Samsung takes stab at iPhone 4S with Galaxy S II comparison sheet

Comments

• Reply 221 of 244
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Haven't you read the news?! Experts at Display Strategy Analytics agree 2:1 they like lower pixel density AMOLED displays over S-IPS high pixel density displays with more pixels per square inch, because people like fuzzier displays.

The microSD is truly sad.

P.S. How come no one is talking about the iPod Touch getting the RETINA DISPLAY? Talk about a dream targeting the iPod Touch, iPhone 4+ and obviously the upcoming iPad 3 with Retina level quality displays.

Having 960 x 640 as the baseline for application development is a big improvement.

For those of us who are starting to lose our near field vision that lower resolution is the difference between being able to use the device and having to dig out our reading glasses first. That's a massive difference in usability that Apple is going to have to address as the population ages.

Being able to double your storage for a few dollars is sad? In what way?

The iPod touch got a retina display LAST YEAR. This year all it got was a white paint job. The entire iPod lineup got such minimal changes that I was surprised they bothered to have Phil up on stage.

Apple is still selling the iPhone 3GS so unfortunately developers will still have to support 480x320 for years to come.
  • Reply 222 of 244
    That's it. I'm done. I used to generally favor Samsung products for accessories. No more. I'm boycotting Samsung products until/unless they start to show respect for Apple's intellectual property. Finally an American company is designing products that I'm happy to own. Not interested in helping Samsung and their ilk drive Apple out of business, or helping feed the perpetual moaning about how Americans can't do anything competively. Buh-bye Samsung. I'll be buying my next monitor from LG or Sharp, or someone else who doesn't enter into a manufacturing agreement and then copy design details they become privy to.
  • Reply 223 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seamus1602 View Post

Is there a faster phone processor than the A5? A thinner phone than the iPhone? A better camera than the 4S's?

Speaking with all sincerity, what makes you believe the iPhone 4S A5 is (or will be) faster than devices that are already out with Dual Core 1.0, 1.2, and 1.5 GHz chips?

Quote:

Its very much like TVs. Here are 2 examples (not real sizes, just used as an example)

TV#1: 40in 1080p

TV#2: 52in 720p

Is TV#1 'midline'? I do not believe so. It's smaller and sharper. Like the Retina Display.

Again, with all sincerity... and this is just my opinion which may be skewed since I work with large / high res displays... with just those specs, I would classify both of those TVs as mid-grade.
  • Reply 224 of 244
    I own an iPhone4 on Verizon, and a Samsung Galaxy S2 E4GT on Sprint. In addition, I have a older iPad and Asus Transformer Honeycomb tablet. I'm not an Apple person or Android person. I like gadgets of all flavor.

That said, overall, the Sprint Version of the Galaxy S2 is a more enticing device over the iP4.

Firstly, the super amoled plus display just looks more vibrant, with better contrast, colors and true blacks. Plus the display is massive so everything from surfing, to watching netflix, to viewing photos is far more enjoyable with a bigger display. The higher resolution of the iP4 is less striking, and the small display doesn't provide more information to the eye like the higher res should.

Samsung has done a great job on the UI as well. It's super responsive, has a high refresh rate and is very stable. None of the ugly jerkiness seen in 90% of android phones is present on the GS2. (Motoroloa makes horrific android UI's)

Lastly, iOS has a great user experience, high reliability and stability, and looks great, but the interface is equivalent to an android app drawer. Android gives up some looks and user experience nuances, but in return you get a vast array versatility, OS control and widgets. I love my widgets and wish Apple would add that feature to the iPhone.

That's my spiel on this matter. Also, I am dumping the Verizon iPhone4 for the Sprint iPhone4S because where I live Sprint 3G is very good, and Sprint offers unlimited data plans, and it is cheaper. It will replace my wife's Evo 4G. Anyone that can't see the iP4 is a big leap over the iP4S isn't paying attention.
  • Reply 225 of 244
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Apple legal team already ringing Samsung legal team to bring this down or they will sue...

For what. As long as there is nothing false in the details there's nothing illegal about it
  • Reply 226 of 244
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    It's the user experience and not features because Apple knows through the many years of warfare with the beige box they know they can't compete on features.

For one thing the many competing manufacturers will always try to differentiate their products through features but always lack the ease of use experience which Apple products are famous for.
  • Reply 227 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

It's the user experience and not features because Apple knows through the many years of warfare with the beige box they know they can't compete on features.

For one thing the many competing manufacturers will always try to differentiate their products through features but always lack the ease of use experience which Apple products are famous for.

Features matter. If they didn't, there would be more universal enthusiasm about the iP4S.

