Apple co-founder Steve Jobs dies

Comments

• Reply 101 of 377
    I wonder if Apple will be able to sustain their level of innovation and growth over the long term without Steve Jobs to lead the way.
  • Reply 102 of 377
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Steve's life was a testament to being passionate about one's ability to change the world.

His vision has impacted my life and business in numerous ways, for the better.

I'm glad he had the chance to go out while Apple was on top.

It's a poignant reminder that we all have God-given talents and abilities that can be used to better the world in various ways,

and only a limited time in this life to do so. No amount of status or money changes that simple fact.

thank you for writing this.. beautiful.
  • Reply 103 of 377
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    This is sad news. Steve was perhaps the only public figure who i ever idolized. His technological vision has defined an entire era.
  • Reply 104 of 377
    SJ was a truely special individual, the world has lost something special today.

Sincerest condolences to his family.
  • Reply 105 of 377
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

Maybe that's why Apple named the iPhone 4S - kind of a shorthand tribute "for Steve."

That does make sense. The iPhone 4S(teve). That's how I'll always remember it.
  • Reply 106 of 377
    moggymoggy Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's to the crazy one

Beautiful. We'll miss ya Steve.
  • Reply 107 of 377
    Thank-you Steve for all of your contributions to the world of computing. You truly changed the world.

Rest eternal grant him, Lord, and let light perpetual shine upon him. Amen.
  • Reply 108 of 377
    Wow! I'm very sad but I want to say thank you Steve and I am going to celebrate your life and how you made my life better. Your legacy will be never forgotten.
  • Reply 109 of 377
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    A sad irony that I got an alert of Steve's passing on the iPad. RIP
  • Reply 109 of 377
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robre View Post

...so sad - while I'm sitting here in the office - almost paralyzed. What comes to my mind is an image from the keynote yesterday. That chair in the front row with a big "Reserved" sign on it...

Rest in Peace, Steve. You were the Best! Thank you.

you are absolutely right!.. I remember.. now it makes sense.
  • Reply 111 of 377
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    There are simply no words that can express the loss.

To me, the thing that was greatest about Jobs was his quest for excellence.
  • Reply 112 of 377
    gescomgescom Posts: 69member
    RIP

Now you can all join the Anti Corpo movement. http://www.occupytogether.org/. Take Care!
  • Reply 113 of 377
    modemode Posts: 163member
    He will be an icon in technology that will never be forgotten.
  • Reply 114 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The passing of Jobs was announced on Wednesday by Apple. The company has encouraged "thoughts, memories, and condolences" to be sent to [email protected].

I had guessed his time was short - especially when he did not show for the iPhone 4S intro (I am sure he would have been their if at all possible) but even knowing for a while now his time was short with us here, it is still hard to keep the tears from running downing my cheeks.

At times harsh, but almost always a visionary -- it will be difficult. I will miss a man I scarcely knew personally (talked with twice) but sent chills up my spine with some of the incredible insight he had.

Tis a much better place you are now and a place I look forward to talking longer about much more important things than the technical wizardry you and your team put together here and now.

We loved him in life, and will continue to until we meet again.

jOhn
  • Reply 115 of 377
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    It's so hard to describe the impact that you had on my life even though we never met. You will be missed greatly by all. God speed and rest peacefully knowing that you were one of the lucky few that, through hard work and amazing creativity, was able to leave a footprint that will last forever.
  • Reply 116 of 377
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    From Vic Gundotra over a G+

One Sunday morning, January 6th, 2008 I was attending religious services when my cell phone vibrated. As discreetly as possible, I checked the phone and noticed that my phone said "Caller ID unknown". I choose to ignore.

After services, as I was walking to my car with my family, I checked my cell phone messages. The message left was from Steve Jobs. "Vic, can you call me at home? I have something urgent to discuss" it said.

Before I even reached my car, I called Steve Jobs back. I was responsible for all mobile applications at Google, and in that role, had regular dealings with Steve. It was one of the perks of the job.

"Hey Steve - this is Vic", I said. "I'm sorry I didn't answer your call earlier. I was in religious services, and the caller ID said unknown, so I didn't pick up".

Steve laughed. He said, "Vic, unless the Caller ID said 'GOD', you should never pick up during services".

I laughed nervously. After all, while it was customary for Steve to call during the week upset about something, it was unusual for him to call me on Sunday and ask me to call his home. I wondered what was so important?

"So Vic, we have an urgent issue, one that I need addressed right away. I've already assigned someone from my team to help you, and I hope you can fix this tomorrow" said Steve.

"I've been looking at the Google logo on the iPhone and I'm not happy with the icon. The second O in Google doesn't have the right yellow gradient. It's just wrong and I'm going to have Greg fix it tomorrow. Is that okay with you?"

Of course this was okay with me. A few minutes later on that Sunday I received an email from Steve with the subject "Icon Ambulance". The email directed me to work with Greg Christie to fix the icon.

Since I was 11 years old and fell in love with an Apple II, I have dozens of stories to tell about Apple products. They have been a part of my life for decades. Even when I worked for 15 years for Bill Gates at Microsoft, I had a huge admiration for Steve and what Apple had produced.

But in the end, when I think about leadership, passion and attention to detail, I think back to the call I received from Steve Jobs on a Sunday morning in January. It was a lesson I'll never forget. CEOs should care about details. Even shades of yellow. On a Sunday.

To one of the greatest leaders I've ever met, my prayers and hopes are with you Steve.

-Vic
  • Reply 117 of 377
    A true loss. Things felt strange yesterday when we didn't see Steve on stage.
  • Reply 118 of 377
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    A technical visionary that we will unlikely see the likes again. I was hopeful his direction would continue behind the scenes.
  • Reply 119 of 377
    ‎"Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."- Steve Jobs
  • Reply 120 of 377
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Bill Gates:

Quote:

I?m truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs? death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.

Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives.

The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come.

For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it?s been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely.