Real Racing 2 first iOS game with 4-person split big screen action via AirPlay

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Game developer Firemint has announced a new feature for the iOS 5 update to its "Real Racing 2" game that will offer the first 4-player split-screen iOS gaming experience on an HDTV by leveraging the computing power of Apple's A5 processor and AirPlay wireless streaming technology.

The Australian studio's "Real Racing 2" franchise will now support what the company is calling "Party Play" mode, which allows two to four friends to stream a game onto one big screen, rather than being tied to the displays of their individual handheld devices.

The new technology further blurs the lines between mobile and home entertainment. Apple's AirPlay, announced last September, first allowed mobile users to stream media content from their handheld devices to their home TV's, and Firemint's Party Play promises to do the same for multiplayer gaming. A demo video of Party Play (below) shows that the A5 processor is capable of split-screen modes much like those available on dedicated home gaming consoles.

There are caveats to the service, however, as at least one player must have a device with an A5 processor, either an iPad 2 or the new iPhone 4S. An A5-equipped device will then serve as the host for the game and friends with compatible iOS devices to connect to the host, who will then stream the game data via AirPlay to an HDTV with resolutions up to 720P.

The new mode requires only one device to have an A5 processor, but connecting handsets or tablets will need to have iOS 5 installed. In addition to Party Play, the new Real Racing 2 update features higher polygon counts for car models, and refreshed 3D graphics.

Version 1.12 of Real Racing 2 and Real Racing 2 HD will be released just in time for the iOS 5 roll-out, which is scheduled to take place on Oct. 12. In the meantime, both games are currently available for purchase in the App Store. The iPhone version (iTunes link) sells for $4.99, and the iPad version (iTunes Link) costs $6.99.

Firemint had previously announced that Real Racing 2 HD would be the first iOS game to allow console-style “wireless big screen gaming” by taking advantage of Apple’s AirPlay Mirroring functionality, a notable feature of iOS 5. Earlier this year, Apple revealed the AirPlay Mirroring feature of iOS 5, allowing iOS devices to use an Apple TV-connected screen to serve as an external display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Awesome! I can't wait to play it. I'll be ordering two iPhone 4S' at midnight.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Awesome! I can't wait to play it. I'll be ordering two iPhone 4S' at midnight.

I thought you could only preorder one iPhone at a time? I hear those who want two are preordering one with Apple and one with the carrier.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Anyway, can't wait to try this after iOS 5 comes out next Wednesday!
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Nice improvement by RR2, however you need Airplay. RR2 is a great game, the best racing game on iTunes. But I wish they can provide more cars, especially I you reached the level to be "gifted" their fastest car, the McLaren F1 GTR. At this point, I haven't played RR2 as much, because there's nothing to play for.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Impressive. It just keeps getting better and better.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    The best racing game just got better. I can't wait!
  • Reply 7 of 40
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbadrobbo View Post

The best racing game just got better. I can't wait!

I'm not in the mood for games. Maybe after the funeral.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarofclay73 View Post

I thought you could only preorder one iPhone at a time? I hear those who want two are preordering one with Apple and one with the carrier.

My wife would disown me If I upgraded and didn't upgrade hers... And we're both eligible so it won't be a problem.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    I can't wait to play games like that on my iPhone 4S. That is truely an awesome feature that they really didn't go into detail about at the keynote.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I bought this game months ago, and haven't really gotten to try it yet. Maybe I should. And with the new update, it'll look even better on the iPad 2 with the new, improved graphics.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    The potential is pretty awesome, especially given the spoking support for legacy devices as long as there is an A5 hub. Glad to see an Aussie developer (Firemint) managing to punch above its weight.

I hope this is an avenue Apple will be very interested in exploring in the future. Apple TV would be a much more attractive option if they built in support for their own App store. The Wii U will probably underwhelm in the seamless connectivity department (and the tablet controller is not multitouch!!!). Apple could easily scoop up Nintendo?s share of the casual market.

A dedicated controller that merged the functionality of the xbox/playstation with tactile quality of the Gamecube controller would be very welcome too (but I?ll believe it when I see it).
  • Reply 12 of 40
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corporate View Post

I can't wait to play games like that on my iPhone 4S. That is truely an awesome feature that they really didn't go into detail about at the keynote.

Agreed. The graphics processing capabilities of the iPad 2 are excellent. Can't wait to have the A5 in my pocket.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Agreed. The graphics processing capabilities of the iPad 2 are excellent. Can't wait to have the A5 in my pocket.

I'm curious to know if Siri Assistant will be on the iPad 2. If not then there decision not to include it with the iPhone 4 goes beyond the processing power in the device.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The potential is pretty awesome, especially given the spoking support for legacy devices as long as there is an A5 hub. Glad to see an Aussie developer (Firemint) managing to punch above its weight.

I hope this is an avenue Apple will be very interested in exploring in the future. Apple TV would be a much more attractive option if they built in support for their own App store. The Wii U will probably underwhelm in the seamless connectivity department (and the tablet controller is not multitouch!!!). Apple could easily scoop up Nintendo?s share of the casual market.

A dedicated controller that merged the functionality of the xbox/playstation with tactile quality of the Gamecube controller would be very welcome too (but I?ll believe it when I see it).

how about the apple tv 3 with a5 chip and app store and multitouch pad with gyroscope and accelerometer built in for 149 dollars? would it sell well?
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

how about the apple tv 3 with a5 chip and app store and multitouch pad with gyroscope and accelerometer built in for 149 dollars? Would it sell well?

It would if Apple bought Nintendo.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

how about the apple tv 3 with a5 chip and app store and multitouch pad with gyroscope and accelerometer built in for 149 dollars? would it sell well?

How does a multitouch pad, gyroscope and accelerometer make sense for an appliance that sits next to your TV?
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How does a multitouch pad, gyroscope and accelerometer make sense for an appliance that sits next to your TV?

to play games and use it as a keyboard i guess… you can't use iPad or iPhone or iPod all the time to use apple tv… anyways, it's just my guess nothing else.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

to play games and use it as a keyboard i guess? you can't use iPad or iPhone or iPod all the time to use apple tv? anyways, it's just my guess nothing else.

1) Why can't you use wireless controllers ? like the iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone ? just like all other consoles have.

2) Explain to me how you're going to hold the AppleTV in your hand while use it like a Nintendo Wii controller? It has at least a power cord and HDMI cable in it and no ergonomics for being a handheld device.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

1) Why can't you use wireless controllers ? like the iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone ? just like all other consoles have.

2) Explain to me how you're going to hold the AppleTV in your hand while use it like a Nintendo Wii controller? It has at least a power cord and HDMI cable in it and no ergonomics for being a handheld device.

oh i think i didn't mention it clearly, i meant for wireless controller multitouch pad… ofcourse we can't use the appletv itself to play games or something…
  • Reply 20 of 40
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:

I'm curious to know if Siri Assistant will be on the iPad 2. If not then there decision not to include it with the iPhone 4 goes beyond the processing power in the device.

Wow! After reading a LOT of your posts I would have guessed you would have known it wouldn't be included until the iPad 3.

Not a jibe. I like your informative posts. Just figured you'd have thought more of this.

Personally, I think it will be exclusive to the new phone for a while...