Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 221 of 641
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woolie View Post

Feel sorry for Cook... Having to keep a straight face during a non event... Stock is now down $60 from its high... Obviously a lot of insiders knew about this pathetic very late iPhone update...

Apple has fallen asleep... No one wonder they are suing Samsung... It's a diversion tactic...

Apple is unable compete anymore in the phone business...

Sad, sad, sad, I miss the days when they way in the lead... Now they are just followers, last place no less...

Apple is 'unable to compete in the phone business' and 'in last place' , while having the best selling phone, by a massive margin, in the industry? Are you insane? Sure, I'm also disappointed we didn't get a new form factor and larger screen, but there's no point spouting factually untrue and sensationalistic statements with no basis in reality, as you just did. iOS5, iCloud, and Siri look amazing, and as far as I can tell more polished and better implemented than anything else in the industry. Whether you like it or no, Apple is still in the lead- by a wide margin.
  • Reply 222 of 641
    Quote:

Feel sorry for Cook... Having to keep a straight face during a non event... Stock is now down $60 from its high... Obviously a lot of insiders knew about this pathetic very late iPhone update...

Apple has fallen asleep... No one wonder they are suing Samsung... It's a diversion tactic...

Sad, sad, sad, I miss the days when they way in the lead... Now they are just followers, last place no less...

Forum members who make asinine comments like this should get drummed out of AI.
  • Reply 223 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

I can see that except the retina display and upgraded camera were not something I would have wanted to wait for.

I dont think I'm going to regret missing Siri for the next year as much as I would have those two features.

It wasn't an easy wait (at least at first). I used to be an early adopter, but now I would rather wait for the kinks to get worked out. I'm sure the iphone 5, whenever it comes out, will be tough to resist as well, but it would need to have some game changing features (other than a better screen and better camera) to get me to purchase the first iteration of the product. And by that I mean something that changes the way I interact with my phone - and by that I don't mean Siri, which I see as a gimmick. I'm talking about the ability to use it as an electronic form of currency or something.
  • Reply 223 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

It seems like you don't really understand how Apple works. They're going to keep things as simple as they can, and one of the main things they're going to avoid is fragmentation in the App Store. Screens with a different resolution are probably going to be avoided. They could potentially go smaller with half resolution (ala pre-'Retina' displays) though.

That you describe Google's domain as 'high-end' ground is a pretty clear tell on your position, though. Apple is competing in the 'high-end' ground and only the high-end ground. That some Android phones have bigger screens does not make them more 'high-end' than the iPhone. It just makes them a little nicer for tech folk who are more concerned with the size of their screen than general usability and portability (exempting folks with really fat fingers).

Apple is doing just fine with a single series of models.

Well said!
  • Reply 225 of 641
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    The reason I didn't sell off my iPhone 4 was because I was afraid that they would update the design and I love the design of the 4. I did not want a phone with a screen larger than 3.5" (I think the dimensions of the screen and phone are perfect).

Damn.
  • Reply 226 of 641
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

someone explain why Siri wont be included for all ios devices running 5?

BUY MORE IPHONES.

Quote:

seriously, what exactly is the hardware limitation that prevents it from running on the iphone 4?

There is none. They want you to buy a new device.
  • Reply 227 of 641
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYitGuy View Post

I get the feeling Apple will still have the last laugh after all is said and done (and the wails of the whiners have died away at last).

When the quarter report with this phone shows it to be the best selling phone ever, eclipsing the last iPhone, and the iOS side of Apple alone is the single most valuable company on earth, do you think any of these whiners will feel stupid about what they said or take it back?

Yeah, right.

It would be funny if it weren't so sad and predictable. We have been hearing this since the first iPod. "Non-event, doesn't matter, device X is way better, this thing will never sell, people will recall this as the first day of Apples downfall."

I don't even think most of these posts are typed. Pretty sure they are a form you just update a few terms in...
  • Reply 228 of 641
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Stock is down due to the upcoming Quarterly report and the concerns of Global Austerity. By the way the stock is back up to $372.50.

By the time the iPhone 4S, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, iOS 5 and the Quarterly Report comes out it will be well over $400.

Don't worry for Mr. Tim Cook. He's not.
  • Reply 229 of 641
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

someone explain why Siri wont be included for all ios devices running 5? seriously, what exactly is the hardware limitation that prevents it from running on the iphone 4? Android has voice capabilities on much slower devices with no problem.

there isn't really any limitation, it's just a trick used by Mr Cook to lure people into buying this damp squib of an upgrade
  • Reply 230 of 641
    Quote:

Apple is down about .57% right now. Compared to the NASDAQ they're down about 3.5% from where they roughly might have been if they simply followed the market today. Definitely some negative reaction from stockholders but not a whole lot (there was a decent buying opportunity there, though, barring unpredictable shifts in the market as a whole).

