Check iPhone 4S upgrade eligibility via Apple ahead of Oct. 7 12:01 a.m. preorders

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Before iPhone 4S preorders begin this Friday just after midnight Pacific Time, some customers can check their eligibility for discounted upgrade pricing through Apple's official website.

The newly announced iPhone 4S will be available next Friday, Oct. 14 starting at 8 a.m. local time. But customers will be able to reserve the phone a week ahead of time, starting this Friday at 12:01 a.m. Pacific, 3:01 a.m. Eastern.

In order to simplify the buying process, Apple is offering customers the ability to check eligibility for a discounted upgrade with their current carrier. Some customers may qualify for the maximum subsidy with a new service contract, placing the iPhone 4S at a starting price of $199 for the 16GB model.

Those eligible for upgrade pricing also have options in the 32GB iPhone 4S for $299, and the new high-end 64GB model priced at $399 with subsidy. All models are available in both black and white.

In the U.S., customers can currently check their upgrade eligibility with AT&T and Verizon, the two largest wireless providers in the nation. The ability to check with Sprint, which is the latest carrier to partner with Apple to carry the iPhone, is advertised as "coming soon."

Sporting Apple's speedy A5 dual-core processor, the iPhone 4S is the only way to experience Siri, Apple's new voice command and recognition software. Using natural language, users can execute complex tasks handsfree, doing activities like checking weather and traffic, composing an e-mail or a text message, or adding an appointment to a calendar.

The iPhone 4S sports the same design as its predecessor, the iPhone 4, but adds a new 8-megapixel camera and redesigned camera architecture that allow for even higher quality photos. The iPhone 4S features 1080p high-definition video with image stabilization, and a custom f2.4 lens with an advanced hybrid IR filter. Images are captured at a resolution of 3,264-by-2,448 pixels.

The iPhone 4S will launch on Oct. 14 in the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, and the U.K. It will be available from the Apple Online Store, Apple's retail stores, and through AT&T, Sprint, Verizon Wireless and select Apple Authorized Resellers in the U.S.

Apple has planned a speedy international rollout of the iPhone 4S, which means customers around the world won't have to wait as long for Apple's newest smartphone. The iPhone 4S is planned to debut in 22 more countries by the end of October, including Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Need more clarification from AT&T/Apple whether ALL early adopters of the iPhone 4 will get an early upgrade for the 4s.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    One thing for sure, there won't be a shortage this time round

Btw, why don't I see the iPhone on Sprint's website? I thought they were carrying it now.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

Need more clarification from AT&T/Apple whether ALL early adopters of the iPhone 4 will get an early upgrade for the 4s.

Got my iPhone 4 last June and the upgrade eligibility check says I'm eligible for the full discounted price after only 15 months. I was surprised to see this considering it hasn't even been a year and a half yet. Looks like AT&T is anxious to lock me in for another 2 years (which I'm ok with).
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Got my iPhone 4 last June and the upgrade eligibility check says I'm eligible for the full discounted price after only 15 months. I was surprised to see this considering it hasn't even been a year and a half yet. Looks like AT&T is anxious to lock me in for another 2 years (which I'm ok with).

This reminds me, I should be out of contract in 3 months. Sweet! I could get a 4G phone now that android is more mature. I bet they'll have those quad core jobbies out by the time my iPhone4 breaks.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    So can I sign up to have my phone shipped to me and avoid AT&T lines, but still get it on Friday? Never tried the shipping method before, and the idiots at AT&T annoy me. But I don't want Apple people messing with my AT&T account.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Btw, why don't I see the iPhone on Sprint's website? I thought they were carrying it now.

They bet the farm on iphone... haven't you heard? this lackluster iphone release will save sprint. it's extra evident by the complete lapse of any mention or promotion during any of the iphone news yesterday.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

So can I sign up to have my phone shipped to me and avoid AT&T lines, but still get it on Friday? Never tried the shipping method before, and the idiots at AT&T annoy me. But I don't want Apple people messing with my AT&T account.

Worked just fine for me last time.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Either that or Sprint isn't really getting the iPhone 4 or 4S until later... which I hope not. I also hope that they'll bump my eligibility up so I can get one now.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    This is the first time I'm planning to preorder an iPhone.

I've already verified my eligibility on Apple's site. But I'm confused on the details for preorder. Apple store employees don't seem to know much about the online preorder process. so please help me:

1. I want to know what details Apple will ask me on Oct 7th when i pre-order

will they ask for credit card info ? or is it billed through the ATT a/c ?

will they do a credit check ?

