Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

12728303233

Comments

  • Reply 581 of 641
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Funny how the people who only want appearance are "not shallow" while the ones who are more focused on the performance and features of the phone are the shallow ones... Amazing.



    I am still astounded at the amount of whining and complaining over a very solid upgrade. And for many people, it's free. If you wait until your contract renewal period (and my iPhone 4 is now eligible for a subsidized upgrade), you can upgrade to the new phone for $200-300. Then sell your old one on eBay for $300 or so. Since I plan to buy the low end model (I never use my phone for listening to music or watching movies, so I don't need the storage), I'll actually pocket $100 and have a phone that's dramatically better in every regard.



    maybe if you take care in understanding what people are saying as opposed to reading with preconceived ideas, there won't be a need to spell it out. We wanted more features, better performance AND ALSO different form factor. Both things. Unlike you I own my iPone 4 outright, so I don't have wait for permission when to upgrade and to which carrier. Apple pulled a similar trick with 3GS, faster innards than 3G, processor got a boost, speedier HSPA, better camera, voice control blah blah ..... history repeats itself. So for us 4 users who buy unlocked paying the full price, is this a "a very solid upgrade"? I don't think so, it's a disappointment as it was Mr Cook performance
  • Reply 582 of 641
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    It's really funny how Apple fans are accused of being more concerned with style than substance - yet then you get complaints like this one. Or this entire thread where vastly improving nearly every element of the new phone isn't good enough because it doesn't have racing stripes or tail fins.



    I wish the Apple haters would stick to one story...



    I wish that Apple suckers would stop defending the indefensible, are those of you who suck so hard that give us Apple fans a bad name in the industry.
  • Reply 583 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post


    Give me a break. The processing power needed to run Siri is only available on A5 devices like the new phone and the iPad 2. The same sorts of limitations on software existed for users of the original iPhone.



    I think people who are disappointed in this new phone are crazy. For me, this will be as important a jump in performance as the original iPhone to the iPhone 3GS was (I skipped the iPhone 3G).



    I think the biggest unknown is Siri. I was less than impressed with it as a stand alone app. If Apple can duplicate the user experience seen in the video or the demo today this will be huge for a lot of users.



    So will Siri become available when iOS 5 is released for iPad 2?
  • Reply 584 of 641
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post


    maybe if you take care in understanding what people are saying as opposed to reading with preconceived ideas, there won't be a need to spell it out. We wanted more features, better performance AND ALSO different form factor. Both things. Unlike you I own my iPone 4 outright, so I don't have wait for permission when to upgrade and to which carrier. Apple pulled a similar trick with 3GS, faster innards than 3G, processor got a boost, speedier HSPA, better camera, voice control blah blah ..... history repeats itself. So for us 4 users who buy unlocked paying the full price, is this a "a very solid upgrade"? I don't think so, it's a disappointment as it was Mr Cook performance



    Then don't effing buy a new one. Your choice.



    But your argument is insane. There is no overwhelming reason why Apple needed to change the form factor. Even 18 months after launch, it is still the top selling phone on the planet. Yet they significantly improved nearly everything else. AND they added a great new feature (Siri).



    Given that the average iPhone user will be able to upgrade at no cost (since, unlike most Android phones, there is still substantial resale value for the old phone), it's a lot of extra performance at no net cost. Regardless of what the paid Android shills have to say.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post


    I wish that Apple suckers would stop defending the indefensible, are those of you who suck so hard that give us Apple fans a bad name in the industry.



    So defending a phone in which nearly every single feature is greatly improved is somehow indefensible?



    Wow, how much did THAT line cost Google?
  • Reply 585 of 641
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bedetermine View Post


    So will Siri become available when iOS 5 is released for iPad 2?



