Apple showcases iPhone 4S camera with high-resolution sample photos

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Apparently you're the only ones up here to be happy about this update. I'm not saying that I'm not, but I doubt it will be enough until next October with all the competition coming. Hey the Galaxy S II has had the same specs for months now! They'll need to redesign before that, maybe June.

General question to all the neg-nellies...So what wasn't offered? It seems like the big complaint is there's not a bigger screen. That's the only thing that would of wow'd me. But to go from a 3GS to 4s is pretty darn good update. Why should I go to a Samsung etc? Don't get it. That said, all manufactures will be incremental from now on. Only so much stuff that can be crammed in.

processor... Can't compare by spec the speeds(like comparing ARM to Intel)

4g... Super battery hog... Really ready for prime time?

NFC... What flavor? Use where?

4s is top of the line phone...sans a bigger screen for that crowd. IMO, Don't underestimate Siri, could be huge.

So, What should have been done to Wow everyone? What would have been a Sammy killer?
  • Reply 62 of 83
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Well then I stand to be corrected. So then the new camera's picture will not therefor fit the screen ratio of the phone exactly and therefor give us black bars on the top and bottom or will it scan or blowup the image? If what u say is factual?

What he says is factual. 8MP images are 3264x2448. You could easily have checked this online and also by downloading the flu size images and checking the exif data.

The iPhone 4 display is 960x640, as the ratio is not 1.1 with the 8MP image so to view the full image at once will add black bars just not very big ones.

Balloon Picture:
    • Dimensions: 3264 x 2448

• Device make: Apple

• Device model: iPhone 4S

• Color space: RGB

• Color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

• Focal length: 4.28

• Alpha channel: No

• Red eye: No

• F number: 2.4

• Exposure program: 2

• Exposure time: 1/1,623

Beach Picture:
    • Dimensions: 3264 x 2448

• Device make: Apple

• Device model: iPhone 4S

• Color space: RGB

• Color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

• Focal length: 4.28

• Alpha channel: No

• Red eye: No

• F number: 2.4

• Exposure program: 2

• Exposure time: 1/449

• Reply 63 of 83
    shaoshao Posts: 39member
    this just in. the 'best' mobile phone takes 'ok' photos in good lighting conditions.

world not impressed, goes to samsung phones instead.

lol.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

And these are obviously professional photos taken by a professional photographer.

They may be unretouched, but that doesn't mean they weren't taken with professional lighting and under optimal conditions.

No doubt it's a really good camera for a cell phone, but your mileage most assuredly WILL vary.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Unless you are a professional photographer, the iPhone camera is superior to DSLR in at least three aspects.

1. Touch Focus.

2. Geotagging.

3. Face recognition.

All three functions are right in the iPhone and Photos app.

Not trying to argue here for the sake of arguing, but even green photographers will take much better shots with a DSLR. The 4S hands down has the best "point shoot and forget" ability of anything on the market, but it really can't hold a finger to a DSLR.

...I might be defending the new DSLR I just bought a bit
  • Reply 66 of 83
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Those pictures were obviously cropped - how do I know they weren't Photoshopped as well.

they're all 3264x2448 pixels, the camera's actual resolution. so no, they haven't been cropped.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

These images haven't been cropped or Photoshopped. You can look at the detailed Exif data if you're interested.

That is the first thing I checked. Apple would not risk lying about that. If they say it is not retouched then you can trust that. What they didn't say is whether or not the iPhone was on a tripod. That makes all the difference in the world. As the saying goes "the best camera is the one you have with you." Not many people are going to carry around a tripod for their iPhone, but if I was shooting those photos for Apple I would definitely use one.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    Quote:

Those pictures were obviously cropped - how do I know they weren't Photoshopped as well.

With the amount of motion blur and noise in those, who cares. They're not even nice pictures for showing off light range. Sunsets are a much nicer pay to view color spectrums and low light details that this camera claims over the iphone 4.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    BTW if you want to see where the balloons were taken:

Google map
  • Reply 70 of 83
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I would have liked to have seen some low light photos. I'm curious what effect that Hybrid IR sensor has.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Quote:

Except that it's not:

New body-Much lighter & much thinner.

