Sprint confirms unlimited data plans for iPhone subscribers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Will the Sprint iphone have the GSM unlocked?

Pretty sure you have to go to an Apple Store or apple.com for unlocked versions. I don't think any carrier wants you to see that option.

Edit: There's only one handset for the U.S. and it has both sets of guts. Buying a unlocked from an Apple Store should let you take it to any of the 3 carriers for activation or activate it at the Apple Store.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It is not a bait and switch as long as Sprint honors the unlimited for the life of the contract. I know Verizon and AT&T iPhone users who still have unlimited plans who were grandfathered in. The same will be true for Sprint.

Unfortunately Sprint is so far doing a horrible job marketing / building on the iPhone 4S - as a customer I've been visiting their site regularly since the announcement Tuesday, and they've yet to indicate on their own website that they'll soon be offering the iPhone 4S. When I go to look at smartphones - as a "premier" customer - all I'm offered are Android and Windows models. Very dumb - they should be trumpeting the 4S, taking names (or offering to reach out to me when they start taking names), etc.
  • Reply 23 of 80
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Wow? Actual competition. In 2011. Who'da thunk it?

Doncha love it when AT&T gets hit in the face with a large, cold, wet fish? Do you suppose they'll respond with a competitive product that their customers actually want, or just buy a few six packs of Congressmen and have the nerdy kid beaten up at recess?
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Unfortunately Sprint is so far doing a horrible job marketing / building on the iPhone 4S - as a customer I've been visiting their site regularly since the announcement Tuesday, and they've yet to indicate on their own website that they'll soon be offering the iPhone 4S. When I go to look at smartphones - as a "premier" customer - all I'm offered are Android and Windows models. Very dumb - they should be trumpeting the 4S, taking names (or offering to reach out to me when they start taking names), etc.

It's been on their home page since late afternoon yesterday (Wednesday). I admit they should have updated their page at least by that morning, but really... you don't see it today? Even with a refresh?
  • Reply 25 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrianAI View Post

It's been on their home page since late afternoon yesterday (Wednesday). I admit they should have updated their page at least by that morning, but really... you don't see it today? Even with a refresh?

I see it there now - I don't recall when precisely I last checked yesterday.

But regardless, you have to agree that the savvy (and logical) marketing move would have been to have the page ready to come up the *second* that Cook mentioned Sprint's name on Tuesday.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrianAI View Post

Quote:

I see it there now - I don't recall when precisely I last checked yesterday.

But regardless, you have to agree that the savvy (and logical) marketing move would have been to have the page ready to come up the *second* that Cook mentioned Sprint's name on Tuesday.

Except Sprint's only offering an 8GB model (?!) for pre-order. AT&T offers 3 models (8GB, 16GB, 32GB). WTF, the 4S is in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB.

Sprint is also trying to pull a fast one by wanting to charge me $99 for the 8GB (again, ?!) iPhone 4S -- supposedly after applying a special $150 discount because I've been a customer for eons. Whereas as a new customer on AT&T, I could also get the 8GB (again, ?!?!) for $99.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Except Sprint's only offering an 8GB model (?!) for pre-order. AT&T offers 3 models (8GB, 16GB, 32GB). WTF, the 4S is in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB.

Sprint is also trying to pull a fast one by wanting to charge me $99 for the 8GB (again, ?!) iPhone 4S -- supposedly after applying a special $150 discount because I've been a customer for eons. Whereas as a new customer on AT&T, I could also get the 8GB (again, ?!?!) for $99.

Sprint offers the iPhone 4 (the 8GB version is the only iPhone 4 available for Sprint) for preorder today and will allow preorders for the 4s starting tomorrow, the same as everyone else. The text from Sprint's page below:

"While supplies last pre-order iPhone 4 online today. iPhone 4S will be available for pre-order on Friday, Oct. 7."

http://sprint.com/index_p.html
  • Reply 28 of 80
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I am really happy the iPhone is finally here on Sprint. Android was really not that bad, but I want to see what all the fuss is all about. I have also been using Apple computers since the early 80's.

I can tell you that for me Sprint service is very good. Few to no dropped calls and crystal clear voice. I also get very decent data speeds. I will miss not having WiMax but I can live without it since WiFi is so prevalent and my 3G data speeds are also plenty fast enough for browsing, Pandora, even youtube.

There are a lot of rumors that both Sprint and Verizon are upgrading their EVDO to Revision B and/or 1XAdvanced. That would mean far faster data speeds comparable to HSPA+. Sprint has a big network announcement tomorrow so we will know more.

People also forget that in addition to unlimited data, texts, and calling to mobile phones Sprint offers two other nice features with their plans. Telenav with voice turn by turn which both AT&T and Verizon charge about $10 a month for is included for free on Sprint. Also, if you call a lot of landline phones your anytime minutes start at 7PM and not 9PM like the other carriers which might help some people out. All calls to any mobile phone are unlimited so you only use your anytime minutes for landline calls.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

There are a lot of rumors that both Sprint and Verizon are upgrading their EVDO to Revision B and/or 1XAdvanced. That would mean far faster data speeds comparable to HSPA+. Sprint has a big network announcement tomorrow so we will know more.

