Apple's new Cards app for iOS allows users to mail custom greeting card

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced Cards, a new free application for iOS devices that will allow users to order and mail custom-printed greeting cards for any occasion.

Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president of iOS Software, unveiled the new application during his company's media event on Tuesday. Users will be able to use their own photos to create custom cards for any event that will be printed on high-quality 100 percent cotton paper.

For $2.99 in the U.S. and $4.99 anywhere else in the world, Apple will design the postage for the card and mail it for customers. Those who place an order will receive a push notification of mail delivery to their iOS device through the U.S. Postal Service.

A total of 21 different designs will be available through the application. Users will be able to create the cards on their phone, and Apple will handle the creation and mailing of the card.

The free application will be available on the App Store on Oct. 12.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    For a second there I got all excited, thinking my long lost and lamented iCards (from the old iTools) was coming back. Instead, it's just a dead trees solution with the same function that apps like Postino have offered for years. Oh well.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    When they first said iCards my heart skipped a beat and I thought this would be Apple's version of a mobile electronic wallet. Then I saw they were gunning for Hallmark.

Lame.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Braunman View Post

Why would someone want to pay $3+ to send out custom greeting cards, when they can already get them for less than a $1 at, plus a Free Trial !?!

Because, foolish advertising spambot, this is Apple. The cards will be high quality, the designs will be first rate, the interface to make them will be a fricking piece of cake, and the account used to pay for them is already in one place on the device.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because, foolish advertising spambot, this is Apple. The cards will be high quality, the designs will be first rate, the interface to make them will be a fricking piece of cake, and the account used to pay for them is already in one place on the device.

Absolutely right. These "convenience" services will also likely be tied to Siri, so you could set a card to be ordered and delivered for various birthdays, or other occasions.

Should integrate beautifully with the entire iOS experience. AAMOF, I could easily see Siri integration and cross-promotions with every service that Siri can identify (that's just about every listing in the phone book, folks!)....
  • Reply 5 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Absolutely right. These "convenience" services will also likely be tied to Siri, so you could set a card to be ordered and delivered for various birthdays, or other occasions.

Should integrate beautifully with the entire iOS experience. AAMOF, I could easily see Siri integration and cross-promotions with every service that Siri can identify (that's just about every listing in the phone book, folks!)....

Imagine if Siri gets HANDS FREE. Imagine if Siri becomes VOICE-ACTIVATED as well as controlled. Just call it by name and it will do crap for you. That way, if you're doing something (say, in the kitchen with filthy hands), you don't have to go out of your way to get stuff done.

Siri: Sir, you set a reminder to tell you to do something for your niece's birthday.

You: Oh, okay, Siri, when is my niece's birthday?

Siri: Today, sir.

You: Frick. Um, Siri, send my niece a birthday card with iCards.

Siri: iCards is open, sir. What would you like to say?

You: Happy birthday, Katelyn! I hope your birthday is wonderful! Love, your uncle.

Siri: *reads it back*

You: Er… heaven's sake, Siri, how old is Katelyn?

Siri: Katelyn is ten.

You: Siri, modify the message. Change 'I hope your birthday is wonderful' to 'I hope your tenth birthday is wonderful'.

Siri: *reads it back*

You: Good. Siri, choose the 'Kid's Party' template.

Siri: Template chosen, sir.

You: Siri, send it.

Siri: Message sent, sir.

You: Ah… I better call her, too. Siri, call Katelyn.

Siri is going to be a revolution. Conversational voice control.

But when it's always listening for you, THEN it will be truly astounding.

And "Siri" is phonetically unique enough to not get confused with much else and operate as a good command delineator.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    We just sent out a whole heaps of cards for our wedding using iPhoto and the quality is amazing.

Not sure if having this on the iOS devices is a good thing although I can see it working well on the iPad.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

We just sent out a whole heaps of cards for our wedding using iPhoto and the quality is amazing.

yep this is just an iOS version of that iPhoto feature.

as a feature in and of itself it is perhaps not that thrilling. But as a sign that Apple is opening up to making iOS is little more computer like where it is suited (creating mailboxes, photo albums, being able to delete media etc), it is more exciting.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Great. Now maybe those Send Out Cards idiots can shrivel up and blow away.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Heh. You have to love the irony.

Hallmark just started selling cards for the unemployed, and then Apple makes a play to put them out of business.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    This should also boost old school mail delivery around the world which has been declining due to the internet/email. Perhaps create jobs. I'd much prefer to receive a physical card than an electronic one.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    uniFLOW Printing. Isn't Canon suing Apple yet?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Heh. You have to love the irony.

Hallmark just started selling cards for the unemployed, and then Apple makes a play to put them out of business.

Oh, this won't put Hallmark out of business. They also have "on demand" cards.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

For a second there I got all excited, thinking my long lost and lamented iCards (from the old iTools) was coming back. Instead, it's just a dead trees solution with the same function that apps like Postino have offered for years. Oh well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

When they first said iCards my heart skipped a beat and I thought this would be Apple's version of a mobile electronic wallet. Then I saw they were gunning for Hallmark.

Lame.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

yep this is just an iOS version of that iPhoto feature.

as a feature in and of itself it is perhaps not that thrilling. But as a sign that Apple is opening up to making iOS is little more computer like where it is suited (creating mailboxes, photo albums, being able to delete media etc), it is more exciting.

Quote:

Oh, this won't put Hallmark out of business. They also have "on demand" cards.

Good lord guys, have you even looked at what Apple is offering? These are letterpress cards that incorporate your photo. Letterpress uses actual dies and pressure and ink to create an embossed surface and a very luxurious feel of quality. For $2.99 a pop they're a steal, and far nicer than all the "been there done that" examples that are getting bandied about.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Good lord guys, have you even looked at what Apple is offering? These are letterpress cards that incorporate your photo. Letterpress uses actual dies and pressure and ink to create an embossed surface and a very luxurious feel of quality. For $2.99 a pop they're a steal, and far nicer than all the "been there done that" examples that are getting bandied about.

So, you're sure the letterpress cards are the ones offered in the Cards app? If so, they are a steal.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

So, you're sure the letterpress cards are the ones offered in the Cards app? If so, they are a steal.

I don't think anyone's sure, but we'll certainly be told more once the app is available, I'd bet.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Why is there no iPad version

Hmmmmmmmmmm

• Reply 17 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Here it is.