2. I want to upgrade 2 lines out of 4 lines in my family plan (both are eligible for upgrade).

Does Apple's preorder system allow this ?

3. Does Apple's pre-order process allow shipping each of my 2 orders to different states ? (my brother is not in my state)

4. How long will it take to reach me ? could it take as long as a week to deliver ? it seems like shipping is free though, correct ?
  • Reply 10 of 48
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I bought my iPhone 4 the very first day it went on sale last year. AT&T says the iPhone 4S will cost $449 until November 25th. I think the 4S is awesome but I am going to skip this generation. It will be the first model of iPhone I havent owned. Upgrading the iPhone 4 with iOS5/iCloud gives me essentially a brand-new phone for free.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Anyone know what time pre orders starts over in the UK on Friday the 7th?
  • Reply 12 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Why?

Any individual can check on either Apple or AT&T's web site. Why would you care whether someone else might get an upgrade?

For me, when I checked a few weeks ago, I was told I wouldn't be entitled to a discounted upgrade until mid-November. When I checked yesterday and today, it's telling me I can get a discounted upgrade today - so something must have changed.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:

Of course not. You can upgrade early, but you will pay a much higher cost.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Are you on AT&T (seems so) and are you the main account holder? If so, you automatically are able to upgrade after 14 months to any phone. Only the secondary phones on an account must wait 20 months to do an upgrade.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inoutsider View Post

This is the first time I'm planning to preorder an iPhone.

I've already verified my eligibility on Apple's site. But I'm confused on the details for preorder. Apple store employees don't seem to know much about the online preorder process. so please help me:

1. I want to know what details Apple will ask me on Oct 7th when i pre-order

will they ask for credit card info ? or is it billed through the ATT a/c ?

will they do a credit check ?

2. I want to upgrade 2 lines out of 4 lines in my family plan (both are eligible for upgrade).

Does Apple's preorder system allow this ?

3. Does Apple's pre-order process allow shipping each of my 2 orders to different states ? (my brother is not in my state)

4. How long will it take to reach me ? could it take as long as a week to deliver ? it seems like shipping is free though, correct ?

1. The standard information you need to upgrade/buy a phone.

2. If not, just make two (2) separate orders.

3. Most likely not. Most retailers are strict about shipping to alternative address. You might be able to register that address with Apple. Call them.

4. No longer than a week unless it is back ordered. People last time got their phones in a couple of days. I think some got them the day they were available in the stores.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

They bet the farm on iphone... haven't you heard? this lackluster iphone release will save sprint. it's extra evident by the complete lapse of any mention or promotion during any of the iphone news yesterday.

They spent all their cash on iPhone stockpile, had to let the webmaster go
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I bought my iPhone 4 the very first day it went on sale last year. AT&T says the iPhone 4S will cost $449 until November 25th. I think the 4S is awesome but I am gong to skip this generation. It will be the first model of iPhone I havent owned.

I found the same 11/25 date on mine too. I also bought on launch day last year. The 11/25 date is silly really. Another way for AT&T to gash early adopters/"loyal" customers. AT&T really does try hard to lose customers. My guess is most every one who bought on launch day last year are in the same boat. If that's true, expect a bunch of articles from the tech media about it (since it affects them too).
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boilerfan97 View Post

I found the same 11/25 date on mine too. I also bought on launch day last year. The 11/25 date is silly really. Another way for AT&T to gash early adopters/"loyal" customers. AT&T really does try hard to lose customers. My guess is most every one who bought on launch day last year are in the same boat. If that's true, expect a bunch of articles from the tech media about it (since it affects them too).

The fun part of the 11/25 date which I also ended up with is Black Friday
  • Reply 19 of 48
    What about those of us who are "Grandfathered" into unlimited data with AT&T? If we upgrade online through Apple's website, will we still be able to keep that unlimited data?
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sterian View Post

What about those of us who are "Grandfathered" into unlimited data with AT&T? If we upgrade online through Apple's website, will we still be able to keep that unlimited data?

The story (so far) is customers with unlimited plans on both AT&T and Verizon will be able to keep their unlimited plan while upgrading at the subsidized price. That could change at any moment, and believe me, you'll hear about it if they ever do.

For now, as long as you're a current customer with the plan, you'll keep it.