This is not a big deal.

As for your 'down $60' figure, you should probably strive to understand the stock market a little before you throw out knee-jerk comments like that about it. The whole stock market has been plunging to to economic concerns and Apple has been sliding down with it.
  • Reply 231 of 641
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

BTW, I feel it necessary to point out that Apple never promised us anything. It was all the tech blogs and news outlets that hyped up a mythical iPhone 5. Apple didn't make those teardrop renderings after all. So really, Apple just did what they've done in the past, announced an incremental update. Was there this much whining and moaning when the 3GS was announced?

Yes, there's this much whining and moaning after everything they announce. There was this much whining and moaning after the iPad 2, as a recent example.
  • Reply 232 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

By that standard, your 1999 Motorola flip phone was good enough. After all, why improve something that's good enough?

Why should Apple be restricted to fixing things that are broken? Other than the case and screen, almost every item in this phone is significantly better than its predecessor.

Now, you might say "that's fine, but I don't need it" and there's nothing wrong with that. But this endless lambasting of Apple for significantly improving only 98 of the 100 components in the phone is absurd.

+++ Very well said!

It must be sad for those persons who expect to get everything they want, when they want it and at low or no cost or inconvenience...

Seeking instant gratification -- yields constant dissatisfaction!
  • Reply 233 of 641
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Faster processor? I4 wasn't slow, useless

Faster data speeds? Yah because we all bit torrent on our phones, useless

New antenna? Wasn't ever a problem before so who faking cares

Greatly improved camera? It's a phone! And the camera was already great, fun maybe, useful, no.

Incredible voice recognition? That remains to be seen buddy

Improved software? Yes but all iPhones and iPads are getting that, invalid argument.

World phone capability? What your phone didnt work before? Seriously useless for 95% of people, maybe better for Apple and carriers.

Up to twice the storage capacity: 16 months for a chip they could have put in 16 months ago? So they arent holding back anymore, not exactly a positive note.

1) Yeah, a processor, GPU and its interconnects that can do more in less time is a good thing for many reasons. If you don't understand that then it would be pointless for me to explain.

2) You honestly don't how faster internet speeds could help with anything other than torrenting? Perhaps battery usage efficiency being able to use the cellular chips less often. Or perhaps being able to render webpages and data in apps faster, like streaming of video. You really think waiting is a good thing here?

3) It wasn't a problem, but neither was it a problem with any other iPhone before it. Apple makes their stuff better. Why does this seem so alien to you?

4) It's improved in several good ways according to event data. I'm not one to use a camera but I can certainly see why better quality photos, that are better stability and especially in low light settings are a good thing of those that use it.

5) It has been seen. What part of the Siri/Nuance Assistant do you think won't be as good as the voice recognition in iOS 4.x?

6) Again, why pooh-pooh improved software because Apple is offering it to other devices. I'm sure you'd complain if Apple oddly didn't give the iPhone 4S new SW features so why complain when they do. You should at least leave it as a null value.

7) For the most part you are right; this won't affect many users right away. This also could be the reason for this extra long delay since getting a world mode chip in a smartphone with this many bands has never before been done, especially in such a small smartphone. However, this does open the door for the US finally being to get legislation to get carriers to unlock devices after your contract is fulfilled. Why is that a bad thing?

8) Prove to me they could have put these 64GB chips in the number of iPhones sold in the last 16 months. What were the yields of these chips then compared to the assumed upper-tier iPhone 4 sales? What were its cost per unit? How much power did they use? How fast were the chips? How was the reliability of these chips? Last I had read a year ago was they weren't as fast and had a significantly lower number of read/write sessions that made them unlikely to find their way into the iPhone until 2011. Reading about a new tech on Engadget doesn't mean it's ready for mass production in the most popular devices on the planet.

Quote:

Everything is new except the case...

If you have a 40" Sony TV and sony releases a new 40" Tv with a faster processors, faster wireless speeds, improved cabling, voice-enabled features with slightly better UI that should have been that way from the start, are you going to upgrade? F*ck no. It's still just a 40" tv

Had the same TV, same stereo system, but got the newest AppleTV and new TiVo HD. Made the experience considerably better because core devices made accessing my media better, faster and more enjoyable. Buying a new TV just because the black plastic border is a little difference would not have made a difference.
  • Reply 234 of 641
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

When the quarter report with this phone shows it to be the best selling phone ever, eclipsing the last iPhone, and the iOS side of Apple alone is the single most valuable company on earth, do you think any of these whiners will feel stupid about what they said or take it back?

Yeah, right.

It would be funny if it weren't so sad and predictable. We have been hearing this since the first iPod. "Non-event, doesn't matter, device X is way better, this thing will never sell, people will recall this as the first day of Apples downfall."

I don't even think most of these posts are typed. Pretty sure they are a form you just update a few terms in...

