Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 281 of 641
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    At least the hardware that makes it a phone is all new. I suspect that when people actually handle this device they will find that it is an excellent update.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

You can't refresh the design of the hardware every year and make money! They added more functionality inside and beefed it up quite a bit. Actually, I think it's a good refresh. Faster CPU and graphics, better camera, antenna, more networks allowed, global. Very nice adds!!!

• Reply 281 of 641
    Actually, you can't compare 3g-3gs evolution with 4g-4gs. Let me explain you why

Both these iphones had speed upgrade. But in 3gs you could actually "fell the difference" - tons of new improved games and apps.

But this dual core cpu is worthless. For more than a year of ip4 run we saw only few games/apps, which could show us "magic" of a4 cpu. a5 maybe good for infinity blade 2, but this is a) the only game for next six-seven moths which will use full potential of dualcore b) very stupid and boring game. I've bought it once to see graphics, but now I don't need some minor shadow/light improvements.

There is no possibility to use these speed on iphone. Such speed requires bigger screen and better inputs (aka mouse or keyboard).

Antenna? I really dont want to disappoint anyone, but 90% of speed depends on your carrier, network load and other factors. You could attach satellite dish to iphone, but you will still be in limits of average (NOT THEORETICAL) speed.

The only real improvement - is camera, but still smartphone is not a camera even with 10Mp

Voice-control-thing is funny, but in real life nothing more than "Oh, look what my iphone can do"

That is why this presentation is sad
  • Reply 283 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I'm surprised at the reactions too. Why don't people realize that generally most Americans are locked into two year contracts. Why would Apple try and sell you a new phone every year if that is the case? DUH

New Camera, chip, etc etc.... everything but the body is new and SIRI looks amazing. Anyone who says "my droid had it first" is not understanding the depth of voice commands in SIRI. It's bordering on AI, not simple voice recognition.

Relax people. Don't cry all you who have 4's are generally supposed to upgrade to 5's next year anyway.

Why I'm getting a 4S:

• Reply 284 of 641
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    He may not know what to call it. But the difference absolutely is there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post

The best example we have of this is the iPad to iPad 2. After all, that is an A4 to A5 comparison. My dad had an iPad 1 and then bought an iPad 2. I asked him if he noticed any differences between them. He said he loved how the 2 was a lot thinner. When I asked about speed, he said, "Speed?". (And the iPad 2 had more RAM as well.)

• Reply 285 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

vlingo and google's recognition work on lowend Androids.

This artificial intelligence thing... I have a feeling it would be sweet if it worked, but I just somehow doubt Apple has replicated IBM's Watson for iOS. With this type of thing it's either awesome or a useless gimmick and toy.

Have you watched the SIRI demo? It DOES look awesome and it is definitely NOT the same thing as Android's VR. What can't you see or what do you see that isn't "awesome"? Apple is not about false advertising. In fact they generally pretty reserved with their promises.
  • Reply 286 of 641
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

No, but how long did we wait for those?

Roughly a year if I recall. So this time around, they broke from the June/July time-frame and are releasing 4 months later. Still, Apple didn't go around teasing an iPhone 5 with a complete redesign. They were as tight-lipped as always and it was the tech blogs that hyped this up. We, of course, ate it up and you have what we see here today...some disappointed people. I agree with another poster who commented that had it been the same exact internals and specs but with a totally redesigned exterior, there wouldn't be all this hemming and hawing.
  • Reply 287 of 641
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why I'm getting a 4S:

Ditto
  • Reply 288 of 641
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You obviously are not a software developer. You need to talk to one before making such statements.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delToros View Post

But this dual core cpu is worthless. For more than a year of ip4 run we saw only few games/apps, which could show us "magic" of a4 cpu. a5 maybe good for infinity blade 2, but this is a) the only game for next six-seven moths which will use full potential of dualcore b) very stupid and boring game. I've bought it once to see graphics, but now I don't need some minor shadow/light improvements.

There is no possibility to use these speed on iphone. Such speed requires bigger screen and better inputs (aka mouse or keyboard).

• Reply 289 of 641
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

Totally false. Only a portion of the narrow slice of the market which obsesses over these announcements (AI users) actually "expected" Apple to have a new form factor, based on assumptions and rumors only. Many of us were hoping but there was no reason whatsoever to "expect" Apple would do anything other than what they assessed was the best thing they could do at this moment. Which pretty much describes Apple's behavior in the last 10 years.

Nonsense. A good 50% of the tweets in my twitter feed and Facebook wall, most from non techie iPhone users expressed disappointment.

Here is the FT: investors disappointed in Apple.

http://t.co/XtQ7Cj6D

Also they probably wanted to produce an iPhone 5 this year. Otherwise why wait? This is a cockup not a strategic move.
  • Reply 290 of 641
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Wow, how many years on these boards now.

Apple announces something new. People come on and say they are underwhelmed - or some remark about how the competition has something better. Only for Apple to blow the competition away and change the way the competition manufactures their products.

Do you people ever get tired of being wrong?

Well, realistically, 90+% of the people complaining are Apple haters and fandroids who were just waiting for AI to post the article so they could start their nonsensical trash-talk. The rest criticizing the 4S don't really understand what they are talking about; as pointed out numerous times in this thread, everything is new but the case and screen, and those are both still the best available by a long shot.
  • Reply 291 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suddenly newton View Post

why i'm getting a 4s:

rofl #1 "A keyboard... How quaint."
  • Reply 292 of 641
    guavaguava Posts: 13member
    Latest rumour:

iPhone 5 coming in October 2012

4.5 inch screen

Thinner body

Teardrop shape

Aluminum unibody

A6 processor

iOS6

Siri II (really works now)
  • Reply 293 of 641
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    So now I'm reading no SIRI for iPad2??? Only for iPhone 4S???
  • Reply 294 of 641
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrMan365 View Post

People like you with low expectations are easily pleased. What's wrong with expecting better things.

