Siri voice assistant technology distinguishes iPhone 4S

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's acquisition of Siri has resulted in a standout feature for iPhone 4S that promises to change how users interact with mobile devices.

Apple acquired Siri a year and a half ago, and has since worked on integrating the technology into iOS 5.

Siri first appeared as an iOS app, allowing users to ask natural language questions that were analyzed via the company's network service to provide answers ranging from making dinner appointments to buying movie tickets.

The greatly improved processing power of iPhone 4S enables it to do more with Siri, turning the app into a deeply embedded service. Apple has now pulled the Siri app from the App Store, and existing users are being notified that the former Siri app will stop working October 15, after the iPhone 4S arrives.

"I've been replaced!" The app notified existing users today. "The new Siri is even smarter and better looking than me, and waiting for you on the iPhone 4S. I'll be leaving for home Oct. 15th. Until then... how can I help you?"

Apple has incorporated Siri technology into iOS to allow the new iPhone 4S to both access external queries about weather, local businesses, traffic and general information as well as providing hands-free assistance with creating calendar appointments, looking up contacts, setting up timers and location-based reminders, accessing maps or directions, sending emails or texts, or controlling iPod playback.

The functionality of Siri is also integrated with new dictation features that allow iPhone 4S users to write messages by speaking, something that should work in most existing apps anywhere the user can type.

In a video created to demonstrate Siri features, Apple depicts the new feature as working as a greatly embellished version of Voice Command, where users press the integrated mic button or, presumably, double click the Home button.

One user is depicted scheduling appointments while jogging, while another asks for directions hands-free while driving. A woman asks about the weather in another city, and a cook asks for a measurement conversion before requesting Siri to set an alarm timer.

A final segment in the video depicts Siri's integration with iOS accessibility features, showing a blind user getting a verbal text notification that she can then respond to and send entirely by voice commands.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 192
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    It better work as shown in the videos or Apple (and it) will become the butt of many, many jokes...
  • Reply 2 of 192
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

It better work as shown in the videos or Apple (and it) will become the butt of many, many jokes...

Check out the BBC video.

Looks like it works as advertised.
  • Reply 3 of 192
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Gawd! Starbucks was loud enough before this.
  • Reply 4 of 192
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    I have absolutely NO desire to talk to my phone (been there done that) nor my computer. I expect it to read my thoughts.

I do have a desire to browse the Internet on my flat screen TV on my wall which however ATV will not allow.
  • Reply 5 of 192
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Check out the BBC video.

Is it outdoors as in a city? On a windy day?

With an ambulance passing? Or a fire engine?
  • Reply 6 of 192
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    will it or will it not work on the iPhone 4?
  • Reply 7 of 192
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:

I would imagine it will work very well. Generally when Apple rolls out a new feature it works as it's intended. I was going to type "works as advertised", but that's often a bit over the top no matter who's product is being pushed, even Apple's.

Having said that, the feature sounds and looks pretty cool, but using it in public? Perhaps not so much. Talking to my GPS, Ford Sync or phone in the privacy of my truck or maybe at home is fine. Not going to happen at work or in other public places. Just kinda dorky IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 192
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

It is iPhone 4S feature. So not available on the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 9 of 192
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    So dumb question...

Is it build into 4GS or into iOS? Will it work with iphone 4 as well? I don't get it.
  • Reply 10 of 192
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I would like to know the answer to that question as well.
  • Reply 11 of 192
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I would like to know the answer to that question as well.

As someone already stated, it will not work with any of the current Apple products no matter if you use iOS5. It's unique to the upcoming iPhone 4s.
  • Reply 12 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Check out the BBC video.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I would imagine it will work very well. Generally when Apple rolls out a new feature it works as it's intended. I was going to type "works as advertised", but that's often a bit over the top no matter who's product is being pushed, even Apple's.

Having said that, the feature sounds and looks pretty cool, but using it in public? Perhaps not so much. Talking to my GPS, Ford Sync or phone in the privacy of my truck or maybe at home is fine. Not going to happen at work or in other public places. Just kinda dorky IMO.

I want this to actually work....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZSkvwpBBok

Current Voice Control sucks...
  • Reply 13 of 192
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I wonder if Siri will make it to Mac OS Lion.
  • Reply 14 of 192
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Lion's iCal already makes a mess of things. You think I'm going to trust voice input for this? No, Siri.
  • Reply 15 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I wonder if Siri will make it to Mac OS Lion.

I am still waiting for iBooks...
  • Reply 16 of 192
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    The iPad 2 uses the same A5 chip and no doubt its at its full speed more often than in the iPhone 4S, so why doesn't it get Siri?
  • Reply 17 of 192
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

The iPad 2 uses the same A5 chip and no doubt its at its full speed more often than in the iPhone 4S, so why doesn't it get Siri?

The iPhone 4S might have more RAM - I don't think they said either way, but voice recognition is RAM intensive. I'd also imagine the 4S has a better mic system with noise cancellation, etc. Of course, it could be Apple is making it 4S exclusive for purely marketing purposes.
  • Reply 18 of 192
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Not too sure about this. With a Scottish accent voice control soon turns into what can only be called a bout of tourettes to a passer by.
  • Reply 19 of 192
    Quote:

Even if it does, it's still just a gimmick really. Nothing I want anyway, and I think most of the folks that do want it will have unrealistic expectations of what it can do for them.

I'm still in the seriously underwhelmed camp. There is almost nothing the new iPhone has, outside of perhaps the camera, that I need at all.

I was really hoping for a smaller, cooler looking iPhone to mitigate the fact that it's already more than powerful enough for most peoples needs.
  • Reply 20 of 192
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Is it outdoors as in a city? On a windy day?

With an ambulance passing? Or a fire engine?

I demand this software work in absolutely every single fringe case imaginable otherwise I will deem it a complete failure and perpetually make fun of Apple on forums for creating such tripe.

That's you.

Personally, I'm fine with it even if it doesn't work while I'm standing right underneath a tornado siren. But maybe I'm too lenient.