Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 481 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Why is the fact that someone has had an Apple product fail an issue for you?

I have had 50% of my Macs have serious hardware failures, one required three repair trips to fix. I know plenty of other people of other people that have had Apple products fail, it is very possible, just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it hasn't happened to someone else.

Why don't you, and others experiencing 50% failure rates, stop buying Apple products if they are so defective.

It sure would be easier, for all of us, than the constant whinging about it on Apple forums... Or is that your real agenda?
  • Reply 482 of 641
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But it didn't take Apple 16 months to announce the 3GS, a iPhone 4S announced in June would've received adulations but most assumed a 4 month delay meant a new form factor and are thusly disappointed.

Had to make an account to agree with this point. Here is my whole problem with the release-

Would I have loved the same form but a slightly bigger screen, sure.

Would I have liked NFC, sure.

But that's not important. The bottom line is:

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED IN JUNE!

That's why people SHOULD be upset. Before people say the extra 4 months were so Apple could make everything "right"- let me counter. Apple had OSX Lion, ok. Apple had iCloud. Ok. Apple had iOS 5. Ok.

But apple is the 2nd largest company in the US. This is what makes apple great- doing the impossible. Making a roll out like that in a year- oh yeah guys, and while I'm at it I'm gonna introduce a new phone, the iPhone 4S this June too w/ iOS 5 and iCloud. BOOM. that's unexpected.

Instead, we get what is expected. Not apple like, sorry. Not one person thinks "wow"... They think "ok". That's the problem.

And for the average consumer, who held onto their iPhone 3GS, and waited for the extra few months, are the upset ones. Otherwise, they could have been using FaceTime, retina display, and the A4 for almost a year.

Just my opinion.
  • Reply 483 of 641
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mode make'n enemies... Pity!

Ah, that would explain why I can't find my name here when I search. They're all changing it to make fun of me because they don't have positions of their own to support.

ⓐⓝⓓ ⓦⓞⓤⓛⓓⓝⓣ ⓣⓗⓔ ⓐⓓ⊝ⓗⓞⓜ ⓢⓗⓡⓘⓛⓛ ⓑⓔ ⓦⓐⓡⓡⓐⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓞⓝⓛⓨ ⓘⓕ ⓘ ⓣⓨⓟⓔⓓ ⓛⓘⓚⓔ ⓣⓗⓘⓢ?

Or something equally annoying?
  • Reply 484 of 641
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED IN JUNE!

Where are your facts to back this up as being feasible? Where is your evidence that the quad-band GSM/quad-band UMTS(HSUPA,HSDPA,HSPA+/dual-band CDMA/dual-band CDMA2000 world mode chip was ready for in terms of HW and firmware development? How about all the other radical changes made to the device.
  • Reply 485 of 641
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Why is the fact that someone has had an Apple product fail an issue for you?

I have had 50% of my Macs have serious hardware failures, one required three repair trips to fix. I know plenty of other people of other people that have had Apple products fail, it is very possible, just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it hasn't happened to someone else.

That's why someone invented something called statistics. Your experience could be atypical. The guy who claimed that he's bought tons of Apple devices with only one failure could be atypical. But when you look at the entire market, Apple is always at or very near the top in terms of quality. And it's always on top for customer satisfaction. THAT is what matters.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If you already have an iPhone 4 why would you like to upgrade it anyway? is it that bad?

I have an iPhone 4 and it's great, but I plan to upgrade, anyway. Of course, it's not going to cost me $700 like the other person claimed. I'll be upgrading for $200. And selling my old one on eBay for around $300. Since I was planning to extend my contract, anyway, I'll upgrade to a new phone with faster processor, much better camera, better wireless, and so on -and pocketing $100.

If the whiners want to stick with their old phone rather than pocketing $100 for upgrading, that's their choice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

After seeing the new iPhone 4S, I have one thing to say: no thanks. Except for the upgraded CPU/GPU, 8 megapixel image sensor, and the combo CDMA/GSM chipset, it's to the iPhone 4 what the iPhone 3GS was to the iPhone 3--an incremental improvement.

This is going to make HTC and Samsung smartphones that run Android 2.3 (and soon 4.0) and Windows Phone 7.5 ("Mango") look really attractive in comparison.

ROTFLMAO. Sorry, but you clearly don't understand market differentiation. The people who are likely to buy an iPhone are not likely to buy Android 2.3 phones. Other than, of course, the ones that Samsung make to look exactly like the iPhone to fool unsuspecting customers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I think this explains most of the consternation out there. People want to have the "new hotness" that is distinguished from last years "new hotness". With so many 4's in the world no one would know you have the 4S from look at the phone itself.

