's funny that it's the Apple haters who are spending the most time focusing on the package rather than what's inside.

It's a great update - whether they called it iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 or Swiss Cheese.

I totally agree. Apple has updated everything except for the display and the exterior. Outside of the narrow slice of the population represented by posters in this forum, it is a rather impressive new phone.

Yes; I know keeping the same exterior design opens up the iPhone 4s to competitors criticisms that will claim it is nothing new. However, the reality is that it was a great physical design to begin with. Now, with the guts entirely replaced with a major upgrade, we get a new phone with significantly improved performance--and my existing iPhone 4 performed pretty well to begin with.
  • Reply 152 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

If I was you (obviously am not) I'd hold onto the iP4 another year. This is a great update, but not that radically different from the 4 especially since most of everything is an OS upgrade not hardware. I'm on a 3GS so for me this would be a major upgrade for hardware and OS... my decision thinking starts... now!

It pretty much just comes down to the speed enhancements. I suppose I'll have to sort out the extra storage capacity to see how much that matters to me. And the other factor will be whether Siri runs on the iPhone 4 or not. It looks like a pretty nice feature to have. And finally, it might actually be profitable to upgrade my phone. Between selling the iPhone 4, buying the 4S, and then selling the 4S for whatever comes next, I might come out ahead or face a negligible cost.

Cool thing about the 4 is that it was the first iPhone where I truly felt that I wouldn't be in a big rush to replace it with the 'next big thing'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

If you think the Galaxy S II is a "brick," you've obviously never used one or put it in your pocket. The 4, on the other hand... now THAT is a brick.

Screen is too big (and thus the device). Heck, for comfort, the screen on the iPhone is too big, but I wouldn't want it smaller because it would then become even more difficult to interact with. Your curious defense of the Galaxy S II as implied elegance while calling the iPhone 4 a 'brick' by comparison, by the way, is delusional.
  • Reply 153 of 641
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Actually in those comparison they never compare ALL iOS devices against ALL Android devices because the numbers would not work out so well.

They compare ALL Android phones to ALL iPhones sales.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

• Reply 154 of 641
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple announces something new. People come on and say they are underwhelmed - or some remark about how the competition has something better. Only for Apple to blow the competition away and change the way the competition manufactures their products.

+1.....happens every time.
  • Reply 155 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richwl View Post

I can't believe that people are getting so emotional about this! It's a PHONE people! And it's nearly entirely new where it matters the most which is INSIDE. Why should Apple redesign the outside every time they upgrade the phone? They don't do that with their computers do they? I think that the problem is that they have moved so quickly on both fronts that people simply expect it to always be that way. It was inevitable that they would slow down on changing the form factor. I'm typing this on a late 2008 15" MacBook Pro. It looks virtually identical to a 2011 15" MacBook Pro. Big deal! It's funny because this makes me think of how people are with cars. They think a car is so different/better if the sheet metal gets changed significantly, but the internals are all the same as there previous model. Car companies take advantage of this all the time! Apple most likely feels that the current design of the iPhone 4 is good enough to stick with for another year. And you know what? They'll sell MILLIONS of them! So stop crying like a bunch of babies that just got their lollipops stolen. The iPhone 4S is a serious upgrade where it really counts and that's in performance!

Amen!
  • Reply 156 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottdreed_fsi View Post

I see your point my man, but really, you didn't think after the past 3 product launches being home runs that Apple would debut a totally new iPhone? The stock is diving it seems. That's a shame!

The iPhone 3GS was a better iPhone 3G with some new hardware features, and all-around improvements to existing features. The iPhone 4S is that and more with the introduction of Siri. So much for your "That's a shame" theory.
  • Reply 157 of 641
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedHotJeff View Post

What will you say when the iPhone 5 has a bigger screen? ... ... ... Exactly. Good job guys.

There will be no iPhone 5. And I'll still say that it sucks eggs if any future iPhone has a larger screen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Not in profits. Or in sales. Or marketshare. Or user retention. Or customer feedback.

So? in what?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I'm more surprised that I keep finding it flipping hilarious every single time.
  • Reply 158 of 641
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    i like how disappointing tim cook quoted prices on contract, does he believe that everybody buys on contract? how can he expect iPhone 4 users to fork out 700 bucks for this damp squib of an upgrade. he's taking us for a ride
  • Reply 159 of 641
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"4G-like", of course, being a term for HSPA+.

Not HSPA+, but still HSDPA, as indicated in the presentation. The difference between iP4 and iP4S appears to be the use of up to two upstream channels by the 4S.

In addition to throughput rates, let's see the latency statistics.

disappointing, but you can't say Apple is making any recent iPhone buyers feel depressed.

btw: I'm never using a dictation service that requires uploading/disclosing info. and I see nothing in Siri basic that should require the 4S.
  • Reply 160 of 641
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Ok, time to stop being negative nancy. So all current 4 cases will still work on the 4S? That's good. That and my increased stake in AAPL, pretty good day.