    Siri will become available once Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes birth him.
  • Reply 586 of 641
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 876member
    First things first. I DRAFRA why the new iPhone is called the iPhone 4s instead of the iPhone 5, or the iPhone what-have -you. AFAIK, that will not have any bearing on it's features and performance, which is all I care about. I could not possibly care less whether the new model is personally presented by Cook, Jobs, or Charlie the Tuna, as long as the presenter handles this task well. Yes, I enjoy seeing the professionalism and pride that Steve Jobs has exhibited over the years when he has introduced new Apple products. Is that why I buy Apple products? No, it isn't! Get over it!



    Currently I have an iPhone 3Gs, and I am looking forward to the faster and more capable 4s that I will pre-order on Friday. I am not disappointed in the slightest by the new model. I don't really have any complaints about the new 4s, and I strongly suspect that many posters in this thread are professional complainers. Nobody is forced to buy this new 4s.
  • Reply 587 of 641
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post




    Given that the average iPhone user will be able to upgrade at no cost (since, unlike most Android phones, there is still substantial resale value for the old phone), it's a lot of extra performance at no net cost. Regardless of what the paid Android shills have to say.



    You really are a nut. No one post of yours today has failed to call anybody questioning the iPhone a "paid shrill" of Android or Google.



    Quote:

    So defending a phone in which nearly every single feature is greatly improved is somehow indefensible? Wow, how much did THAT line cost Google?



    More nonsense. I am launching some reports against all of your posts where you call the opposition Android shrills.
  • Reply 588 of 641
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    My take on the matter is this, the next generation iPhone is just not ready yet. It might be in the matter of power supply, processor, storage, design and other parts that will make the next iPhone much better than the competition. Remember iPhone 3G was followed by the iPhone 3GS and the same reasoning should apply in here. Incremental changes now then blow the competition out of the water with a new iPhone that is different from it's predecessor and it's competition.



    As for hardware specs, they are well and nice and while Droid Bionic and Galaxy phones had many superior specs than the 4GS, you have to remember this, specs only do matter if the ideal circumstances is the norm and not the exception. And there is something else, most regular costumers and most techies don't use the true power of their mobile devices because they don't need it. At the end of the day, Specs will not matter a damn if the phone cannot send or received a call without a drop in signal in any place at any time consistently and reliably and for the vast majority of people, that is more important than the specs built in the iPhone, Droid , Galaxy and other smart phones.
  • Reply 589 of 641
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    You really are a nut. No one post of yours today has failed to call anybody questioning the iPhone a "paid shrill" of Android or Google.



    More nonsense. I am launching some reports against all of your posts where you call the opposition Android shrills.



    IOW, I'm right on the money and you're afraid that Google will stop paying you now that you've been caught.



    Oh, and btw, you can't even get your basic facts right. You said that every one of my posts called someone a shill. That's not even close to being true. Only those who were acting like shills.
  • Reply 590 of 641
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,001member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post


    what a crock. Let the stock slide begin.



    Love it. Love the meltdown of the fanboys. People that criticizing this device really don't care how much of an upgrade it is. They just know they were expecting it to be a new form factor with the name iPhone 5.



    Never mind that the camera is much improved over the already very good iPhone 4 camera. Never mind the dual core chip and improved graphics over the already fast iPhone 4. Never mind the antennae redesign. Never mind that you can now get an iPhone 4 for half price, and the 3GS for FREE.



    It's a decent upgrade. It's similar to the 3GS over the 3G, and the 3G over the original iPhone. It reminds me of the PowerBook evolution from "Lombard" to "Pismo" if anyone remembers that. A solid, evolutionary upgrade. That's what is is, and it will sell by the ton. I suggest we ignore the know-nothings here and elsewhere expressing outrage.
  • Reply 591 of 641
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    IOW, I'm right on the money and you're afraid that Google will stop paying you now that you've been caught.



    Oh, and btw, you can't even get your basic facts right. You said that every one of my posts called someone a shill. That's not even close to being true. Only those who were acting like shills.



    Um, I have been on this site since 2003, and have 1,300+ posts to my name. There is a reason for that. I only own Apple devices, and only will. I want them to compete with Android.



