Microsoft's Gates, Disney's Iger & more comment on passing of Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following the news that Steve Jobs has died, a number of his contemporaries and some of the most powerful and influential people in the world have commented on his passing, including Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, Disney President Bob Iger, and U.S. President Barack Obama.

Bill Gates

"I’m truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs’ death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.

Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives.

The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come.

For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it’s been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely."

Bob Iger

"Steve Jobs was a great friend as well as a trusted advisor. His legacy will extend far beyond the products he created or the businesses he built. It will be the millions of people he inspired, the lives he changed, and the culture he defined.

Steve was such an ‘original,’ with a thoroughly creative, imaginative mind that defined an era. Despite all he accomplished, it feels like he was just getting started.

With his passing the world has lost a rare original, Disney has lost a member of our family, and I have lost a great friend.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Laurene and his children during this difficult time."

U.S. President Barack Obama

Michelle and I are saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Jobs. Steve was among the greatest of American innovators - brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it.

By building one of the planet's most successful companies from his garage, he exemplified the spirit of American ingenuity. By making computers personal and putting the internet in our pockets, he made the information revolution not only accessible, but intuitive and fun. And by turning his talents to storytelling, he has brought joy to millions of children and grownups alike. Steve was fond of saying that he lived every day like it was his last. Because he did, he transformed our lives, redefined entire industries, and achieved one of the rarest feats in human history: he changed the way each of us sees the world.

The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve's success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented. Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to Steve's wife Laurene, his family, and all those who loved him.

Google Chairman Eric Schmidt

"Steve Jobs is the most successful CEO in the U.S. of the last 25 years. He uniquely combined an artists touch and an engineers vision to build an extraordinary company.. one of the greatest American leaders in history."

Michael Dell

"Today the world lost a visionary leader, the technology industry lost an iconic legend and I lost a friend and fellow founder,” said Michael Dell, chief executive and founder of Dell Inc., the big computer maker. “The legacy of Steve Jobs will be remembered for generations to come. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to the Apple team."

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

"Steve, thank you for being a mentor and a friend. Thanks for showing that what you build can change the world. I will miss you."

Former Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz

"It’s the ultimate sadness. First of all, it’s a young person who was revered, sometimes feared, but always revered. In a way, it’s kind of prophetic; everyone was hoping he could be on stage yesterday” during Apple’s iPhone announcement. "He was a very special person, and he didn’t get to where he was by having people like him all the time. He got to where he was because he had a vision and a purpose. It’s easy to try and please everyone, but he kept to his principles."

California Gov. Jerry Brown

"Steve Jobs was a great California innovator who demonstrated what a totally independent and creative mind can accomplish. Few people have made such a powerful and elegant imprint on our lives. Anne and I wish to express our deepest sympathy to Steve’s wife, Laurene, and their entire family."

Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Steve lived the California Dream every day of his life and he changed the world and inspired all of us."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    He touched many industries and many many hearts all over the world.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    That last quote ruined the whole page.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    I don't get this? The iPhone 4S has TONS of luster. Slightly off topic but still.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    I can't believe you're gone Steve. It's too soon.

I'd like to say hello to Woz if I can, and I miss Steve Jobs even though I never knew him personally.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soggybacon View Post

I really have to say...

Some folks are saying it's a shame that Steve's last product was the lackluster iPhone 4S.

But I believe that since he came back to the company he's had the dream of giving everyone, everywhere, technology.

And with the iPhone, iPod, iPad, Mac, and also his dream, iCloud,...

Jony Ive: "It's real now, isn't it?"

Steve Jobs: "It's real."

Rest in peace, Mr. Jobs.

We'll always "Stay hungry, stay foolish."

Don't forget, his name is on patents that have yet to come.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    Before 1984 there were no computers for artists, thanks Steve.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    I've had the pleasure of meeting Steve on two separate occasions. The man was brilliant in so many ways. He is the reason that I became interested in computers as a kid and drove myself to be more than I was. Thank you Steve, for everything. Rest well.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

That last quote ruined the whole page.

Only if you read it with the accent.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    How could you not
  • Reply 10 of 58
    Michael Dell, huh?
  • Reply 11 of 58
    The puck finally caught up to you Steve, you were always one play ahead of the game.

Thank you for the best 30 years of my computing life!
  • Reply 12 of 58
    cescocesco Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Only if you read it with the accent.

Much welcome levity in this somber hour.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    http://www.google.com/

A little at the bottom, the world will know
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Two of those are just a one-liner. Really Schmidt? Is that all you can do? I'm waiting for any Korean CEO to say something honest and good. They are already in the office when this breaks so....
  • Reply 15 of 58
    being an atheist it is sad to believe this man is no more and the universe will never see him again.

don't know him personally so it's hard to feel great remorse but with such a great mind no longer living amongst us it's damn near close...RIP Steve.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Rest in Peace, Steve. You have truly changed the world and it is better for it.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Thank you Steve Jobs for making our World better.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    Happy Steve suffers no more. Very sad he is gone. He had an amazing ability to see beyond the veil of mundane life into a world that co-exists peacefully and is inter-connected on many levels. Thank you for planting and the seeds of this vision.

Rest in peace. You will be sorely missed by many.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
  • Reply 20 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Michael Dell, huh?

That one was weird I have to say.