I could give a rats ass myself.

That's the funny thing. These complainers accuse Apple and Apple fans of focusing solely on appearance rather than function. They claim that Apple fans buy only because it's shiny and pretty. Yet when Apple releases a product that's all about functionality, they complain, anyway. Bottom line is that there is a large group of people who would complain about anything Apple did. If Apple included a check for $10,000 and a round-the-world airline ticket in every iPhone box, these people would complain that it's not $20,000 and a pair of tickets.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

You're right. It's not the same as the old model. It has worse battery life.

Actually, other than standby time, I believe that the new one is very comparable to the old one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Honestly, camera meg pixels do not equate to better image quality. Many camera enthusiast sites were nervous about Apple ditching its current camera for the 8 meg pixel camera because most if not all 8 meg pixel cameras perform(ed) poorly in low light. Sony supposedly developed some technology to improve upon that, but whether it was successful is debatable. When introducing the original iPhone 4, Jobs talked about the mega pixel issue and mentioned Apple wasn't going to focus on mega pixels, but instead camera quality. By all accounts, the iPhone 4 Camera is excellent for a camera phone. The jury is out on whether Apple scarified image quality to be able to advertise more mega pixels with this update. My point is just because somethings specs are higher does not mean it is better. That is what some marketing folks want you to think.

The difference is that Apple didn't simply increase the MP count. They also increased the light gathering capacity. There are 60% more pixels and 73% more light gathering capacity, so there's about 10% more light gathering per pixel than the old phone. That counts for something. On the video side, it now does 1080p and has image stabilization - which is also a big plus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by richwl View Post

That I want to say actually in defense of those not happy with this upgrade. Apple really can't expect to have things both ways. If you build up hype to the degree you do for your "magical" products, you have to expect this kind of backlash when you underwhelm people. No question that the media overhypes these events all on their own. But Apple also encourages it. Frankly I found most of today's event as boring was watching paint rust. We've all heard Apple pat themselves on the back time and time again and in my opinion too much time was dedicated to that today. I do, however, obviously think that the iPhone 4S will end up being a huge success.

Really? Care to point to a single case where Apple hyped it? They sent out postcards to a few invited guests - very low key postcards saying "let's talk iPhone". Apple didn't do anything else. So stop accusing Apple of hyping the product. They were entirely silent on the subject.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wilmnc View Post

Wow. A lot of hate for a phone you don't have to buy. Would you have responded similarly if Apple had released the 4S today and called it "iPhone 5?". Or would that have made it amazing?

They haven't updated the Macbook Pro's outward appearance (significantly) in 3 plus years. We keep on buying them.

They could skip iPhone 5 and go directly to 6. There was never an iPhone 2.

iPhone

iPhone 3G

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4

iPhone 4S

Maybe using numbers was a mistake. Maybe they should have stayed with the simple naming scheme they've used with their computers for years.

They should have called it the iPhone 1000. That would make it the best phone on the planet according to these people who can't see past the name.
  • Reply 486 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That makes no sense how would every app prioritize or choose the sort order with every other app. That is something that the OS would need to do.

Android does support widgets on notification bar. From what I can see its not by default. And it doesn't appear to be something that is straight forward to do.

I don't think anyone lying. Android is hundreds of different phones with different user experiences. Its impossible to say anyone thing that applies to them all.

That makes no sense how would every app prioritize or choose the sort order with every other app. That is something that the OS would need to do.

I apologize that that doesn't make sense to you, but just because you don't understand doesn't mean it's impossible. Apps let you choose whether or not you want the notification to show up, how important they are, and often time what info you want in your notification.

Android does support widgets on notification bar. From what I can see its not by default. And it doesn't appear to be something that is straight forward to do.

This is an absolute lie. Please, stop regurgitating something some blog told you somewhere. It's ENTIRELY common that weather apps have a widget at the top of your notifications. You have no idea what you're talking about, sorry. I have a stock widget RIGHT NOW in my notifications that updates my stock (including the Apple stock that I plan to buy more of while it's "low" ).

I don't think anyone lying. Android is hundreds of different phones with different user experiences. Its impossible to say anyone thing that applies to them all.

That's why I was saying do not suddenly say that every Android phone has poor battery life, that's a lie.
  • Reply 487 of 641
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Computer dictation applications used by physicians are still LIGHT years away from being truly efficient. Physicians will dictate and then almost always have someone go back and check the work for errors. My point?

