Apple adds white iPod touch, drops price of 8GB model to $199

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Its called forward progress Skil. The ipod touch is morr thsn just a portablr music player. The nano, shuffle and classic are. The ipod touch is an iOS device. And as such deserves a better camera. People are using the ipod touch for more than music. It is fast becoming a VOIP alternative to the iphone for those who travel alot or who dont want to get locked into a long contract. Taking and sending picutres and videos is just as important to this large group of people than to iphone users.

Your point about VOIP is a good point, and not one that At&T, Verizon and now Sprint want any consumer considering. Steve Jobs was open enough to call it an iPhone without the phone, but his successors might not want you to call it that. They want you to plunge into the full blown iPhone and all the extra expense that incurs.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because you can.

Yes, you're right. I can indeed but I am not sure what they mean with ?

"still photos (960 by 720) with back camera"

How many megapixels is that? It clearly is not in the same league as the iPhone 4Gs?
  • Reply 23 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

It clearly is not in the same league as the iPhone 4Gs?

No, of course not. It isn't meant to be.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    actually it is very interesting question

Ipod touch always was an iphone without calls. I can see logic in that. You need ta talk and use all features of ios - thats an iphone. You dont need to make calls - you get touch

Touch is multimedia player and game console.

What is the point of this device when you can buy new improved iphone (after all it is not bad phone)?

What is the point of this device if it cant support latest games (like infinity blade 2)???

Why not make 4inch touch with all-new cpu and ram and make it real pain in the ass for psp??

Why not make at least a better camera?? They add useless camera on nano once..

Why not make 128Gb??? And make classic go away (actually i like classic more, but at least I can see logic)

Why not make at least bigger battery??? ANd so on

There are tons of min-improvements that could make ipod touch look better and "younger"..
  • Reply 25 of 36
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Yes, you're right. I can indeed but I am not sure what they mean with ?

"still photos (960 by 720) with back camera"

How many megapixels is that? It clearly is not in the same league as the iPhone 4Gs?

That would be less than 1 megapixel (about .7 megapixel). The problem used to be that the Touch is so thin you couldn't find a decent camera sensor that would fit. I don't know if that's still an issue.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Hmmm weird how they don't say why processor they use on the website... No mention at all
  • Reply 27 of 36
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    The touch is mainly used to play games, no upgrade to A5 = major fail. WTF are they doing at Apple, did they stop working because SF is not there?
  • Reply 28 of 36
    What about Facetime? Remember that? Until today Facetime was the premier feature on the iPod Touch home page. With crappy cameras Facetime isn't that great. What about that text message thing in iOS? It wasn't mentioned in the stream of the AI reporting. Is it still a big feature?

When douche bags like TallestSkil and Flaneur put down people for their opinions, they're forgetting about some of the things Apple promoted in the past. As was written before, the older version of iPod Nano had good camera and video features. If something that good can be put in a Nano, why won't Apple put it in the much higher priced Touch?

Larger drives are available now so there is no reason Apple can't put one in the Touch.

These features might cause one to say they cost more and Apple won't make as big of a profit. I say if I refuse to buy outdated products, Apple makes no profit from me.

Apple wasn't giving in to the telecoms in the past but I suspect something has changed. They seem to have stopped promoting WiFi connectivity.

Should I buy something from somebody else? If there were another company making such a music player that also had other great features I would. The thing is that Apple in the past was doing a great job of regularly updating their iPods. So when this year came along and we got "White" as a color choice, excuse me for being very disappointed. Apple has fumbled and I do believe that this is a very bad business decision.

Cowan makes similar devices but they are crappy. I've got a lot of thinking to do about this. I might end up getting a Nook from Barns & Noble and putting Android on it. With that I'll then get a separate music player. I'm not going to make any purchases until the Christmas season. Most of the other updated tech stuff will be out by then. It will be easier to make a decision when I know what's out there.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What about that text message thing in iOS? It wasn't mentioned in the stream of the AI reporting. Is it still a big feature?

Try looking for yourself. It's right on the first page, for heaven's sake.

Quote:

the older version of iPod Nano had good camera and video features.

It had no camera. It was only a camcorder.

Quote:

If something that good can be put in a Nano, why won't Apple put it in the much higher priced Touch?

Because the cameras already in the iPod touch are better than the camcorder in the old iPod nano. The front camera is the exact same quality. The back camera is higher.

