Apple releases golden master build of iOS 5 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday issued the golden master build of iOS 5, the next-generation operating system for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, to members of its development community, along with a new build of Mac OS X 10.7.2 [updated].

People familiar with the latest build of iOS 5 said is known as 9A334. It is said to be labeled as a GM, or golden master, seed, which means that it is likely to be identical to the final version of the software Apple will release to the public.

Those people said there are a handful of fixes contained in the golden master build. For example, the GM build of iOS 5 reportedly fixes an issue that existed when deleting a song or video from the Music and Videos applications on an iOS device, causing it to crash.

Developers are also notified that starting with iOS 5, AirPlay is enabled by default for video content available on applications and websites. Those with access to the golden master have also been advised that the WebKit framework in the latest build more closely matches the engine used in Apple's Safari 5.1 desktop Web browser.

iOS 5 will be released to the public next Wednesday, Oct. 12. It will be compatible with the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, first-generation iPad, fourth-generation iPod touch, and third-generation iPod touch.

Update: Also released by Apple Wednesday was a new build of Mac OS X 10.7.2, known as Build 11C73. It is said to not contain any known issues. The forthcoming update to Lion will add support for iCloud.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member
    What about that antennae doing dual work at the same time. Does that mean VZ and Sprint customers can now talk and surf at the same time?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Hmmm, it says you must be using beta 7 to update.......but I am guessing beta 9 would be fine since you can't uninstall iTunes from Lion.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

What about that antennae doing dual work at the same time. Does that mean VZ and Sprint customers can now talk and surf at the same time?

No, that's a limitation of their networks, not iPhone antennas. If you're on wi-fi...yes you can use it of course.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

Only if they are talking to someone who's in the same room.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Reckon on the 12th they'll drop the AppleTV code as well.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Hope we see iMessage integration in iChat in this update!
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Had the same thought myself but figured it won't be possible due to the network - unless there would be some way to force the phone into roaming on AT&T's network. Won't work for me as AT&T doesn't have good coverage where I live.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    so does 10.7.2 hold the fix for TimeMachine??? i hope... \

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15662400#15662400
  • Reply 9 of 24
    No find my friends app in this IOS 5 GM , Guess it will be an app in app store at launch??
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Is the IOS 5 GM a delta update to existing Developers using the Software Update or do you have to download it from the Apple Developer website?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by colind View Post

Is the IOS 5 GM a delta update to existing Developers using the Software Update or do you have to download it from the Apple Developer website?

Developer site.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    rtkanertkane Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Doesn't appear to be a delta update, unless they haven't loaded it up to the software update servers yet. Maybe it will be later? Checked on both iPhone 4 and iPad 2.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Hope we see iMessage integration in iChat in this update!

Uh, what? This is iOS 5. Messages already includes iMessage, SMS, MMS, and whatever else.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Ok, I need to work out how to log a bug because we've got all the way to the gold master and on my iPad 2 (3G) I still can't see Lyrics in songs and in Podcasts and Audiobooks I can't skip back 30 seconds. I'm going to probably have to use a dedicated Audiobook App. Thanks Apple /s
  • Reply 15 of 24
    The build number in the AI article states that GM is 9A334, beta 7 was 9A5313. Anyone confirm the correct GM build number?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, what? This is iOS 5. Messages already includes iMessage, SMS, MMS, and whatever else.

the AI article also included information about 10.7.2 - probably why iChat was being remarked about.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandor View Post

the AI article also included information about 10.7.2 - probably why iChat was being remarked about.

That's what I figured.

Oh, was it early betas of 10.7.2 in which we saw references to a desktop iMessage system, or was that somewhere else?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

You have to downloaded from the developers site. It is also highly recommended to do a restore not upgrade.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Ok, I need to work out how to log a bug because we've got all the way to the gold master and on my iPad 2 (3G) I still can't see Lyrics in songs and in Podcasts and Audiobooks I can't skip back 30 seconds. I'm going to probably have to use a dedicated Audiobook App. Thanks Apple /s

You're right! I had to look because I didn't remember ever checking that. Strange that they would take that out...
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

the build number in the ai article states that gm is 9a334, beta 7 was 9a5313. Anyone confirm the correct gm build number?

9a334

at&t 11.0