Samsung takes stab at iPhone 4S with Galaxy S II comparison sheet

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After some customers expressed disappointment at Apple's iPhone 4S, rival smartphone maker Samsung is touting its Galaxy S II with a comparison sheet pitting its flagship smartphone against its competitors.

Reports emerged late Tuesday that the South Korean electronics maker had sent out emails with a chart trumpeting the relative merits of the Galaxy S II over the iPhone 4S, as noted by The Unlockr.

Apple announced its much-anticipated next-generation iPhone on Tuesday, but some customers were disappointed when it was revealed that the device is an iPhone 4S and carries the same form factor as the iPhone 4. Wall Street analysts were subdued about the handset, though they remained optimistic about the likelihood of Apple continuing to exceed sales expectations for the iPhone.

In the email, Samsung highlighted the fact that its smartphone has 4G data in the form of WiMax, HSPA+ 42 or HSPA+ 21 mbps compared to the 3G HSPA 14.4 connectivity on the iPhone 4S. The company also boasts that its Super AMOLED Plus screen is "preferred 2 to 1 against other leading displays by Strategy Analytics."

Other features touted by the rival include: the larger screen (4.5 or 4.3 inches), 2-megapixel front camera, 1080p High Profile video capture, lighter weight (4.3 oz compared to 4.9 oz), removable battery and HDTV remote control functionality. Samsung also points out that, unlike Apple, it will begin selling the device on the T-Mobile network next week.

Samsung Galaxy S II, photo via Cnet.

The email went on to remind that screen size benefits scale by area, not just diagonally. "Tthe AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy S II has 42% more screen area and Sprint / T-Mobile versions of Galaxy S II have 58% more screen area than the iPhone 4S," Samsung reportedly wrote.

Despite having lost out against Apple for the title of "thinnest smartphone" in the U.K., the electronics maker put forth its Galaxy S II as "the thinnest smartphone design with the fastest network speed on each of the networks carrying the smartphone."

The company also boasts that its smartphone operates within an "open ecosystem" because consumers can buy music from a variety of music services and use multiple cloud music services and video chat clients. "The Samsung Galaxy S II is not limited to a single manufacturer?s storefront or app store," the email read.

Samsung appears to have had it in for the iPhone 4S before it was released. In September, unnamed company officials indicated plans to target Apple's next-generation iPhone as the next stage in a legal struggle between the two companies.

"Just after the arrival of the iPhone 5 here [in Korea], Samsung plans to take Apple to court here for its violation of Samsung?s wireless technology related patents," said one executive. "For as long as Apple does not drop mobile telecommunications functions, it would be impossible for it to sell its i-branded products without using our patents. We will stick to a strong stance against Apple during the lingering legal fights."

Additional reports had suggested that Samsung will take its fight against the new iPhone to Europe and around the globe.

The company had previously asked to see advance copies of its Apple's next-generation iPhone as part of an ongoing lawsuit, but a judge denied the request.

The rivalry between the two companies is further complicated by the fact that Apple is specifically targeting the Galaxy S II in some of its lawsuits against Samsung. In August, a Netherlands judge issued a temporary ban on sales of three Samsung Galaxy smartphones, including the Galaxy II S.

After informal talks between the two companies over alleged patent infringement broke down, Apple fired the first shot in April, accusing its rival of "slavish" copying of the look and feel of itsi Phone and iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 244
    Apple legal team already ringing Samsung legal team to bring this down or they will sue...
  • Reply 2 of 244
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    And Samsung or any android phone still somehow has a lower resolution screen.
  • Reply 3 of 244
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    The iPhone 4S is a solid upgrade. I may get one for my wife. I'm sure next year's model will be the iPhone 4GS if history is any indication.

Apple appears to have lost its spark since Jobs left. That was sensed by many. The production was polished everywhere but with the CEO. Over time that may change. There wasn't that one more thing in this product launch. It would have been awesome if the iPad 3 were that thing.

Something that many may underestimate is the Airplay. Basically your iPhone or iPod Touch is the game console for your HDTV. It is nice how a AppleTV is not required. Though I wonder how you'd play multi-player games with or without one. Look out MS, Sony, and Nintendo - iOS is upon you.
  • Reply 4 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Yes, but at least one that's decently big. Why couldn't Apple put a 4+" screen with 720p in there? The Nexus Prime will have it; Apple could have stolen Google's & Samsung's thunder, but no...
  • Reply 5 of 244
    I see a few inaccuracies in the comparison, fair overall, but even with that Samsung made sheet, i don't think they made it clear why they believe that the GSII is so much better.
  • Reply 6 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Yes, but at least one that's decently big. Why couldn't Apple put a 4+" screen with 720p in there? The Nexus Prime will have it; Apple could have stolen Google's & Samsung's thunder, but no...