    Appleinsider is often disappointed with Apple, and what it releases. Generally it is the fans who are disappointed.



    What is needed is rational argument, not conspiratorial nonsense about how Google is paying everybody who dis-agrees with you. That post was also reported. I'll keep going until you are banned.
  • Reply 592 of 641
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    Love it. Love the meltdown of the fanboys. People that criticizing this device really don't care how much of an upgrade it is. They just know they were expecting it to be a new form factor with the name iPhone 5.



    Never mind that the camera is much improved over the already very good iPhone 4 camera. Never mind the dual core chip and improved graphics over the already fast iPhone 4. Never mind the antennae redesign. Never mind that you can now get an iPhone 4 for half price, and the 3GS for FREE.



    It's a decent upgrade. It's similar to the 3GS over the 3G, and the 3G over the original iPhone. It reminds me of the PowerBook evolution from "Lombard" to "Pismo" if anyone remembers that. A solid, evolutionary upgrade. That's what is is, and it will sell by the ton. I suggest we ignore the know-nothings here and elsewhere expressing outrage.





    The market has reacted badly. Analysts generally unimpressed. Polls of normal technology sites unimpressed. My twitter feed unimpressed.



    Not just there. Not just fanboys. ( Although that is an ad homimen I accept, it bests being called a paid shrill of Google).
  • Reply 593 of 641
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    Um, I have been on this site since 2003, and have 1,300+ posts to my name. There is a reason for that. I only own Apple devices, and only will. I want them to compete with Android.



    Appleinsider is often disappointed with Apple, and what it releases. Generally it is the fans who are disappointed.



    What is needed is rational argument, not conspiratorial nonsense about how Google is paying everybody who dis-agrees with you. That post was also reported. I'll keep going until you are banned.



    IOW, you don't like what I have to say.



    Note that I never said you were a shill - I was addressing someone else. If it looks like a shill, talks like a shill, ......



    Sorry, but the whining on this page is so out of control that it is clearly being driven by unrealistic expectations and/or a vested interest in making Apple look bad.
  • Reply 594 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil View Post


    My take on the matter is this, the next generation iPhone is just not ready yet. It might be in the matter of power supply, processor, storage, design and other parts that will make the next iPhone much better than the competition. Remember iPhone 3G was followed by the iPhone 3GS and the same reasoning should apply in here. Incremental changes now then blow the competition out of the water with a new iPhone that is different from it's predecessor and it's competition.



    Hardware-wise, this is the second biggest jump since the iPhone first came out. It's bigger than iPhone to iPhone 3G, and bigger than iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS. The only more major upgrade was from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4.



    The iPhone 4 is an iPad squeezed into a phone with a camera and retina display. The iPhone 4S is the iPad 2 squeezed into a phone with an improved camera and Siri. The next iPhone will, likewise, be the iPad 3 squeezed into a phone with some other improve feature (likely NFC and LTE).
  • Reply 595 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post


    I almost never use the iPhone as a phone, so I don't care about talk times. I do however, really like being able to go all weekend without needing to recharge. I am not playing games on the thing all day, and just want to be able to check my email, surf the web a little and that's about it. So, standby time is important to me.



    Well, I suspect that standby time for all iPhones capable of running iOS 5 (3GS, 4, 4S) has been reduced by several things:



    1) more robust hardware CPU and GPU



    2) more robust notification services and other iOS services



    3) dual (world phone) cell radios



    These things normally get activated in standby mode;



    You have some control to minimize battery usage -- turn off WiFi, BT, Cell, Notifications, Location Services, turn on Airplane mode, etc. Or you can just turn off your iPhone.



    Here's a (yet to be updated for iPhone 4S) article on how to maximize battery usage:



    http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html
  • Reply 596 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Then don't effing buy a new one. Your choice.



    But your argument is insane. There is no overwhelming reason why Apple needed to change the form factor. Even 18 months after launch, it is still the top selling phone on the planet. Yet they significantly improved nearly everything else. AND they added a great new feature (Siri).



