Samsung takes stab at iPhone 4S with Galaxy S II comparison sheet

Comments

• Reply 81 of 244
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Yes, but at least one that's decently big. Why couldn't Apple put a 4+" screen with 720p in there? The Nexus Prime will have it; Apple could have stolen Google's & Samsung's thunder, but no...

Apple does not want to deal with screen fragmentation.

Android phone resolutions are all over the map.

Just explains the lack of any control by Google in the Android world.
  • Reply 82 of 244
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Age maybe? When you hit 60+ like newbee does you will understand. I lean toward 4.3" LG Optimus 2 because of my eyesight as well.

There are only so many things you could do before you need a bigger screen.

If newbee is still around and arthritis hasn't take his hands away, he might admit he has already abandoned iPhone and use iPad to post to us. And now he has a small backpack with him whenever he goes.

People that are completely blind can use the iPhone.

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...and-apple-tech

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/09/20/blind...es-the-iphone/
  • Reply 83 of 244
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    I don't know about the rest of the world, but personally I wear normal dress pants to work and not giant gangster jeans, and the pockets don't have room for phones with 5, 6 or 7 inch screens. I think my iPhone screen is just perfect.
  • Reply 84 of 244
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Don't get why people allude to the curved screen and are disappointed Apple didn't release a phone with it.

Sometimes, just because something is technically feasible does not mean you should do it. Apple gets that and it's one reason their design is iconic. Here's hoping they never release a phone with it. In fact, I bet it will never catch on. Don't forget, Apple has already experimented with it on the Nano.
  • Reply 85 of 244
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

I don't know about the rest of the world, but personally I wear normal dress pants to work and not giant gangster jeans, and the pockets don't have room for phones with 5, 6 or 7 inch screens. I think my iPhone screen is just perfect.

Afraid to show your underwear?
  • Reply 86 of 244
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

It doesn't have to be 5". Look at the Samsung Galaxy S II next to the iPhone 4 (YouTube Video), there is practically no difference in pocket-ability yet the difference in screen real estate is huge.
  • Reply 87 of 244
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Age maybe? When you hit 60+ like newbee does you will understand. I lean toward 4.3" LG Optimus 2 because of my eyesight as well.

There are only so many things you could do before you need a bigger screen.

The only problem with your logic is that it's so trivial to change the font size on the iPhone. If you can't read it, simply increase the font size. Given the high resolution, it will be more readable than a larger, lower quality Android screen.

Or, if you can afford an iPhone and plan, you can probably afford glasses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Pretty much nobody has an Apple TV.

Last I heard, they've sold a couple million. That's 'pretty much nobody'?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

You know Apple will scream bloody murder. Apple considers all other company's patents to be F/RAND Patents, but the ones Apple owns are not and thus warrant injunctions on competing products.

That is, of course, nonsense. Apple considers patents which are necessary to operation of cell phone networks to be FRAND - which is exactly the definition the rest of the industry uses. It does NOT consider all patents to be FRAND.

Quote:

- Grapes -> Not sour? Oh yes they are!

Glad to see you admitting that all of your posts are sour grapes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Samsung's lower-resolution screen, using AMOLED which is prone to burn-in and loss of color quickly, weighs less due to using plastic instead of metal/glass, using an OS that is prone to weekly malware/bot attacks and needs to be babysat in a way only a tech-head or nerd can do is somehow more preferred than an iPhone? Does that sum it up?

Just about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Phones like the SGSII are still pocketable.

SGSII

125.3 x 66.1 x 8.49mm

iPhone 4/4s:

115.2 x 58.7 x 9.3mm

Difference:

L: 10.1mm larger

W: 7.4mm larger

D: 0.81mm smaller

If that difference really does stop these large phones from being pocketable, I'd invest in clothes that actually fit.

I love the way the phandroids have to lie to try to win a point. The thickness of the SGSII is not correct. You're reporting the thickness at the thinnest point - not the thickest point.
  • Reply 88 of 244
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

It doesn't have to be 5". Look at the Samsung Galaxy S II next to the iPhone 4 (YouTube Video), there is practically no difference in pocket-ability yet the difference in screen real estate is huge.

'practically no difference in pocketability'? Are you delusional? The Samsung is huge.

Not to mention, of course, that the iPhone has over 40% more pixels for clarity. And the Samsung screen probably won't last the life of the phone without significant fading. And the Samsung phone is deficient in so many other ways.
  • Reply 89 of 244
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Quote:

Pretty much nobody has an Apple TV.

Hey, don't call me a nobody! I have two Apple TVs and use them all the time. You should try one.
  • Reply 90 of 244
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Do you consider it a negative feature of the iPad?

In comparison to the iPhone 4, Yes. Though it's heaps better than the 128x160 display on my Nokia.
  • Reply 91 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Sigh...just look how biased the chart is. Samsung doesn't even highlight iPhone 4s advantage over SII.