Decently big? If you think a bigger screen is better that is your opinion, a lot of people agree and many others disagree...Apple disagrees as well.
  • Reply 7 of 244
    As disappointed as I am with the iPhone 4S, I would still not consider a Samsung phone. I have a Samsung TV that I like, but if I won't buy an Apple phone, then I'd probably go for a Nokia or a Sony Ericsson.
  • Reply 8 of 244
    riderrider Posts: 31member
    Samsung official said .. " all these and one more thing .. it looks just like the Iphone just cheaper "
  • Reply 9 of 244
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Agree, 4+ edge-to-edge screen and 720p would have been a killer feature.

I am really tired of 3.5" display of my iPhone 4, so much real estate wasted on the bezel and useless home button.

Now all these Androids coming out with HD screens will make me jealous for at least 12 more months before iPhone-5 (6?) arrives.
  • Reply 10 of 244
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Just after the arrival of the iPhone 5 here [in Korea], Samsung plans to take Apple to court here for its violation of Samsung?s wireless technology related patents," said one executive. "For as long as Apple does not drop mobile telecommunications functions, it would be impossible for it to sell its i-branded products without using our patents. We will stick to a strong stance against Apple during the lingering legal fights."

After yesterday's keynote featuring the iPhone 4S (iPhone 4 Suckers), it is plain to see that Apple has for the past year forgone innovating and instead spent all their time litigating.

Apple could have spent 16 months putting together a phone to compete and win hearts and minds. Instead they spec bump and sue everyone that breathes.
  • Reply 11 of 244
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Samsung's lower-resolution screen, using AMOLED which is prone to burn-in and loss of color quickly, weighs less due to using plastic instead of metal/glass, using an OS that is prone to weekly malware/bot attacks and needs to be babysat in a way only a tech-head or nerd can do is somehow more preferred than an iPhone? Does that sum it up?
  • Reply 12 of 244
    fila97fila97 Posts: 63member
    It's the software, stupid.
  • Reply 13 of 244
    iPhone, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5.... I don't see how this release is anything less than expected.

Moreover, I kinda figured Apple would keep the same design a little longer than one release. The antenna system was/is unmatched by any other smartphone--it's literally the frame. There are a gazillion cases available, tripod mounts, and detachable lens mounts as well. There is simply no other phone with that type of accessory following so I think two generations with identical case design is appropriate (apparently Apple agrees).

The 3GS kind of threw me but it makes sense for people who are getting their first "smartphone." Most people don't even call them smartphones anyway--they call it an iPhone, 'droid, or Blackberry. The 3GS was selling like crazy this last year when AT&T lowered the price (temporarily) to $0.99, I fail to see the 3GS as a bad move. It's going to simply annoy Google & Co. that Apple is releasing a free version of their iPhone. It's there to compete with all the cheap Android phones, Blackberries, and is a solid entry-level smartphone. I would've guessed the iPhone 4 8GB was going to be the entry level but now it's the mid-grade.

The 4S is a solid upgrade of all the right things: camera, battery, CPU, storage, etc. I think new customers and 3GS owners who are due for a renewal will get it. The iPhone 4 owners are going to wait for iPhone 5.
  • Reply 14 of 244
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The iPhone 4S is a solid upgrade. I may get one for my wife. I'm sure next year's model will be the iPhone 4GS if history is any indication.

Apple appears to have lost its spark since Jobs left. That was sensed by many. The production was polished everywhere but with the CEO. Over time that may change. There wasn't that one more thing in this product launch. It would have been awesome if the iPad 3 were that thing.

Something that many may underestimate is the Airplay. Basically your iPhone or iPod Touch is the game console for your HDTV. It is nice how a AppleTV is not required. Though I wonder how you'd play multi-player games with or without one. Look out MS, Sony, and Nintendo - iOS is upon you.

+ 1, I agree with everything you wrote. However, remember the primary role of the CEO is to execute, not to present well. Regardless, I agree. He was unimpressive and disappointing. He made the right decision to give the technology demos to the pros.
  • Reply 15 of 244
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Haven't you read the news?! Experts at Display Strategy Analytics agree 2:1 they like lower pixel density AMOLED displays over S-IPS high pixel density displays with more pixels per square inch, because people like fuzzier displays.

I noticed they didn't highlight their CPU/GPU SoC solution.

