Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 421 of 641
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

I've been saying the knew iPhone would be a 4s for almost a year! People thought I was crazy. Now who's crazy?!

You, for thinking this proves you're clairvoyant......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

disappointing event, no new iPhone just a re-cooked iPhone 4, true to form as in the past (see iPhone 3GS), I guess they feel they are well in front of the competition there is no need of anything new. I don't see many iPhone users upgrading to 'this', 3G and 3GS sure but not 4s. I guess we have to wait another 12 months to see anything new.

Dunno about 12 months. All bets are off on release sked for the next phone. Two years should be enough return on "production experience" for this shell - which will be passed down anyway, as the 3GS and 4 have been, so it has more YEARS of life anyway - so as one suggested it might be an iPad spring, iPhone summer and iPod (and say MBA, ATV or whatever) fall.

However, while I'm sure this is going to be another huge seller that at least maintains Apple's relative position (with new OS, modern internals, good as P&S camera, and adding carrieres), I am concerned about Apple's relatively low % of R&D spending relative to sales and profits - it's far below that of other companies. Meaning - with the best margins in the biz - they CAN do more and STILL have... ...the best margins in the business AND blow away the competition even more.

One thing's sure - Cook needs another breakthrough product to establish his stamp as long as we just got through a long talk about an update to an existing line which leaves Apple exactly where it was in the same lines of biz, with the same degree of product polish - and needs it sometime in 2012, and a "retina display" iPad 3 with an A6 chip won't qualify - or even a "real iPhone 5" (whatever that would be). The living room looks like the frontier here..... ...but an Apple just polishing its existing brass won't be the company the world loves to get excited about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Edge-to-edge screen does not necessarily mean a brick in your pocket. That is a bit exaggerated. They could simply slightly increase the screen size while maintaining the current resolution and form factor. Just reduce the white space. That would have been a sexy change.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

I don't get why people are upset about the screen - Bigger screens either mean less pixel density or bigger resolution. Apps are not going to be rewritten for this yet.

The only real criticism I have is that they didn't go to about 3.8" - that still would've been in "retina-range" and not changed the dimensions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The new phone has:

- much faster processor

- much faster data speeds

- new antenna

- greatly improved camera

- incredible voice recognition

- Improved software

- World phone capability

- up to twice the storage capacity

In fact, virtually everything is new except the case.

Yet everyone is whining "we didn't get anything new - just a faster iPhone). So do you use your phone to make calls or access the internet - or do you spend all your time staring at the case? It's funny that it's the Apple haters who are spending the most time focusing on the package rather than what's inside.

It's a great update - whether they called it iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 or Swiss Cheese.

Conservative and fair to call it the 4S - acknowledging it's not a whole new form rather a thorough refinement. Not pointing out that NO US customers will get the benefit of the 14.4 speed they talked about (not compatible with even much of anything AT&T has deployed, let alone the other two carriers) is less "fair" and nearly deceptive. And the SCREEN is also not new.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by afreemanmd View Post

What is possibly good about a "world phone" as long as the phone is forever locked to a single carrier, even after contract? ... This is not much of a feature IMHO unless they sell unlocked versions or will unlock after contract.

It's a HUGE feature for APPLE - cuts their SKU's in HALF - they can ship the same 6 widgets to every company. Major savings in supply chain/inventory management. Not to mention only minor retooling of main production lines. Which again, as noted above, for a non-dividend paying corp accumulating enough cash to pay the US national debt, I'd like to see a little more being spent on R&D to produce even insanely greater products. Like the turn by turn stuff and and transactional capabilities (being foamed about below, but desirable, nonetheless), better facebooking, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

NO NFC? NO WALLET? NO TURN-BY-TURN?

WTF!

In other news, the Android platform triples it's lead over iOS...

In other news, half-informed numbskulls will never get "its" and "it's" straight.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not in profits. Or in sales. Or marketshare. Or user retention. Or customer feedback.

So… in what?

Exactly. Meanwhile, I'm in for the "ecosystem" halo benefits as much as anything else, so the bells and whistles on all those Androids (which may or may not be updated, improved, last, work, stay uninfected, who knows) are just fun to look at.
  • Reply 422 of 641
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

why not answer the question.

Your little quips really aren't that cute.

<plonk>
  • Reply 423 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

I think iPhone 5 will be out in June / July 2012...back to the normal announcement schedule.

iPad - Spring

iPhone - Summer

iPod - Fall

Guess the rumors were right about one phone...not really surprised.

Well, given that there was a rumor about every possible eventuality, one had to be "right."
  • Reply 424 of 641
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why I'm getting a 4S:

LMAO! Well played!

I may have to talk my daughter into taking my iPhone 4 off my hands....
  • Reply 425 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

<plonk>

In other words... you've got nothing.