    Given that the average iPhone user will be able to upgrade at no cost (since, unlike most Android phones, there is still substantial resale value for the old phone), it's a lot of extra performance at no net cost. Regardless of what the paid Android shills have to say.







    So defending a phone in which nearly every single feature is greatly improved is somehow indefensible?



    Wow, how much did THAT line cost Google?



    this latest rambling of yours clearly shows your an apple short of a picnic. where this google non-sense come from? are you a Galaxy user par chance? you seem to know about android and google practices far better than I do. We are talking about Apple and iPhone here, stick to the issue.



    It's my choice to buy or not to buy an iPhone (as it is your buy or not buy your latest Galaxy) but also my choice to criticise Mr Cook for yesterday's damp squib. Care to expand on how one can upgrade to iPhone 4S (from what model?) free of charge. The fact is iPhone 4S is half baked upgrade, an interim solution until iPhone 5. Deal with it and stop playing with that Galaxy
  • Reply 597 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    Um, I have been on this site since 2003, and have 1,300+ posts to my name. There is a reason for that. I only own Apple devices, and only will. I want them to compete with Android.



    Appleinsider is often disappointed with Apple, and what it releases. Generally it is the fans who are disappointed.



    What is needed is rational argument, not conspiratorial nonsense about how Google is paying everybody who dis-agrees with you. That post was also reported. I'll keep going until you are banned.



    you don't have to justify yourself to a Galaxy user who thinks is on an Android forum, clearly the guy hasn't got a clue. Good enough only for a laugh.
  • Reply 598 of 641
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post


    It's my choice to buy or not to buy an iPhone (as it is your buy or not buy your latest Galaxy) but also my choice to criticise Mr Cook for yesterday's damp squib.



    And it's my choice to make fun of you for your inane rants.



    Virtually every part of the iPhone 4S is significantly improved. If you want to call that a 'damp squib', that's your choice, but don't complain when people with brains and without vested interests laugh at you.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post


    Care to expand on how one can upgrade to iPhone 4S (from what model?) free of charge.



    I already did - at least twice. I guess reading comprehension isn't one of your strengths.



    I have no plans to change cell phone providers, so extending my contract for 2 more years doesn't cost me anything. When I do that, I can get a 4S for $199. I can sell my iPhone 4 on eBay for around $300. So, not only does it cost me nothing, but I'll actually pocket close to $100.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post


    The fact is iPhone 4S is half baked upgrade, an interim solution until iPhone 5. Deal with it and stop playing with that Galaxy



    Sorry, I wouldn't use a Galaxy if you gave it to me. I prefer quality products.



    Your 'logic' is ridiculous. By your standards, NO phone is ever an upgrade because there will always be something better sometime in the future. That's absurd.
  • Reply 599 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    The market has reacted badly. Analysts generally unimpressed. Polls of normal technology sites unimpressed. My twitter feed unimpressed.



    Not just there. Not just fanboys. ( Although that is an ad homimen I accept, it bests being called a paid shrill of Google).



    And that proves what? That Apple failed to deliver? Or that the blogosphere had been priming the goddamned pump for months about a new design, including photoshopped images of said design from Chinese case manufacturers? Apple never said what they were doing, and they've never given out information before launch day. To me, all that disappointment is the result of the Internet's collective imaginations running wild.
  • Reply 600 of 641
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post


    not at all, it's a perfectly reasonably sentiment; if you buy something new that is an upgrade on the old, not only you want it better but also it looks newer. Especially if you get it unlocked and pay the full whack. He's not shallow, it's you that fails to understand



    The poster said the he/she wanted a new form factor so that people would know it is a new iPhone: When I buy something new, I don't want to be asked if it is the old model.



    Sure, I totally understand wanting to have a new form factor to represent newness much like fashion. No problem with that. But the poster wanted other people to know that it is the new device, not himself or herself.
Sign In or Register to comment.