Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 441 of 641
    Okay - I have been hanging on every piece of information about the supposed iphone 5 since March of 2011. I'm on an old iPhone 3gs and I was up for my 2 year renewal this June. In March I heard the rumor that there would be no iPhone refresh in June. That the Tsunami had really messed up the supply chain. In addition to that, since Verizon had just received the iPhone, everyone would probably have to wait. I didn't believe a word of it.... I just held on because I knew WWDC would say otherwise... Well no such luck.

So I built up hope... I figured Apple is making everyone wait for a special reason. Maybe a completely newly designed iPhone with NFC, a bigger screen, more RAM, even an all metal back. So I sit back and wait. Listening to a million podcasts (Buzz Out Loud, Twit, iphone today) just waiting for any tidbit that will steer me in the right direction. But nothing really came - just a bunch of rumors.

Until two days ago when the blogosphere lit up with the rumor that there wouldn't be an iPhone 5, just an iPhone 4s.... I didn't believe a word of it.... I just held on because I knew the iPhone keynote would say otherwise.... Well no such luck

The reason I'm telling you all this is simply to say I DON'T CARE ANYMORE.... I'm just happy that there's a new iPhone coming. Between all the rumors, nail-biting, and false excitement... I just want a new phone in my hand.

In reality... the 4s is a damn good phone. The insides are fast, the camera is great, and the new iOS will be something to talk about. Sure no bigger screen and I would have liked more RAM, but overall I think this is a decent bump in specs.

Apple has become a religion for some (me included)... I'm just happy that I can now wake up from my rumors trance, buy my new iPhone and re-enter the land of the living.
  • Reply 442 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tikishark View Post

the reason i'm telling you all this is simply to say i don't care anymore.... I'm just happy that there's a new iphone coming. Between all the rumors, nail-biting, and false excitement... I just want a new phone in my hand.

In reality... The 4s is a damn good phone. The insides are fast, the camera is great, and the new ios will be something to talk about. Sure no bigger screen and i would have liked more ram, but overall i think this is a decent bump in specs.

Apple has become a religion for some (me included)... I'm just happy that i can now wake up from my rumors trance, buy my new iphone and re-enter the land of the living.

+1
  • Reply 443 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggz View Post

No, it's the lack of 3D...

Yeah, that's why the Nintendo 3DS is just flying off the shelf...

C'mon, if the iPhone had 3D, these people would be complaining about the lack of 4D or 5D. Because for some people, owning a phone isn't about the ownership experience, it's about whether YOUR phone is winning some hypothetical specs war.

Ask a spec whore what they're going to do with more cores or Gigahertz or megapixel, and they'll shrug their shoulders and say it's all about bragging rights. If they can be that honest and self aware. And there's nothing wrong with being that shallow. I just think it's completely unfair to call the iPhone 4S a failure, just because one is so narrow minded.
  • Reply 444 of 641
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

..... and they expect us iPhone 4 users upgrade to this at the tune of 700 buck?

If you already have an iPhone 4 why would you like to upgrade it anyway? is it that bad?
  • Reply 445 of 641
    jiggzjiggz Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, that's why the Nintendo 3DS is just flying off the shelf...

C'mon, if the iPhone had 3D, these people would be complaining about the lack of 4D or 5D. Because for some people, owning a phone isn't about the ownership experience, it's about whether YOUR phone is winning some hypothetical specs war.

Ask a spec whore what they're going to do with more cores or Gigahertz or megapixel, and they'll shrug their shoulders and say it's all about bragging rights. If they can be that honest and self aware. And there's nothing wrong with being that shallow. I just think it's completely unfair to call the iPhone 4S a failure, just because one is so narrow minded.

