Apple rivals, partners & press pay tribute to Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For the first time in at least 30 years, Time magazine stopped its presses when news of Steve Jobs's death broke. The publication's latest issue with Jobs on the cover will hit newsstands Friday, and will join numerous other tributes to the late Apple co-founder.

This week's Time cover features a portrait of Jobs, taken by Norman Seeff, in which he is holding the original Macintosh. It originally ran in a story in Rolling Stone in 1984.

The magazine's managing editor, Richard Stengle, made the decision to stop the presses just after his staff had finished work on the issue. An emergency editorial meeting was then held, and a new issue was created in just over three hours, an unprecedented turn of events for the nearly 90-year-old publication.

The magazine noted that in the process of redoing its entire issue, many of the employees worked on the very Apple devices that Jobs helped to invent. It will be the eighth time Jobs graces the cover of Time, the last coinciding with the launch of the iPad in 2010.

Bloomberg Businessweek also announced that it will have a special issue of its magazine devoted to Jobs on newsstands Friday. The 64-page, ad-free tribute issue will also be available digitally on Apple's iPad.

It will feature pieces by Steve Jurvetson, John Sculley, Sean Wisely and William Gibson. The cover of the magazine features Apple-like simplicity, with a black-and-white, up close photo of Jobs and his years of birth and death.

Both magazines will join many other tributes that have begun to take shape since Jobs passed away on Wednesday. Some of Apple's partners, and even some of the company's fiercest rivals, have showed their appreciation for the contributions Jobs made to the technology industry and the world.

The homepages of both Google and Amazon featured tributes to Jobs with links to Apple's website. Even Adobe, a company with which Jobs had very publicized differences, paid respects to Jobs on its website, displaying a photo of him with Adobe co-founders Chuck Geschke and John Warnock on its front page.

The news of Jobs' death dominated headlines across the Web and in newspapers on Wednesday and Thursday. It was such a major mainstream story that even the homepage of sports network ESPN featured two headlines to inform readers of Jobs's passing.

Below is a collection of Web tributes and other acknowledgements of Jobs in the wake of his death. The memorials are joined by numerous comments shared by contemporaries like Bill Gates, Eric Schmidt and Michael Dell, as well as U.S. President Barack Obama.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This week's Time cover features a portrait of Jobs taken by Norman Seeff holding the original Macintosh.

why was norman seef holding the original macintosh?
  • Reply 2 of 35
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

why was norman seef holding the original macintosh?

There's a time and place. Suspend the nitpicking for a day or two, please.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Thank you for that, Neil.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    The outpouring of condolence has been overwhelming, almost tear jerking.

Despite the terrible news it's been wonderful reading all of the good tributes from friends, rivals and normal people alike. The amount of messages out there just goes to show how much of an inspiration and how brilliant the man was.

He deserves all of the praise and more.

It's a shame to see some of the bitching on forums and social networks but the good vastly outweighs the bad.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    That last photo of the two Steve's - two old friends - sharing a happy moment is fab.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

That last photo of the two Steve's - two old friends - sharing a happy moment is fab.

When was that pic taken?
  • Reply 7 of 35
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8rwsuXHA7RA

Absolutely tear jerking. Voiced by one of their own, to the crazy ones...
  • Reply 8 of 35
    cescocesco Posts: 52member
    Unless I missed it, somewhat surprised Jeff Bezos issued no comment.

@shen, could not get through the whole video without crying; its message became that more poignant.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Here is the unaired Think Different Campaign narrated by Steve Jobs in 1997. Please share this on whatever medium you use and lets get this to a record viewing count.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rwsu...layer_embedded
  • Reply 10 of 35
    There's business. Then, there's life that we occasionally pause for.

Nice that it can be that way, at least every once in a while.

Come Monday, it'll be back to business........
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8rwsuXHA7RA

Absolutely tear jerking. Voiced by one of their own, to the crazy ones...

And, since we have a rare moment of camaraderie across competitors, here's one you might enjoy (I thought it was quite classy, a la our own Tallest Skill's):

http://gizmodo.com/5838922/the-steve...-tribute-video
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Has anyone else noticed who is conspicuously missing from the rolls of those acknowledging Steve Job's passing? As near as I can there hasn't been a word, let a lone a tribute from Disney/Pixar, the other company that Steve Jobs saved/founded. Even if the Disney Corporation is too arrogant to admit they needed "saving," or that the Pixar purchase was a Hail Mary pass, Steve Jobs was still their largest stockholder (right?). The silence from Emeryville/Anaheim/Burbank would seem to be in poor taste.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheSnarkmeister View Post

Has anyone else noticed who is conspicuously missing from the rolls of those acknowledging Steve Job's passing? As near as I can there hasn't been a word, let a lone a tribute from Disney/Pixar, the other company that Steve Jobs saved/founded. Even if the Disney Corporation is too arrogant to admit they needed "saving," or that the Pixar purchase was a Hail Mary pass, Steve Jobs was still their largest stockholder (right?). The silence from Emeryville/Anaheim/Burbank would seem to be in poor taste.

They released a statement on their facebook page...
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

Well, Lasseter was part of the Wired main page (beautiful solemn page) last night. If you look, you'll see him there a little ways down:

http://www.wired.com/

In general the worldwide communal outpouring over Steve's death is astounding (Russia's president said some things...) - making the world a smaller place (for a short time) in a good way, Steve would have liked that.

I think I'll go watch one of the many Apple Keynotes (iPad intro maybe) that are available for free as a podcast on iTunes and think some more about this man that rocked the world.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

A chap from Pixar (can't remember who) was on our local radio this morning.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    I've lurked here for several years making AA a part of my daily morning (and whenever I had the chance) read. I read informative posts from veteran members, insightful notes from transient, infrequent posters and typical bullhonkey from trolls. It's what made it all a community experience. A human experience.

I've been an Apple product user for over 25 years and have always felt the strongest thing we had when we didn't have the killer product or app, was the sense of community. The community among apple users was some weird combination of art, ingenuity and humor. At least, that's what I always felt. Steve had an indelible impression on my life -- far before the iPod and nuovo Apple -- and I can't tell you how grateful I am for that.

As you can see, this is my first post as a registered user and I'm happy I made the departure from my own shyness and fickle reasons to join the community. And in a time when tragedy strikes in such a ubiquitous and profound way - it also gives rise to opportunities to help ourselves and each other do good...and count our own blessings. I'm going to try and do that for myself and for others here.

I just want to thank you all (esp the folks at AA) for educating me, making me laugh and, of course, recently, making me cry. Let's make Steve proud.

Mo
  • Reply 17 of 35
    cescocesco Posts: 52member
    Quote:

Disney's CEO, Bob Iger was interviewed on Nightline and also issued a statement that can be read on various sites.

http://www.examiner.com/tv-in-national/steve-jobs-video
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

There's a time and place. Suspend the nitpicking for a day or two, please.

this was a time, and a place, and an opportunity for ai to take a few extra minutes and get a piece correct for once. and they did not.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Point is, it was an insignificant grammatical error. You, and everyone else, knew what was meant...but you just had to be a...well, a Pooch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

this was a time, and a place, and an opportunity for ai to take a few extra minutes and get a piece correct for once. and they did not.

• Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Point is, it was an insignificant grammatical error. You, and everyone else, knew what was meant...but you just had to be a...well, a Pooch.

yeah, welcome to ai. we want to pass as an a adult, professional, site but, well, we're not.

expect less and we'll deliver.