Check iPhone 4S upgrade eligibility via Apple ahead of Oct. 7 12:01 a.m. preorders

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    With two kids, I will be up at midnight anyways so I will be awake to preorder two iPhone 4S'.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boilerfan97 View Post

I found the same 11/25 date on mine too. I also bought on launch day last year. The 11/25 date is silly really. Another way for AT&T to gash early adopters/"loyal" customers. AT&T really does try hard to lose customers. My guess is most every one who bought on launch day last year are in the same boat. If that's true, expect a bunch of articles from the tech media about it (since it affects them too).

You're wrong. I bought AFTER launch day and am eligible for an upgrade today. It has to do partially with how much you spend.

As for AT&T gouging customers, did you read the contract you signed? Under your contract, AT&T doesn't have to discount another upgrade for TWO YEARS (i.e., next June for early adopters). They're allowing you to upgrade 6 months early (that is, they've only recovered 18 months of service fees rather than the 24 that the contract is based on). How are they ripping you off?
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You're wrong. I bought AFTER launch day and am eligible for an upgrade today. It has to do partially with how much you spend.

It definitely does. I bought my IP4 about 4 months after it was released. When I confirmed whether or not my phones qualified for the upgrade to IP5's the sales rep chuckled and said "Definitely".

But I also have 3 phones on my plan and have have been with them since IP1.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:

As for AT&T gouging customers, did you read the contract you signed? Under your contract, AT&T doesn't have to discount another upgrade for TWO YEARS (i.e., next June for early adopters). They're allowing you to upgrade 6 months early (that is, they've only recovered 18 months of service fees rather than the 24 that the contract is based on). How are they ripping you off?

Perhaps you misunderstood. I did not say "upgrade". I am eligible for an upgrade. I was referring to the subsidized price. It makes no business sense and seems just a bit silly to make loyal customers wait a little over a month for the subsidized price. For all of the previous launches they gave most the subsidized price at the start. I know I always received it without saying a word. I've been a AT&T customer for over 10 years, they never lost a dime in profit long term from my account because they moved up the availability of the subsidized price.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sterian View Post

What about those of us who are "Grandfathered" into unlimited data with AT&T? If we upgrade online through Apple's website, will we still be able to keep that unlimited data?

Yes, just call AT&T or go to an AT&T store. They will look up your status as being grandfathered and will give you the correct unlimited data plan. I have already done this once.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:

Perhaps you misunderstood. I did not say "upgrade". I am eligible for an upgrade. I was referring to the subsidized price. It makes no business sense and seems just a bit silly to make loyal customers wait a little over a month for the subsidized price. For all of the previous launches they gave most the subsidized price at the start. I know I always received it without saying a word. I've been a AT&T customer for over 10 years, they never lost a dime in profit long term from my account because they moved up the availability of the subsidized price.

When I said 'upgrade', I was referring to a subsidized upgrade.

What part of my post didn't you understand? You signed an agreement when you got a discounted iPhone 4 that said that you would not be able to get a subsidized upgrade until you had paid for 24 months of service. AT&T is allowing you to get a subsidized upgrade after paying for less than 24 months (anywhere between 14 and 18 months as near as I can tell). How are they ripping you off by giving you another subsidy before you've met your contractual obligation for the last one?

The other thing you don't seem to comprehend is that AT&T pays a large price for the iPhone that they delivered to you. I don't know the exact amount, but it's far more than the $199 you paid. So, they have to recover that excess cost from your contract fees. Let's say that they paid $599. That means that they need to collect enough money from you to pay for your phone service PLUS recover the $400 difference. Until they've recovered that money, they're not going to let you upgrade. And that explains why some people get to upgrade in 14 months while others have to wait 18. The more you pay, the sooner AT&T recovers its initial investment.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

When I said 'upgrade', I was referring to a subsidized upgrade.

What part of my post didn't you understand? You signed an agreement when you got a discounted iPhone 4 that said that you would not be able to get a subsidized upgrade until you had paid for 24 months of service. AT&T is allowing you to get a subsidized upgrade after paying for less than 24 months (anywhere between 14 and 18 months as near as I can tell). How are they ripping you off by giving you another subsidy before you've met your contractual obligation for the last one?

The other thing you don't seem to comprehend is that AT&T pays a large price for the iPhone that they delivered to you. I don't know the exact amount, but it's far more than the $199 you paid. So, they have to recover that excess cost from your contract fees. Let's say that they paid $599. That means that they need to collect enough money from you to pay for your phone service PLUS recover the $400 difference. Until they've recovered that money, they're not going to let you upgrade. And that explains why some people get to upgrade in 14 months while others have to wait 18. The more you pay, the sooner AT&T recovers its initial investment.