I hope the sarcasm was obvious. Like I said before, I think it is a nice new phone. The main issue people have is the fact that the form factor stayed the same making it more difficult to show off their new phone. And I for one am happy that there is no Facebook integration... the last thing I want is even more Facebook.
  • Reply 446 of 641
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    this is awesome,now i can get a nice case and unlike when ip4 was announced and there were no

protective otterbox cases till way late

i can get a case and order my ip4s

will you go to the telecos and buy, be put on preorder list

or

order from apple and work a deal

and what size

now we know that every 2 years for major design change and speed bump ios upgrade each year

3g 3gs 4 4s
  • Reply 447 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richwl View Post

I'm an idiot? Somehow I bet if you were sitting across from me you wouldn't say that. Your response is a perfect illustration of what's wrong with how people communicate on the web. You feel safe behind your keyboard, and that allows you to be rude. Why not try to be civil if you disagree with me? The fact that you're that angry about a phone speaks volumes about you. You don't want the 4S don't buy it. Pretty simple. Calling people idiots because you don't agree with them proves only that you are one. And yes, I would say that if I was sitting across from you.

If I was sitting across you I would probably flick u in the head.

Ur opinion is idiotic hence ur an idiot.
  • Reply 448 of 641
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggz View Post

And I for one am happy that there is no Facebook integration... the last thing I want is even more Facebook.

Sure would be nice to be able to post a page to my FB profile directly from Safari or YouTube. It would be nice to be able to upload photos directly from the camera app. That's not asking a lot, really.
  • Reply 449 of 641
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    Yeah, I doubt it highly. We won't get into what would happen if you tried though. Needless to say, you've proven what you're about here today. Two words for you, anger management. You're angry because you have the mistaken belief that Apple owes you something. My 5 year old son has tantrums that make more sense than yours. If you get this mad about a cell phone I can only imagine what you're like when something important goes wrong.
  • Reply 450 of 641
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    The upgrade is a significant improvement. Nonetheless, I am disappointed. The iPhone 4 in the family works great. I can get iOS 5 for free and benefit from most of the improvements.

I am vain, but I am not going to tie myself to a 2 Year Contract to have a phone that looks identical to the current one. I want other people to be as excited by my purchase as myself. Nobody will even know I bought a new phone.

I was going to buy a new iPhone to replace the aging 3Gs in the household. Instead, I will buy my friend's iPhone 4 that he will not need anymore as he is going to Sprint. I will unlock that.
  • Reply 451 of 641
    What Mr. Cook needed, what Apple needed,and what users wanted are not the same.

Mr. Cook needed something that would really blow the socks off the press just to show that Apple could out do Apple without Mr. Jobs. That did not happen. Mr. Cook will take a lot of grief over that.

Apple needed a reasonable and prudent upgrade to an already excellent market leading product. It needed to show it was moving forward with the latest technology. Most would say Apple got that.

What users wanted varies all over the spectrum as demonstrated by the responses to the upgrade in this thread. Whether enough users will be satisfied with the internal-only upgrade to buy millions of the new phones remains to be seen. In the long run that, and Apple's other products, will dictate long-term market trends not initial reaction to today's presentation.

Personally, I wanted both a new form factor and the internal upgrades. When I buy something new, I don't want to be asked if it is the old model. However, that first generation Verizon Blackberry Storm of mine is, well, crap.
  • Reply 452 of 641
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So what would have made you undisappointed?

More Gigahertz?

More Cores?

More Gigabytes?

More Megapixels?

But it looks the same! Whaa! None of the baristas at starbucks will know I've got the latest apple toy! They'll all think I've got some 99 dollar piece of shit!
  • Reply 453 of 641
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Ah, nothing like an Apple hardware release, people coming out of the woodwork and registering just to explain how big a fail it is, Android fans smirking and spec gobbling, whatever Apple does being found pointless and trivial compared to what everybody knows they should have done.....

Just out of curiosity, what's the big hardware update that people would have wanted? I have to guess "bigger screen" is pretty much the whole of it, since cosmetics can't really be that big of a deal.

Thinner? Sure, I guess.

Anyway, for my money the much faster system hardware, much better camera, A5 only Siri stuff plus various iOS 5 enhancements are a great upgrade and are all much more desirable than random cosmetic changes or a slightly bigger screen.

