Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 201 of 641
    Anyone seeing AT&T upgrade eligibility that bought the iPhone 4 at launch?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=133488
  • Reply 202 of 641
    wooliewoolie Posts: 34member
    Feel sorry for Cook... Having to keep a straight face during a non event... Stock is now down $60 from its high... Obviously a lot of insiders knew about this pathetic very late iPhone update...

Apple has fallen asleep... No one wonder they are suing Samsung... It's a diversion tactic...

Apple is unable compete anymore in the phone business...

Sad, sad, sad, I miss the days when they way in the lead... Now they are just followers, last place no less...
  • Reply 203 of 641
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

For iPhone 4 users that had no real antenna problems, almost all of what you quote that is better....was not broken. The iPhone 4 was fast enough. The camera worked fine for casual pictures etc.

Fazizle.

By that standard, your 1999 Motorola flip phone was good enough. After all, why improve something that's good enough?

Why should Apple be restricted to fixing things that are broken? Other than the case and screen, almost every item in this phone is significantly better than its predecessor.

Now, you might say "that's fine, but I don't need it" and there's nothing wrong with that. But this endless lambasting of Apple for significantly improving only 98 of the 100 components in the phone is absurd.
  • Reply 204 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

£500 pounds

Ouch. Hang on tight to that thing. Apple certainly doesn't expect anyone to do anything, they just make and upgrade phones and let the consumer make up their minds, just like car manufacturers do.

Me, I'm going to upgrade (from a broken 3GS) the day my contract is up in mid-November.
  • Reply 205 of 641
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richwl View Post

I can't believe that people are getting so emotional about this! It's a PHONE people! And it's nearly entirely new where it matters the most which is INSIDE. Why should Apple redesign the outside every time they upgrade the phone? They don't do that with their computers do they? I think that the problem is that they have moved so quickly on both fronts that people simply expect it to always be that way. It was inevitable that they would slow down on changing the form factor. I'm typing this on a late 2008 15" MacBook Pro. It looks virtually identical to a 2011 15" MacBook Pro. Big deal! It's funny because this makes me think of how people are with cars. They think a car is so different/better if the sheet metal gets changed significantly, but the internals are all the same as there previous model. Car companies take advantage of this all the time! Apple most likely feels that the current design of the iPhone 4 is good enough to stick with for another year. And you know what? They'll sell MILLIONS of them! So stop crying like a bunch of babies that just got their lollipops stolen. The iPhone 4S is a serious upgrade where it really counts and that's in performance!

It's a phone, it's already real time!!! What company convinced us all last year that a phones specs didn't matter, only the experience does? Apple!

I now fully understand why Steve left, Apple hit it's peak at 12:59 pm today.
  • Reply 206 of 641
    So will Siri not be available on iPhone 4 with this iOS update? That will really suck of not. Is there associated hardware?
  • Reply 207 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

All the whiners want to do is check boxes. They could care less if the sht works or not. OR how well it works. Or if it really matters. They just need to check each box so they can say they brag on the internets in 5 words or less.

Why are so many here so defensive? People wanted an iPhone 5 with a bigger screen and Apple had a big press event and didn't deliver. Why get upset that people are disappointed?

Saying Apple did something wrong is not the same as saying you hate Apple.
  • Reply 208 of 641
    I get the feeling Apple will still have the last laugh after all is said and done (and the wails of the whiners have died away at last).
  • Reply 209 of 641
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

BTW, I feel it necessary to point out that Apple never promised us anything. It was all the tech blogs and news outlets that hyped up a mythical iPhone 5. Apple didn't make those teardrop renderings after all. So really, Apple just did what they've done in the past, announced an incremental update. Was there this much whining and moaning when the 3GS was announced?

I agree. All the people that are disappointed and/or whining are the ones that believed the rumor mills. Hope that is lesson learned. Apple never promised anything. What they did do, is release a totally new phone, minus the case and screen and 30 pin dock connector.

So would everyone be more amazed if it was the same guts they just announced, but with a different case? If so, buy yourself a new 3rd party case. Done and Done.
  • Reply 210 of 641
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I like the performance boost, camera, hdmi out, and that's about it.

Good solid update to the iPhone.
  • Reply 211 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Apple had a big press event and didn't deliver.

Because too many people feel that "Apple didn't deliver" on something they never promised.
  • Reply 212 of 641
    guavaguava Posts: 13member
    Stock is almost back to par. Only $3.31 down now.
  • Reply 213 of 641
    One small cool thing for folks who want the 4 not the 4S - the 4 will also be available on Sprint.
  • Reply 214 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

And how well is the HTC selling?

By your "logic", McDonalds is a billion times better than Charlie Trotter's.

Your signature suits you well.
  • Reply 215 of 641
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woolie View Post

Feel sorry for Cook... Having to keep a straight face during a non event... Stock is now down $60 from its high... Obviously a lot of insiders knew about this pathetic very late iPhone update...

Apple has fallen asleep... No one wonder they are suing Samsung... It's a diversion tactic...

Apple is unable compete anymore in the phone business...

Sad, sad, sad, I miss the days when they way in the lead... Now they are just followers, last place no less...

LOL. The "insiders" will be cashing in on the idiots who drove that price drop (which was half general market direction anyways)....just watch where the stock is after Oct and Jan earnings calls.
  • Reply 216 of 641
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYitGuy View Post

Ouch. Hang on tight to that thing. Apple certainly doesn't expect anyone to do anything, they just make and upgrade phones and let the consumer make up their minds, just like car manufacturers do.

Me, I'm going to upgrade (from a broken 3GS) the day my contract is up in mid-November.

I was quite happy to spend 500 quid again this year for an iPhone 5 and pass on my iPhone 4 to my wife. There is no way I'm going to buy this 4S version. I'll have to wait until next year, thanks to Mr Cook
  • Reply 217 of 641
    someone explain why Siri wont be included for all ios devices running 5? seriously, what exactly is the hardware limitation that prevents it from running on the iphone 4? Android has voice capabilities on much slower devices with no problem.
  • Reply 218 of 641
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Amazing - you draw a line in the sand; Apple slams through it - and somehow you still turn that into a fail by Apple!

As for who wants 64GB - well, a lot of people - especially all those who were whining on here a few days ago about the iPod Classic going away...

You're going to need 64GB if you're going to be shooting a lot of 1080p video. Full HD Video will eat up your memory
  • Reply 219 of 641
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Apples defenders are claiming that this was strategic. It wasn't. They hardly sat down 16 months ( or just after the iPhone 4 was finished design - probably more than 24 months ago - and decided to do nothing for 24 months. They tried something, and it didn't work. Word on the street today was Antenna problems.

Whatever it was, it was not good.

They've shown their lack of enthusiasm with the smaller venue. They underwhelm themselves.
  • Reply 220 of 641
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Not sure what people are whining about. It's a decent update. The only thing missing is a larger display.