If it featured even a 3.9" screen, it would have made a huge difference in shaping opinion.
  • Reply 228 of 244
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Features matter. If they didn't, there would be more universal enthusiasm about the iP4S.

If it featured even a 3.9" screen, it would have made a huge difference in shaping opinion.

I think that the only reason why the iP4S isn't being praised is that idiots on the blog sites (including AI) have been spreading ridiculous, unrealistic rumors (LTE, 4.5" screen, NFC, etc, etc, etc) and people start to expect that. In isolation, this would have been seen as a great upgrade (nearly every feature in the phone improved - with a couple of new ones (Siri and Cloud) added).

However, that's a short term issue. Once they start getting their hands on the 4S, it's going to be like the 3GS - it will be widely praised as a great phone.

For those using AAPL as a metric, that is confirmed. The stock has jumped around a bit in the last day or so, but the long term trend is still very positive. They're up 10% in 6 months compared to NASDAQ which is down 10% in 6 months.
  • Reply 229 of 244
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? I'm not really sure...

I had seen a lot of people throwing around statements about the different size possibilities, so I just did some math to show which sizes would still be 300+ DPI and how far below that things would drop if the iPhone had another full inch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The iPod touch got a retina display LAST YEAR. This year all it got was a white paint job. The entire iPod lineup got such minimal changes that I was surprised they bothered to have Phil up on stage.

It got the pixel density last year, but the screen was still a TN instead of IPS screen. I believe this year they upgraded the iPod Touch to the IPS screen, which is the other half of the Retina Display.
  • Reply 230 of 244
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

MS sells because it essentially has a monopoly in the business segment, and pretty much is a member of a duopoly for OS's. Comparing this to a market that is full to the brim with competitors is really a false comparison.

Of note, also, is that your insinuation here is that Apple makes tons of cash selling inferior products. That's a laughable assertion on its face. Apple's products are widely lauded, have the best consumer satisfaction ratings, and are also the products that the rest of the industry seeks to copy. To argue that they are 'junk' is tantamount to saying that the rest of the industry (those who have lower consumer satisfaction ratings than Apple, for example) sell something even lower than junk.

Lets apply some logic to what we say, ok?

Um, no. Let's not try to read between the lines because you're not very good at it. Don't put words in my mouth. Someone said you can't make loads of cash selling inferior products and I responded with how MS has done such.

I've been using Apple products since the days of the IIe and have had very few complaints. They've always been top notch.

So let's not try to put words in other people's mouths, ok?
  • Reply 231 of 244
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

.. but I wouldn't put the 4S (or anything Apple makes for that matter) in the same class as some of MS's junk.

Neither would I. I've used Apple II's and Macs over the years, and have an iPod Touch and an iPhone 4 and have never felt that they were anything but high quality.
  • Reply 232 of 244
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

For what. As long as there is nothing false in the details there's nothing illegal about it

There are about a dozen things false in the details, as I mentioned earlier.
  • Reply 233 of 244
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There are about a dozen things false in the details, as I mentioned earlier.

I looked for your post in this thread listing the dozen (give or take) falsehoods listed in Samsung's comparison's. I couldn't find it. I'm curious what Samsung wrote that you considered false?
  • Reply 234 of 244
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I looked for your post in this thread listing the dozen (give or take) falsehoods listed in Samsung's comparison's. I couldn't find it. I'm curious what Samsung wrote that you considered false?

Sorry, yeah, I didn't post a full dozen at once. Here're some:

Quote:

the "thinner overall" argument, the "no memory limitations" argument, the "dedicated outer camera button" argument, the "can't be used as a remote" argument

• Reply 235 of 244
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sorry, yeah, I didn't post a full dozen at once. Here're some:

Gotcha.

I'm with ya on the "no memory limitations", as there's clearly a limit.

Thinner overall? I'd probably agree with the statement since most people would perceive it to be thinner than the iPhone. Open to interpretation I suppose.

The "remote" claim would be technically correct since the iPhone relies on a 3rd party solution to add that capability, right? Still misleading tho as it's an easy add-on, I'll give you that.
  • Reply 236 of 244
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

My GOD...

You are a real Apple fan.

(1) screen quality is just so-so (bigger is not better)

(2) the build of the handset is kind of cheesy (and the body already shows scratches)

(3) the pictures from its camera are quite disappointing, and the video quality is not great for being 1080p

(4) it's really kind of big and awkward to handle

Your son is the only one doesn´t agree with most of 90% of reviews...

Actually a co-worker sent me a text yesterday and asked me to talk him out of returning his GSII for the iPhone 4S. I had nothing to say that led me to believe he should do it..but he talked himself into it anyways.