Folks dismissing Siri as "voice command" or "voice dialing" and who think that Android "already does that": no, it doesn't. It's a pretty big deal, an AI based voice interaction system that parses natural English and attempts to discern what you "mean", not just match a phrase to a library.
  • Reply 454 of 641
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdonjr1950 View Post

When I buy something new, I don't want to be asked if it is the old model.

I get asked if my iPad is an iPad 2 all the time. Que sera sera.
  • Reply 455 of 641
    After seeing the new iPhone 4S, I have one thing to say: no thanks. Except for the upgraded CPU/GPU, 8 megapixel image sensor, and the combo CDMA/GSM chipset, it's to the iPhone 4 what the iPhone 3GS was to the iPhone 3--an incremental improvement.

This is going to make HTC and Samsung smartphones that run Android 2.3 (and soon 4.0) and Windows Phone 7.5 ("Mango") look really attractive in comparison.
  • Reply 456 of 641
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The beauty of choice. What was stopping Apple putting out a tweaked iPhone 4 for those who don't want anything new, and a much larger iPhone 5 to compete with the Nexus Prime and the other high end stuff? Give people the option, choice is good. As it stands Apple seems happy to occupy the middle ground, leaving the high end stuff to Google.

But that's not what Apple does - giving too many options. And they are doing well with that approach, noone can argue that.

This makes sense for me. For iPhone 4 users it is anyway too early to upgrade. This is for 3Gs and 3G users and for them, difference will be significant.

I was hoping for case redesign - have seen a few 4 with cracked rear glass and I'm personally not finding it that good looking anyway... but everything else is in line with my expectations.
  • Reply 457 of 641
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

After seeing the new iPhone 4S, I have one thing to say: no thanks. Except for the upgraded CPU/GPU, 8 megapixel image sensor, and the combo CDMA/GSM chipset, it's to the iPhone 4 what the iPhone 3GS was to the iPhone 3--an incremental improvement.

So except for the ENTIRE EFFING PHONE it's the same. Got it.
  • Reply 458 of 641
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

This is going to make HTC and Samsung smartphones that run Android 2.3 (and soon 4.0) and Windows Phone 7.5 ("Mango") look really attractive in comparison.

They're all incremental improvements. What you're saying is that you're too superficial to see past a case change so you can hold the positional good over others. I guess that's okay, if that's how one wishes to buy products, but I prefer to look at the device itself. This is a major change for the future of the iPhone whether and others want to believe it or not.
  • Reply 459 of 641
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    I'm trying to remember if people reacted this way to the 3GS. It looks identical to the 3G after all. The interesting part is that most people keep their iPhones in cases anyway. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of them in a case really. Do people really think that other people are that observant or really care which phone you carry? I owned the 3GS and never felt the need to clarify that it was not the 3G. Doesn't it matter much more that it does what you need and want it to do? If I was Apple and I read a lot of these posts I'd be tempted just to redesign the case every year and not waste time and money on making the damned thing work better!

Really what Apple should do is stop having these big events to announce upgraded existing products. Clearly people get way out of whack with their expectations because of them!
  • Reply 460 of 641
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I think this explains most of the consternation out there. People want to have the "new hotness" that is distinguished from last years "new hotness". With so many 4's in the world no one would know you have the 4S from look at the phone itself.

I could give a rats ass myself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The upgrade is a significant improvement. Nonetheless, I am disappointed. The iPhone 4 in the family works great. I can get iOS 5 for free and benefit from most of the improvements.

I am vain, but I am not going to tie myself to a 2 Year Contract to have a phone that looks identical to the current one. I want other people to be as excited by my purchase as myself. Nobody will even know I bought a new phone.

I was going to buy a new iPhone to replace the aging 3Gs in the household. Instead, I will buy my friend's iPhone 4 that he will not need anymore as he is going to Sprint. I will unlock that.