Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 301 of 641
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Does anyone know if Siri will work on an iPhone 4?

It'll work until October 15th. Then it apparently shuts off. (Launch Siri. It'll tell you this).
  • Reply 302 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

He may not know what to call it. But the difference absolutely is there.

I'm not denying that the A5 is faster. I'm an electrical engineer so I can definitely appreciate the technical differences. However, the business part of me still has to ask about the change in experience for the typical user. In terms of the tasks that most people will do on their phone, will they really notice a difference?

Sure, games (for instance) may run better, but is that enough? Honestly, I use my iPhone for running Safari, Email, Music, Phone, and maybe a few simple games. At a certain point, the additional power does not become useful.
  • Reply 303 of 641
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post

Well, I think a lot of people imagined it. How long did it take for your apps to load on your 3G? People knew it need a speed boost.

Now how long does it take apps to load on your iPhone 4? I know apps on mine load very quickly. So even if the 4s is instantaneous loading, is the user experience really that much improved?

The best example we have of this is the iPad to iPad 2. After all, that is an A4 to A5 comparison. My dad had an iPad 1 and then bought an iPad 2. I asked him if he noticed any differences between them. He said he loved how the 2 was a lot thinner. When I asked about speed, he said, "Speed?". (And the iPad 2 had more RAM as well.)

Well, we'll see. Good points (1st pgrph). But seriously, your dad? Is he multitasking photo-editing and video-editing software? People I know who use iPad2 professionally say the difference between it and iPad1 was like the difference between a tool and a toy. I'm really only guessing how a dramatic increase in iP4S processor capacity will affect the user experience, but it sounds impressive enough to assume that it will allow the device to do things we haven't even thought of doing with a smartphone before - just like we had never thought of half the things the phones we have now can do.
  • Reply 304 of 641
    wooliewoolie Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Apple is 'unable to compete in the phone business' and 'in last place' , while having the best selling phone, by a massive margin, in the industry? Are you insane, or just fucking stupid? Sure, I'm also disappointed we didn't get a new form factor and larger screen, but there's no point spouting factually untrue and sensationalistic statements with no basis in reality, as you just did. iOS5, iCloud, and Siri look amazing, and as far as I can tell more polished and better implemented than anything else in the industry. Whether you like it or no, Apple is still in the lead- by a wide margin.

I been using Mobile Me for two years, a sheer disaster by any standard, iCloud is way suspect...

I trusted the spin & have spent endless hours to keep it barely working... I live in the real world...

I bought iPhone 4, Apple replaced it because it didn't work, serious antenna issues...

I bought IPAD, Apple replaced it twice trying to find one where the wifi worked...

It's wifi still barely works now, my cheap $300 netbook wifi runs circles around it and the iPhone...

I bought a MacBook, Apple replaced keyboard, case, dvd drive, hard drive...

I bought a iMac & MacBook Air... They've been great...

I am heavily invested in Apple products, but is clear as avid user Apple is falling way behind in the phone world... So all Apple did today is fix the marginal stuff iPhone 4... Look at Apple own spec comparison chart on the web... It is barely a speed bump... The distortion field does not work anymore...
  • Reply 305 of 641
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guava View Post

Latest rumour:

iPhone 5 coming in October 2012

4.5 inch screen

Thinner body

Teardrop shape

Aluminum unibody

A6 processor

iOS6

Siri II (really works now)

I predict that Siri beta will be shipped on iPhone 4S. When it goes official 1.0 it will be either a free upgrade or a purchase option from the App store on iPhone 4 and iPad 2.
  • Reply 306 of 641
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I'm surprised at the reactions too. Why don't people realize that generally most Americans are locked into two year contracts. Why would Apple try and sell you a new phone every year if that is the case? DUH

why? because Apple is a worldwide company that sells huge numbers abroad. In not many countries you'll find this ludicrous situation where people are forced into buying a phone into a two years contract (without ever be able to unlock it) in order to own an iPhone or any phone. There is a big world out there, you know
  • Reply 307 of 641
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You can pick up reading glasses at Walmart for $10.

Apple isn't responsible for your vision problems.

A lot of people don't use the iOS accessibility functions but it does allow you to enlarge text for certain apps on the phone.
  • Reply 308 of 641
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guava View Post

iPhone 5 coming in October 2012

Except this is the iPhone 5.

Quote:

Siri II (really works now)

Claiming something doesn't work when you've not only not used it yourself but also haven't even SEEN IT makes you look like a complete imbecile.
  • Reply 309 of 641
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Apple actually did all of you iPhone 4 owners a favor. You don't need to upgrade to still look like you have the newest phone.

