iPhone 4 drops to $99 while Apple makes iPhone 3GS free with contract

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

My 3GS has been laggy, even sleepy, with the recent iOS updates. I couldn't imagine running iOS5 on a 3GS.

Yeah. Both of my iPhone 3GS perform terribly under iOS 4 to the point where I feel like throwing them off a cliff at times.

Come Friday morning, I will preorder a couple of iPhone 4S'. A larger display would have been nice, but at least the tech specs are closer parity to Android phones.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Naive and gullible people are more likely to be disappointed than informed, intelligent people.

It is now officially October, and we can finally put to rest those idiotic September iPad 3 rumors. I mentioned many months ago that I was going to mock these fools after September passed, and here we are, it's October, and here I am, officially mocking these naive fools. Anybody who claims to know anything about Apple knew that it was a braindead rumor, started by dumb people and it was believed by even dumber people. These people should now crawl back under their ignorant rocks and admit to being totally wrong and clueless about Apple.

As for the new iPhone, it's going to sell alright, I'm not doubting that, but in today's society, where everything is superficial, some people are simply fashion whores and it's more important to these types of people that the design of a new phone looks different instead of what's actually on the inside of it. I suggest that these sorts of people go out and buy a 5" + Android phone, and even better, go join an Android forum.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Yeah. Both of my iPhone 3GS perform terribly under iOS 4 to the point where I feel like throwing them off a cliff at times.

Come Friday morning, I will preorder a couple of iPhone 4S'. A larger display would have been nice, but at least the tech specs are closer parity to Android phones.

my wife uses her 3GS with no problems. She's very picky about things, but she hasn't complained anything of her 3GS except for quickly diminishing battery life.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    I may have missed it, does the new version of the iPhone 4 8gb stick with the current A4 single core processor or does it also get the new A5 dual core thats going in the 4s?
  • Reply 25 of 42
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

One of the biggest performance killers I've found is having too many apps running at the same time. Usually if I go through and force quit all of the apps except the one I need at a particular time, things get much faster.

This is actually my biggest beef with iOS - having to manually manage apps this way. They need to make this happen automatically somehow IMO.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Z06jerry View Post

I may have missed it, does the new version of the iPhone 4 8gb stick with the current A4 single core processor or does it also get the new A5 dual core thats going in the 4s?

Just A4. Otherwise, they would call it 4s.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    The problem with a free 3GS is that you'll still be paying for the same ultra-premium data/voice plans. It's still 3G, sure, but its nowhere near the high end phones of today that justify crazy two year contracts. You'll save in short term, but it's hardly worth it overall. If you don't care enough about top of the line features, probably better to get a midrange android phone or a dumbphone with cheaper plans.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Z06jerry View Post

Same CPU/GPU, RAM, antenna, display - just dropped it to 8GB storage as the only option.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

iPhone 3GS has been free with contract for a good couple of years now.

Not in the US, among other places. Not it is cheap enough to encourage or even demand that everyone make it free (or rather or just the sales tax) for everyone with a contract. And perhaps it will be low enough off contract to make it a viable prepaid phone option if the carriers want to support that

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hamlinator View Post

By keeping the 3GS around, Apple is just acknowledging that the 4S is not the advance that everyone expected

Hardly.

They are keeping the 3gs around because they know that not enough was swayed by the smart phone game to pay anything more than sales tax for a phone because they felt they didn't need that much. Or they wanted to be on pre-paid rather than a contract.

a 'free' 3gs is a good gateway device for such people. Once you get them using any iPhone it is easier to sway them into getting the even better one next time.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Same CPU/GPU, RAM, antenna, display - just dropped it to 8GB storage as the only option.

That 8GB iPhone 4 will be at 549.00 unlocked at october 14th.. I think the last version was a 16GB iPhone4 for 649.00..

Still not bad in my opinion.

Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free

Unlocked

$549.00

Delivers on October 14th

The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 4 will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

Learn more about the unlocked iPhone 4
  • Reply 31 of 42
    From what I've seen thus far, the iPhone 4S provides everything I hoped for, except a larger RAM. With the size of some of these apps, I was hoping to see that spec grow. I will be ordering my new iPhone 4S 64GB this Friday. My current iPhone 4 is going up on eBay this week. With Siri, iOS 5, superior camera, faster operation, Airplay, and iCloud, this will be a completely new experience! Can't wait!
  • Reply 32 of 42
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geneking7320 View Post

I have an iPhone 3GS with AT&T and my contract will be up January 2012 [around Dr.King's Birthday]. If you were in my shoes would you:

1. upgrade to an iPhone 4GS

2. hold on and wait for an iPhone 5 [assuming it shows up sometime in 2012]

3. do something else

I like my iPhone although sometimes the AT&T dropouts get on my nerves!

I would see how Sprint fares with the iPhone when your policy expires. Then I would upgrade to 4Gs unless you are willing to wait until Oct 2012
  • Reply 33 of 42
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Can the 3GS run Siri? Survey says: No. Not to viable unless you want to make calls and send texts. They keep them around because they have them in the inventory and after a few months they will quietly disappear....

It ran as an app on the 3GS.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Now the Fandroids have no excuses left.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Can the 3GS run Siri? Survey says: No. Not to viable unless you want to make calls and send texts. They keep them around because they have them in the inventory and after a few months they will quietly disappear....

You are a bit out of touch with the average (that's the market) cell phone user. We use cell phones to make phone calls and send texts. The rest is icing on the cake and my 3G serves me just fine.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    My question is whether iPhone 4 8GB model for $99 will be available on Sprint? I'm guessing not, but does anyone have official information? Thanks in advance
  • Reply 37 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

My question is whether iPhone 4 8GB model for $99 will be available on Sprint? I'm guessing not, but does anyone have official information? Thanks in advance

Well, since the only iPhone 4 available is the 8GB one and they've said the iPhone 4 is coming to Sprint… \

You can see it right on the website.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

There are only 2 things that the iPhone 4S does not have that an iPhone 5 could have had:

1) Larger screen

2) NFC

Like another poster said:

3) LTE (actually, I'd delete your #2 NFC and make LTE #2)

A larger screen means a larger case (duh) and room for a larger battery which you'd need not only for the larger screen but also for the LTE which isn't as power efficient. Also, to make a phone which can fall back to older standards (ie, CDMA) you'll need to keep all of those antennas, too. So bigger case makes room for more antennas.

Here's my theory as to what happened today... Apple needed to get off it's once a year iPhone upgrade event cycle. Technology and marketing by the competition moves too fast to wait a year to get back in the limelight. So spread out two events per year. You can't keep the June event because that means the other event would be too close to Christmas. So Spring and Fall it is. Earlier this year they had the release of the Verizon iPhone (sorry, no Spring event for the rest of the world). Then bite the bullet and hold out until Fall, skipping June.

LTE isn't quite ready yet, so let's get something new in the pipeline for the Holiday Season. This means cheap options (free 3GS, cheap 4, etc) for gift giving and the 4S because the 4 was getting too outdated. Then in the Spring release the "power user's" iPhone 5. Bigger screen and LTE. I see this trend continuing for the next several years. Smaller screen phone for the Fall/Holiday release and the power user phone in the Spring.

Apple needs to diversify their offerings. The current one-size-fits-all model they've following up until now is self-limiting. Eventually they need to branch out and offer more choices.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I predicted the iPhone 3GS would live on as the entry level model last week and was shot down with cries of the "the 3GS is dead". 25 years experience in the IT industry does have some advantages.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I predicted the iPhone 3GS would live on as the entry level model last week and was shot down with cries of the "the 3GS is dead". 25 years experience in the IT industry does have some advantages.

IDK if the iPhone 4S is going to be enough of an upgrade to tempt current iPhone 4 owners.

I can tell you that I can't ditch my laggy, sleepy, sometimes-responsive-sometimes-not 3GS (with iOS 4.x) fast enough.

I think it's a strategic mistake to sell an iPhone model that isn't teh snappies to new customers, as that's been one of the differentiating factors between an iPhone and many Android phones (my work Sprint EVO as an example).