Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 501 of 641
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's not position to defend, it's yours. You claimed — WITH YOUR ANNOYING ALL CAPITALIZED TEXT — that Apple could have made this exact iPhone for 20M+(?) users for the first quarter back in June. Not me. Therefore it's your responsibility to supply proof that they could have, not mine.

I'm simply curious as to how you are so fucking certain, without a shadow of a doubt, that Apple is somehow screwing you over and helping themselves out by not releasing a product at the same time each year. You honestly think that makes sense? (I can't answer that one for you either)

I supplied some ideas you could consider that no other phones has or ever had, especially such a small smartphone to help you forge a path to a more objective and rational viewpoint. Instead you decided to get defensive and find your proof for you.

PS: I always wonder how people like you function when you can't take even the simplest responsibility in life and get so flustered when you're called out for your jackassary.

I'm not flustered or upset in the slightest. But other than the world phone aspect (which, honestly, there might not have been the technology or there was, but I'm too lazy to go look), there isn't anything that they didn't have already.

8mp camera- np

A5- iPad

Antenna- exact same as Verizon (at glance at least)

64gb- ok

So like I said- let's not pretend they were holding out just because of the cdm chip. Couldve been that, but unlikely. The more logical thought was they were waiting on the software- and let's be honest- iOS 5, Lion, and iCloud all in a year is a ton- but the phone should have delivered as well if they were waiting this long. Everything they had to make this phone was available. So I'm assuming it was the software. Like I said in my original all caps annoying post- they could have gotten "wow"- but instead they get "ok...." because of when it's released.

And why is it that if anyone disagrees with Apple, were idiots. Seriously man- im an apple whore, but I also can think outside of the ecosystem.

And just for my own edification (I must have missed it)- what was the simplest responsibility in life you gave me? Because I'd like to do that for a living.
  • Reply 502 of 641
    I?m glad Apple didn?t jump on the bull**** 4G marketing bandwagon. HSPA+ is not 4G.

LTE is 4G. It will be awesome.
  • Reply 503 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

I don't know if it's been said already, but to me, this release and subsequent lowerings of prices on previous models like the 3gs and 4 makes perfect sense. The hardware geek screams NOOOOO, bah, meh. And, it is a big MEH to me sort of. I wanted the dame thing to have a bigger screen or shoot flipping lasers or -something-.

But this goes after sales. Apple realizes android is killing because they are great phones and people can get them cheaper (mostly). There's the higher end, and the lower in android. This, doesn't require apple to release a dumbed down phone.

Well, it makes sense to me anyway. Watch as sales go up.

And YET, it's still always among the top of the pack on those features, even though there's normally some phone with something a bit "better" 2 months after an iPhone is released, thanks to the "four-androids-each-month" effect, and really is THE leader if you average it out (since most Android phones that have something ahead also got weaknesses such as battery). That's a winning strategy they have

Now that I mentioned it, quite amazing how despite the A5 Apple managed to squeeze a bit more battery.
  • Reply 504 of 641
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

But this goes after sales. Apple realizes android is killing because they are great phones and people can get them cheaper (mostly). There's the higher end, and the lower in android. This, doesn't require apple to release a dumbed down phone.

The problem, tho, is not releasing a dumbed down phone. The problem, instead, is that Apple did not release a superphone. Their current hardware is mid-range.

That is what is disappointing the faithful. Yes, you are correct - Apple will increase profits.

But that too is a distressing aspect. Apple used to be cutting edge, but they have discovered that the profit sweet spot is midrange. And that does not bode well for the future if you are an enthusiast.
  • Reply 505 of 641
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Where is your facts to back up it not being feasible? Neither of us are in charge of purchasing at apple, so we'll never know.

But 8mp cameras, a5 processor, 64gb, and... Well, that's it, were available (and hardly "radical"). Let's not pretend they were holding out until October so they Didnt have to make two different phones (which sold- and profited in drones).

As a stockholder- if you're gonna postpone another quarter and a half for a product release, you better have radical. This isn't. I'm just saying it's 4 months too late. 4 months earlier everyone would've done cartwheels. Apple and all their blog-buddies screwed the pooch here.

Quote:

Dude- it's not about a new phone and being a fail. Some people think that- fine, whatever. My beef is why was this not brought out in June. There's no excuse for it.

