Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 521 of 641
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The problem, tho, is not releasing a dumbed down phone. The problem, instead, is that Apple did not release a superphone. Their current hardware is mid-range.

That is what is disappointing the faithful. Yes, you are correct - Apple will increase profits.

But that too is a distressing aspect. Apple used to be cutting edge, but they have discovered that the profit sweet spot is midrange. And that does not bode well for the future if you are an enthusiast.

If you'd actually READ the thread, the faithful are NOT the ones who are disappointed so don't speak for us. Let everyone else release their unfinished, unpolished crap, not my Apple. I know that what I have works, and works extremely well with minimal effort on my part. Apple is most concerned with the total over-all experience and prove that they're successful in that goal by unmatched consumer satisfaction, me being one of them. The "you're only as good as your last superphone release" mentality just proves that you constantly need to be wowed and stimulated by the super-ultra latest and greatest thing, which is a very immature mentality. Never satisfied with what you have, always wanting better and more.....NOW!

Apple continues to be on track with their business model, which is the same business model many, many other successful companies use. BMW and Lexus are two examples of companies that keep the same outside "shell" of their cars for 4-5 years while improving what's "under the hood" and the overall driver's experience.

Remember, Mr. Rabbit.....slow and steady wins the race.

My $17,000 investment in AAPL 13 years ago has made me a millionaire today. Talk to me about the same gripes you have today, say, 3 years from now.......when I'm a 2 millionaire and I'll maintain the same position.

As a shareholder and enthusiast, I am very, very happy with the direction Apple is going.
  • Reply 522 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The problem, tho, is not releasing a dumbed down phone. The problem, instead, is that Apple did not release a superphone. Their current hardware is mid-range.

That is what is disappointing the faithful. Yes, you are correct - Apple will increase profits.

But that too is a distressing aspect. Apple used to be cutting edge, but they have discovered that the profit sweet spot is midrange. And that does not bode well for the future if you are an enthusiast.

We can start to feel the post Steve Jobs era - getting lesser and lesser innovation in Apple.

They took 16month to come out this iPhone 4S... they could have done better.

I am a hardcore Apple fans but this is a total disappointment. 16months and this is the best they can do? OMG...

Yes, they introduce new camera, 1080p video recording, blah blah blah....this is not innovation... this is something that most of the smartphones on the market already has....not to mentioned iPhone 4S not even support 4G.

As for the voice assistant, this is not from their own technology... it is from acquisition of SIRI and they call it innovation....OMG what are these guys thinking?

The way I look at it, iPhone 4 user will stick to iPhone 4 and new customer will buy iPhone 4 because they are cheaper. 5MP camera and 8MP camera, it is not really different for the naked eyes.

APPLE - WAKE UP! If not you will end up like the fate of Nokia........
  • Reply 523 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple007 View Post

We can start to feel the post Steve Jobs era - getting lesser and lesser innovation in Apple.

Blah blah blah etc. etc. etc. blah blah

APPLE - WAKE UP! If not you will end up like the fate of Nokia........

Post Steve Jobs?

He's the Chairman.

Wake up!
  • Reply 524 of 641
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think new buyers and those upgrading are going for the Android 4G phones in huge numbers. Take a look at the reported top 10 selling android phones. None are inexpensive and more than half are advertised as. . . 4G.

It's a better selling point than you give it credit for.

http://blendblogger.com/2011/09/05/t...d-cell-phones/

How do you separate out what is driving the sales? Is it because of hot phone of the month? Newest phone of the month? 3D? Big screen? Dual core?

I don't disagree that LTE - for all intents and purposes, LTE is the only "4G" worth considering - is a nice driver of phone sales. I definitely disagree that it makes a breaks a device. It's just one of many tradeoffs and factors in a buying decision.

Also, the blendblogger article does not disseminate the source of the data. Here look at this list of top selling phones based on accessory sales:

10 Best Seller Mobile Phone in June 2011:

1. Apple iPhone 4

2. Samsung Galaxy S II

3. HTC Sensation

4. Nokia 3720 Classic

5. Samsung Xcover 271

6. Nokia E52

7. Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc

8. HTC HD Desire

9. Nokia C5

Not many "LTE" phones on that list are there?