Quote:

Larger drives are available now so there is no reason Apple can't put one in the Touch.

Implying existence is the only requirement for inclusion.

Quote:

They seem to have stopped promoting WiFi connectivity.

Are we still talking about the iPod touch?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    The bottom line is that this was NOT an update. Nothing was changed except that you now have a choice of a white ipod. And that it will come with iOS 5 installed. Oh...and the $30 price drop in the 8 gig version. Personally i think they should have just dropped the 8 gig and made the bottom one 16 gig.

This is not typical Apple fanboy complaining about nothing. People have a reason to be let down a bit. I don't think anyone was expecting a radical redesign, but SOMETHING. After a year since the last one...NOTHING was changed. I am sorry, but a white ipod touch is not an update by any stretch of the imagination.

And you may not use the ipod to take pictures, but ALOT of people do...and I am sorry...but the HALF mega pixel camera was lame last year....and its even more lame now.

I love Apple. Been using Apple products way before it was "cool" to be an Apple head. Before Apple stores even existed. When you were laughed at by the pc geeks behind the counter at COMPUSA when you asked where the apple section was. Lol. So dont tell me to just buy something else.

People have a right to vent a little after waiting a year for such a lame update. :-p
  • Reply 31 of 36
    The only advantage is the exchange rate was a little nicer in my favor after this update. Sme thing, but slightly cheaper. Still annoys me that it's pimped as a games machine, then it's hobbled with the old processor. I am guessing tht means support for the older generation gadgets with newer releases of iOS is guaranteed as they are still selling 3GS.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

The bottom line is that this was NOT an update. Nothing was changed except that you now have a choice of a white ipod. And that it will come with iOS 5 installed. Oh...and the $30 price drop in the 8 gig version. Personally i think they should have just dropped the 8 gig and made the bottom one 16 gig.

This is not typical Apple fanboy complaining about nothing. People have a reason to be let down a bit. I don't think anyone was expecting a radical redesign, but SOMETHING. After a year since the last one...NOTHING was changed. I am sorry, but a white ipod touch is not an update by any stretch of the imagination.

And you may not use the ipod to take pictures, but ALOT of people do...and I am sorry...but the HALF mega pixel camera was lame last year....and its even more lame now.

I love Apple. Been using Apple products way before it was "cool" to be an Apple head. Before Apple stores even existed. When you were laughed at by the pc geeks behind the counter at COMPUSA when you asked where the apple section was. Lol. So dont tell me to just buy something else.

People have a right to vent a little after waiting a year for such a lame update. :-p

I wonder how the iPod Classic fits in the Post PC era? You still need a computer to activate your iPod?!
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

I am mystified why Apple isn't offering a great camera with their iPod Touch. It feels like Apple is not confident that the addition of a phone to the iPhone is not a big enough differentiator?
  • Reply 34 of 36
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    So only software updates for the nano and the touch. The Shuffle and the classic continue to be sold without changes.

And only the nano gets a (way too small imo) price drop.

Apple's profit margins on iPods must go THROUGH THE ROOF! In 10 months the iPod Touch will be ancient technology and they'll still sell it at the same price points... wow!

I think this is Tim Cook's signature we're seeing here. Jobs was all about innovative products, and then Cook had to make sure these were sold and manufactured as efficiently as possible.

This kinda looks like Cook wants to manufacture and sell Apple'sproducts as efficiently as possible, and the rest of Apple just has to make sure these products are "cool" enough so people want to buy them.

Another example is the iPhone 4S: it's now a world phone, so that's only half as much SKU's in the supply chain compared to the iPhone 4. (oh, and the unlocked price for the -let's face it- ANCIENT 3GS in my country is equal to that of an Xperia Arc)
  • Reply 35 of 36
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    ^ things that bother people on AppleInsider

^ things that don't bother 95% of people who buy iPod touch.

Quote:

I am mystified why Apple isn't offering a great camera with their iPod Touch. It feels like Apple is not confident that the addition of a phone to the iPhone is not a big enough differentiator?

Thickness of great camera > thickness of iPod touch

Thickness of great camera >= thickness of iPhone

Thickness of really basic camera = thickness of iPod touch
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Thickness of really basic camera = thickness of iPod touch

Really? You could post a link to a point and shoot that is 7.2mm thick?

I might have to look into that.