Let's think this through.

Apple would have benefited by releasing this phone earlier. There is no incentive for them to delay.

They had to wait until now to release it.

That means that one of the following must be true:

1. You know more than Apple about what they could have done and Apple delayed for no good reason.

2. Apple had a reason to delay and just didn't bother telling you.

Which is more likely?
  • Reply 506 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I wonder what foolish arguments all those people that were so sure having an external antenna on a phone would result in mass recalls, then a faster than usual upgrade cycle are now coming up with.

2) The iPhone 4 at 16 months old was already the most popular smartphone, this just made it even harder for others to skim a profit from the Apple-dominated handset market.

"apple dominated"

try again
  • Reply 507 of 641
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

"apple dominated"

try again

You're not being a very good troll. The trick is to not contradict absolutely everything you see, because eventually you'll be so blatantly wrong that no one will ever listen to you again.

The iPhone 4 is the best selling phone on the planet. The two and a half year old iPhone 3GS is the second best selling phone on the planet. Ahead of every single Android model.

Apple has over 50% of the mobile industry's profits. Only selling two models of phone at once.

Apple has the highest customer satisfaction by forty percentage points in EVERY poll you see.

Apple has the lowest return rate of any phone manufacturer.

Need I go on?
  • Reply 508 of 641
    alewalew Posts: 15member
    does anyone know if the 4s will continue using a microsim?
  • Reply 509 of 641
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Dude- it's not about a new phone and being a fail. Some people think that- fine, whatever. My beef is why was this not brought out in June. There's no excuse for it.

how do you know how long it took to fit the new components and software to this device, the new active antenna hasn't been done before
  • Reply 510 of 641
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

how do you know how long it took to fit the new components and software to this device, the new active antenna hasn't been done before

There was a build-up of expectations because they took longer this time around. Presumably they had their own good reasons for this, but, as an outside observer, it seemed like they must be working on something really special. There are definitely some great features in iOS 5, but the hardware doesn't seem like a huge step forward. They already deployed the A5, so no big effort there. They didn't develop the camera itself. So, what took so long? Same case, same screen, processor they already used in the iPad, off-the-shelf camera. Makes no sense.

I'm actually quite surprised they stuck with the glass-backed case. I could see hanging onto it for one full product cycle because they didn't want to lose money on the fabrication, and as a point of pride, but two full product cycles seems like a bad decision.
  • Reply 511 of 641
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:

We can have no idea what forces may have made this an October release. Why assume the worst?

On a cynical note it may have been to maximise profit from the Verizon launch of the iPhone 4, but then why would Apple not say at the time 'there'll be no iPhone 5 this summer so feel free to buy your CDMA iPhones now'?

Far more likely to me is that with the iPod and iPhone converging more and more Apple have decided to shift the release to October for the holiday season. They now have the infrastructure to roll out a new iPhone internationally FAR faster than they did with the 3G in 2008. In reality, getting a phone before August or September was nigh-on impossible for many customers anyway.

Who knows, we'll find out next year if it's a regular thing. Stop assuming the worst, it's baseless and uncalled for. Not releasing this in the summer was not a crime.
  • Reply 512 of 641
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple has over 50% of the mobile industry's profits. Only selling two models of phone at once.

Well, now you'll have to say THREE models of phones at once...
  • Reply 513 of 641
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Well, now you'll have to say THREE models of phones at once...

That's okay. They'll just make more of the profits that way.
  • Reply 514 of 641
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

There was a build-up of expectations because they took longer this time around. Presumably they had their own good reasons for this, but, as an outside observer, it seemed like they must be working on something really special. There are definitely some great features in iOS 5, but the hardware doesn't seem like a huge step forward. They already deployed the A5, so no big effort there. They didn't develop the camera itself. So, what took so long? Same case, same screen, processor they already used in the iPad, off-the-shelf camera. Makes no sense.

So let's see. Who's more believable - some anonymous stranger on AI who says it doesn't make sense...or Apple which would obviously have benefited if they had gotten it out earlier, but weren't able to for some reason.

