Apple updates iPod nano with improved interface, expanded fitness features

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's iPod nano now features an even easier to navigate user interface with larger icons, as well as an improved fitness experience that can track runs without any extra sensors.

Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, said the new iPod nano models are available immediately, referring to the nano model as "really fun way to enjoy music wherever you are."

The new refreshed iPod nano retains the same square form factor with multitouch screen and integrated pedometer and FM radio, but is now easier to navigate, with full screen app icons that are swiped between.

The new model has an "improved fitness experience," with no need for an external Nike+ sensor to track runs or walks.

Third parties have introduced watch bands to hold the iPod nano, and Schiller remarked that Apple "though that was really fun," so it has added a total of 16 new clock faces available for users who wear the device on their wrist as a watch.

"Why not, right?" Schiller asked. The electronic watch faces include classic and sporty designs, even a faux LED segment face and a Mickey Mouse watch face, a design that garnered specific applause during the announcement.

The new iPod nano is available in 7 colors, with a 8GB version for $129, or 16GB model for $149, a price drop from the original $149 and $179.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new iPod nano features an even easier to navigate user interface with larger icons, as well as an improved fitness experience that can track runs without any extra sensors.

The refreshed iPod nano also has a total of 16 new clock faces available for users who wear the device on their wrist as a watch.....

All of this sounds like software. Do you really need to buy a new nano to get these features? Is there a reason why a software update to the previous nano couldn't give you all of this?
  • Reply 2 of 42
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

All of this sounds like software. Do you really need to buy a new nano to get these features? Is there a reason why a software update to the previous nano couldn't give you all of this?

Apple has a strong history of releasing a new iPod that's basically just a software update but requiring users to re-buy to get the latest features. Big bummer. I know.

I have a nano and would love to get the new watch faces, but I'm not going to buy a whole new device just for that.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wish it had GPS and Nike+GPS app built in, but I do like it enough that I'll likely get it.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Having to swipe through a bunch of icons to find what I'm looking for is NOT an improved interface. Proof that Apple has completely lost interest in the iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Having to swipe through a bunch of icons to find what I'm looking for is NOT an improved interface. Proof that Apple has completely lost interest in the iPod.

I couldn't tell from the feeds, but did they change to the large icons only? In other words, it's not just an option?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    16 clock faces?? No Bluetooth 4 to talk to the iPhone 4s and get alerts and weather etc..

Common apple, your really not doing much with the nano. Do you really want to sell these things?
  • Reply 7 of 42
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Meh.

Sort of entertaining to sit here and watch AAPL stock drop while this event is going on. Investors not pleased. And nothing here for me. Don't need a 4s, the nano not really an upgrade, iMessage won't work on my Mac, no appleTV additions. I miss Steve.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

That's my question. Will they give this to 6th gen nano owners as a software update or no?
  • Reply 9 of 42
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

+1

iPod sales have stagnated/dropped in part because Apple has lost interest in doing anything with the product line. The nano is one of the worst iPod's Apple has ever created. This is "lipstick on a pig". I'd love to see a graph of nano sales over the years, and I'd bet you'd see it huge drop coinciding with the release of the "wristwatch" nano. These's new "features" aren't going to change that.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's unfortunate that the Nano didn't hit the $99. sweet spot. This is just a rest-on-your-laurels update.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

iPod sales have stagnated/dropped in part because Apple has lost interest in doing anything with the product line.

Or because people already have one.

Quote:

The nano is one of the worst iPod's Apple has ever created.

Subjective as all get out.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:

+1

iPod sales have stagnated/dropped in part because Apple has lost interest in doing anything with the product line. The nano is one of the worst iPod's Apple has ever created. This is "lipstick on a pig". I'd love to see a graph of nano sales over the years, and I'd bet you'd see it huge drop coinciding with the release of the "wristwatch" nano. These's new "features" aren't going to change that.

I really dig the nano. It's tiny yet jammed with features that I use daily. The new one icon at a time interface doesn't work for me, but it's just an option. You can view the regular four icons at once as well if you choose. As far as I can tell though, there is still no option to leave the screen on at all times which is helpful when using it as a watch or wearable art.

I doubt my nano from last year will get this cool software update, but that's how Apple has been doing iPod updates for a long time now.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:

+1

iPod sales have dropped because no one has any use for the iPod. There is a small market (i.e. the fitness market) that has use for something outside the iPod Touch, and that is it.

If it was only Apple doing poorly, then why isn't anyone else being able to step in and fill the gap? Why is even MS killing their dedicated music player?
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It's unfortunate that the Nano didn't hit the $99. sweet spot. This is just a rest-on-your-laurels update.

Actually, I think Apple has realized (and I am sure their sales figures show this) that there is a very small market for a dedicated music player outside the iPod Touch, and that market is probably almost completely made of the fitness market, hence the focus on fitness features.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I like that the Mickey Mouse watch face is live on the nano product page. It'd be nice if Apple would release an SDK for the nano so developers could create their own watch faces or other goodies that would fit - like alarms.

Certainly the jump from $129 to $199 for a touch is not enough to keep people from buying a touch rather than a nano. But there must be a big enough audience that likes the small form-factor.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

I couldn't tell from the feeds, but did they change to the large icons only? In other words, it's not just an option?

On the nano product page it says you can choose 1 or 4 icons to a page.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:

Quote:

+1

Agreed... I never liked the new Nano. From the Nano design page, "View icons one at a time, or display four icons on each screen. And you can change the order of the icons to find your stuff fast." It does seem iPod sales in general must be way down, notice they bragged about numbers for everything except iPod which was the shortest part of the event. Outside of the touch it seems they lost iPod interest will put less resources in to them over time, but adding a few updates to keep some level of interest and maybe make em low production/cost grab bag items
  • Reply 18 of 42
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    The "fitness features" is pretty minimal. So it has an accelerometer, and is somehow using that to track the distance of a run? I really wonder just how accurate that might be? No HR, no GPS, nothing other than running or walking?

The nano could be so much more. At least for now it appears AAPL is mostly ignoring it. Put BT on it? A rudimentary camera as a full-up iOS device? Even drop ANT+ sport onto it so as to make it a expandable fitness device by third party developers? I do understand that the battery and processor power would be a significant engineering hurdle. No one at AAPL is apparently interested.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Actually Apple has just pushed an update for existing iPod Nano. Check for update in iTunes.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

It does seem iPod sales in general must be way down, notice they bragged about numbers for everything except iPod which was the shortest part of the event. Outside of the touch it seems they lost iPod interest will put less resources in to them over time, but adding a few updates to keep some level of interest and maybe make em low production/cost grab bag items

Cook said they sold 45 million iPods from July 2010 to June 2011. That's not a small number, though of course it's down from a few years ago.