Or how about this analysis from June:

Apple iPhone Leads, But Android Gaining, Says Morgan Keegan

McCourt notes that the iPhone has held up at Verizon despite a spate of ?4G? phones: ?We had assumed that Verizon?s 4G launches would slow down iPhone demand, but that was not evident in the stores we spoke with. Overall, we believe iPhone momentum remains strong at Verizon.?
  • Reply 525 of 641
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Let everyone else release their unfinished, unpolished crap, not my Apple.

As a shareholder and enthusiast, I am very, very happy with the direction Apple is going.

I'm sure that you are!
  • Reply 526 of 641
    Quote:

BMW and Lexus are two examples of companies that keep the same outside "shell" of their cars for 4-5 years while improving what's "under the hood" and the overall driver's experience.

OK, here's an extension of the car metaphor:

"We gave you a more powerful engine, even though the old engine was pretty much good enough, and now you get 1/3 less MPG, even when you're just driving around town. We strapped this new fuel hungry engine into the same body as last year; the one that is twice as likely to explode on impact compared to the body design from two years back."

Quote:

Remember, Mr. Rabbit.....slow and steady wins the race.

Not in the tech world. In the tech world slow and steady gets your arse handed to you.
  • Reply 527 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

OK, here's an extension of the car metaphor:

"We gave you a more powerful engine, even though the old engine was pretty much good enough, and now you get 1/3 less MPG, even when you're just driving around town. We strapped this new fuel hungry engine into the same body as last year; the one that is twice as likely to explode on impact compared to the body design from two years back."...

What on Earth are you talking about?
  • Reply 528 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Dude- it's not about a new phone and being a fail. Some people think that- fine, whatever. My beef is why was this not brought out in June. There's no excuse for it.

Possibly, Apple was trying to keep Samsung from copying Apple's design and IP????

... And what's magic about June... Why not March? ...really should have been last August, 'cause I wanted one for my birthday.

First rule of shopping... you have to buy what's available!
  • Reply 529 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

What on Earth are you talking about?

A5 processor = fuel hungry engine. 1/3 less standby time compared to iPhone 4.

iPhone 4 case = twice as likely to shatter when dropped because of glass back.
  • Reply 530 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Not really making me think anything except what a stupid analogy. So based on your previous post, you're saying the iPhone is overpowered and the body was more important thing to change?

the body would have been the more important thing to change, after 16 months... do you not also feel at least slightly that that is a bit long between product updates for a speed bump?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

NOT changing the body is the best move Apple could make. Production lines are expensive and time consuming to build out. With the lines built and all of the kinks worked out they were able to focus on the guts and the software more and NOT waste their heavy investment int he production lines. C'mon. If guys like you only ran Apple, Right?

Yeah, for a nice big corporation. tsk tsk

where's the magic?
  • Reply 531 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

My guess right now is that Apple is now on a "crash" program to get the iPhone 5 ready by May 2012. And it has to be a phone that blows past all the competition with features like:

1. 4.0 to 4.3" IPS LCD touchscreen panel for easier readability.

2. Built-in NFC support compatible with the Sony FeliCa standard, since NFC payment systems found in eastern Asia mostly conform to FeliCa specs.

3. LTE support using a new, very power-efficient chipset that supports GSM, CDMA and LTE all at the same time.

...and so it begins... again.
  • Reply 532 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

the body would have been the more important thing to change, after 16 months... do you not also feel at least slightly that that is a bit long between product updates for a speed bump?

So you're ignoring the two years (otherwise known as 24 months) that the iPhone 3G case went without being changed? No one complained then, and the 3GS was a worse update to the 3G than the 4S was to the 4.
  • Reply 533 of 641
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdonjr1950 View Post

What Mr. Cook needed, what Apple needed,and what users wanted are not the same.

Mr. Cook needed something that would really blow the socks off the press just to show that Apple could out do Apple without Mr. Jobs. That did not happen. Mr. Cook will take a lot of grief over that.

No no no. If you develop a product to please the "press", you've failed. You build a product that best satisfies the customers of your product. The "press" are not those customers. Bloggers aren't really these customers. The population at large are those customers.

