Stir Fry Duck?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So any good suggestions on how to prepare this wonderful dish?

I had it at a restaurant one week ago and I have been desperately trying to put together the right recipe since. So far I have got:

Cook duck breast on frying pan and cut into thin slices.

Heat peanut oil in deep and add fine chopped garlic, ginger and chili.

Add carrots, then chinese cabbage, then spring onion, then yellow and green peppers, then mushrooms (everything sliched of course), then almonds and then the duck meat.

Add sherry, sweet chili sauce and oyster sauce.

Serve with rice.

So anything I am missing here? Some kind of vegetable or sauce? Replace the peanut oil with sesame oil? The almonds with peanuts? I´m trying to keep it as "dry" as possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Do your mothers still cook for you?
  • Reply 1 of 7
    Anders, STOP!

The secret is to fry the vegetables ONE BY ONE according to how long they take to 'do' and store them in a covered pan beside the frying pan or skillet. Mix 'em all up when they're done. If you don't, you'll get a curious glutinous mess no good to anyone. Be careful of the mushrooms, since they'll absorb all the oil or stock you put in. You think 'oh look, I need more oil and stock' and then when they're ready, they let all the liquid an oil go again, the bastards, and you've got a curious glutionous mess no good to anyone.

Do the pak-choi (or whatever chinese leaf you're dealing with) near the end, or else they'll get all mashed and again you've got a curious etc. etc. etc.

At least, that's what I do.

HOT PAN, vegetable oil, generous dash of sesame oil in it, careful with the sherry. If you do the duck on its own with the sherry it gets this gorgeous fluffy kind of vibe going on.

MIX IT ALL UP!

oh my god i'm hungry
  • Reply 3 of 7
    holy moses i love duck
  • Reply 4 of 7
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Thanks Hassan. I ahve incorperated your points in my kitchen experiments. Anyone with suggestions on what kind of leaves to use?

And next adventure into the kitchen will be peanut sauce and satay. Any suggestions anyone? I´m rather blank with this one.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    this thread is gay...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    As a gay duck, I'm offended at your offensive statement. Quack quack.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Peanutoid soup. Stupidly easy. Hangover cure NUMBER ONE, and as addictive as crack cocaine.

Fry a red chilli and a thumb of ginger, all chopped up into a kind of paste, for about a minute, enough to flavour the oil, but stop before they burn or go crispy.

Add some fish stock, if you can get it, or some chicken stock if you can't, a tablespooon of soy sauce and a tablespoon of Nam Pla (Thai fish sauce, any supermarket should provide.)

Add a tablespoon of good crunchy no-sugar-added peanut butter and some creamed coconut. When they're dissolved, add some rice noodles (you can can cook them beforehand, if you want liquid, or in the soup pot if you want the soup thicker.)

When they're just about done, add a load beansprouts or chinese leaves (or any kind of leaves you can get.) Just warm the beansprouts through, keep 'em crunchy.

DELICIOUS. DELICIOUS. DELICIOUS.