The complexities of dictating complex medical language, hell, everyday language, is TOUGH to do....

Ask anyone who knows anything about programing voice recognition software...I have...will tell you it's not for lack of programming prowess, but for lack of computer processing power that hinders an application's effectiveness in "understanding" language.

I suspect that Siri integration into the heart of iOS will garner a very, very useable and powerful user experience.

Why?

The available commands and resulting actions carried out by iOS will be useful and powerful.

A beautiful marriage of hardware and software.

Something we've come to expect from Apple.
  • Reply 488 of 641
    I don't know if it's been said already, but to me, this release and subsequent lowerings of prices on previous models like the 3gs and 4 makes perfect sense. The hardware geek screams NOOOOO, bah, meh. And, it is a big MEH to me sort of. I wanted the dame thing to have a bigger screen or shoot flipping lasers or -something-.

But this goes after sales. Apple realizes android is killing because they are great phones and people can get them cheaper (mostly). There's the higher end, and the lower in android. This, doesn't require apple to release a dumbed down phone.

Well, it makes sense to me anyway. Watch as sales go up.
  • Reply 489 of 641
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

I don't know if it's been said already, but to me, this release and subsequent lowerings of prices on previous models like the 3gs and 4 makes perfect sense. The hardware geek screams NOOOOO, bah, meh. And, it is a big MEH to me sort of. I wanted the dame thing to have a bigger screen or shoot flipping lasers or -something-.

But this goes after sales. Apple realizes android is killing because they are great phones and people can get them cheaper (mostly). There's the higher end, and the lower in android. This, doesn't require apple to release a dumbed down phone.

Well, it makes sense to me anyway. Watch as sales go up.

Yup, you sir, "get it".
  • Reply 490 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Where are your facts to back this up as being feasible? Where is your evidence that the quad-band GSM/quad-band UMTS(HSUPA,HSDPA,HSPA+/dual-band CDMA/dual-band CDMA2000 world mode chip was ready for in terms of HW and firmware development? How about all the other radical changes made to the device.

Where is your facts to back up it not being feasible? Neither of us are in charge of purchasing at apple, so we'll never know.

But 8mp cameras, a5 processor, 64gb, and... Well, that's it, were available (and hardly "radical"). Let's not pretend they were holding out until October so they Didnt have to make two different phones (which sold- and profited in drones).

As a stockholder- if you're gonna postpone another quarter and a half for a product release, you better have radical. This isn't. I'm just saying it's 4 months too late. 4 months earlier everyone would've done cartwheels. Apple and all their blog-buddies screwed the pooch here.
  • Reply 491 of 641
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    The reaction to this release demonstrates just how many utter fools there are out there.

It's not a different shape, so it's not a new phone. It's therefore 'a fail'.

Simply incredible that these people have the grey matter to get dressed and brush their teeth in the morning. That's assuming they do, of course.

If you want an HTC Astonishing or a Samsung Galaxy S II XRI Plus 3D Infinite then go and get one, but don't call this utterly logical update to the world's best selling smartphone a fail because it isn't three feet across with an SLI graphics card and a 3 minute battery life.

Siri looks VERY impressive. If it works this well in the wild it will be a bigger new feature than FaceTime and as big as multitasking. Those things were enough to make the iPhone 4 outrageously successful.

Heck it could be simply revolutionary. Its legacy may outlast this entire generation of phones. That's the technology that will get better and better and be our primary input for our computers in years to come. I think that's worthy of applause, not insane criticism. I wonder when we'll see Siri in OSX. We only have 300 years to get this thing ready to run the Enterprise...

As a photographer I am very glad to see the camera get this attention. Fandroids go on and on about specs. Having '8MP camera' on a bullet point in a brochure tells you nothing of the quality of the shots you can expect from the phone. This is what Apple do. They make each of their features plain better than the competition's. It's not just an 8MP camera, it's an f/2.4 lens with a large backlit CMOS sensor. It's a genuinely good camera.

Fast camera startup, VERY high quality optics and ISP make a real impact on the enjoyment you will get out of the phone. NFC or support for non-existent LTE networks do not.

Apple stay focused and make the simple things great. That's why they're the leaders at the moment and why they're making huge profits while the manufacturers of these Android monsterphones that people think Apple should be copying are not. Why on EARTH would Apple copy their competition at this point? Madness.
  • Reply 492 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

The reaction to this release demonstrates just how many utter fools there are out there.