There are plenty of reasons why it might not have been possible. Software not ready yet. Not enough of some of the components. Trouble getting the antenna right. Delays in getting FCC approval. Any number of things. But clearly, there was a reason and all the whining in the world won't change that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

I'm actually quite surprised they stuck with the glass-backed case. I could see hanging onto it for one full product cycle because they didn't want to lose money on the fabrication, and as a point of pride, but two full product cycles seems like a bad decision.

Why? Lots of people like it-enough to make it the best selling phone out there (maybe the fastest selling phone of all time). Why change something that isn't broken?
  • Reply 515 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The problem, tho, is not releasing a dumbed down phone. The problem, instead, is that Apple did not release a superphone. Their current hardware is mid-range.

That is what is disappointing the faithful. Yes, you are correct - Apple will increase profits.

But that too is a distressing aspect. Apple used to be cutting edge, but they have discovered that the profit sweet spot is midrange. And that does not bode well for the future if you are an enthusiast.

I don't know about that. It isn't all just about features. Though I think apple has learned about features when they finally stopped having such a sucky camera by 3gs/4. It;s also about software. Both android and apple obviously have very compelling things to get the kind of marketshare both platforms have. But apple, thankfully and finally got us out of this ridiculous loop of how many megahertz or how much "em bees" your ram is (I've heard too many commercials where the announcer actually said, "em bee"...) who cares really, in the mainstream, where the money is.

There'll always be the really high end phones with crazy specs to play with every 2 months, but they don't sell as well by themselves (google phones). That isn't to say apple's phones aren't cutting edge, it just means cutting edge isn't necessarily hardware shooting lasers.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this voice thing.
  • Reply 516 of 641
    My guess right now is that Apple is now on a "crash" program to get the iPhone 5 ready by May 2012. And it has to be a phone that blows past all the competition with features like:

1. 4.0 to 4.3" IPS LCD touchscreen panel for easier readability.

2. Built-in NFC support compatible with the Sony FeliCa standard, since NFC payment systems found in eastern Asia mostly conform to FeliCa specs.

3. LTE support using a new, very power-efficient chipset that supports GSM, CDMA and LTE all at the same time.
  • Reply 517 of 641
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

You know, in respect of hardware, the phone probably could have been released earlier. This release though is as much about iOS 5 as the phone and so, it was quite possibly software maturity that has led to this release date.

Who knows what other factors might have influenced this release, such as battery technology. My understanding is that Apple invests quite heavily in battery research. The new phone is faster (which with CMOS technology equates linearly with power consumption for a given die size/line width) and yet will provide longer talk time, according to Apple's web site. Every improvement in hardware performance would have had implications for battery life. Perhaps therefore, battery performance was a constraining issue.

Depending on the actual performance and benefits of Siri, of the camera (which required an improved lens) and the A5, this phone could prove to be a vast improvement on the iPhone 4.

All the best.
  • Reply 518 of 641
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So let's see. Who's more believable - some anonymous stranger on AI who says it doesn't make sense...or Apple which would obviously have benefited if they had gotten it out earlier, but weren't able to for some reason.

Like I said, I'm sure they had their reasons. But, now they have another problem on their hands.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why? Lots of people like it-enough to make it the best selling phone out there (maybe the fastest selling phone of all time). Why change something that isn't broken?

If you drop an iPhone 4 you're almost twice as likely to suffer fracturing than dropping an iPhone 3G from the same height. The reason is simple: twice as much glass, twice as much surface area, twice as likely to break. Bad design. They should have ditched it.
  • Reply 519 of 641
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

My guess right now is that Apple is now on a "crash" program to get the iPhone 5 ready by May 2012. And it has to be a phone that blows past all the competition

They probably already have the prototype ready. It just may be that tear drop shaped larger screen thing we kept seeing. Don't tell me you don't think they're not already working on it. If you watch the keynote for the original, Steve said "I've been waiting for 2-1/2 years to show you this".

They made a real cool upgrade. Most people don't read the rumors, so it will be fine. My cousin just bought an iPhone 4 yesterday. Yesterday! I told him he was crazy, but he didn't care. It was newer than his 3G iPhone and he loves it. Most people think like that.
  • Reply 520 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vadania View Post

they made a real cool upgrade. Most people don't read the rumors, so it will be fine. My cousin just bought an iphone 4 yesterday. Yesterday! I told him he was crazy, but he didn't care. It was newer than his 3g iphone and he loves it. Most people think like that.