They know the A5 stomps it all over the field of computing.

Wow! Removable battery! //in 2011 we are still highlighting this?

They only highlighted the Front Camer, not the back //hint, our's sucks compared to the iPhone 4S

Use it as a Remote to your HDTV!! // Most folks using the Apple Ecosystem use theirs with their AppleTV connected to their HDTV and the iTunes Video Store the Samsung doesn't have

Gingerbread? Seriously? // I stopped taking it serious at this point

The microSD is truly sad.

T-Mobile?

I read this as a sense of desperation. With the iPhone 4S hitting 100 carriers and exploding in China, Samsung has crapped itself severely.

P.S. How come no one is talking about the iPod Touch getting the RETINA DISPLAY? Talk about a dream targeting the iPod Touch, iPhone 4+ and obviously the upcoming iPad 3 with Retina level quality displays.

Having 960 x 640 as the baseline for application development is a big improvement.
  • Reply 16 of 244
    Now that it looks like the iPhone 4S has the underdog status in light of the new "sleeker" models of Android devices that will soon flood the market, the question is will one or two Android device/s finally best the iPhone as the most popular smartphone on the planet? If not, then this will obviosuly be a very huge psychological win for Apple.

Oh wait..the antiquated iPhone 4 (yes the grampa iPHONE 4) is still outselling every newer model Android device on Verizon and ATT.
  • Reply 17 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

It's the software, stupid.

if it was about HW, Nokia would still be king.
  • Reply 18 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JuanGuapo View Post

iPhone, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5.... I don't see how this release is anything less than expected.

Moreover, I kinda figured Apple would keep the same design a little longer than one release. The antenna system was/is unmatched by any other smartphone--it's literally the frame. There are a gazillion cases available, tripod mounts, and detachable lens mounts as well. There is simply no other phone with that type of accessory following so I think two generations with identical case design is appropriate (apparently Apple agrees).

The 3GS kind of threw me but it makes sense for people who are getting their first "smartphone." Most people don't even call them smartphones anyway--they call it an iPhone, 'droid, or Blackberry. The 3GS was selling like crazy this last year when AT&T lowered the price (temporarily) to $0.99, I fail to see the 3GS as a bad move. It's going to simply annoy Google & Co. that Apple is releasing a free version of their iPhone. It's there to compete with all the cheap Android phones, Blackberries, and is a solid entry-level smartphone. I would've guessed the iPhone 4 8GB was going to be the entry level but now it's the mid-grade.

The 4S is a solid upgrade of all the right things: camera, battery, CPU, storage, etc. I think new customers and 3GS owners who are due for a renewal will get it. The iPhone 4 owners are going to wait for iPhone 5.

yes, you have it pretty much perfectly stated. with 2 year contract, its perfectly aligned with your assertion.
  • Reply 19 of 244
    October 11th. Remember that date.

This is how flagship products should be refined.
  • Reply 20 of 244
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    I guess a little off-topic but...

People that expected Apple to come out with something truly new today are unrealistic and stupid. Think about how the iPhone 3GS was an incremental step. Everyone whined then too. The iPhone 4 was a major design change that cost them hundreds of millions of dollars in development. You don't do something like that every year. Especially when you continue to move the previous model(s) in huge volumes. Apple just needs to make incremental changes to their products now since they are sitting in the number one position. They only need to radically redesign the products once in awhile to stay at the top.

Years ago, we saw an Apple that was trying to get to the top and they needed to accelerate development to get there. Now they are there so they need to weigh the cost of redesign. Why introduce something radically new when you don't have to?

Take the iPad: we would be looking at iPad 3 right now if they didn't have such an overwhelming market share. This means they can take their time and make sure iPad 3 is not a minor step like iPad 2 was. I'm still using my iPad 1 which is 1.5 years old and still more desirable than any other tablet on the market (to me anyway).

We people reading this message board are insatiable nerds who can't get enough tech. We are in the minority. The regular Joes out there are just now getting the hang of this tech and they take longer to get tired of it.

This is a smart move by Apple, who is most likely feverishly working on the iPhone 5, which will be another significant departure as was the 4. These things take time. Entire factories are built to support these new designs; hell, entire cities are built!. It's not just about designing the product, it's about dealing with local economies where the units will be manufactured, striking multi-billion dollar exclusive deals with suppliers, etc. The fact that Apple can do such things over the course of less than 2 years is pretty amazing.

Let's be realistic people. The iPhone 4S is state of the art and does way more than the masses can appreciate. It will tide us over until the 5 is ready.