• Reply 426 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richwl View Post

I can't believe that people are getting so emotional about this! It's a PHONE people! And it's nearly entirely new where it matters the most which is INSIDE. Why should Apple redesign the outside every time they upgrade the phone? They don't do that with their computers do they? I think that the problem is that they have moved so quickly on both fronts that people simply expect it to always be that way. It was inevitable that they would slow down on changing the form factor. I'm typing this on a late 2008 15" MacBook Pro. It looks virtually identical to a 2011 15" MacBook Pro. Big deal! It's funny because this makes me think of how people are with cars. They think a car is so different/better if the sheet metal gets changed significantly, but the internals are all the same as there previous model. Car companies take advantage of this all the time! Apple most likely feels that the current design of the iPhone 4 is good enough to stick with for another year. And you know what? They'll sell MILLIONS of them! So stop crying like a bunch of babies that just got their lollipops stolen. The iPhone 4S is a serious upgrade where it really counts and that's in performance!

Your an idiot. We are upset because they didn't add enough internally. Just minor updates. And what's the point investing in a iPhone 4s when it can be mistaken for an iPhone 4 and vice versa. At least change the back or add a iPhone 4s logo so people can tell the difference.

I've really gone off apple. Lazy bastards
  • Reply 427 of 641
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Antennagate! Love it! I missed those arguments.

Cut it out.

Nothing. And you GOT a better thing.

So there's no excuse for this.

And the iPhone 3GS from 2.5 years ago still sells better than that pile of trash. It IS funny, isn't it?

They never mention it, though.

Which happens after every keynote.

You know, I completely buy that for some reason. I can see them milking the "iPhone 4" part of the name for ANOTHER year.

Tallest Shrill make'n friends.
  • Reply 428 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by booradley View Post

I'm very disappointed. I have numerous Apple products and want to continue to purchase their products. I love them. They have been a year or two ahead of their competition until the past year. I believe this update catches them up with their competition. It doesn't put them ahead. I just saw a demo on the Google voice and they did exactly what Apple demo'd today. They've had it for over a year. They've had better cameras for over 1.5 years until today. Yes, Apple added more but today just caught up with their competition and will now be left behind in another month or so. Soon MS will catch them.

A survey just out stated that 80% of Apple customers are disappointed with this update.

So what would have made you undisappointed?

More Gigahertz?

More Cores?

More Gigabytes?

More Megapixels?

I'm sure whatever Apple announced today would have been disappointing to folks like you for one reason or another. If you're predisposed to thinking Android as being way ahead of iPhone, then there's nothing Apple could do to make you happy; you're complaining about all kinds of hypothetical specs that Apple didn't deliver. Tell me: why do you care about 4K video? What are you going to do, shoot a movie with your phone and watch it on your home 4K TV? Be honest here: if Apple did offer 4K video you'd be disappointed it wasn't 8K or 20K or 100K. Apple bumped it up to 1080p, then added stabilization and backside illumination. That's awesome for a phone camera. I am starting to think people like you really don't want a phone, I think you want a list of specs that you can brag to your friends about.
  • Reply 429 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

I was hoping for a 5. Oh well. As long as iOS5 and all the features work on my 4 I'm not upgrading until next year.

Seriously? I suppose if they just called it "iPhone 5" you'd have been thrilled.

Here's why I'm getting the 4S: camera, video quality (the camera and video on my son's Samsung Galaxy S2 sucks), processor speed, and Siri. Oh. I also LIKE the size of the screen. The Galaxy S2 feels like a mini tablet rather than a phone. The iPhone is way more comfortable in my hand and pocket than many of the bloated "larger is better" Android offerings.

The 4S is just what I was hoping for. I wasn't losing much sleep over which number Apple might append at the end of the name
  • Reply 430 of 641
    I am a current 3GS owner who lives in a very rural area with no DSL, no cable, no U-Verse, no FIOS, etc. We just got AT&T 3G service about 4 months ago, and HSPA+ about 2 months ago. Can anyone please answer the following questions, without attacks, so that I can decide if this new phone is worth the upgrade? I know I can call AT&T, but I want the experts answers from here, instead of a sales pitch.

I use my phone for the following, and wish to know if my experience will be better:

1. Phone calls - will the 4S be substantially better at making or receiving phone calls?

2. Texting - Will the 4S be better at texting?

3. Surfing the web - I regularly get approx. 2.8 - 3 MB download speeds from my 3GS. Will the 4S do better?

4. Apps - will the 4S bring me the news faster or in more detail? Will my regular apps that do password management, on-line shopping, YPMobile, etc be better on the 4S? I looked at the Retina screen of the 4 when it came out, and I really did not see a huge difference. Maybe it was the lighting in the store? But I realy thought, meh, this is what everyone is raving about? Was I wrong?

5. Email - will the 4S improve my email experience?

6. Tethering - I tether my 3GS to my PC since I have pretty much no other choice for data speeds above 1MB. Will the 4S speed up my connection with my PC to the Internet?

7. Games - don't do them, so don't care if it will run them better or faster. That's why I have an XBox 360 and a PS2.

That's really about all I use it for. I work out of my home, so spend about 90 percent of my life in this house. So does anyone think that I am a good candidate to upgrade to the 4S, and WHY do you think that?

