iPhone 4S new 14.4 Mbps HSDPA 4G speeds won't help Americans

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This has been the problem all long and which people never caught onto in the US or refused to realize. The cell network is so screwed up, every company went down its own path to somehow differentiate themselves and in the end it does not work well. VZ is the worse they got in bed with QUALCOMM in hopes the world all go down the CDMA path which it did not, Beside the VZ in the US, Japan and Korea no one really uses CDMA, and Japan version does not work with VZ version isn't that cute.

Because the US providers went down these different paths they could not leverage anything so they all have expensive networks which they do not want to put any more money into to upgrade so the US is stuck behind the rest of the world. Honesty, this is becoming a trend in the US we lagging the work when we use to be out in front.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And yet people were clamoring for LTE. How foolish they all are.

The telecoms need shut down. Have the BBB do it, I don't care. If we ever want this country to be competitive again, we need to have higher standards and an iron fist on forced carrier hardware upgrades.

That's great. We'll shut down the US telecom companies and then where will we be? I guess we won't have mobile phone bills anymore as there won't be any mobile systems to use.

Believe it or not, there really was an industry that was nationalized in this country long ago and it turned out to be a financial disaster... the railroads about 90 years ago or so.
  • Reply 43 of 101
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Happy to be Canadian where we get 21Mbps and above.

I know what you mean. Count me among the disappointed with this update to the iPhone. The minimum I was expecting was that it would be able to take advantage of the 21 Mbps network here. The rest of the improvements are nice, but not nearly as important.
  • Reply 44 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why do you insist on being an Apple apologist in every single post?

lolwut.

Quote:

Are you trying to be the unofficial Apple customer service representative of AI even though you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about 90% of the time?

Um.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

That's great. We'll shut down the US telecom companies and then where will we be? I guess we won't have mobile phone bills anymore as there won't be any mobile systems to use.

I'll clarify. Tear apart the Big Four. Force them to become new companies. Force change on them.

Sorry for the ambiguity.

Quote:

Believe it or not, there really was an industry that was nationalized in this country long ago and it turned out to be a financial disaster... the railroads about 90 years ago or so.

Heavens, no. No nationalization. Just legal requirements for them to actually pretend to care about their customers.
  • Reply 45 of 101
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Too bad it doesn't support 1700mhz AWS. T-Mobile USA's 3.5G network would utilize the HSDPA.
  • Reply 46 of 101
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

What the? Dude, you smell like a paid shrill or salmon. Why? This thread has nothing about what you posted. Apple fanboy you aint'. Good try tho.

Um, there is only two hundred new features in iOS 5. Maybe you should go buy a 4G Droid and literally watch your battery life vaporize. Poof.

"My Biggest Disappointment was iMessage" LOL!!!! Epic Fail. Exactly what would have "rocked" you "fanboy"?

Seems like you've been outed. LOL

Well played sir!
  • Reply 47 of 101
    Quote:

No nationalization. Just legal requirements for them to actually pretend to care about their customers.

What on earth would that solve.

The solution is to auction more spectrum. Make it such that everyone gets to bid, smaller players get a bonus, but all carriers have 5 years to build out to 85% POP (95% after 8 yrs) or the government will force them to vacate the spectrum and they'll re-auction it. (and the carrier doesn't get once cent of their bid back, and no ways to reset the clock)

No more of this buy-and-sit strategy AT&T has used on their AWS spectrum. Echostar (Frontier wireless) still isn't using their 700MHz spectrum they bought, while Verizon's LTE network in 700MHz spectrum is half way done already.

So where to get more spectrum? The next block of 10 TV channels. 60MHz is enough for two 24MHz slices (10+10 LTE) and one 12MHz slice (5+5 for LTE or one 10MHz TDD-LTE). AWS-3 is coming up too, thats another 25MHz set to be auctioned if the FCC can get its shit together.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    quadquad Posts: 13member
    There is an error. It needs to say GB instead of MB on the model options.
  • Reply 49 of 101
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by siromega View Post

I don't get this article.

AT&T's network does suck in a lot of places, but right now at work, the Speedtest app on my iphone shows 3-4Mb/s down and 1.5Mb/s up. AT&T already has rolled out 14.4Mb/s speeds to towers, but the problem is their backhaul (the link between the tower and AT&T's network). In the few places where AT&T has upgraded the backhaul and the network links aren't too crowded, good speeds are possible. I don't think I'll double my throughput but 5-6Mb/s doesn't seem unlikely if I can get a strong signal and a unloaded tower.

What's there not to get? As you have noticed, AT&T provides considerably lower than 7 Mbps now, and there's nothing to suggest it will get much higher than that anytime soon. iPhone 4 can already go up to 7.2, so the point is that there's not much the faster potential of iPhone 4S' 14.4 can offer Americans.

Even if AT&T dramatically boosts its mobile network throughput, it will likely not saturate the iPhone 4, let alone take any special advantage of the iPhone 4S' "4G" like speeds. So the potential is there, but not the actual mobile network capacity, at least in the US.

iPhone 4S will benefit users like those in Canada and Europe, where 14.4 service is more common. The only possible good news is that AT&T is talking about building out HSDPA along with LTE, which means at some point iPhone 4S users could have blazing fast data access. But its not here now, and there's no firm commitment to delivering anything close to +7 Mbps speeds currently being promised by AT&T.