Complaints were size of the phone, the software being 'clunky' and the battery life. Not everyone is paid by advertisers (reviews) and not everyone just 'accepts' what they find to be faults in a product.
  • Reply 237 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

October 11th. Remember that date.

This is how flagship products should be refined.

Where is it?

Quote:

Samsung Electronics Co.’s decision to delay the launch event for its new smartphone following the death of former Apple CEO Steve Jobs got a muted reaction in South Korea, with most accepting that Samsung, as Apple’s rival as well as its biggest parts supplier, might feel the need to show its respect for Mr. Jobs.

But some analysts and IT bloggers are cautiously suggesting that the South Korean company is waiting for a better timing to maximize the effect of the launch, particularly as a flurry of media reports say Apple’s iPhone 4S has been receiving higher-than-expected pre-orders.

Samsung says a new date and venue for the event has yet to be confirmed but the postponement won’t affect the release of the new phone. The new Samsung phone, expected to run on Google’s latest version of the Android operating system known as Ice Cream Sandwich, was set to be unveiled at an event in San Diego on Oct. 11. The name of the phone is reportedly the Nexus Prime phone. The company hasn’t set that date yet. The iPhone 4S goes on sale in the U.S. on Oct. 14.

Greg Roh, an analyst at HMC Investment & Securities in Seoul, said the delay seems aimed at avoiding a direct battle with the iPhone 4S, which “is enjoying a bigger-than-expected halo effect of Steve Jobs.”

“They might have needed more time to test the new Ice Cream Sandwich operating system,” he added.

• Reply 238 of 244
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 239 of 244
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by another_steve View Post

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this comment. The level of stupidity is off the charts. Whether you like the iPhone or not is your business and I don't much care one way or the other. However, I look at the iPhone 4s and I see a very nice upgrade. I'm trying to understand where the disappointment comes from. Were you expecting Unicorns to be bundled with the iPhone as well? Seriously, the iPhone 4 is still unrivaled in terms of exterior design. It's still the thinnest phone overall and it still is the best looking phone. Beyond that, they've made a massive upgrade to the CPU/GPU with the A5. They've made nice changes to the radio by making it a world phone and provided support for HDSPA+, etc. The camera is more than a simple MP increase, they improved the optics and the sensor with a backlit CMOS sensor, etc. On the software side, in addition to all of the goodness that comes with iOS 5, you get SIRI which is looking better than anything else I've seen, including vlingo, etc. So, again, I have to wonder just what you were expecting and why. Nothing from Apple's history of iPhone upgrades should warrant expectations higher than what we've seen with the iPhone 4s.

So, assuming you don't like the iPhone or you don't like Apple, that's fine. But a phone from Nokia or Sony Ericsson? Which phone would you be thinking of? I've seen nothing even in the same class from either of these companies. There are far better choices from Samsung or HTC, etc. that are at least in the same ballpark as the iPhone.

Yeah, the Galaxy S2 is jut so beautiful. My dream phone would be a blend between the Galaxy S2 and the iPhone 4S (SuperAmoled Retina with Dual core? I'm sold for life!).
  • Reply 240 of 244
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I own an iPhone4 on Verizon, and a Samsung Galaxy S2 E4GT on Sprint. In addition, I have a older iPad and Asus Transformer Honeycomb tablet. I'm not an Apple person or Android person. I like gadgets of all flavor.

That said, overall, the Sprint Version of the Galaxy S2 is a more enticing device over the iP4.

Firstly, the super amoled plus display just looks more vibrant, with better contrast, colors and true blacks. Plus the display is massive so everything from surfing, to watching netflix, to viewing photos is far more enjoyable with a bigger display. The higher resolution of the iP4 is less striking, and the small display doesn't provide more information to the eye like the higher res should.

Samsung has done a great job on the UI as well. It's super responsive, has a high refresh rate and is very stable. None of the ugly jerkiness seen in 90% of android phones is present on the GS2. (Motoroloa makes horrific android UI's)

Lastly, iOS has a great user experience, high reliability and stability, and looks great, but the interface is equivalent to an android app drawer. Android gives up some looks and user experience nuances, but in return you get a vast array versatility, OS control and widgets. I love my widgets and wish Apple would add that feature to the iPhone.

That's my spiel on this matter. Also, I am dumping the Verizon iPhone4 for the Sprint iPhone4S because where I live Sprint 3G is very good, and Sprint offers unlimited data plans, and it is cheaper. It will replace my wife's Evo 4G. Anyone that can't see the iP4 is a big leap over the iP4S isn't paying attention.

Wait.....