1) EV-DO Rev. B's maximum barely reaches HSPA+'s minimum if three carriers are used.
    2) I heard rumours about Rev. B years ago but nothing since Sprint and Verizon committed to WiMAX and LTE, respectively. What would ave changed to make them add Rev. B this late in the game as the world moves toward '4G'?

Quote:

People also forget that in addition to unlimited data, texts, and calling to mobile phones Sprint offers two other nice features with their plans. Telenav with voice turn by turn which both AT&T and Verizon charge about $10 a month for is included for free on Sprint. Also, if you call a lot of landline phones your anytime minutes start at 7PM and not 9PM like the other carriers which might help some people out. All calls to any mobile phone are unlimited so you only use your anytime minutes for landline calls.

For my needs moving to Sprint over AT&T wouldn't pay any less per month yet get worse overall service by having considerable slower data rates.
    If you make a lot of calls, send a lot of text, and don't care so much about fast data speeds then Sprint sounds like it would be a good option.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    Actually Rev. B is a lot faster than that Wikipedia link. With channel bonding it can go as high as 10 down. Unless you are downloading big files a lot or tethering, really 3MB is plenty fast for a cellphone. Also what good would faster speeds do you is you have a data cap? Even the grandfathered plans are being targeted now by Verizon and AT&T for the top 5%.

1Xadvanced would also allow simultaneous voice and data.

As to why they would go with Rev B now in addition to WiMax and Lte, you must not have heard about multi-mode towers or network vision. Rev. B is a pretty minor and cheap upgrade to Rev. A already in place which will be around for many more years to supplement LTE. Don't forget there is still no VoLTE in place yet.

How much do you pay a month for your iPhone plan on AT&T? I think the free voice turn by turn is a nice feature on Sprint with Telenav though. I would really miss that and wouldn't like to have to pay about $10 a month for it. That chart you posted is a little misleading. Why would anyone get the 900 or unlimited voice plans on Sprint? The 450 minute plan gives you unlimited mobile calls so that is the plan most people would choose. So for $79 you basically get unlimited everything. Most companies also offer a large corporate discount of 20 to 25% bring it down for many people to around $59.

You might enjoy your slightly faster data speeds now, but Sprint will catch pretty soon. It already has passed AT&T if you have a 4G WiMax Android phone and live in a 4G city. Here in Atlanta I routinely get about 10Mb on average which is far faster than my friend's iPhone on AT&T. I would hate to have to watch my text, data, or voice minute usage every month after I am so used to having unlimited. To each his own. I switched from AT&T to Sprint and am far happier with coverage and prices and especially customer service. Sprint will bend over backwards to help you out now. They used to be pretty bad but in the last few years they are excellent.

Watch the Sprint announcement tomorrow for more info.

http://gizmofusion.com/2011/09/sprin...ds-on-the-way/
  • Reply 31 of 80
    I'd take Sprint over Verizon and AT&T any day of the week.

AT&T is slooooooowww where I live, and Verizon nickle and dimes you to death.

Sprint is just right.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    Quote:

Actually Rev. B is a lot faster than that Wikipedia link. With channel bonding it can go as high as 10 down. Unless you are downloading big files a lot or tethering, really 3MB is plenty fast for a cellphone. Also what good would faster speeds do you is you have a data cap? Even the grandfathered plans are being targeted now by Verizon and AT&T for the top 5%.

I don't see where the 4s or new 4 supports b.

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
  • Reply 33 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I'd take Sprint over Verizon and AT&T any day of the week.

AT&T is slooooooowww where I live, and Verizon nickle and dimes you to death.

Sprint is just right.

God bless Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    I'm dumping my Verizon iP4 for a Sprint iP4S.

I hate Verizon, and I'm really disgusted by AT&T
  • Reply 35 of 80
    Quote:

Actually Rev. B is a lot faster than that Wikipedia link. With channel bonding it can go as high as 10 down.

1) Then that's a lot slower than HSPA+ which doesn't even start until 14.4Mbps and goes up to 84Mbps.

2) Wikipedia states it correctly.

Quote:

As to why they would go with Rev B now in addition to WiMax and Lte, you must not have heard about multi-mode towers or network vision. Rev. B is a pretty minor and cheap upgrade to Rev. A already in place which will be around for many more years to supplement LTE. Don't forget there is still no VoLTE in place yet.

Again, if it's so easy, cheap and fast why was it shelved in favour of LTE and WiMAX, and in some areas for UMTS(HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+)?

Quote:

How much do you pay a month for your iPhone plan on AT&T? I think the free voice turn by turn is a nice feature on Sprint with Telenav though. I would really miss that and wouldn't like to have to pay about $10 a month for it. That chart you posted is a little misleading. Why would anyone get the 900 or unlimited voice plans on Sprint? The 450 minute plan gives you unlimited mobile calls so that is the plan most people would choose. So for $79 you basically get unlimited everything. Most companies also offer a large corporate discount of 20 to 25% bring it down for many people to around $59.