Not 1 but 2 cameras.

Twice as fast.

Smart cover compatible.

Gyroscope.

iMovie.

Did I miss anything?

It is twice as fast, support higher network speeds, has longer battery life, the front camera is much better than the last one (while iPad's cameras are not above average), and has Siri, which is 10x more important than iMovie.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Not trying to argue here for the sake of arguing, but even green photographers will take much better shots with a DSLR. The 4S hands down has the best "point shoot and forget" ability of anything on the market, but it really can't hold a finger to a DSLR.

...I might be defending the new DSLR I just bought a bit

He was exaggerating, I agree, but this is just much better than any Android camera
  • Reply 73 of 83
    rrobrrrobr Posts: 28member
    The EXIF info in the files give the latitude/longitude. That puts the location off Hwy 101, between Santa Rosa and Sebastopol, where anyone who frequents that area has probably seen hot air balloons, no staging was necessary to get this shot. None of these shots look staged, if by that you mean special lighting was used.

These are damn nice pictures, coming from a phone. Upgrading from my 3GS will be a pleasure. Faster processor speeds will be useful when running these larger pictures through the photo apps I use, so that is very welcome. I look forward to exploring the capabilities of Siri-although it wasn't a feature I'd given much thought to, the demos were impressive. I expect I'll find a lot of uses for it, especially since phone keyboards, touchscreen or otherwise, don't fit my fingers well.

iOS5, if Apple ever figures out how to let us merge two Apple IDs, will be the real game changer because it will affect all iOS devices.

But the most important aspect of this new phone for me is that now that it's out, all the whiney tantrum-throwing crybabies who want a revolution in their pocket every 12 months, like clockwork, can all go buy whatever flavor of 'droid suits their fancy and populate other discussion boards with their drivel.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Nice. These are easily better than my chunky (then mid-range) Lumix circa 2007. Will be great to have a camera of this quality on me at all times.

Do you think Apple staged the balloon flight or are these a selection of candid moments?

• Reply 74 of 83
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrobr View Post

But the most important aspect of this new phone for me is that now that it's out, all the whiney tantrum-throwing crybabies who want a revolution in their pocket every 12 months, like clockwork, can all go buy whatever flavor of 'droid suits their fancy and populate other discussion boards with their drivel.

You must be new around here.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    rrobrrrobr Posts: 28member
    A boy can dream, can't he?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

You must be new around here.

• Reply 76 of 83
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

4. Connectivity for immediate sharing.

Unless you're using iCloud where they just sync up with your other devices/computers automatically.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:

What part of "unretouched photographs taken using iPhone 4S" don't you understand?

(Obviously? Because the pros that took them couldn't frame them nicely enough to begin with?)
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrobr View Post

The EXIF info in the files give the latitude/longitude. That puts the location off Hwy 101, between Santa Rosa and Sebastopol, where anyone who frequents that area has probably seen hot air balloons, no staging was necessary to get this shot. None of these shots look staged, if by that you mean special lighting was used.

it was staged. it's in the promo videos for the iphone during the presentation.
  • Reply 79 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

it was staged. it's in the promo videos for the iphone during the presentation.

True, they had to stage it otherwise those grape vine owners and balloon owners would be suing Apple as would the people in the shots. It doesn't matter if it is staged, it was shot early in the morning, the time when the balloons always take off, so the lighting was ideal. I just wonder if it was hand held or not.
  • Reply 80 of 83
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    I wonder if AI is suffering from an invasion of the sock-puppets as of late.

so many low-post, derision-only accounts.

who critiques a highly-impressive --> cell phone <-- camera by way of comparison to a many hundreds (or thousands) of dollar dSLR?

Those, to me, are impressive photos and would do well with a quick retouch in photoshop. For many folks, the quality is enough to not have to bother to carry around any other sort of camera..not to mention forsaking that video camera. Battery hog? Who cares...There are plenty of products like This out right now.