Apple updates iPod nano with improved interface, expanded fitness features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    morbomorbo Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bahiatronic View Post

Actually Apple has just pushed an update for existing iPod Nano. Check for update in iTunes.

Bahiatronic is right; Update 1.2 for the 6th gen iPod Nano is now available from iTunes. Downloading it as we speak. According to the release notes it contains all of the new features mentioned in the keynote.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morbo View Post

Bahiatronic is right; Update 1.2 for the 6th gen iPod Nano is now available from iTunes. Downloading it as we speak. According to the release notes it contains all of the new features mentioned in the keynote.

Wow, Apple. You've done something wonderful.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Cook said they sold 45 million iPods from July 2010 to June 2011. That's not a small number, though of course it's down from a few years ago.

Oh okay... I was only going by the event photos on Engadget. Good to know they're still selling even if less.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

The "fitness features" is pretty minimal. So it has an accelerometer, and is somehow using that to track the distance of a run? I really wonder just how accurate that might be? No HR, no GPS, nothing other than running or walking?

The nano could be so much more. At least for now it appears AAPL is mostly ignoring it. Put BT on it? A rudimentary camera as a full-up iOS device? Even drop ANT+ sport onto it so as to make it a expandable fitness device by third party developers? I do understand that the battery and processor power would be a significant engineering hurdle. No one at AAPL is apparently interested.

Why should they be? All those things you listed add complexity and cost. If Apple is selling enough with the current features to be profitable, then they're happy. How many more nanos would they sell with ANT+? How much would GPS cost and how much would it shorten battery life?

If all those things were good selling points, some other manufacturer like Samsung or Garmin could do it. No one is competing with Apple in the same product space so why should they add to the manufacturing cost?
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Very nice of Apple to give us this update. Just updated my Nano and I really like the new watch faces, might just buy a wrist watch for it now
  • Reply 26 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Is there a calculator watch face?
  • Reply 27 of 42
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Apple has a strong history of releasing a new iPod that's basically just a software update but requiring users to re-buy to get the latest features. Big bummer. I know.

I have a nano and would love to get the new watch faces, but I'm not going to buy a whole new device just for that.

No problem. You are mistaken. It is not true Apple sells hardware for software only updates. They always give you feature updates for free if they can on old hardware.

Just plug your 2010 Nano into your iTunes, run software Updater 1.2 and your old Nano is like new with all the new software features.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Is there a calculator watch face?

No. But stopwatch and countdown timer are in there now.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    I've got a LunaTik and I'm very pleased with this update. However, I'd love to see the return of the 5th Generation video, organizer and games features.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Still has that annoying clip & still no bluetooth/wireless headphones. Who wants a watch with headphone wires sticking out? I'm seriously pissed at this years iPod update or lack off.
  • Reply 31 of 42
  • Reply 32 of 42
    If it's in the same form factor as the current version, these are the improvements I want:

1. Bluetooth

2. Built-in speaker like the Gen 5

3. Alarm clock

4. Calendar

5. SDK and third-party apps

6. Video playback like the Gen 5

7. Retina display

Just off the top of my head.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If it's in the same form factor as the current version, these are the improvements I want:

1. Bluetooth

2. Built-in speaker like the Gen 5

3. Alarm clock

4. Calendar

5. SDK and third-party apps

6. Video playback like the Gen 5

7. Retina display

Just off the top of my head.

Really? You do realize that it's a one inch screen right? This is a tiny (bordering on too small) device that's dedicated to basically do one thing--music. Watching a movie on a one inch screen? Trying to view a calendar? Your post implies you don't have one. All those features are for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I'm glad Apple still offers iPods, as I don't like to exercise with my iPhone (too big, bulky, heavy).

Meanwhile, this is an AWESOME update, and so glad Apple let us existing owner update! This update allows you to turn off icons (app?) I don't use (like Photos, Podcasts, audiobooks, clock). My home screen is now down to four icons I use, totally totally awesome!

And the second feature they ADDED was that a double-click of the sleep/wake button is configurable to play/pause, a feature that was sorely lacking before.

I dare say, I think the Nano is now perfected.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Yeah, but without video playback you can't talk back to the watch and pretend to be Dick Tracy.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

Really? You do realize that it's a one inch screen right? This is a tiny (bordering on too small) device that's dedicated to basically do one thing--music. Watching a movie on a one inch screen? Trying to view a calendar? Your post implies you don't have one. All those features are for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I'm glad Apple still offers iPods, as I don't like to exercise with my iPhone (too big, bulky, heavy).

All these features were available on the 5th generation iPod Nano. I'm not saying anyone would want to watch a movie on the screen of the new Nano, but video playback capability could provide other functions.

Quote:

And the second feature they ADDED was that a double-click of the sleep/wake button is configurable to play/pause, a feature that was sorely lacking before.

This implies that you don't have one. No, I'm joking. But this feature actually WAS in the version 1.1 software. Did you forget to update when 1.1 came out?

Quote:

I dare say, I think the Nano is now perfected.

You're serious? Bluetooth and a tiny speaker like the iPod Touch wouldn't make it way better?
  • Reply 36 of 42
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

All these features were available on the 5th generation iPod Nano. I'm not saying anyone would want to watch a movie on the screen of the new Nano, but video playback capability could provide other functions.

This implies that you don't have one. No, I'm joking. But this feature actually WAS in the version 1.1 software. Did you forget to update when 1.1 came out?

You're serious? Bluetooth and a tiny speaker like the iPod Touch wouldn't make it way better?

Bluetooth and video and most importantly 3rd party apps and I'd get one, if it could receive info e.g. notifications from iOS or in a dream world, an Android. It's a pretty cool device as a watch.

I don't think a speaker would fit, though. There isn't even room for an earbud! Too small. No one would want or use it, it'd be like 0.1 watts.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Is the 1.2 software update being made available to all sixth-generation iPod nano? Reason I ask is I bought one today on the assumption that 1.2 was pre-loaded, but it in fact wasn't. I called the store and they told me the update was available (which it was, I've since installed it), but I do wonder if anyone who bought a new nano in the last year can get the new features.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

No problem. You are mistaken. It is not true Apple sells hardware for software only updates. They always give you feature updates for free if they can on old hardware.

Just plug your 2010 Nano into your iTunes, run software Updater 1.2 and your old Nano is like new with all the new software features.

Ah, didn't see this. That explains it, then. The "new" nano is essentially last year's model with a price drop.

Also, I don't think that's always the case. I remember the 5G iPod was never given the "5.5G" software update that merely added a very simple search feature. I highly doubt that was impossible to work onto the slightly older model. I'm sure there are other examples, but that was always a notable one for me.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I don't think a speaker would fit, though. There isn't even room for an earbud! Too small. No one would want or use it, it'd be like 0.1 watts.

How big do you think the speaker in the iPod Touch is?

It's a square half the width of the dock connector, and that includes its housing. They could make it smaller for the Nano, or just use a piezoelectric disc pasted to the inside of the case for minimal feedback. Even a click like the Classic would be better than nothing.

And the speaker is not for listening. No one listens to music through the Touch speaker, though it can be helpful for games. It's so that there's feedback when you plug it in to charge, or when you make a selection, or... when the theoretical alarm clock rings.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

And the speaker is not for listening. No one listens to music through the Touch speaker, though it can be helpful for games. It's so that there's feedback when you plug it in to charge, or when you make a selection, or... when the theoretical alarm clock rings.

Indeed. It's for, as Steve said, 'causal listening' at best.