Now a good time to get iPad 2? Or wait?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Family member wants a iPhone and iPad, so i told her to wait till 4S and she has, i am just curious if she gets the iPad 2 she will regret it because the new 3/HD version will be out super soon.

I am really just curious what the community knows with their ear to the ground on rumors and info. Also if there is a "ipad" yearly event like there is a "iPhone" event that just happened, and if so when is that normally?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    April.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

April.

Hmmm 6 months? Long enough away that i will recommend she get the iPad 2. Thank you.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    ddo2ddo2 Posts: 14member
    I was about to buy an iPad 2 when I saw that iOS 5 is coming out. So, if I waltz into a store on the 12th, the stuff in stock will have iOS 5 pre-loaded, or does it take awhile for that to happen. I bought my wife's Mac after Leopard came out, and I seem to recall it was a couple days for the new stock to come in.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddo2 View Post

I was about to buy an iPad 2 when I saw that iOS 5 is coming out. So, if I waltz into a store on the 12th, the stuff in stock will have iOS 5 pre-loaded, or does it take awhile for that to happen. I bought my wife's Mac after Leopard came out, and I seem to recall it was a couple days for the new stock to come in.

+1, good question.

If i buy a iPad 2 this friday, will it come preloaded with iOS 5?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post

If i buy a iPad 2 this friday, will it come preloaded with iOS 5?

Since iOS 5 won't be out until the 12th and anything you buy this Friday will have been in stores for weeks, what do you think?

It's no big deal that it comes with 4.3.5. Just update when the time comes.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Since iOS 5 won't be out until the 12th and anything you buy this Friday will have been in stores for weeks, what do you think?

It's no big deal that it comes with 4.3.5. Just update when the time comes.

Well, it is kind of big deal, because I'm kind of hoping to avoid syncing it with a computer at all. I have a ton of computers, and I don't know that I want to sync it to one in paricular, even for a day. But, putting that specific nit aside, if I go to the store on the 12th and buy one, shouldn't they have the new OS preloaded? The ones that are in stock right now, aren't they either RTMd for an update (or updated there) before sale?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

if I go to the store on the 12th and buy one, shouldn't they have the new OS preloaded?

No. It will be a week or more after the 12th before that happens.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

No. It will be a week or more after the 12th before that happens.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I don't get how they can ship a new phone with the new OS and be available that day, but they can't flash cut with the new OS on legacy products.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddo2 View Post

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I don't get how they can ship a new phone with the new OS and be available that day, but they can't flash cut with the new OS on legacy products.

I don't mean to be rude, but seriously? Do you really not get why a brand new product that was produced weeks ago can have something new on it but something that has been sitting on store shelves all packaged nicely, cannot?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I don't mean to be rude, but seriously? Do you really not get why a brand new product that was produced weeks ago can have something new on it but something that has been sitting on store shelves all packaged nicely, cannot?

Ok, that was too glib on my part. I understand HOW it happens, but I don't understand WHY it happens. Somewhere in China there's a bunch of iPhone 4Ss. They're going to get loaded with iOS 5 and shipped off for release on the 14th. Meanwhile, there's boxes of iPads in the stores and various points in the distribution channel. Apple does such a good job of keeping control over its products, I'm sort of shocked they don't, as a matter of general policy, have it set up so that on the 12th, a host of iOS 5-loaded iPads, iPhones, iPods, are sitting around ready to go on sale, and the old ones get either upgraded (it is just a software upgrade) in the back or shipped to a service center for updating.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    If i buy the iPad 2 Wifi+3G from Apple.com, i dont have to add the data plan until i want to correct?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

If i buy the iPad 2 Wifi+3G from Apple.com, i dont have to add the data plan until i want to correct?

Correct
  • Reply 13 of 22
    i am planning on picking up a tablet for xmas. was going to get an ipad2 for the family but think i am just going to get the wife an e reader and wait for an ipad3. only worried they will flub that the way they did today.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Does anyone know if buying the iPad 2 from bestbuy is the same as buying it from a Apple store? And by that i mean you dont have to add the data plan in the store.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Does anyone know if buying the iPad 2 from bestbuy is the same as buying it from a Apple store? And by that i mean you dont have to add the data plan in the store.

It's not something you have to activate in-store. Apple's gone to great lengths to make that particular process as benign as possible. That said, if they offer it, or try to insinuate that it's got to be down at the time of purchase then walk away.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

It's not something you have to activate in-store. Apple's gone to great lengths to make that particular process as benign as possible. That said, if they offer it, or try to insinuate that it's got to be down at the time of purchase then walk away.

Thanks, yeah that makes sense at stores its that way (and that some would try to push it on you). I just know i want my family member whos getting one to not activate it yet, go a few weeks and see if Wifi only is enough, if not, then she can activate the 3G data.

Thanks for you help.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

i am planning on picking up a tablet for xmas. was going to get an ipad2 for the family but think i am just going to get the wife an e reader and wait for an ipad3. only worried they will flub that the way they did today.

"Flub" as in producing an improved product with great functionality?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    just bought ipad 2 refurbished 16gb 3g att from apple

applecare yes no?

insurance for lost stolen, damaged??

your suggestions

thanks
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

insurance for lost stolen, damaged??

Just use Find My iPhone with iCloud when it comes out. You'll be able to find the thief via 3G and have cops swarm his location. You'll get the device back. And if he has damaged it, you'd get a new one or repairs.

That's a heck of a lot cooler than just having it stolen and having the insurance to replace it.

Friggin' SWAT team rappelling down from a helicopter, busts through his door; he's sitting there trying to crack the password you remotely put on it?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The new iPhone is pretty consistent with past update cycles. Well other than it was a bigger internal update than in the past.

That is the iPhone, iPad is a tablet and frankly a slab, what magic do you expect out of a slab? Even with a higher resolution screen it will stop look more or less like a slab. It is sort of like bacon, no two slices are the same yet they are all bacon. So no matter how Apple slices it you will still have a slab.

Now you may say it is what is inside that counts and you would be right. The problem is you can't recognize the major upgrade that is the 4S. The 4S isn't a flub it is a true advancement in cell phone capability.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post