On Verizon and Sprint it's even worse, because there's zero potential for the iPhone 4S to ever work any faster on their networks than the iPhone 4, which currently feels dog slow compared to AT&T's <7Mpbs service.
  • Reply 50 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

What's there not to get? As you have noticed, AT&T provides considerably lower than 7 Mbps now, and there's nothing to suggest it will get much higher than that anytime soon. iPhone 4 can already go up to 7.2, so the point is that there's not much the faster potential of iPhone 4S' 14.4 can offer Americans.

Even if AT&T dramatically boosts its mobile network throughput, it will likely not saturate the iPhone 4, let alone take any special advantage of the iPhone 4S' "4G" like speeds. So the potential is there, but not the actual mobile network capacity, at least in the US.

iPhone 4S will benefit users like those in Canada and Europe, where 14.4 service is more common. The only possible good news is that AT&T is talking about building out HSDPA along with LTE, which means at some point iPhone 4S users could have blazing fast data access. But its not here now, and there's no firm commitment to delivering anything close to +7 Mbps speeds currently being promised by AT&T.

On Verizon and Sprint it's even worse, because there's zero potential for the iPhone 4S to ever work any faster on their networks than the iPhone 4, which currently feels dog slow compared to AT&T's <7Mpbs service.

And when LTE finally DOES roll out to the rest of the nation via AT&T. Iphone 4s gets left behind
  • Reply 51 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

And when LTE finally DOES roll out to the rest of the nation via AT&T. Iphone 4s gets left behind

Fortunately, no one will really care, as by the time AT&T gets 4G across the rest of the country, it will be 2015 and Apple will have had an LTE iPhone for three years by then.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

Or they roll out max speed HSPA+ as they deploy back haul that can handle LTE. Why upgrade twice? To satisfy the super geeks that hang out here? I can't imagine how small of a consumer base we represent. Seriously, doubling the potential capacity rolled out across a spread out user base that fast?

Funny thing is we each purport to be so tech savvy and informed consumers yet we can't get two to agree on one damned thing (save this).
  • Reply 53 of 101
    What, only 14.4 Mbps? Switzerland is already rolling out 42 Mbps HSDPA+ and testing 100 Mbps LTE.

Oh, and for the record, the iPhone 4S does NOT have 4G since HSDPA is classed as 3.5G. You need full LTE to qualify as 4G.
  • Reply 54 of 101
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

What, only 14.4 Mbps? Switzerland is already rolling out 42 Mbps HSDPA+ and testing 100 Mbps LTE.

Oh, and for the record, the iPhone 4S does NOT have 4G since HSDPA is classed as 3.5G. You need full LTE to qualify as 4G.

150 million subscribers (and change) spread across 8 or more carriers and hundreds of millions of square miles and someone says Switzerland.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    q2hq2h Posts: 18member
    Where exactly did Apple Insider learn that the iPhone 4S has 512MB of RAM? I don't recall it being announced, nor is it listed on Apple's website.
  • Reply 56 of 101
    They haven't. We have to wait until iFixit does their stuff.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Apple notwithstanding, any carrier promising 3G beyond 5mbps is outright lying and should be taken to task for their blatant deception. Like I said, show me in volume around the world where you can get 5mbps sustained on 3G. HS-whatever-PA is all nice on paper but in practice you're pushing the limits of what is possible with 3G networks as they currently stand around the world.
  • Reply 58 of 101
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

And yet people were clamoring for LTE. How foolish they all are.

The telecoms need shut down. Have the BBB do it, I don't care. If we ever want this country to be competitive again, we need to have higher standards and an iron fist on forced carrier hardware upgrades.

Finally I agree with you. At least in Asia Pacific it's not that horrendous. In Malaysia there is a pioneering telco rolling out 4G WiMax that actually is close to the promise of WiMax. You can hit about 6mbps down and at least reach 2mbps down on an average day. The 3G telcos are nowhere near. This 4G WiMax telco is headed by two former Sprint WiMax execs. Say what you will about Sprint's troubles with WiMax but speaking to these execs they at least seem to be doing in Malaysia perhaps what they really wanted to do with Sprint in the US.

Here in Australia, Telstra has rolled out their dual-band 3G but in any case Telstra has launched their LTE network and clearly for mobile broadband that will be where the speed is. 3G is just not designed for high-bandwidth data. It just isn't, and it just isn't implemented anywhere close to the required demands for mobile broadband. In a few years we'll all each be chewing up about 50GB of mobile data per month. No small amount for any telco.
  • Reply 59 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It won't matter because the battery life would still suck, given the state of current LTE chips. You'd need to turn off LTE anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

Assuming this is real, how do you plan to use a 15+ Mbps connection on a pocket-able device?
  • Reply 60 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It won't matter because the battery life would still suck, given the state of current LTE chips. You'd need to turn off LTE anyway.

Assuming this is real, how do you plan to use a 15+ Mbps connection on a pocket-able device?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4450/lg-revolution/5

With 14 months of R&D, apple could probably do something more than provide average data speeds.

In this one story, a fox sees some high-hanging grapes and wishes to eat them. When the fox is unable to think of a way to reach them, he surmises that the grapes are probably not worth eating, as they must not be ripe or that they are sour. This example follows a pattern: one desires something, finds it unattainable, and reduces one's dissonance by criticizing it.

[wiki - cognitive dissonance]

just accept Apple's mistake of not including LTE or even 21mbps HSPA+