I fully understand. I guess I can't have an opinion without being attacked. Wow. I hope you have a better day.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    My eligibility is November 18th and I pre-ordered my iPhone 4 that night it became available online at like 3:00am EST. I haven't been the best this past year of paying AT&T right on time (a few days past the marked due date to coincide with pay day) so I wonder if that is why I am not eligible right away.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

This reminds me, I should be out of contract in 3 months. Sweet! I could get a 4G phone now that android is more mature. I bet they'll have those quad core jobbies out by the time my iPhone4 breaks.

Android phone 4g or not they are awfully slow and the software is terrible + the phone quality is poor across all brands
  • Reply 30 of 48
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Those of you who own the 4 you should be patient. iPhone 5 will likely appear in April - June of next year. I bet they had some last minute hiccup which prevented them from launching it yesterday. That means that they should be able to fix it relatively quickly and launch it sometime Q2 of next year. Obviously they could launch it in Q1 but but then people who bought 4S will be up in arms. So look for the iPhone 5 at the very latest, in June.

That's when I'm planning to upgrade my 4.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    I'm in. Siri did for me. All things considered, I would be Ok with my 4 and iOS5, but Siri will streamline so much for me. I'm eligible for whatever upgrade I want so I'm there!

Just sold the 4 too for $400. I'm good.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCC View Post

Those of you who own the 4 you should be patient. iPhone 5 will likely appear in April - June of next year. I bet they had some last minute hiccup which prevented them from launching it yesterday. That means that they should be able to fix it relatively quickly and launch it sometime Q2 of next year. Obviously they could launch it in Q1 but but then people who bought 4S will be up in arms. So look for the iPhone 5 at the very latest, in June.

That's when I'm planning to upgrade my 4.

I guess it's not obvious that Apple held onto the upgrade to be able to launch iCloud, iOS 5 and the phone together, so that you get a brand new experience right out of the gate without having to wait for these services a few months apart.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Either that or Sprint isn't really getting the iPhone 4 or 4S until later... which I hope not. I also hope that they'll bump my eligibility up so I can get one now.

Ahhh... or maybe Sprint did bet the farm on the iPhone 5 and not the 4S
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Out of curiosity, for those of you who got the iPhone 4 on launch day and are already eligible for the fully subsidized $199 for the 16GB on AT&T, how much is your monthly bill? I got my iPhone 4 on launch day and I'm not eligible until Feb, 2012. I'm on a family plan that spends ~$250/mo, but am not the primary phone. I noticed that some of you said only the primary phone is eligible for an earlier upgrade, is there any way I can have my phone moved to the "primary phone" temporarily (or permanently, if it doesn't really matter) to get the early subsidized upgrade?
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Like most of you I bought my iPhone 4 on launch day ( I working at the Apple Store at the time) I checked my upgrade eligibilty and it also said 11/25/2011. I just spoke to an AT&T representative and I had explained to her my situation she said it was policy to be eligible for an upgrade every 20 months, and that for an early upgrade it would be $449 when I told her about my friend being eligible for the $199 ( He purchased the phone same day as me) she didn't know how to respond. I then asked her the termination fee and informed that it was only $175. The way I see it is that it would be cheaper for me to cancel my ATT plan and go to Verizon
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:

I fully understand. I guess I can't have an opinion without being attacked. Wow. I hope you have a better day.

No one attacked you. You posted an inane comment (repeatedly) and I explained why AT&T does it the way they do.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what's better get on a list at att or buy from apple

what gets you the phone faster
  • Reply 38 of 48
    I have bought all previous iPhones on launch day. Never paid late and up until 6 months ago had a greater than $100 monthly bill.

I switched companies and get a better FAN discount and my monthly bill is $99.87 each month.

My upgrade date is February 19, 2012!

Not exactly the way to engender loyalty in customers for AT&T. Here I am willing to fork out cash for 2 new phones, commit to 2 more years and they are preventing this.

Bad form.

Quote:

I found the same 11/25 date on mine too. I also bought on launch day last year. The 11/25 date is silly really. Another way for AT&T to gash early adopters/"loyal" customers. AT&T really does try hard to lose customers. My guess is most every one who bought on launch day last year are in the same boat. If that's true, expect a bunch of articles from the tech media about it (since it affects them too).

• Reply 39 of 48
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

I would go with Apple. AT&T customer service at 3am/Midnight isn't going to be a happy place.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Buy from Apple.com and have it shipped to your house. When the iPhone 4 came out it arrived at my door the day BEFORE it was available in the stores.

BTW, my upgrade date shows 11/19/2011. I have the Family 700 plan.