I'm disappointed. I wanted to upgrade my iPhone 4 to something better. I see myself eyeing up a windows phone and tablet now...

Apple have become lazy. But perhaps they have had their time now. They have had a good 10year run. Before was the underdog. But I See other companies in the pipeline to take the crown by innovating new products and apple are making it easy for them.

That's it, I want a new gadget and apple have denied me that gift to myself so I'm going elsewhere.

"Shake it off. Stop complainin'. Stop grumblin'. Stop cryin'. We are going to press on. We have work to do." - BHO

Where were all of you when the iMac refresh was announced? Sure larger screen but same boring color scheme of silver and black and same aluminum and glass crap! Apple you ARE getting lazy! How many more iMacs do we have to endure of this tired design? You do know sarcasm when you read it don't you?

/

/

/
  • Reply 295 of 641
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

Give me a break. The processing power needed to run Siri is only available on A5 devices like the new phone and the iPad 2.

I doubt this. Android has similar voice actions on phones with much older hardware and less processing power.

Quote:

The same sorts of limitations on software existed for users of the original iPhone.

Voice commands just aren't as demanding as say multi-tasking.

Quote:

I think people who are disappointed in this new phone are crazy. For me, this will be as important a jump in performance as the original iPhone to the iPhone 3GS was (I skipped the iPhone 3G).

From an iPhone 4? I don't think so. From a 3GS to a 4S? Yes.

Quote:

I think the biggest unknown is Siri. I was less than impressed with it as a stand alone app. If Apple can duplicate the user experience seen in the video or the demo today this will be huge for a lot of users.

It's sad that Apple is now using specific software to sell different versions of hardware. iPhone 4 owners should get Siri because their phones can run it. Heck, the 3GS would be able to run Siri. It should have been a part of iOS5, not some stand alone feature on the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 296 of 641
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Apple designs, and the iPhone in particular, are so refined and elegant that it leaves nowhere to go without destroying it. It's like Detroit carmakers who would once in a while come up with an iconic design, but the pressures of the marketplace required them to "update" that design for several years. They would destroy its integrity by adding fins, chrome, and other crap in the name of "new."

The next design of the iPhone will have to be something completely new, and the current classically simple design is so pleasing that there is no reason to supersede it, yet. It has taken today's aesthetic to the max. In a way it's like we have to wait for our culture to evolve a bit further before we can come up with something as iconic to harmonize with it.

Pity Apple's competitors who have nothing visual to copy for the next year. They'll just have to keep adding buttons and silly shapes to give the illusion of design innovation.

This is very similar to the iPad to IPad 2 transition. Techies disappointed. Market reacted positively. Its a winning proven story for Apple. iPhone 4S will sell very well. no doubt. I think I am seeing a pattern with iOS devices.
  • Reply 297 of 641
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Considering I'm on Sprint and still use a LG Lotus, I'm completely happy w/today's announcements. Now to get my mom on an iPhone. My daughters will be Facetiming w/gramma any chance they can get
  • Reply 298 of 641
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

iPhone 4S = iPhone 5 with the name "4S" instead of "5"

It would have the same internals - don't deny it.

Yup.

Quote:

Why is everyone bitching in here?

It's always like this after an Apple press event. Always. The post-event bitching is part of the tradition.

Quote:

Its a good phone - the only thing I see missing from the rumoured 5 is the larger display and, to be honest, the iPhone already has a fantastic display (probably the best on the market), so I'm more than happy to give up the larger display panel to keep the high DPi count and not have apps break for one reason or another.

It's not just a good phone. It's the all-around best phone on the market. A lot of people need the iPhone to out-spec Android phones because that's generally the way nerds talk and value things. So, LTE, Wimax service is a key talking point even though it is not available to most of the people in the USA and not available to the vast majority of the people around the world. Apple will get here with this. If people can't wait, they should switch to an LTE/Wimax phone now. Maybe Apple will convince them the next go around.

Likewise, screen size is one of the things Apple will not chase Android on as they value the handling qualities (one-handed use, pocket-ability) of their devices (no more than 2.4" wide and 4.5" tall) more than screen size. I don't think they'll ever go bigger here. Maybe 4" if the fabled edge-to-edge screen tech proves real, but I think they really want to maintain 2.4 x 4.4 planform dimensions. 10 years of iPod experience there.

Quote:

The 64GB storage, the 1080p video recording, higher quality photographs with faster shutter, far better graphics capabilities, improved antenna design - I'm pre ordering one!

7x GPU! It's the fastest GPU on the market. And if it has 1 GB RAM combined with a dual-core A9, it'll make all of the software faster. The 64 GB is mine. So more videos, more music, more apps, and the apps will run smoother. That's awesome. And if the image stabilization is any good, awesome.
  • Reply 299 of 641
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

He may not know what to call it. But the difference absolutely is there.

There sure is a difference. Just look at some of the apps and games coming out that need the power of the A5 chip on the iPad 2.

The same thing is going to happen with the iPhone. There will be certain new games and apps that will be optimized for the A5 chip in the new iPhone and people stuck with older iPhones will be shit out of luck.
  • Reply 300 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

In a way it's like we have to wait for our culture to evolve a bit further before we can come up with something as iconic to harmonize with it.

I like the way you think.