Any constructive comments are most welcome, and thank you in advance!!

Thanks for listening.
  • Reply 431 of 641
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    I'm an idiot? Somehow I bet if you were sitting across from me you wouldn't say that. Your response is a perfect illustration of what's wrong with how people communicate on the web. You feel safe behind your keyboard, and that allows you to be rude. Why not try to be civil if you disagree with me? The fact that you're that angry about a phone speaks volumes about you. You don't want the 4S don't buy it. Pretty simple. Calling people idiots because you don't agree with them proves only that you are one. And yes, I would say that if I was sitting across from you.
  • Reply 432 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrMan365 View Post

Your an idiot. We are upset because they didn't add enough internally. Just minor updates. And what's the point investing in a iPhone 4s when it can be mistaken for an iPhone 4 and vice versa. At least change the back or add a iPhone 4s logo so people can tell the difference.

I've really gone off apple. Lazy bastards

LOL! You worry about your phone being mistaken for an earlier version???? Seriously???? Afraid people might not think you're really cool? Change the back? You must be joking.

I suppose you won't buy a hybrid car unless it has "HYBRID" written all over it so everyone knows just how hip you are.

Swapping out a slow processor for a dual core burner that also offers dual core graphic processing, replacing a decent camera with what appears to be an exceptional one, and adding 1080p video, along with all the technology underlying SIRI is not hardly minor updates.

I suggest you buy a Palm Pre 2. No one will mistake it for an iPhone 4.
  • Reply 433 of 641
    jiggzjiggz Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So what would have made you undisappointed?

More Gigahertz?

More Cores?

More Gigabytes?

More Megapixels?

I'm sure whatever Apple announced today would have been disappointing to folks like you for one reason or another. If you're predisposed to thinking Android as being way ahead of iPhone, then there's nothing Apple could do to make you happy; you're complaining about all kinds of hypothetical specs that Apple didn't deliver. Tell me: why do you care about 4K video? What are you going to do, shoot a movie with your phone and watch it on your home 4K TV? Be honest here: if Apple did offer 4K video you'd be disappointed it wasn't 8K or 20K or 100K. Apple bumped it up to 1080p, then added stabilization and backside illumination. That's awesome for a phone camera. I am starting to think people like you really don't want a phone, I think you want a list of specs that you can brag to your friends about.

No, it's the lack of 3D...
  • Reply 434 of 641
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The entire stock market was down and Apple moved with it. By the end of the day, both the market and AAPL recovered most of their loss. This movement had nothing to do with iPhone.
  • Reply 435 of 641
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

I suggest you buy a Palm Pre 2. No one will mistake it for an iPhone 4.

Two thumbs up!
  • Reply 436 of 641
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Then there's that guy that every [Apple] product he buys has to be returned or replaced... several times!

Why is the fact that someone has had an Apple product fail an issue for you?

I have had 50% of my Macs have serious hardware failures, one required three repair trips to fix. I know plenty of other people of other people that have had Apple products fail, it is very possible, just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it hasn't happened to someone else.
  • Reply 437 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richwl View Post

I'm an idiot? Somehow I bet if you were sitting across from me you wouldn't say that. Your response is a perfect illustration of what's wrong with how people communicate on the web. You feel safe behind your keyboard, and that allows you to be rude. Why not try to be civil if you disagree with me? The fact that you're that angry about a phone speaks volumes about you. You don't want the 4S don't buy it. Pretty simple. Calling people idiots because you don't agree with them proves only that you are one. And yes, I would say that if I was sitting across from you.

I'll guarantee you that he got an infraction notice from the mods...

from someone who is on probation
  • Reply 438 of 641
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

Seriously? I suppose if they just called it "iPhone 5" you'd have been thrilled.

Here's what I would have liked to have seen:

Non-glass back

Edge-to-edge screen (either bigger screen,or smaller overall)

Non-exposed antenna

Better battery life

Turn by turn GPS with real time updated traffic

NFC with wallet features

Facebook integration

QR code integration

I don't actually care about the camera or the processor speed, so this phone isn't for me. The iCloud stuff is cool, so maybe I'll get an iPhone 4, or wait until the next one, which probably will have most of this stuff.
  • Reply 439 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

The entire stock market was down and Apple moved with it. By the end of the day, both the market and AAPL recovered most of their loss. This movement had nothing to do with iPhone.

That chart was posted by someone who thought he was being cute.

Apple has actually fared better than most tech stocks over the last 6, 3, 1 month periods. It only falls apart a little when you only compare the last 5 days.

[on edit: ... but then again... Google falls apart in the exact same period... as well as the 6, 3, and 1 month periods]
  • Reply 440 of 641
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

..... and they expect us iPhone 4 users upgrade to this at the tune of 700 buck?

No, they don't - where did they say that they did? Most iPhone 4 users will be on 2 year contracts. This release was for 3GS users coming off contract or those not yet on the platform.