It's not a different shape, so it's not a new phone. It's therefore 'a fail'.

Dude- it's not about a new phone and being a fail. Some people think that- fine, whatever. My beef is why was this not brought out in June. There's no excuse for it.
  • Reply 493 of 641
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

I apologize that that doesn't make sense to you, but just because you don't understand doesn't mean it's impossible. Apps let you choose whether or not you want the notification to show up, how important they are, and often time what info you want in your notification.

How does an app decide that its notification is more or less important than any other apps notification? How would an app know what other apps are on the phone to make this determination?

Quote:

This is an absolute lie. Please, stop regurgitating something some blog told you somewhere. It's ENTIRELY common that weather apps have a widget at the top of your notifications. You have no idea what you're talking about, sorry. I have a stock widget RIGHT NOW in my notifications that updates my stock (including the Apple stock that I plan to buy more of while it's "low" ).

You didn't address exactly how you get widgets onto the notification bar. Which is the point I raised.
  • Reply 494 of 641
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

The reason I didn't sell off my iPhone 4 was because I was afraid that they would update the design and I love the design of the 4. I did not want a phone with a screen larger than 3.5" (I think the dimensions of the screen and phone are perfect).

Damn.

Here here! I agree completely. Personally, for my tastes, they couldn't design a better 'form factor'. I think this is a great update!
  • Reply 495 of 641
    Quote:

Where is your facts to back up it not being feasible? Neither of us are in charge of purchasing at apple, so we'll never know.

But 8mp cameras, a5 processor, 64gb, and... Well, that's it, were available. Let's not pretend they were holding out until October so they Didnt have to make two different phones (which sold- and profited in drones)

It's not position to defend, it's yours. You claimed ? WITH YOUR ANNOYING ALL CAPITALIZED TEXT ? that Apple could have made this exact iPhone for 20M+(?) users for the first quarter back in June. Not me. Therefore it's your responsibility to supply proof that they could have, not mine.

I'm simply curious as to how you are so fucking certain, without a shadow of a doubt, that Apple is somehow screwing you over and helping themselves out by not releasing a product at the same time each year. You honestly think that makes sense? (I can't answer that one for you either)

I supplied some ideas you could consider that no other phones has or ever had, especially such a small smartphone to help you forge a path to a more objective and rational viewpoint. Instead you decided to get defensive and find your proof for you.

PS: I always wonder how people like you function when you can't take even the simplest responsibility in life and get so flustered when you're called out for your jackassary.
  • Reply 496 of 641
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    Thanks but I'll stop when I'm ready to stop; not when you tell me to. But relax because we're on the same side here. I love Apple products and I run my own Apple consulting firm. But if you think they don't hype their products simply because they don't advertise them prior to release you're sadly mistaken. They are master marketers and using words like "magical" and "revolutionary" as regularly as they do in reference to their products generally raises expectations for upcoming products as well no? Hell, the fact that they have such big events for upgrades to existing products is a huge part of the Apple hype machine. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's very smart to do. But there is bound to be a backlash for it if you don't wow people every time. And I think they'll sell record numbers of the 4S regardless of this temporary uproar. Because honestly, most people don't care as much as we do and don't ever visit these blogs!
  • Reply 497 of 641
    Quote:

There's no excuse for it.

I like how you think you know that for certain.

So Tim and Scott were just snorting with barely-contained laughter backstage at WWDC while they sent iMessages back and forth to one another on their production-ready iPhone 4S'?

While I'd personally love to see something like that, it's abject nonsense.
  • Reply 498 of 641
    This is a depressing release, I really hoped for an iPhone 5 with a different case design. I was going to blog a review about the new phone but since it's basically last year's phone here's last years blog post I wrote about it:

http://fifthdecade.wordpress.com/201...-the-iphone-4/
  • Reply 499 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

This is a depressing release

Other than fulfilling every single rumor except NFC and a larger screen.

Quote:

I really hoped for an iPhone 5 with a different case design.

So put it in a case that changes its design. Boom.

Quote:

I was going to blog a review about the new phone but since it's basically last year's phone here's last years blog post I wrote about it:

And I was going to give you ad revenue, but I'll never ever go to your site now.
  • Reply 500 of 641
    1) I wonder what foolish arguments all those people that were so sure having an external antenna on a phone would result in mass recalls, then a faster than usual upgrade cycle are now coming up with.

2) The iPhone 4 at 16 months old was already the most popular smartphone, this just made it even harder for others to skim a profit from the Apple-dominated handset market.