This isn't comparable to the iPod. It's not revolutionary.

Fact is until the last week, or so, no one expected apple to release an update with the same form factor.
  • Reply 235 of 641
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You can pick up reading glasses at Walmart for $10.

Apple isn't responsible for your vision problems.

Apple isn't "responsible" for anyone's "problems", but we are talking about a device requiring using one's eyes, often quickly/on-the-fly. If you don't like the phone, don't buy it, and theoretically then it becomes Apple's problem if enough people don't buy the phone because of their "vision problem". True, reading glasses are cheap and easy to come by, but it's also true that just about everyone over 45 years old needs them, and is annoyed at having to put them on just to use their smartphone to send a text message. I just got my first pair of reading glasses, after 49 years of perfect vision, and I'm on the very tail end of the baby boom generation (= biggest market in the U.S.) and a smart smartphone maker would do well to cater to this market to some extent at least. Plus peasant-hands fingers have made the fairly narrow iPhone screen not much fun. Slightly bigger screen woulda been nice, but all the comments here about how it's a great internals upgrade are spot on; I'll be buying.
  • Reply 236 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

1.5 years ago? which carriers had that service? i bet most of times it would just be in 3g speed.

Sprint 4G coverage expanding alongside release of EVO 4G:

- 06 May 2010

http://www.neowin.net/news/sprint-4g...ease-of-evo-4g

The 4G coverage perhaps was initially small, but that time HTC released the future proof phone, not the obsolete one. Here we are: 1.5 years later Apple finally matching the specs (partially).

Meanwhile HTC and Samsung are not sleeping: Super AMOLED HD screens with a resolution of 1280x1024, 1.5-2.0GHz dual-quad core, LTE. And they offer any screen size you wish: 3.5"-4.0"-4.3"-4.5"-4.7"-5.3"

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/09/16/s...etails-emerge/
  • Reply 237 of 641
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Siri? Are u frkn Siri- ous?

16 months for something no one wanted or needs? If the screen were larger you wouldn't need a fembot to spell things out to you anyway!

And this should once and for all end any speculation that the iPhone's 4 antenna is in fact flawed. If it were fine Apple would have left it alone.
  • Reply 238 of 641
    Well, not sure how I feel...frankly a little numb.

I suppose she has a new artificial heart. A new glass eye and a bionic hip but the ol' girls body is still showing her age! I'm waiting for a complete transplant.
  • Reply 239 of 641
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

I wonder how Siri works outdoors in NYC? Good luck with that one.

Whatever happened to the digital"wallet" chip? I'd rather have that then some fembot answering questions- I'm not that lonely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

NO NFC? NO WALLET? NO TURN-BY-TURN?

WTF!

In other news, the Android platform triples it's lead over iOS...

I think NFC will be saved till next year. And that's a smart move. Google is doing a lot of heavy lifiting now, working with the credit card companies, banks, phone makers to get NFC infrastrcuture. When Apple launches it next year, there will be lots of places a digital wallet can be used.

Next year: LTE/WiMax and NFC

As for turn-by-turn, I doubt it. Apple can't be bothered when there are navigation apps for sale in the App Store.
  • Reply 240 of 641
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

No, you're going to keep your phone. It's all the new folks who will sign new contracts that will take up the iPhone 4S. They expect you to upgrade next year for the iPhone 5.

I'm an Android user and I think this is a good and worthwhile update. Some people just expect too much. I use voice commands and voice dictation on my handset all the time. It's a more useful update than some of you realize. And the new camera? All I can say is wow. If point and shoots weren't dead before, they will be now.

The biggest innovation I see from this announcement though is the marketshare grab of making the iPhone 3GS free. That will help a lot of carriers to convert their pre-paid clients into post-paid clients. That might be huge.

Where do you live, the 3GS has been free on contract in Canada for a long time now. IPhone 4 has been at 99$ on contract for a month or so now. So pricing remains the same, phone is all iOS5, which we already knew all about.

Now we know why Apple chose a small venue.

I personally would have bought an updated exterior with the same or similar components. I mean, dual core in a phone, what the heck are people doing with their phones? We learned 5 years ago that any PC does the internet and email just fine, hence now we have tablets, why are they boosting the internals on frickin' phones?

Imagine if they could have slimmed down the size, gotten rid of the easily breakable glass back, increased the battery life and given it a nice new iPad like look.

Te big problem is that now, next year we're going to get our new iPad like iPhone but it will have come out more than year after the actual iPad 2 form factor was around, it will be JUST as disappointing then.

I mean, you'd think their marketing groups could have told them that no one gives a rats ass about 3 more megapixels, faster, faster what?, and, well that's it, the rest is software and is being given away for free to everyone, including those that don't have the iPhone 4s.

Now, Siri for Mac? Why don't we already have that?