If they developed for the "press", the first iPhone would have had 3G, multitasking, 5 MP camera, MMS, copy-n-paste, and all the other features it didn't have, and subsequent iPhones didn't have. Rule number 1 is to always develop a product that satisfies the customers.

If in January, Apple reports blockbuster iPhone sales, Mr. Cook can pretty much stuff crow down everyone's throat. The financial report will be where he shows Apple could do it without SJP.

Quote:

What users wanted varies all over the spectrum as demonstrated by the responses to the upgrade in this thread. Whether enough users will be satisfied with the internal-only upgrade to buy millions of the new phones remains to be seen. In the long run that, and Apple's other products, will dictate long-term market trends not initial reaction to today's presentation.

Agreed.

Quote:

Personally, I wanted both a new form factor and the internal upgrades. When I buy something new, I don't want to be asked if it is the old model.

Er, isn't this kind of shallow?
  • Reply 534 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

A5 processor = fuel hungry engine. 1/3 less standby time compared to iPhone 4.

iPhone 4 case = twice as likely to shatter when dropped because of glass back.

The A5 is fuel hungry and yet talk time is up to 1 hour greater than for the iPhone 4, if specs are to be believed. Why did you pick standby? Why not rejoice in longer talk times!
  • Reply 535 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Proof of what? It seems significantly less units than the iPhone and uses cheaper components than the iPhone as noted by the displays, bother 960x680 Retina Displays, but the iPhone 4 is and IPS panel and the iPod Touch is a TN panel. That should be a red flag when comparing the two.

That means they would A) might be able to support them in the Touch over the iPhone if production was still low, 2) use slower and/or less power efficient chips because it's not a flagship device and a phone, a lifeline device, and 3) they might be able to get away with considerably worse data retention levels compared to what they offer in the iPhone line. Those are just the most common reasons that NAND might not be an ideal option despite having a single good spec about capacity.

somethings tells me they could have managed to get 64GB in there, it's a question of component costs...
  • Reply 536 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Why should they be any faster to replace the good design of a "sub-$300" device than they are the good design of a "$3000" device? And have you actually looked at the teardown views at iFixIt? Are you presenting a well-informed criticism of the iMac's lower bezel 'wasting space'? Additionally, you do realize you're hounding on the most elegant all-in-one design for a computer, right?

i'm slightly hounding, a little bit. Don't get me wrong I've owned many an iMac and they've always been almost perfect. A man can criticise no? I mean, they've got 27" of space back there, if they can make a macbook air, they can get rid of the bezel

jus sayin'
  • Reply 537 of 641
    Quote:

where's the magic?

Exactly. When I saw the iPad 2, I really wanted to get one, even though I had been skeptical of how useful it would be. All the little improvements really added up to a fantastic upgrade compared to the iPad 1. Little things like the way the smart cover automatically puts it to sleep, and acts as a stand. You can tell they really put some heart and soul into the iPad 2 upgrade.

This iPhone 4s upgrade seems like they're running out of ideas and just kind of punted. I'd actually be happier if they weren't chasing the specs. I don't really care about a faster processor or a better camera. Apple is at its best when it surprises and delights, and, I'm just not feelin' it here.
  • Reply 538 of 641
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:

somethings tells me they could have managed to get 64GB in there, it's a question of component costs...

I have to say I'll be disappointed if the next iPad doesn't have 128G. I love Apple products, but I'll rant if it doesn't have it.
  • Reply 539 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you're ignoring the two years (otherwise known as 24 months) that the iPhone 3G case went without being changed? No one complained then, and the 3GS was a worse update to the 3G than the 4S was to the 4.

I really didn't like the original, 3G or 3GS. I bought in for the iPhone 4.

To me, it's just that you see so many companies releasing so many phones, inferior perhaps, but some not so bad.

And then there's Apple, sitting on 80 billion dollas and they give us a spec bump, after 16 months.
  • Reply 540 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

The A5 is fuel hungry and yet talk time is up to 1 hour greater than for the iPhone 4, if specs are to be believed. Why did you pick standby? Why not rejoice in longer talk times!

I almost never use the iPhone as a phone, so I don't care about talk times. I do however, really like being able to go all weekend without needing to recharge. I am not playing games on the thing all day, and just want to be able to check my email, surf the web a little and that's about it. So, standby time is important to me.