I'm certainly not rushing out to buy the 4s. I'll probably keep my iPhone 4 until next year when I will be out of contact, so none of this really affects me.

It just goes to show that Apple doesn't need iPhone 4 users to upgrade in order to sell millions of new phones to first time buyers.
  • Reply 310 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wcbaritone10 View Post

Honestly the reason people are getting so worked up about this is because apple has become so big. They are in the spotlight more so than when they announced the 3GS. As I was reading the updates I was originally very disappointed with the upgrades for the new iPhone. Partly because of the rumors and I was really looking forward to something completely new. As a teenager I was quick to judge the 4S and throw it out the window as I feel most of the people complaining are. But when you actually look at it, this is a great upgrade and worthy of apples standards. However I feel my generation will still be unhappy simply because it looks the same which is a real shame.

Welcome & great 1st post!
  • Reply 311 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

why? because Apple is a worldwide company that sells huge numbers abroad. In not many countries you'll find this ludicrous situation where people are forced into buying a phone into a two years contract (without ever be able to unlock it) in order to own an iPhone or any phone. There is a big world out there, you know

Yup and America is still Apple's largest and if you are buying out of contract how tempted are you to spend nearly $1,000/ year on a new phone even if you aren't tied to a contract? If you're ok with that you do what I do and have two iPhone plans and upgrade one phone every other year. I'm pretty sure I am as well as those who would buy a new phone out of contract EVERY year are few and far between.
  • Reply 312 of 641
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delToros View Post

That is why this presentation is sad

Yes, it was not over the moon exciting but the iPhone 4s will be a great upgrade for 3gs users. ip4 users can wait until ip5. The ip4 is still a very current and in my view, beautiful device and can hold its own for a while longer. So we missed the excitement but nothing bad happened.

The bigger news over the next few weeks is iOS and iCloud anyway.

I am very happy that an iPhone 5 looking anything like those alleged previews (cases revealing an aluminum back with bevelled edge) was not launched. That would have been an aesthetic travesty in my view. When the iPhone 5 launches I suspect we will see a much lighter, leaner phone with curved glass similar to the Nokia Swipe.
  • Reply 313 of 641
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Let me start by saying that I took the news harshly, I was really hoping for a smaller phone, I personally find the iPhone 4 to be bigger than it's screen than it needs to be. I thought s year and a half could have solved that.

It is a better device now, just, not enough to make me want to upgrade, BUT I promised my gf that I'd give her my iPhone when I got the new one. I guess I'm just less excited now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Yeah, a processor, GPU and its interconnects that can do more in less time is a good thing for many reasons. If you don't understand that then it would be pointless for me to explain.

I do get this, being highly educated in CS. I just don't buy it in the case of phones. I am of the opinion that machines are starting to actually be overpowered, which I think will change eventually. I do understand that NOT putting in the A5 would have been very bad, so I cede this point.

Quote:

2) You honestly don't how faster internet speeds could help with anything other than torrenting? Perhaps battery usage efficiency being able to use the cellular chips less often. Or perhaps being able to render webpages and data in apps faster, like streaming of video. You really think waiting is a good thing here?

Fair enough, but let's think about real world use. I have an iPhone 4 and I don't wait for much of anything, this faster phone speed probably just uses more power. Seems like a non feature to me, for most carriers especially, I mean, I am in Canada and I doubt well get any hsdpa+ or whatever anytime soon. But yeah all in all I haven't found the current speeds lacking, but then upgrading the chips to something less than 4G, ouch.

And then theres coverae issues which I'd bet affect speeds way more than these theoretical maxes.

Quote:

3) It wasn't a problem, but neither was it a problem with any other iPhone before it. Apple makes their stuff better. Why does this seem so alien to you?

I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, in fact, for those that bought the antenagate hype, it's great. It just doesn't matter to me, or anyone with an i4 that hasn't had reception problems.

Quote:

4) It's improved in several good ways according to event data. I'm not one to use a camera but I can certainly see why better quality photos, that are better stability and especially in low light settings are a good thing of those that use it.

oh yeah, no doubt. Just not upgrade bait really... Honestly this is like the best new feature as far as I am concerned.