Lets break it down shall we:
    • Screen resolution - iPhone should win here.

• Videocapture: 1080p High profile is better because?

• Dedicated outer camera button: S2 has none, iPhone does, yet its a tie?

• Syncing: iTunes syncing isn't required anymore. There is iCloud. And if you want iTunes, it can be done wirelessly, even backing up.

• Use of smartphone as HDTV remote control: Samsung's best feature There are tons of remote controls for iOS.

• OS: Of course Samsung prefers "Latest version of Gingerbread" over iOS5 and forgetting that iOS devices also get the latest version of iOS5

And finally, Price/memory: Samsung touts external card support up to 32GB, while ignoring that iPhone can get iPhone4S gets up to 64GB.

"(no memory limitations)" ... uhm yes you do. SII does not support SDXC and 32GB is not bigger than 64GB. Unless you want to play swap cards.

Dedicated Camera button on outside? iPhone 4S has that? I thought it was the volume up button? That's dedicated? Wow, I need to understand words more before I use them. (I know this user that wrote that was not the person who said that, Samsung did, so that is who I am mocking here )
  • Reply 92 of 244
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

'practically no difference in pocketability'? Are you delusional? The Samsung is huge.

Not to mention, of course, that the iPhone has over 40% more pixels for clarity. And the Samsung screen probably won't last the life of the phone without significant fading. And the Samsung phone is deficient in so many other ways.

I was not referring to the technology, but the size. It is not that much bigger than the iPhone. You're acting like the difference is the same between an iPod touch and an iPad, it is not.

I have put both of these phones comfortably in the front pocket of my jeans and the inside pocket of my suit jacket, the difference is negligible.
  • Reply 93 of 244
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    I have been using a Droid X since it was released.

I am so looking forward returning to iOs and the 4S !
  • Reply 94 of 244
    And a lot of us think it is significantly bigger. Personal taste. iPhone 4 is the perfect balance of box size and screen size for most of us here. You are quite free to like the larger phone but don't spin that it is not noticeably larger.

Quote:

I was not referring to the technology, but the size. It is not that much bigger than the iPhone. You're acting like the difference is the same between an iPod touch and an iPad, it is not.

I have put both of these phones comfortably in the front pocket of my jeans and the inside pocket of my suit jacket, the difference is negligible.

• Reply 95 of 244
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    The sad thing is that the Galaxy S II wins on specs here. Even if iOS is much better than Android, will that matter to people?

The REALLY sad thing is that the SII is months old, the Nexus Prime will be presented next week and will probably have much higher specs than the iPhone 4S. I can't even imagine what new and better models will come out in the next year, and the iPhone 4S will be trailing behind, with Siri as the only innovation.
  • Reply 96 of 244
    Quote:

The truth is I was a huge Apple Computer, Inc. fan - now I despise the company Apple has become. They are worse than Microsoft ever was.

Can you explain in what exactly apple has become worse then M$.

The only thing I can imagine, is that Apple has a higher marketing cap. But I don't see this as a bad thing. Astonishing - Yes! But bad - ???
  • Reply 97 of 244
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:

Alright, well my counter to that would be look at the size of the phone and the resolution of the screen. I'm a man and I don't carry a purse or a bag of any kind so the smaller the better for me. If Apple could make the screen bigger, without making the phone bigger, without losing the great resolution they have and without causing too much of a headache to developers who would need to change their apps then I would welcome it but I don't want a bigger phone just to have a bigger screen. All I want is something that slides nicely into my pocket and doesn't feel like I'm carrying a brick around.
  • Reply 98 of 244
    Don't be sad. Just buy your friggin Galaxy S II and be happy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

The sad thing is that the Galaxy S II wins on specs here. Even if iOS is much better than Android, will that matter to people?

The REALLY sad thing is that the SII is months old, the Nexus Prime will be presented next week and will probably have much higher specs than the iPhone 4S. I can't even imagine what new and better models will come out in the next year, and the iPhone 4S will be trailing behind, with Siri as the only innovation.

• Reply 99 of 244
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    It's the typical PC-like ploy: They tout this and that, but they don't tell you about all the corner cutting and cost saving. You know, 17" laptop, but screen resolution is only 1366x768... Samsung has lower screen resolution, crappy-jerky-complicated Android, lower quality camera (despite a high pixel rating), etc., etc.... With Apple you'll always know that the components from the screen to materials used to the electronic components inside are all top notch. Yeah, it costs a little more, usually, for Apple products, but you pay for quality and excellent customer service.
  • Reply 100 of 244
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

Exactly.... I do business casual to work everyday and the phone in my sig fits just perfect! I don't have to pinch and zoom (although i can) just to read anything on my phone. Next thing your going to hear is that Apple invented the voice control functions on smart phones. That will probably be the next round of lawsuits. Except the at Apple BOUGHT Siri. Fact isApple is just now starting to catch up to Android phones...... They had copy and paste, voice control, over the air updates and many other things first.