Should I upgrade to Lion?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am about to purchase a new MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installed and I was wondering if I should bother upgrading to OS X Lion. It has been getting loads of bad press and it is starting to put me off! Can you explain why and if you say yes then can you list the incentives.

If you have any ideas for good accessories or software for a MBP then please can you tell me on my other threads: Software thread Accessories thread

Thanks,

AppleLover123

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    "Loads of bad press"?!

Absolutely install it. Why should we list incentives when Apple has already done that for us?

Don't make duplicate threads.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover123 View Post

I am about to purchase a new MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installed and I was wondering if I should bother upgrading to OS X Lion. It has been getting loads of bad press and it is starting to put me off! Can you explain why and if you say yes then can you list the incentives.

If you have any ideas for good accessories or software for a MBP then please can you tell me on my other threads: Software thread Accessories thread

Thanks,

AppleLover123

Where are you getting a "new" Mac Book Pro that still has Leopard instead of Lion? All stores that Ive heard of have said they've upgraded their Macs to Lions, over a month ago.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Thanks,

AppleLover123

I have a new IMac. It came with Snow Leopard. The paperwork said there were 28 days to upgrade to Lion free, so I did. In the first release of Lion there were many problems described in the press and on Apple support forums. Most of the nasty ones were fixed with the 10.7.1 release and hopefully others will be fixed with 10.7.2.

I also have a MacBook Pro which I left on Snow Leopard. I decided to retain that and am vey glad I did. Many old versions of applications including Quicken and Office (admittedly several years old) and old but still played games will not work with Lion.

So my recommendation would be.

If you are replacing an old Mac with lots application software, think hard before upgrading to Lion.

If this is your first Mac, and you will be buying new application software then switch to Lion now.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i think lion is better in almost every way. if you have a new mac it should run smooth. i upgraded office and quicken and i think both upgrades are slightly improved.

lion tweaks 1.3 software fixes some things i didnt like on lion and is free. so someday you need to upgrade anyway. lion is not buggy at all in my usage. you can partition hard drive and put sl and lion on and boot either one if you dont want to commit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

I have a new IMac. It came with Snow Leopard. The paperwork said there were 28 days to upgrade to Lion free, so I did. In the first release of Lion there were many problems described in the press and on Apple support forums. Most of the nasty ones were fixed with the 10.7.1 release and hopefully others will be fixed with 10.7.2.

I also have a MacBook Pro which I left on Snow Leopard. I decided to retain that and am vey glad I did. Many old versions of applications including Quicken and Office (admittedly several years old) and old but still played games will not work with Lion.

So my recommendation would be.

If you are replacing an old Mac with lots application software, think hard before upgrading to Lion.

If this is your first Mac, and you will be buying new application software then switch to Lion now.

• Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

i think lion is better in almost every way. if you have a new mac it should run smooth. i upgraded office and quicken and i think both upgrades are slightly improved.

lion tweaks 1.3 software fixes some things i didnt like on lion and is free. so someday you need to upgrade anyway. lion is not buggy at all in my usage. you can partition hard drive and put sl and lion on and boot either one if you dont want to commit.

You are probably right.

The UI for Lion is definitely better than any other OS.

I will be upgrading to the new version of Office soon.

Not so sure about Quicken. I have 10+ years of accumulated data and don't want to compromise on it till I am sure.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:

I hate some of the usability changes (I listed more than 20 annoyances) and I still don't really like some of the things. That being said, give it some time and there will be solutions to your annoyances. Eventually you need to upgrade. Apple makes you. Life is evolution.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I am about to purchase a new MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installed

How is it new with Snow Leopard installed? Sounds fishy to me.

Quote:

and I was wondering if I should bother upgrading to OS X Lion. It has been getting loads of bad press and it is starting to put me off!

Never allow someone else's ignorance to make your decisions. Seriously the ball is in your court take charge. In another post you referenced Gizmodo, this really brings into question your ability to read for content and separate the wheat from the chafe. If Gizmodo has any influence upon your beliefs you really need to step back and ask why first.

Quote:

Can you explain why and if you say yes then can you list the incentives.

Apple has pages of info on why you might want to upgrade. The most important one though is that Lion is generally a big improvement.

Quote:

If you have any ideas for good accessories or software for a MBP then please can you tell me on my other threads: []

Nope can't do that! Not to be a pain but we need to know more about what you intend to do with the machine. Different strokes for different folks and all of that.

Quote:

Thanks,

AppleLover123

We really need more information about your usage here. Generally Lion has been very good and in my case no show stopping bugs. Like all upgrades nothing is perfect. I'd suggest more detail would help with answering your questions.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post

Where are you getting a "new" Mac Book Pro that still has Leopard instead of Lion? All stores that Ive heard of have said they've upgraded their Macs to Lions, over a month ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

How is it new with Snow Leopard installed? Sounds fishy to me.

I am buying my Macbook Pro from eBay, not from Apple. It is brand new but the eBay seller bought it from Apple before Lion was released so it still has Snow Leopard. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you to everybody who has replied so far. This has been very helpful. I think I'm going to upgrade to Lion as it seems the benefits outweigh the negatives.

If anyone has anything more to add feel free.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

I am buying my Macbook Pro from eBay, not from Apple. It is brand new but the eBay seller bought it from Apple before Lion was released so it still has Snow Leopard. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you to everybody who has replied so far. This has been very helpful. I think I'm going to upgrade to Lion as it seems the benefits outweigh the negatives.

If anyone has anything more to add feel free.

lol, I see what you mean now. I will just say you can compare my experience to what yours may be, as I'm also a new MAC user. I actually like Lion a lot. I didn't previously like the MAC OS, and although MAC is so different from I'm used to, with Windows OS, its actually been more of a pleasure than a pain, while I'm using it, learning to use it, and discovering different things.