Misleading? So all those comparable price points aren't accurate? Where are they lying?

Quote:

You might enjoy your slightly faster data speeds now, but Sprint will catch pretty soon. It already has passed AT&T if you have a 4G WiMax Android phone and live in a 4G city. Here in Atlanta I routinely get about 10Mb on average which is far faster than my friend's iPhone on AT&T. I would hate to have to watch my text, data, or voice minute usage every month after I am so used to having unlimited. To each his own. I switched from AT&T to Sprint and am far happier with coverage and prices and especially customer service. Sprint will bend over backwards to help you out now. They used to be pretty bad but in the last few years they are excellent.

Aren't you not paying attention? 14.4Mbps on AT&T is not slightly faster than EV-DO Rev. A on Sprint. It's world apart.

Even ignoring the power-vampire that is WiMAX, why would you compare WiMAX when the iPhone 4S clearly doesn't have WiMAX and it's doubtful it ever will. Sprint will move to LTE and the iPhone will get LTE.

PS: Be careful what you wish for. Verizon has made efforts to stop the data hungry iPhone users and I am sure there network can handle traffic better than Sprint so you need to ask yourself how many iPhone users can Sprint get before they have to end their unlimited plans and/or throttle heavy data users.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Real competition is the only thing that keeps companies like AT&T from being stupid.

Hopefully there is a big enough exodus to help them get their mind right.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Quote:

Real competition is the only thing that keeps companies like AT&T from being stupid.

Hopefully there is a big enough exodus to help them get their mind their right.

Seen this prayer before.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Quote:

Hopefully there is a big enough exodus to help them get their mind right.

Based on Sprint's customer base loses they must be really smart by now.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Then that's a lot slower than HSPA+ which doesn't even start until 14.4Mbps and goes up to 84Mbps.

Maybe so but how does that help Americans with AT&T? Did you read this article?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...americans.html

2) Wikipedia states it correctly.

Then why are you calling 10Mbps so slow when AT&T averages much slower than that? It is like you are claiming the theoretical maximum speed and not actual network performance. It has already been confirmed that the iPhone 4S supports Rev. B just like the Evo 3d, Photon, and Galaxy SII.

Again, if it's so easy, cheap and fast why was it shelved in favour of LTE and WiMAX, and in some areas for UMTS(HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+)?

It wasn't shelved, I don't know about Verizon but Sprint had to deploy WiMax first as required by the terms of purchasing the spectrum. It is not an either/or, they can both coexist just like they do now with Rev. A EVDO. Rev. B will simply replace Rev. A to compliment WiMax and later on LTE.

Misleading? So all those comparable price points aren't accurate? Where are they lying?

I explained why. Unless you are a little slow you should have figured out that very few people would need the two higher priced plans on Sprint since the cheapest is practically unlimited. You never answered how much you pay for AT&T either.

Aren't you not paying attention? 14.4Mbps on AT&T is not slightly faster than EV-DO Rev. A on Sprint. It's world apart.

Yeah if what you are saying is true. No one in America on AT&T is getting anywhere close to 14.4Mbps. Why not report on actual AT&T performance and not theoretical maximums?

Even ignoring the power-vampire that is WiMAX, why would you compare WiMAX when the iPhone 4S clearly doesn't have WiMAX and it's doubtful it ever will. Sprint will move to LTE and the iPhone will get LTE.

I brought it up to prove that you are actually on the slowest network out of all the top 4. T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint all have faster data than AT&T. True the iPhone can't use LTE on Verizon or WiMax on Sprint or true HSPA+ on T-Mobile, but you were the one bragging about AT&T. I have been enjoying 10Mbps for several years on Sprint. How about you?

PS: Be careful what you wish for. Verizon has made efforts to stop the data hungry iPhone users and I am sure there network can handle traffic better than Sprint so you need to ask yourself how many iPhone users can Sprint get before they have to end their unlimited plans and/or throttle heavy data users.

You are sure of nothing because you obviously know very little about Sprint. Did you know that Sprint actually has far more cell towers than either AT&T or Verizon? Did you also know Sprint also has more spectrum? It is true Sprint has suffered because they have been forced to support the old Nextel network with IDEN, but with network vision all that ESMR band from Nextel and all those towers will be converted for Sprint with CDMA/WiMax/LTE. Sprint has tons of bandwidth and spectrum ready to deploy which is why they will be able to offer unlimited for quite a while.

If you want to justify your higher priced plan on craptactular AT&T that is fine. But as a former AT&T customer that is very happy he switched to a much better network your arguments are falling on deaf ears.

Just how of curiosity, how many thousands of posts did it take before you became the resident curmudgeon? Or were you always a jaded ass?
  • Reply 40 of 80
    Oh yeah, this chart is over a year old but in that time neither Sprint nor Verizon's '3G' speeds have increased whilst AT&T and T-Mobile's '3G' speeds have gone up considerably. How 'bout them Apples?
    PS: Good luck with Sprint. You should be happy not everybody is as smart as you as it will keep Sprint's network free and clear. Feel free to trick as many people as you want to move from a faster '3G' network to a slower one. You seriously have my blessing on that.