5) It has been seen. What part of the Siri/Nuance Assistant do you think won't be as good as the voice recognition in iOS 4.x?[/QUOTE]

Voice recognition in iOS 4 has failed me consistently and I really do my best to be loud and articulate. So I'm not getting my hopes up, looks quite cool though, I just wonder how useful it will be. But hey, if it gets us closer to getting away from keyboards, all the better. I'd love to see this on a new iPod shuffle! I also hope they update that voice, it's pretty weak IMHO

Quote:

6) Again, why pooh-pooh improved software because Apple is offering it to other devices. I'm sure you'd complain if Apple oddly didn't give the iPhone 4S new SW features so why complain when they do. You should at least leave it as a null value.

Oh I'd complain alright,

I was only shooting this down as being a reason to buy the new phone.

Quote:

7) For the most part you are right; this won't affect many users right away. This also could be the reason for this extra long delay since getting a world mode chip in a smartphone with this many bands has never before been done, especially in such a small smartphone. However, this does open the door for the US finally being to get legislation to get carriers to unlock devices after your contract is fulfilled. Why is that a bad thing?

Not bad, unless the lower battery life is the result... I find it strange that wifi time is lower but 3G times are higher..

Quote:

8) Prove to me they could have put these 64GB chips in the number of iPhones sold in the last 16 months. What were the yields of these chips then compared to the assumed upper-tier iPhone 4 sales? What were its cost per unit? How much power did they use? How fast were the chips? How was the reliability of these chips? Last I had read a year ago was they weren't as fast and had a significantly lower number of read/write sessions that made them unlikely to find their way into the iPhone until 2011. Reading about a new tech on Engadget doesn't mean it's ready for mass production in the most popular devices on the planet.

Sure, iPod touch has had 64gb for 16 months. That's proof no?

Had the same TV, same stereo system, but got the newest AppleTV and new TiVo HD. Made the experience considerably better because core devices made accessing my media better, faster and more enjoyable. Buying a new TV just because the black plastic border is a little difference would not have made a difference.[/QUOTE]

O so maybe tvs are replaced as often but my point remains, the device Form factor has remained identical for more than ayear, in the technology industry that's like 80 lifetimes. HP lauched and killed a product in the meantime!
  • Reply 314 of 641
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woolie View Post

I been using Mobile Me for two years, a sheer disaster by any standard, iCloud is way suspect...

I trusted the spin & have spent endless hours to keep it barely working... I live in the real world...

I bought iPhone 4, Apple replaced it because it didn't work, serious antenna issues...

I bought IPAD, Apple replaced it twice trying to find one where the wifi worked...

It's wifi still barely works now, my cheap $300 netbook wifi runs circles around it and the iPhone...

I bought a MacBook, Apple replaced keyboard, case, dvd drive, hard drive...

I bought a iMac & MacBook Air... They've been great...

I am heavily invested in Apple products, but is clear as avid user Apple is falling way behind in the phone world... So all Apple did today is fix the marginal stuff iPhone 4... Look at Apple own spec comparison chart on the web... It is barely a speed bump... The distortion field does not work anymore...

wow.. Dude way bad luck!

I have:

2 - PowerMac G3s,

1 - Sawtooth G4

1 - Gigabit G4

1 - eMac G4

1 - iMac G3

1 - 21" iMac Intel Core 2

1 - iBook G3

1 - Macbook Intel 13"

1 - Macbook Pro 13"

3 - iPhone 4

1 - iPad 1

1 - 3rd Gen iPod touch

1 - iPod Nano (forgot which gen, 2 back I think)

----

~ 16 apple devices. I have only had problems with one of them and it was the iBook G3 video problem. Which Apple resolved for free after it was out of warranty.
  • Reply 315 of 641
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Apple should've just issued a press release and updated the website for this non-event.
  • Reply 316 of 641
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

If you think Apple is counting on people upgrading their phones every year, you are sadly mistaken. Especially in this economy. Give it a rest.

I would, and lot more users would do too, maybe you won't but that doesn't mean you should restrict people to upgrade every two years just because you are on a contract or are unable to.
  • Reply 317 of 641
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:

..... and they expect us iPhone 4 users upgrade to this at the tune of 700 buck?

No.. I visited my account on AT&T and it looks like I'm already eligible for an upgrade at 199$ for the 16GB.

I bought in August, few weeks after the initial launch because I was waiting on resolution to antenna-gate.

I guess if you bought later, like on the Verizon launch or the white iPhone launch, you wouldn't be eligible.
  • Reply 318 of 641
    Same girl different dress. Not worth trading my 3GS in for, sell the stock now the unit numbers will disappoint through the end of the year.
  • Reply 319 of 641
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    82% of voters unhappy at business insider poll.
  • Reply 320 of 641
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

..... and they expect us iPhone 4 users upgrade to this at the tune of 700 buck?

No, they expect Sprint users and 3GS users to.