iOS 5 will be available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch on Oct. 12

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
iOS 5, the next major update to Apple's mobile operating system for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, will publicly be available for download next Wednesday, Oct. 12.

The free update will be available through iTunes for the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, first-generation iPad, fourth-generation iPod touch, and third-generation iPod touch. The launch date was announced on Tuesday by Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president of iOS Software.

Forstall also gave a rundown of 10 of the biggest features of iOS 5, including notifications, Newsstand, PC-free setup, wireless syncing, and fast access to the Camera application from the lock screen.

Though the initial install of iOS 5 must be done as with previous versions of the software, through iTunes, the fifth iteration of the mobile operating system will allow for PC-free operation in the future. That means that users will be able to download updates wirelessly, directly to their device, without the need to connect via USB to a Mac or PC.

Apple first unveiled iOS 5 this June at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference. Tuesday's announcement of the Oct. 12 launch is the first time Apple has offered a concrete release date for the software, as previously it was promised to simply arrive in the fall.

AppleInsider exclusively reported in September that Apple had blacked out employee vacations from Octtober 9th through 12th specifically for the iOS 5 release. Sources also provided a second batch of dates, October 14th through 15th, accurately telegraphing the iPhone 4S launch date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    "Though the initial install of iOS 5 must be done as with previous versions of the software, through iTunes, the fifth iteration of the mobile operating system will allow for PC-free operation in the future. "

Not sure what this means. Should it read "PC-free operation thereafter"?

I want to gift someone an iPad and they don't have a computer. If I upgrade the device with IOS5, can they then go PC free thereafter, or does "in the future" mean some unspecified time in the future after additional upgrades?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

"Though the initial install of iOS 5 must be done as with previous versions of the software, through iTunes, the fifth iteration of the mobile operating system will allow for PC-free operation in the future. "

Not sure what this means. Should it read "PC-free operation thereafter"?

I want to gift someone an iPad and they don't have a computer. If I upgrade the device with IOS5, can they then go PC free thereafter, or does "in the future" mean some unspecified time in the future after additional upgrades?

That's correct.

You need iOS5 to be initially installed (although if you hold off for a month they will be released with it preinstalled) after which everything can be done sans desktop.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I've been waiting for quite some time for iOS 5 and that time is almost here.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Can anyone tell me if Siri will be included in the new iso for iPhone 4 or iPad 2? I have been looking but haven't found an answer. I don't really want to but a new iPhone for my wife. Well of course I will get on for me just not her.

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigsexy View Post

Can anyone tell me if Siri will be included in the new iso for iPhone 4 or iPad 2?

No, of course not.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    At first glance at the 4s, nothing blows the doors off.

But I think if you look at this more closely things change.

The advances - are they revolutionary or merely evolutionary? Is iCloud the most important battleground of today's digital world?

http://jmmxtech.wordpress.com/
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I find it rather ironic no one is talking about the lack of Social Networks being mentioned today.

What's up Facebook?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I find it rather ironic no one is talking about the lack of Social Networks being mentioned today.

What's up Facebook?

I find it rather refreshing that there's no more of that crap in my mobile OS', much less desktop ones.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What's up Facebook?

That's the best damn news all day. I don't like Facebook and I don't use Facebook.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I'm excited about the PC-free feature. Hopefully this means I no longer have to keep my 60GB of apps I've accumulated over 3 years on my 128GB MacBook Air.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

I'm excited about the PC-free feature. Hopefully this means I no longer have to keep my 60GB of apps I've accumulated over 3 years on my 128GB MacBook Air.

Apps have always been freely redownloadable. You have NEVER had to keep them on your MacBook Air?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iOS 5, the next major update to Apple's mobile operating system for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, will publicly be available for download next Wednesday, Oct. 12.

Will iOS5 kill syncing with iTunes for "on my mac" calendars and large podcasts and video? Can you go back to the prior iOS if it does? I've found the new MobileMe calendars to be unacceptably buggy and continue to use "on my mac" calendars for business appointments where I can't afford to have them disappear / reappear / not be updated as regularly occurs with the new MobileMe service. Similarly I use iTunes to sync my address book to avoid my admittedly very large address book periodically disappearing entirely when MobileMe tries to update it but can't maintain the signal quite long enough. Siri sounds cool, but not worth losing the ability to sync my calendars and address book with my iPhone via iTunes. The "cloud" really can't replace a wired sync if you have a lot of calendar entries and/or address book entries.

Any guess as to what other things will break with the upgrade? Apple's been breaking a lot of useful functions lately with "upgrades."
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scowls View Post

Will iOS5 kill syncing with iTunes for "on my mac" calendars and large podcasts and video?

Uh? no.

Quote:

Can you go back to the prior iOS if it does?

That would be stupid. Fortunately, you don't have to do that.

Quote:

I've found the new MobileMe calendars to be unacceptably buggy

iCloud isn't. At all. It's incredible.

Quote:

Any guess as to what other things will break with the upgrade? Apple's been breaking a lot of useful functions lately with "upgrades."

• Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

That's correct.

You need iOS5 to be initially installed (although if you hold off for a month they will be released with it preinstalled) after which everything can be done sans desktop.

That is good news.

On a related note, anyone know if there will still be restrictions on itunes downloads for 3G? As it stands now, I think it's limited to 20MB. It would be a shame to be "PC Free", but not be able to download any substantial content. The only way for this person to get broadband is via 3G. Doesn't make sense for them to mess with MiFi just to funnel the same 3G traffic to their iPad.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    so this looks like the time to switch to apple mail, just wondering what other people are thinking about this?

I'm more then tempted, free, no ads, all of the other icould features, online icloud site. easy data storage upgrade.

What are the pros and cons of gmail compared to icloud mail. They don't really seem to be pushing the mail thing, more of a small detail to them. To me its a big deal.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ca805458 View Post

What are the pros and cons of gmail compared to icloud mail.

What's more important is the change from any web-based e-mail service to OS X's Mail application.

Mail's search is phenomenal. It's definitely the best mail application out there. Moving between it and the web client of iCloud is cake.

Gmail itself vs. iCloud? Gmail probably has more features. I have no idea. It sounds like something that would be the case.

But iCloud has no ads, Apple doesn't have bots read your mail to sell you targeted crap, and you get to have an ego boost from having an e-mail address @me.